Official: West Dodge Expressway

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

There is SO much misinformation out there on this project. Another example was a WOWT story which just aired on complaints about the dangerous fast moving traffic along 120th Street south of Dodge. A couple expressed their gratification that when the expressway is completed the traffic would be reduced as there would be would be "no access from Dodge" when it is all done. :P I suppose the light controlled intersection might slow things down a LITTLE.
Last edited by eomaha on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

removing the 120th st bridge will be one of the last things done before the expressway is opened. I guess it is going to look like the movie speeed for a while, may be a buss will jump the open section.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are pouring again

From wowt.com.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Here's a new article from the World-Hearld about installation of the concrete decking http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1415785
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And from today:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You can see they are starting to build the guard rail on the south side.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They have re-aligned west dodge road west of 120th street to the "finished" aligment. You now go down and curve around under the new expressway. Its kind of cool. Also there is a big machine that I have not seen on a road project in omaha before. There is some kind of moveable work platform that drives on the expressway and has the work platform hang off the bridge so people can work outside and below the bridge.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

when is dodge to 204 supposed to be done
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

when is dodge to 204 supposed to be done
Next fall, Infact by next fall it will all be done even the highway from the end of West Dodge Road to Valley, NE
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Brad, even the 192nd St bridge will be done by next fall? That would be great.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Brad
City Council

West Dodge crews zip along in fast lane

Post by Brad »

West Dodge crews zip along in fast lane

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1428388
The job is ahead of schedule, with Hawkins Construction Co. of Omaha having done 37 percent of the work in 20 percent of the time allotted for the project.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

I use dodge st every day going to and from work. I can't wait to drive over this thing :D
Go west young man.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I-680-West Dodge interchange nearly done; expressway has miles to go

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1433214
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a quote for everyone who complains about the new ramps on to west bound dodge.
Even with the interchange done, drivers on northbound and southbound I-680 using the ramp that connects with westbound West Dodge still will face slowdowns. The delays are due to the expressway construction, which causes backups on the ramp.
I keep saying just wait until its done.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I took a drive out West Dodge Expressway yesterday, having not been out that far in years, and was absolutely stunned by the amount of infrastructure in place or under construction out there. I mean, it's pretty impressive but obviously done well in advance of an actual demand for it, which is a good thing. It's nice to see that the NDOR is starting to learn what "planning ahead" means.

Anyway, I was seriously blown away, West Dodge effortlessly turns into 275 connecting out to Waterloo, Valley, and Fremont. There's so many overpasses, etc. and the whole thing will be very smoth once it's all done.

Of course, I'd love to see the NDOR also learn the meaning of "aesthetics" one of these days.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From WOWT.com

After a slow spring it looks like construction of the eastbound expressway is really starting to take off. In the last weeek they have set a number of pillars around the 114th St intersection
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

This is very exciting. I look for every opportunity I can to drive this road :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I made the really crude drawing to show the I680/dodge/expressway interchange.

There will be something similar on the EB side
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

On a rare trip out west I saw it from 680 and just with that one side up it looks huge.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Setting more beams on the westbound structure.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

when this section gets the beams up the entire WB section will have beams, except over 120 th street.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah I just realized that after I posted the link too. I hosted the pic now, but thanks anyways Brad. Good to know people got your back. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I decided to take the slow way home from work today to check out the new progress today. First they ave the WB deck paved from 114 almost all the way to 120th street. Second whey started painting right in front of the nissan dealership. They have an entire pier painted white and some of the beams white and some of the beams brown. If I had to guess, I would bet the bridge is going to be brown and tan like the new bridges they have built along I80 between omaha and Lincoln. Speeking of car dealerships(this should be a new topic now) did anyone catch the new Hummer addition to Huber with the "test track" they have in front?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.dor.state.ne.us/

Look how high up this is. Its like being on top of a tall building.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

OK, I was driving around today and noticed they started painting the large roadway support towers things white! I don't know if this is just primer or if its paint, but I don't know what to feel about it being painted (unless its tan, that looks good on bridges).

But anyway, this project is hauling a$$! They started putting up more beams and have been working good on paving the bridge. Also, has anyone noticed on the guardrails they have some kind of designs in them. Its really starting to come together, and think, its barely half done.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After work today It looked more like dark read and creme. The pier is creme, the bridge girders are the dark red and the sides of the bridge are creme again.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

A five-year, $24 million project to rebuild the interchange of Interstate 680 and West Dodge is on track to wrap up by the July 1 deadline.
There’s no way this is going to happen they still have a few hundred more yards of fake brick to lay and paint.
15-17, 26, 32
nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

Post by nebrwesleyan »

Does anyone know how many lanes each bridge will have. I would suppose they would have three like the rest of dodge, but shouldn't they plan for more growth?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I assume that the bridge will have three lanes in each direction, which is absolutely plenty, even taking into account future growth, considering that West Dodge Road will still exist underneath it carrying local traffic.

The expressway will serve its intended purpose well, which is to get people to and from the suburbs in their cars very smoothly.

I do wish they would rename the expressway from I-680 west to something not as confusing. "Yeah, Uncle Martin, you want to take East West Dodge Expressway, not West West Dodge Expressway."

And while they're at it, they should take the "West" off of all the major streets in Omaha. What were they thinking?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was told by someone who has a very close relative (husband) that works for one of the engineering/architect/consultant/construction firms working on this that some of them consider it a 'band-aid". That their traffic predictions show that the traffic will grow more than the new roads will be able to handle in a few years.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

What they mean to say is... automobile commuter traffic will eventually no longer be practical and mass transit solutions will need to be explored. There are much larger metro's than Omaha which still have 3 lane roads in corridors like this... the solution is not always to keep adding lanes.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Agreed.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That’s quite an expensive band-aid!
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

mass transit
In Omaha? HA!
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absoultey, loyalomahan.

Does anyone ever drive West Dodge Expressway when it's not during the morning or evening rush. It's practically deserted.

Plus, if we're going to worry about Omaha outgrowing the expressway, we need worry about planning for mass transit like others have said. The expressway is a last step for automobile provisions along west dodge.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

mass transit
In Omaha? HA!
15-17, 26, 32
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

yeah, we got you the first time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

some of them consider it a 'band-aid".
Whatever, greanted they will need an outer beltway, but this will always be needed to serve everyone from 132nd street all the way out to Elkhorn.

Also, after spending quite a few days in Des Moins last week, they could have done a few things to make all the concrete a little more decorative. Also Des Moins paints their bridges, I don't think white is a good color to paint the epressway.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I don't think white is a good color to paint the epressway.
I bet it is just primer, I dont think they would paint something white, it would pick up too much dirt. Im sure they have thought it through.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

If you drive by the one section that is painted, it looks like it is going to be white, and there are several bridges in DesMoins that are painted white, there are also a few painted an earthtone color.