$700 million I-80/29 reconstruction project

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

eomaha
County Board

$700 million I-80/29 reconstruction project

Postby eomaha » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:15 pm

A massive Interstate highway project costing more than $700 million and taking more than a decade to complete is scheduled to get under way in 2008 in Omaha and Council Bluffs.

A second Interstate 80 bridge will be built over the Missouri River to connect the two cities, and Interstates 80 and 29 will be widened and rebuilt.

The work will be the most expensive urban Interstate reconstruction project in Iowa history.

Details
- Second Missouri River bridge will be built and will carry westbound traffic (with the original
bridge being dedicated to eastbound traffic).
- Three interstate junctions in Council Bluffs, incl. I-80 and I-29 just east of the river which
today carries an average of 82,000 vehicles per day
- East and westbound lanes between the 80/29 junctions will have -6- lanes in either direction
- 2-mile stretch of I-80 on the Nebraska side will be widened with ramps at the 13th Street interchange being
rebuilt.
- A quick fix project will start in spring to add a third eastbound lane from 24th to the
eastern junction of I-80/29 to be completed in the following fall.

Mike Golwitzer does battle on eastbound I-80 in Council Bluffs every day. The Council Bluffs resident takes I-80 home every night from his Omaha business. The drive takes at least 20 minutes and can easily stretch to 40 minutes.

World Herald diagram

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:45 pm

:shock: Massive project and it’s a huge jump in capacity.
15-17, 26, 32

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:47 pm

The work will be the most expensive urban Interstate reconstruction project in Iowa history.

Interesting I thought DM would easily keep that crown.
15-17, 26, 32

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:53 pm

I do hope they build some awesome flyovers in the three complexes being redone. I know it’s just a freeway but it’s the principal of the thing.
15-17, 26, 32

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm

i'm not sure what they are doing yet but there a little construction going on on the 80 portion. it was at about 9pm but even with that traffic was backing up...
15-17, 26, 32

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 pm

They are adding a 3rd lane each direction as a temporary fix to capacity problems until they get the full-blown project in gear a few years down the road. Just between the two I-80/29 interchanges. They've been doing the prep work for a couple months now.

It's my understanding that IDOT is doing this now just to reduce the likelihood of traffic fatalities associated with under-capacity (partly because they've drug this process out so long already). Might seem kind of silly when they're just going to tear it all out in 3 years, but....they have their reasons I guess.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:19 pm

but they will never learn their lesson
15-17, 26, 32

OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Postby OPlaya » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:27 pm

Bout time they did this. If you think an hr is bad stuck in traffic just try being on this strech when a accident happens. You'll be there 2 maybe 3 hrs. I remember having to cut over and get off on 13th St. cause things were backed up.

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:06 am

Input on I-80 project wanted

Residents will have a chance to comment next month on widening and other work planned for Interstate 80 between 24th Street and the Missouri River in Omaha.

The Nebraska Roads Department, along with the State Highway Commission, will have a public hearing on the project Dec. 6. The hearing will be at 7:30 p.m. in the Bancroft Elementary School cafeteria, 2724 Riverview Blvd.

The work is part of a larger project that includes widening I-80 in Council Bluffs and rebuilding three Interstate junctions.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:29 am

I-80 widening worries neighbors

Residents who live near Interstate 80 in southeastern Omaha said Wednesday that they are already rattled by traffic noise and vibrations - and a planned widening project will make the problem worse.

Neighbors at a public hearing said noise from semitrailer trucks and other vehicles keeps them from opening their windows in the summer and prevents them from having conversations in their backyards.

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:47 am

With the state roads funds facing a (projected) serious shortfall in the next decade, a few people having been getting rather nervous about the state moving forward on this project, but (if you can trust Barry Cleaveland), we're still on track...

Bluffs' highway system a priority

There's good news for area travelers who are wondering when the state will start reconstruction work on the interstate highway system around Council Bluffs.

"Council Bluffs is next in line," said Barry Cleaveland, vice chairman of the Iowa Transportation Commission and Council Bluffs resident. "That's the direction we're headed."

The interstate is to be reconstructed in stages, with the first being the portion around the Nebraska Avenue interchange with Interstate 29 to the area just east of the South 24th Street interchange with I-29/80. That's set to get started in 2009, Cleaveland said.

The total reconstruction cost of the interstate around the city is estimated to be $1.2 billion, and the work will take years to complete, he said.

"It took seven or eight years to complete the Interstate 235 project in Des Moines, and that's half the project of Council Bluffs," Cleaveland said. "Hopefully, just 10 years here, but I don't know. It's going to be long term."

--William Jennings Bryan

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:12 pm

Wow... what happened to $700 million... now we're at $1.2 billion?  Someone update the thread title!

This can't start soon enough!

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 am

World-wide demand for steel driving up prices, that's what's happened to the $700 million cost.   Cement prices may be higher as well.

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:15 am

A public meeting about future construction work along Interstate 29/80 in Council Bluffs will be held Aug. 28 at the Mid-America Center, Rooms K-L, from 4 to 7 p.m.

Iowa Department of Transportation officials will discuss the proposed reconstruction of the 24th Street Bridge over the interstate, reconstruction of 24th Street from 27th Avenue to the interstate, and the aesthetics master plan for the Council Bluffs interstate system.

No formal presentation will be made at the meeting. Details of the projects, however, will be discussed informally.

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:14 pm

I-DOT finally has a project page up and running for this project, for anyone interested...

Council Bluffs Interstate System Improvements Project

--William Jennings Bryan

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:58 pm

Not exactly I-235 material... but still not too shabby...

Swift
Planning Board

Postby Swift » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Still better than anything NDOR has ever done.

Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby Bomaha » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Remember that is what the bridge will hopefully look soon, but it only crosses 6 lanes in that picture. In like 6 years it will have to be rebuilt again to accommodate 12 lanes plus all of those shoulders because of the dual divided highways! :lol: SCORE!!!!

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:54 pm

See those dividers on the outside of the lanes? This rendering is showing it over the fully expanded interstate.

Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby Bomaha » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:37 pm

yep i see, sorry bout that, its still cool ........12 lanes

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 pm

Stargazer wrote:Not exactly I-235 material... but still not too shabby...

I personally disagree. I really like these bridges better than one ones on I-235. There seems to be more attention to detail and a nice prairie style look

I-235 rendering:

Here's a rendering of what the bridges would look like when they incorporated "local art." I-235 certainly doesn't have this sort of detail:

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:10 am

I must have overlooked that bottom rendering some how... I do like that.  CB could do us all a big favor if they'd sweep up every last piece of business on 24th north of the interstate... this area could really start turn into something special.  Maybe something is in the works?

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:16 am

Stargazer wrote:CB could do us all a big favor if they'd sweep up every last piece of business on 24th north of the interstate... this area could really start turn into something special.  Maybe something is in the works?

The City will be widening 24th north of the interstate, as well as redoing the transition to 23rd Ave at the north end of 24th St, such that traffic will not have to make a 90-degree turn onto 23rd Ave; rather it will be a gradual curve, with 23rd Ave from the east "T-ing" into 24th Street.  The City was hopeful they could do this project concurrent with the State's 24th St. bridge project this next year, but it is likely the City project will lag the State project by 9-12 months.  The present design would impact all businesses on the west side of 24th Street, with project right of way extending into all buildings - whether that will lead to all those businesses leaving or just setting back further from the street is not 100% known at this time (some will move though, I'm pretty sure of that).

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:31 pm

Plans for South 24th Street bridge progress

The reconstruction of this bridge will be the first project in the interstate improvement plan and bids will be let in next month, said Jeff Owen, an official of the Iowa Department of Transportation.

The bridge is to be lengthen to ensure enough room underneath for the interstate to be expanded to 12 lanes. That work includes dirt excavation of the bridge's embankment, he said.

It's going to be built quicker than past bridge construction projects, he said.

"We're using some new construction techniques to shorten construction time," Owen said. . .

. . . the bridge will not only be better to drive on, but also better to look at.

On the sides of the bridges, railings will be installed in the design of the rolling hills of the nearby Loess Hills. The bridge's abutments and terrace walls will include a limestone appearance with natural creams and browns. The proposed landscape design at 24th Street will blend native and ornamental grasses with trees and perennials. There will also be rope lights on the deck.

A new South 24th Street bridge that will include artwork honoring the nearby Loess Hills is scheduled for completion next fall. It will also provide left-turn lanes onto the interstate that the current structure doesn’t have.

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:40 pm

The council also approved an agreement between the city and the Iowa Department of Transportation on obligations that each party will abide by on the construction of the new Interstate 80 bridge over the Missouri River. The IDOT will fund and build that bridge beginning next spring. The city will allow IDOT and its contractors access to the project site from city property.

The recreational trail under the bridge will remain open for use during the project, though temporary closures may occur at times.

In related news, it appears that IDOT is preparing for the construction zone at the S. 24th St. overpass, should see the lane shift for westbound in place by Thanksgiving and work on the bridge commencing shortly after that.  (I hope, anyway)

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:32 pm

Bridge work starts Bluffs project

Work on the massive Interstate widening project in Council Bluffs will begin this week as crews prepare to replace the 24th Street bridge over Interstates 80/29.

Later this week, westbound I-80/29 traffic will shift north onto the shoulder so crews can prepare the ground for installing a new bridge pier. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 pm

They have started putting up the stone retaining wall on the west side of the overpass as you head east.  Looks like it will be nice, although that is something i thought they would do after the bridge was widened and they were finishing it up...not before.  Oh well, progress is progress.
Go Cubs Go

Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Reconstruction.

Postby Allan_Love_Jr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:50 pm

It will be nice when they get it all cleaned up. I can't wait till wait till it's all done. It's gonna look real nice driving through there.
Allan Love Jr

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Work on second I-80 bridge to begin next week

There won't be much to see at first, just some clearing of trees and other preliminary work, but it's all part of the construction of a new Interstate 80 bridge over the Missouri River, one of the key initial phases of the massive interstate reconstruction project in the city. . .

Iowa is in charge of building the Interstate 80 bridge connecting Council Bluffs and Omaha, Owen said, while Nebraska is the lead agency for the new U.S. Highway 275 bridge being built to the south.

The new I-80 bridge will be built just north of the current bridge. When it's completed in 2010, all eastbound and westbound traffic will be shifted over to that bridge so that the current bridge can be reconstructed, Owen said.

When reconstruction of the current bridge is complete, it will carry eastbound traffic, while the new bridge will carry westbound vehicles. Each bridge will carry a minimum of four, possibly five, lanes of traffic. The construction of the new bridge will land some 50 to 100 feet on the Nebraska side, where that state will take over, Owen said. On the Iowa side, it will end just west of the I-29/80 western interchange. . .

Jensen Construction Co. of Des Moines has been awarded the contract for the bridge project. The estimated cost is $56.1 million.

The South 24th Street bridge reconstruction project is expected to be finished in the fall. It will feature two through lanes in each direction and accommodations for left-turn lanes at the interstate on-ramps. Pedestrian access will be available on both sides of the bridge. . .

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:19 pm

D.C. Ambassadors seek federal aid for city projects

Transportation improvements, especially for the reconstruction of the interstate system around Council Bluffs, were key priorities for federal aid during this week's annual DC Ambassadors trip to Washington, according to the Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce. . . .

City Engineer/Public Works Director Greg Reeder, a member of the group, requested $5 million in federal funds for an $8 million project to widen South 24th Street from Interstate 29/80 to 23rd Avenue. This project would widen the four existing lanes, plus add a left-turn lane, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Work beginning on the IA side.  Besides tree removal, there is shoulder work going on.  There are also retaining walls going up on south 24 street by the new JC Penny.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:33 pm

There are cranes doing work on the Iowa side.  It looks like they are getting ready to start bridge construction.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Postby ItsAllAboutMe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 am

Nice new website for information on this project

http://www.cbinterstate.com

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:59 am

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Nice new website for information on this project

http://www.cbinterstate.com

Umm, yeah, it's already been linked on about the middle of the previous page though..... :;):

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Daily Nonpareil wrote:Westbound traffic on Interstate 29/80 by the South 24th Street bridge will need to be closed Saturday evening for repair work on the bridge, the Iowa Department of Transportation has announced. The interstate will be closed for eastbound traffic the following evening, the department said.

The Saturday closure for westbound traffic will begin at 11:30 a.m. and continue through Sunday at 9 a.m. The Sunday closure for eastbound traffic will begin at 10 p.m. and continue through Monday at 6 a.m.

Motorists will exit the interstate at the 24th Street off-ramp, cross that street and continue on the 24th Street on-ramp to re-enter the interstate, the department said.

The department also said that beginning Thursday westbound interstate traffic would be shifted towards the median. Two traffic lanes will be maintained. On Friday, 24th Street over the interstate will be reduced to one lane in each direction with a middle turn lane.

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 am

Work on the 24th Street bridge is coming along, the center support pier for the southbound lanes is in place with decorative concrete work, and just yesterday the main girders have been put in place from abutment to abutment - pretty impressively sized I might add!  Hopefully this continues to get fast-tracked, because traffic is a real beach right now.

--William Jennings Bryan

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Effort under way to rename I-80 bridge in honor of Dodge

In just a few years - 2011 to be exact - the 150th anniversary, or sesquicentennial as it's called, will be observed marking the beginning of the Civil War.

Plans have already started in Iowa to mark the somber event. In fact, the Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening will receive a request on a project by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Department of Iowa.

This organization, or SUVCW, is seeking local government approval to rename 12 river bridges along the original route of U.S. Highway 6, which is the National Grand Army of the Republic Highway. The request is to name these bridges for the finest of Iowa's Civil War generals. . . .

The state's westernmost bridge on the highway is that on Interstate 80 over the Missouri River. The honoree chosen for this bridge is Major General Grenville M. Dodge, who lived in Council Bluffs. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 pm

It would be a lot better if they were renaming a "Cool" bridge not the typical one they are building!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:07 pm

i agree.  I think it would be cooler if they renamed the 24Th street bridge that instead.  That whole thing is going to be nice looking...and fitting of a name other than "24Th street bridge".
Go Cubs Go

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:14 pm

thenewguy wrote:i agree.  I think it would be cooler if they renamed the 24Th street bridge that instead.  That whole thing is going to be nice looking...and fitting of a name other than "24Th street bridge".

I was thinking this:

and this:

As opposed to this:
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Return to “Transportation”