Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Omababe wrote:So?

Anybody know what they are building on the north end of the south parking lot?
I was told by my shuttle bus driver that it is for the car rental agencies.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Omababe wrote:So?

Anybody know what they are building on the north end of the south parking lot?
I was told by my shuttle bus driver that it is for the car rental agencies.
Could be getting the parking garage expansion started after they move the car rentals.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

I don't know if we have any industry 'insiders' here, but I'm super frustrated and I am trying to at least understand the issue.

I have lived in Chicago for 16 years. I routinely fly back to Omaha. Back in 2000, i could get roundtrips for $70 or so. For most of the last 10-12 years, a roundtrip was $120, creeping up to $150 sometimes.

For the last year or so AA, UA, and Southwest are all routinely $300 or more, sometimes $270. They are staying in lockstep on fares, and they just keep going up. Meanwhile, I see lots of other destinations have gone down. It's often massively cheaper to fly to Las Vegas, Orlando, San Diego, or even Lincoln.

Now, clearly, some of this is capacity. UA used to fill 757s to Omaha regularly, and now they mostly fly regional jets, AA as well. Southwest obviously is still 737-based. But, these flights routinely seem full, and one would think one of them would increase capacity...

I just don't get it, and it's frustrating as heck.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I agree, Asten. I have no idea why OMA-Chicago flights have soared in cost in the past two years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

$270-$300 for a round trip Omaha-Chicago seems like ridiculous price gouging to me..

Sheesh :koko: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:$270-$300 for a round trip Omaha-Chicago seems like ridiculous price gouging to me..

Yep, absolutely. It's very much limited our trips back, or we're driving more often now. And let me tell you, I-88 across Illinois makes I-80 across Nebraska immensely more interesting (albeit, still longer)
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Asten wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:$270-$300 for a round trip Omaha-Chicago seems like ridiculous price gouging to me..

Yep, absolutely. It's very much limited our trips back, or we're driving more often now. And let me tell you, I-88 across Illinois makes I-80 across Nebraska immensely more interesting (albeit, still longer)
MDW is maxed out for Southwest, no more gate space, more demand than gate space. That said, Southwest has raised their prices for Midway to match supply with demand across the nation. United and American then match the increased southwest prices.

If you look at Southwest.com and their latest fare sale going on now, you can fly to Chicago for about $200 roundtrip during off-peak times.

Omaha (Eppley) to
To Chicago (Midway), IL starting at $101 one-way
To Dallas (Love Field), TX starting at $80 one-way
To Denver, CO starting at $82 one-way
To Las Vegas, NV starting at $178 one-way
To Los Angeles, CA starting at $177 one-way
To Phoenix, AZ starting at $138 one-way
To St. Louis, MO starting at $111 one-way
To Washington (Reagan National), DC starting at $92 one-way

One thing to consider, American has been increasing their service to Chicago from Omaha. 2 years ago, they were only at 4 flights a day and less than 200 seats per day each way. This summer, they will be at 6 flights a day with bigger planes and around 425 seats each way per day. Big increase.

Come August, United will be up to 4 full size planes per day (Airbus and Boeing) vs regional jets.

I would guess that depending on the day of the week and time of year...ie (August), there will be some decent prices coming up. The days of $100 roundtrip are long gone and should be because you can't make money off of that price but I wouldn't be surprised to get a few sales for $150-$160 roundtrip, especially for this coming August-October time frame. This won't come until the time gets closer though.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

joleo :clap:

100% accurate.

Yes, the development you are seeing is for the temp. set up for rental cars as the garage housing them currently will be torn down for the new 6-story garage which will sit in its place.
jimyedy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jimyedy »

I want to clear up the confusion regarding the possiblity of international travel at OMA. The airport does not have a Federal Inspection Station (FIS)-i.e. Customs, which is required to process all travelers arriving on non-stop international flights. There will be no international flights until there is one of these offices in Omaha or there are certain cities (Cancun for example) that are certified as pre-clearance destinations which would eliminate the requirement for a FIS.

I will tell you that there are airlines that would probably fly periodic flights to Cancun from OMA right now if there was one of these offices. Cancun is one of the top requested destinations not currently served direct out of Omaha. In fact I think it is 1 or 2. Boston is high as well if I remember correctly.

How do you get one of these stations? It is federally operated and staffed. A local governing body must petition the federal government. I would certainly use your email and have your friends do the same to contact OAA board members/employees to say you want non-stop flights to Cancun or the Bahamas. Still with the federal government unable to patrol the boarders as is, there are not a lot of excessive customs agents sitting around waiting to staff a FIS full-time in OMA. I can't speak at all to the likelihood of this but I can tell you that is what is necessary and communication with those that run the airport is never a bad thing. You would be amazed at what you can learn about potential expansion just by asking.

I am not affiliated in anyway with the OAA or Eppley. I simply love Omaha and want expansion at Eppley like all of us here so I have posed questions to those who operate it. I suggest anyone interested in more progress to do the same.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jimyedy wrote:I want to clear up the confusion regarding the possiblity of international travel at OMA. The airport does not have a Federal Inspection Station (FIS)-i.e. Customs, which is required to process all travelers arriving on non-stop international flights. There will be no international flights until there is one of these offices in Omaha or there are certain cities (Cancun for example) that are certified as pre-clearance destinations which would eliminate the requirement for a FIS.

I will tell you that there are airlines that would probably fly periodic flights to Cancun from OMA right now if there was one of these offices. Cancun is one of the top requested destinations not currently served direct out of Omaha. In fact I think it is 1 or 2. Boston is high as well if I remember correctly.

How do you get one of these stations? It is federally operated and staffed. A local governing body must petition the federal government. I would certainly use your email and have your friends do the same to contact OAA board members/employees to say you want non-stop flights to Cancun or the Bahamas. Still with the federal government unable to patrol the boarders as is, there are not a lot of excessive customs agents sitting around waiting to staff a FIS full-time in OMA. I can't speak at all to the likelihood of this but I can tell you that is what is necessary and communication with those that run the airport is never a bad thing. You would be amazed at what you can learn about potential expansion just by asking.

I am not affiliated in anyway with the OAA or Eppley. I simply love Omaha and want expansion at Eppley like all of us here so I have posed questions to those who operate it. I suggest anyone interested in more progress to do the same.

Thanks for joining and adding some insight here. Hope you stick around and partake in discussions.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
jimyedy wrote:I want to clear up the confusion regarding the possiblity of international travel at OMA. The airport does not have a Federal Inspection Station (FIS)-i.e. Customs, which is required to process all travelers arriving on non-stop international flights. There will be no international flights until there is one of these offices in Omaha or there are certain cities (Cancun for example) that are certified as pre-clearance destinations which would eliminate the requirement for a FIS.

Thanks for joining and adding some insight here. Hope you stick around and partake in discussions.
Agreed. Thanks for the Intel :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I thought this was interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... /82880662/
Good to see. I hear all the time talking about how they love Eppley for simplicity. It is easy for travelers to get in and out of and close to downtown and hotels. I haven't flown a ton lately, but when traveling to other airports, it is pretty obvious that we have a pretty nice setup. My only wish is that the airport had a little more updated facade and feel, but all in all it is pretty nice when you consider the ease of getting to bag check and screening.
CharleyBarley
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CharleyBarley »

I love Eppleys simplicity. I was there this past week and they were updating the bathrooms on the B gates side. Really nice new marble looking tile and pretty neat new sinks that had little soap, water, blow dry stations all in one spot. It looked like they had updated the exit hallway too on the other side of the security area wall.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

NovakOmaha wrote:I thought this was interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/fl ... /82880662/
My daughter lives in Tampa so I fly into Tampa International often. It is a very nice airport and laid out really well. Also lots of amenities once you have gotten into the terminal
Imissomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Imissomaha »

I used to live in Omaha and flew out about 20 times a year. I always thought it was one of the easiest to access. I flew to Fresno one way from OMAha three weeks ago for only 150.00. Which I thought was incredible considering it's usually 300-400.00.
San Diego is a big city, but is also very easy and close to it's downtown.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Imissomaha wrote:San Diego is a big city, but is also very easy and close to it's downtown.
It's also a thrill ride coming in from the east. I swear I can read the sign for India Street as the plane comes in. :)
Imissomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Imissomaha »

Flying out of Nashville in a few minutes and saw a zoo store in concourse C. Hum...is there a zoo store for Omaha zoo at airport? If not...should there be one? The zoo here doesn't even come close to Omaha's.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Imissomaha wrote:Flying out of Nashville in a few minutes and saw a zoo store in concourse C. Hum...is there a zoo store for Omaha zoo at airport? If not...should there be one? The zoo here doesn't even come close to Omaha's.
There should DEFINITELY be a zoo store in the airport.
OMATOL
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OMATOL »

The announcement a lot of you have been waiting for...

United is launching daily non-stop service to San Francisco on Sept. 8! Aircraft will be an Embraer 175 (76 seats).

http://www.omaha.com/money/united-to-of ... 6be65.html

In the last three years, the OAA has added nonstops to SEA, PDX, OAK, SFO, and LAX on two airlines. Amazing.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Just need Boston (I'd use this multiple times a year once I move back to the States) and Omaha would have a really good lineup of flights. Also if Delta could switch their NYC flight to JFK for international transfers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OMATOL wrote:The announcement a lot of you have been waiting for...
United is launching daily non-stop service to San Francisco on Sept.
About time... How many companies in Omaha have their HQs in the Bay Area?
Bank of the West
LinkedIn
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Umm.....

Google
Yahoo
Paypal
EBay
Wells Fargo
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Timing on the OMA-SFO flight is perfect for Asian connections as well.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Mr.Nuke wrote:Timing on the OMA-SFO flight is perfect for Asian connections as well.
Yeah, but lousy 747's for the next couple years :cry:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

lmdramos wrote:Just need Boston (I'd use this multiple times a year once I move back to the States) and Omaha would have a really good lineup of flights. Also if Delta could switch their NYC flight to JFK for international transfers.
Boston,Philly,Miami and or ft Lauderdale,Baltimore,Dulles,jfk,Tampa,Toronto,...gateways to Europe and south America

San Diego,Nashville,new Orleans,other leisure spots

Still work to do
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Chris Martin (Omaha Airport Authority) has said that they are targeting Boston as their next direct flight.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News ... rn-artists
Eppley Airfield in Omaha was set Wednesday for the opening of what promoters are calling the world's first interactive airport art gallery.

Gallery Eppley by Hudson adjoins a Hudson Booksellers store in the airport’s north terminal. It houses work from more than 50 Midwestern artists in 10 mediums, including paintings, glasswork, bronze sculptures and wood.

Unique about the gallery is that artists will often work in-house, with their efforts projected on two video screens outside the store to passengers in the terminal.

Artists Russell and Penny Christensen, a married couple who specialize respectively in bronze sculpting and painting, will staff the store.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds cool, but the fact that it is before the TSA checkpoint just like the bar and restaurants make it kinda pointless.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

YES! ! ! LOVE to see this happening at the airport. Something unique that you can go to escape after landing. Love it! :clap:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Sounds cool, but the fact that it is before the TSA checkpoint just like the bar and restaurants make it kinda pointless.
Exactly, I really hope the new Airport Terminal moves all this stuff down where people are killing time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Still, I think the galley is pretty cool news...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
OMATOL wrote:The announcement a lot of you have been waiting for...
United is launching daily non-stop service to San Francisco on Sept.
About time... How many companies in Omaha have their HQs in the Bay Area?
Bank of the West
LinkedIn
Bomaha wrote:Umm.....

Google
Yahoo
Paypal
EBay
Wells Fargo
Applied Underwriters
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

March Traffic was up 0.4%

http://www.flyoma.com/images/March_2016 ... istics.pdf

I'm not sure what is going on but they used to have the traffic stats from the previous month up on the website within 2 (3 weeks max). The March statistics are not up but you can manually change February to March in the URL and get the March stats to pull up...if anybody is interested.

Does anybody have an airport contract they can ask on why the statistic posting has slowed down?

To note, I expect June to be up significantly from last year. Changes from last year:
Additional June 2016 Flights vs June 2015 flights:
United...about the same.
Southwest...1x daily to Dallas and 1x daily to Washington DCA on 143 seat planes that didn't operate last June.
Frontier...using a bigger plane and going daily vs only 4x weekly last June to denver.
Alaska...1 x daily 76 seat plane to Portland. Change Seattle from a 76 seat plane to a 160 seat Boeing 737-800.
American...new 1x daily LAX (120 seat A319 plane). Dallas DFW is going to 6x daily but total number of seats is about the same as last year with plane size changes.
Delta...about the same overall.
Allegiant...should be up around 50% overall with addition of Orlando-SFB this June over last June.

Note in September of 2016...United starts SFO with a 76 seat plane and they also are switch most of their other flights to full size Boeing and Airbus planes for a 20%+ increase in seats over 2015.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

CharleyBarley wrote:I love Eppleys simplicity. I was there this past week and they were updating the bathrooms on the B gates side. Really nice new marble looking tile and pretty neat new sinks that had little soap, water, blow dry stations all in one spot. It looked like they had updated the exit hallway too on the other side of the security area wall.
I noticed this when flying out last week. Very nice, and much larger than the restroom it replaced.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omababe wrote:
Imissomaha wrote:San Diego is a big city, but is also very easy and close to it's downtown.
It's also a thrill ride coming in from the east. I swear I can read the sign for India Street as the plane comes in. :)
Indeed. When you look out your plane window while still flying and look UP at the buildings it is more than a bit startling, at least for novice fliers to San Diego.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ever hear of a Southwest Airlines Plane flying from Chicago to Seattle stopping in Omaha just to Refuel?

http://www.ketv.com/news/southwest-flig ... d/40066926
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Ever hear of a Southwest Airlines Plane flying from Chicago to Seattle stopping in Omaha just to Refuel?

Oh, that Lil Wayne, up to his tricks again?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Ever hear of a Southwest Airlines Plane flying from Chicago to Seattle stopping in Omaha just to Refuel?

Oh, that Lil Wayne, up to his tricks again?
Either that, or jet fuel is cheaper in Omaha?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

WN 3487
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA3487

Maybe we will learn more tomorrow. http://avherald.com/ doesn't have data from today.