Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote: Where did you get the pdew data? Could you post a link? Also, how does pdew differ from o/d? Thanks
Last question first. PDEW is the common measure for O/D. PDEW= o/d

The PDEW data came from the Department of Transportation's Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Reports here: https://www.transportation.gov/policy/a ... are-report

Tables 6 and 1A are of the most value for this exercise. 6 lists every city pair that averaged at least 10 passengers daily one-way and 1A breaks down city pairs into individual airports. So if we want to see how many passengers are going to/from Omaha to Chicago via O'Hare vs. Midway or to New York City via Newark vs. LaGuardia vs. JFK we can do so there. The passenger data on both charts is listed as one-way passenger trips per day. To convert to PDEW (passengers daily each way) that column needs to be divided by two. The only other thing to note is that Omaha may be listed in either the first or second city column so you need to look in both places.
Being a numbers and stats geek, thanks for the link.. Some really interesting and insightful information :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

http://www.dmgov.org/Government/CityCou ... s/20160808 Airport Update.pdf

Above is the report for the Des Moines Airport. Does a report like this exist for the Omaha airport? I found it extremely interesting, especially the charts on each airline and how profitable each city is relative to the airline. (I love statistics!!)
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Regional jets don't bother me as much as talkative seatmates. I've considered learning American Sign Language to play deaf, or wearing Amway/Quixtar apparel to deter people from trying to talk to me.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

damonhynes wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Southwest only flies 737 variants, so I can only assume you're talking about United Express (which doesn't fly to Hobby).
Wikipedia lists United proper as seasonal service to IAH, and it looks like that season starts soon. You can book non-RJs on their 5:45am flight.
About every few months I have to fly to Houston. The only direct flight is Untied [sic] and with the exception of the last flight back, all I remember are the toy planes, which I really do not care for. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a full-size plane the one time! I actually thought they had the wrong gate listed.

Hobby is much closer to where I have to go and the new flight looks promising, depending on the schedule and price, of course.
I flew OMA-IAH back in 2010 and it was three 737s a day, including the new-plane-smell one I was on.

Wednesday 03 Aug, nothing but RJs. And my E170 leaving at 6PM was about 3/4ths full. :-(
Given there are over 50,000 people in Omaha who are Hispanic, I would think many would travel to Latin American countries often. Does anyone have any data on this? IAH serves many destinations in Mexico and beyond, but perhaps most people are connecting in Denver or Chicago? I did a search for flights to Chihuahua and Guadalajara Mexico and I saw United matching American's price--American's layover is in DFW. I also saw Delta sending people through Atlanta but there are two layovers (or one long layover) with Delta.

Given the substantial growth of immigrant communities from countries south of the USA, it makes me wonder if the travel needs of these communities will be the ones that compel airlines to start regular international flights from Omaha. Cross your fingers!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

daveoma wrote:
Given there are over 50,000 people in Omaha who are Hispanic, I would think many would travel to Latin American countries often. Does anyone have any data on this? IAH serves many destinations in Mexico and beyond, but perhaps most people are connecting in Denver or Chicago? I did a search for flights to Chihuahua and Guadalajara Mexico and I saw United matching American's price--American's layover is in DFW. I also saw Delta sending people through Atlanta but there are two layovers (or one long layover) with Delta.

Given the substantial growth of immigrant communities from countries south of the USA, it makes me wonder if the travel needs of these communities will be the ones that compel airlines to start regular international flights from Omaha. Cross your fingers!
If Omaha to Toronto is 16 passengers a day, I'm guessing Chihuahua and Guadalajara are 1.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

damonhynes wrote:Wednesday 03 Aug, nothing but RJs. And my E170 leaving at 6PM was about 3/4ths full. :-(
My experience is that the morning and mid afternoon flights are mostly full, but almost always with obvious open seats. The late-night full-size flight I had a while back was maybe 1/2 full, if that.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

joleo wrote: Omaha to Houston - Hobby on Southwest was announced today. Daily nonstop starting in the middle of March!
I’m not too surprised there given the existing O/D demand to the city as well as the connection potential particularly internationally.
joleo wrote: I really want Southwest to start Omaha to MSP. Right now, only 55 people fly each way as was mentioned above but prices are horribly expensive. If Southwest were to start this, I would expect that 55 people to go to 200-250 people easy! It is a very short flight but it's a 6-hour drive having to go through Des Moines. There is no direct angled highway.
I don’t think it is that simple. If we were to pro-con this really the only pro is a consumer based issue and no so much an airline/profitability issue. The obvious perceived pro is that Southwest offering a flight to Minneapolis would lower prices on the route. I’d agree. There is little doubt that Delta and Northwest before the merger has enjoyed a pricing premium on the direct flight. That said, while I’ve seen outrageous prices on this route in particular and paid an asinine amount for a family member that needed specific dates around Christmas, checking random dates over the next three months for a 2 night stay I was mildly impressed. On average, the direct flights were $300-$400 most days with the lowest I found being $280. On some trips were Delta was offering roughly $400, United was offering about $20 less. That said, United’s total travel time including a layover in O’Hare was 4 to 4 and a half hours, largely negating the option to drive. Q4 DOT data indicated an average fare paid of $361 on the route.

The cons for Southwest entering the market are numerous and by no means not limited to the following.
The drive- as someone who makes said trip about once a year at least, it isn’t that bad. From airport to airport it is 378 miles. With a 70 mph speed limit in Iowa and Minnesota, if you drive the limit that is under 5 and a half hours. Average 5 mph over the limit and it is 5 hours flat. Denver and Chicago an hour or two further away.

Lack of O/D Demand- This isn’t trivial. 55 PDEW is low. Is some of the price related where people are seeing $400 prices and weighing it versus about $60-70 worth of gasoline? Probably. But nowhere near the 200-250 that you think would magically start flying if Southwest added a single flight. Furthermore, you have to pry those 55 away by presumably offering lower prices. Great for the consumer, not great for the airline.

Lack of connections- Most of Omaha’s Southwest routes set up natural connections. From Midway you can go a ton of places one stop. From Denver, Las Vegas or Phoenix you can connect to California and the West. From St. Louis multiple East/Southeast options. From Texas the same as well as the international destinations from the new Houston flight. Of Southwest's 9 full season scheduled destinations, they fly to 4 of them already. Atlanta and Baltimore can easily be connected to from Midway and St. Louis. And I don't see many people flying from Omaha to Minneapolis to go to Kansas City. This is something that really kills viability because as we’ll see with Delta, they’re not flying Omaha to Minneapolis for O/D traffic. They’re really only doing it to connect people to a hub.

PDEW vs. actual seats- We established in Q4 of 2015 on average there were 55 passengers flying daily each way O/D for OMA-MSP. In that same quarter, Delta few an average of 503 seats to MSP and 503 seats from MSP to Omaha daily. Of those 411 seats on average daily OMA-MSP were occupied and 409 MSP-OMA. That is an 81% load factor, something that will come into play later.

What this tells is that if there were 110 total O/D daily passengers (PDEW X 2) and roughly 774 total passengers flying Omaha to Minneapolis and Minneapolis to Omaha daily, only 14% of the passenger’s at best on Delta’s flights in Q4 were O/D. The other 86% were connecting to somewhere other than MSP or coming to Omaha from somewhere other than MSP. In other words, on a 100 seat fully filled plane only 14 people on that flight were actually going to Minneapolis on average. The other way of looking at this is Delta is operating 7 flights from OMA-->MSP tomorrow. If our 55 PDEW are distributed evenly you’d expect only roughly 8 passengers on each of the 7 flights to have MSP as their final destination. This ties back strongly to the previous two bullets about a lack of O/D traffic and SW’s inability for connecting traffic at MSP.

Load Factor/ Seat capacity and Delta’s obvious response if Southwest entered the market- As mentioned above, in Q4 Delta’s combined load factor for both flights to Minneapolis and from Minneapolis to Omaha was roughly 81%. This also means on average they had 94 seats unsold per day or over the 7 flights they’ll operate tomorrow (we’ll see what their winter capacity ends up being on the route) you’d expect an average of 13 empty seats per generic flight.

If Southwest were to hypothetically launch a flight on ~140 seat 737, Delta has so much extra capacity on the route with those 94 seats that they could massively undercut them. This is taking it to the extreme a bit, but it illustrates my point. Delta is operating those 7 flights for frequency to its hub regardless. At an 81% load factor they literally have 94 seats they could sell for $1 or $5 or some trivial amount of money that would keep you from thinking about booking your ticket with Southwest on the route. Plus, they have 7 different times you can choose from to Southwest’s one flight.

If this was a market that had quadruple the o/d demand or if Southwest had a hub (and there are legitimate factors from keeping that from happening at MSP: Delta protecting a fortress hub, two LCCs in the market already with Spirit and home team Sun Country) then it would be a different story.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

daveoma wrote: Wow this surprises me. I thought that since United was directing so many people to Houston that their aircraft would be larger. I did a search for a round trip and with the exception of one A 319, they're all Embraer regional jets.
I don't know how much of the traffic from Omaha they're directing through Houston. It was one thing when it was Continental and the options from Omaha (and pretty much their two main hubs) were Newark and Houston. With the merger with United, a ton of their traffic has been shifted to the closer Denver and particularly O'Hare hubs. O'Hare looks like it is about to get up-gauged big time.
Tomorrow's schedule from OMA-ORD shows 1X ERJ-170 (large regional) 1xCRJ-700 (regional), 1xERJ-145 (45 seat regional), 1xA320, 1X737. Second Tuesday in December is 2X A319, 1XA320, 1X737, 1XERJ-175. If that holds, that is a significant increase.
daveoma wrote: Given there are over 50,000 people in Omaha who are Hispanic, I would think many would travel to Latin American countries often. Does anyone have any data on this? IAH serves many destinations in Mexico and beyond, but perhaps most people are connecting in Denver or Chicago? I did a search for flights to Chihuahua and Guadalajara Mexico and I saw United matching American's price--American's layover is in DFW. I also saw Delta sending people through Atlanta but there are two layovers (or one long layover) with Delta.

This is where the math gets fairly obvious again. Take your 50,000 people. Even assuming they all want to fly back to their home countries. 50,000 is only 137 a day or 68 daily each way from Omaha and that is roughly all of your Hispanic immigrants together. We haven’t figured in that many of them are going to want to go to different countries are even vastly different places within say Mexico. As an example the same source I used for the Toronto and Cancun data shows that in 2011 there were 6,880 total passengers for Omaha to Guadalajara, ranking 7th for international destinations behind Toronto. That equates to 9.42 PDEW. What you might see happen if Omaha had an FIS facility is more one off charters popping up like a once a year trip to Guadalajara. That said, it will be Cancun that makes or breaks Omaha international traffic, and if Cancun gets pre-clearance that shuts down anything else for the foreseeable future.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

jessep28 wrote:Regional jets don't bother me as much as talkative seatmates. I've considered learning American Sign Language to play deaf, or wearing Amway/Quixtar apparel to deter people from trying to talk to me.
I fly a ton. I've found that if I don't feel like chatting I just say that I have to take a pill and sleep and I hope you don't mind, or get out my laptop or phone & tell them that I have lots of work to do & sorry but I just don't have time to chat. Enjoy your flight. On the other hand, if I just want them to leave me alone I tell them that I'm an insurance agent & have they thought about final expense insurance. They run away.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

NovakOmaha wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Regional jets don't bother me as much as talkative seatmates. I've considered learning American Sign Language to play deaf, or wearing Amway/Quixtar apparel to deter people from trying to talk to me.
I fly a ton. I've found that if I don't feel like chatting I just say that I have to take a pill and sleep and I hope you don't mind, or get out my laptop or phone & tell them that I have lots of work to do & sorry but I just don't have time to chat. Enjoy your flight. On the other hand, if I just want them to leave me alone I tell them that I'm an insurance agent & have they thought about final expense insurance. They run away.
I just put in earbuds regardless of if I'm listening to anything.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
I just put in earbuds regardless of if I'm listening to anything.

WINNER DO the same thing.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote: I just put in earbuds regardless of if I'm listening to anything.
WINNER DO the same thing.
Same here. I might not be listening to music, but I pretend I don't here them. Heck, I've spoken fake Slavic on some occasions...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I find that if I don't ask questions and give short answers it gives the chatty cathys nothing to work with and they give up.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Being a numbers and stats geek, thanks for the link.. Some really interesting and insightful information :thumb: ...
Thanks as you can tell I love analytically looking at things. A couple of more resources are forthcoming below.
joleo wrote: Does a report like this exist for the Omaha airport? I found it extremely interesting, especially the charts on each airline and how profitable each city is relative to the airline. (I love statistics!!)
The short answer is unfortunately no. No such report as that one exists for Omaha. The slightly longer answer is they subscribe to a company like one of these.
https://diio.net/
https://www.airportsusadataminer.com/ai ... taminerv2/
http://www.airlinedata.com/

The slightly longer answer yet is that those companies are mostly relying on publicly available DOT data. The fact that they’ve been able to create companies in large part on analyzing DOT data tells you how cumbersome it is to pull mass meaningful information out of the DOT presentation easily. These are screenshots from diio showing how easily they can extract the data. https://www.diio.net/products/diio-ci/i ... creenshots

From your DSM pdf

Slides 3-6 can be found via the DOT with some digging in some cases.
Same with 8-10 via either the DOT or the airport’s traffic stats on their individual websites.
Slide 11 with load factors can be found at this link for either an airport in general or a specific carrier at a given airport (as well as passengers, flights, revenue passenger miles (RPM), available seat miles (ASM))---> This site is awesome for big picture information i.e. Omaha or a specific carrier at Omaha. If we want specific route information, you need to delve deeper.
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=5
Slide 12 with average fares by airport can be found here. Average fares per city pair per quarter can be found via the DOT table 6 that I previously linked to.
https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/airfares/c ... itan-areas
13-18 is where their access to a database really pays off. Available seat miles for a city pair (the ASM in their RASM) can easily be obtained from the DOT T-100 table here. http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Fields.asp?Table_ID=293

This is the same table I used in my long post last night in response to your MSP post. Said table showed me how many seats Delta flew to and From Omaha to Minneapolis as well as how many people were on those flights. That right there is load factor for OMA-MSP-OMA. I combined that with the PDEW data from DOT Table 6 to figure out that roughly only 17% of the people flying on Delta to MSP were flying to MSP as their destination (starting to see why those companies can make money on their analytical software even though the data is all there). One thing to note here is that data is separated by carrier and plane type within a carrier. So for even one month in Q4 there were 10 different entries for OMA-MSP be it a regional carrier or Delta operating an A320, B717, etc. Unlike the DOT table 6 I linked to in a previous post this one takes a bit more time to go through.

The problem is figuring out the revenue. From what I understand, DB1B another DOT table yet here http://www.transtats.bts.gov/DatabaseInfo.asp?DB_ID=125 contains market revenue. I’ve never had good luck with that table and currently lack access or a similar program on my computer to try and analyze it. Again though this is where some of those companies come in for the professionals that with telling it you want RASM for OMA-ORD it will search the 4 or 5 DOT tables that we’ve discussed, pull the data together, and instantly produce a report.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Good info. Thanks again Mr. Nuke :thumb: ..

And as it relates to earphones, I do the same.. Even at the office.. And even if I'm not listening to music. Just to keep the "chatter boxes" away :music: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Has Eppley started construction on the new parking garage yet?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.flyoma.com/images/July2016Tr ... istics.pdf

Another solid month for July. Solid 3% growth.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.flyoma.com/images/July2016Tr ... istics.pdf

Very solid indeed :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.flyoma.com/images/July2016Tr ... istics.pdf

They do look solid. Downsides Delta is down 14.6% month to month that is a huge cut. United down 5% but at least mainline is up 10% for them so they're sending in bigger planes. The only other slight downside is that while 3% looks good Kansas City was up nearly 6% through June.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

damonhynes wrote:OMA+SWA+737+LSD=FBI
Made network news this morning!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Off topic, but do people really use ICAO codes? I really only see IATA codes and work with them daily.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I'm feelin' ya, bro. I live and die by IATA but I couldn't tell you an ICAO code at gunpoint.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

damonhynes wrote:I'm feelin' ya, bro. I live and die by IATA but I couldn't tell you an ICAO code at gunpoint.
You just used one today. I had to google SWA to find out what it was.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Eppley just got an upgrade... MSNBC crawler referring to the guy who scaled the fence and crashed the pickup truck into the SWA jet at "Omaha's Eppley International Airport". There you go, I have seen it on TV, it must be true! :roll: They forgot to mention he was in his boxer shorts.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Spatial77 wrote:Eppley just got an upgrade... MSNBC crawler referring to the guy who scaled the fence and crashed the pickup truck into the SWA jet at "Omaha's Eppley International Airport". There you go, I have seen it on TV, it must be true! :roll: They forgot to mention he was in his boxer shorts.
:lol:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First we have pot dad who yells at his poor cat,
Now we have lsd man who rams a poor plane.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
damonhynes wrote:I'm feelin' ya, bro. I live and die by IATA but I couldn't tell you an ICAO code at gunpoint.
You just used one today. I had to google SWA to find out what it was.
I meant SouthWest Airlines...SWA. I should have used LUV... :shock:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Spatial77 wrote:Eppley just got an upgrade... MSNBC crawler referring to the guy who scaled the fence and crashed the pickup truck into the SWA jet at "Omaha's Eppley International Airport". There you go, I have seen it on TV, it must be true! :roll: They forgot to mention he was in his boxer shorts.
I read an article from NBCNews.com that called Epply that too. Mello is doing a helluva job. All he had to do was announce his candidacy and we got upgraded!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

All the millions spent by Homeland security at the air port and all the security for what? So any fool in his boxer shorts can simply climb a barbed wire fence and jump in a truck on the runway with the keys left in it and then ram it into a plane. Total disgusting and unacceptable performance by incompetent security and airport officials. Out witted by a moron high on meth. I know I sure feel real safe with these brave er I mean buffoons watching over us. Homeland Security it a total waste of money. :grr:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:All the millions spent by Homeland security at the air port and all the security for what? So any fool in his boxer shorts can simply climb a barbed wire fence and jump in a truck on the runway with the keys left in it and then ram it into a plane. Total disgusting and unacceptable performance by incompetent security and airport officials. Out witted by a moron high on meth. I know I sure feel real safe with these brave er I mean buffoons watching over us. Homeland Security it a total waste of money. :grr:
Well, I think 9/11 would have been looked at very differently if the terrorists simply hopped a fence, stole four pickup trucks and caused minor frontal damage to an airplanes landing gear...

Money is a finite resource, I feel odd having you tell you that, and it's more important to focus it towards the areas were most vulnerable. That said, TSA is largely a joke.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:All the millions spent by Homeland security at the air port and all the security for what? So any fool in his boxer shorts can simply climb a barbed wire fence and jump in a truck on the runway with the keys left in it and then ram it into a plane. Total disgusting and unacceptable performance by incompetent security and airport officials. Out witted by a moron high on meth. I know I sure feel real safe with these brave er I mean buffoons watching over us. Homeland Security it a total waste of money. :grr:
Well, I think 9/11 would have been looked at very differently if the terrorists simply hopped a fence, stole four pickup trucks and caused minor frontal damage to an airplanes landing gear...

Money is a finite resource, I feel odd having you tell you that, and it's more important to focus it towards the areas were most vulnerable. That said, TSA is largely a joke.

What if this nut was not some local yocal high on meth and was a guy working for ISIS and he took that truck out on that runway and cut in front of a plane full of 200 people just as it is taking off or landing causing it to crash and kill a bunch of people. :roll:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Airport security, and the police department, came off as Keystone Kops in this episode. The guy eluded multiple police officers by hiding in shrubbery! He then ran (or maybe walked, who knows?) toward the tarmac, and scaled a security fence essentially naked, without being confronted. He approached and then stole a vehicle apparently left unattended and running on the tarmac, without being confronted. He crashed it into a passenger airliner filled with passengers, rendering it inoperable. All while not even being confronted by security.

Heads should fly! I predict they will.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Off topic, but do people really use ICAO codes? I really only see IATA codes and work with them daily.
Yeah the operational side of the airline (pilots and dispatching) does. Pretty much everything else including the check-in/reservation systems and thus travel agents, booking sites, etc. use IATA. ICAO is essentially a quasi government UN subsidiary that sets rules and standards. IATA is basically an industry trade association.

I've always found the ICAO codes make more sense for airlines particularly more recent ones. I mean SWA makes a lot more sense than WN, same with JBU versus B6. For the legacies the difference is minimal (typically an L at the end).

On the airport side ICAO has some benefit particularly internationally in that the first letter tells me the region i.e. "L" for a good chunk of Western Europe. Second letter the country and the last two are still typically airport specific.

So LFPG tells me the airport is a Western Europe Airport, specifically in France, and in this case Paris De Gaulle. or LIRF tells me same region, but Italy, and Rome Fiumicino.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

The only heads that will be rolling will be those working for Southwest

1.) The Department of Homeland Security and Omaha Airport Authority Police are not connected in anyway.
2.) Omaha Airport Authority Police department is an accredited law enforcement agency. Their officers are often former State Patrol, Omaha Police, or FBI. Additionally, it may be of interest, that Airport Police have specialized training in counter terrorism, multi jurisdiction law enforcement operations, special aviation related training
3.) The weirdo was not only detected by Omaha Airport Authority Police, he was approached and witnessed by Airport Police climbing the fence BECAUSE THEY WERE DOING THEIR JOB AND PRESENT TO SEE IT– which means there was no lapse in security. Any officer at any department would have reacted in the same manner- especially in the climate we are currently in. Had this individual been determined to have been “something more” than he was, several officers were in range to fire and neutralize the target. It was reported by witnesses that he scaled the fence in three movements.
4.) The Airport Police are trained in this EXACT scenario and the diversion of the suspect and avoidance of the active runway was textbook.
5.) You are making fun of a police organization with the training and ability to discern threats accurately and respond accordingly with appropriate force. Should they have killed another black man and really made national news? By some of you size queens in here obsessed by delusional rankings of Omaha, I’m sure you would prefer it, if only for publicity sake.
6.) The suspect was in custody in FOUR MINUTES. It would have been substantially less had the retarded Southwest employee not left his keys in the truck. In fact, the damage would have been avoided completely and this would not have made national news.
7.) The damage caused and the incident involving the aircraft is the sole responsibility of Southwest. The failure of their employee to follow procedure directly caused an otherwise substantially more controlled situation to become exponentially more dangerous and erratic, leading to injuries and nearly a million dollars in damage.

By the way: the fence motion sensors and cameras also performed properly, the response of back-up by Omaha Police was adequate and fast, the treatment and transportation of the suspect was seamless and humane. The airport, the terminal drive, nor any other services were ever shut down and due to the collaborated response of the many responding agencies, harm to the public and suspect was contained.

Any fence, protecting any property is only a fence. The same fence could have been compromised at MDW, HOU, DSM, SAN, LGA… If you think this issue or vulnerability is unique to Omaha, I invite you to simply google the subject.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:thumb: :clap:
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Interestingly enough, Eppley has also been "International" on Instagram and Facebook's geo-tagging systems for a while now.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

What if anything is Gate 21 being used for these days?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:What if anything is Gate 21 being used for these days?
From the Eppley Airfield site:

"General Aviation Operations at Gate 21
Passenger Drop Offs:
Aircraft operators shall call the Comm Center either by telephone (402-661-8100) or on "Eppley UNICOM" (frequency 122.95 mhz) giving the "N" number, aircraft type, number of passengers to be dropped off and the estimated time of arrival.

The Comm Center will pre-arrange the aircraft's use of Gate 21 with the ATCT, and an OAA Operations Supervisor. Aircraft will be met by an OAA representative who will marshall the aircraft to a parking location, escort passengers into the terminal and monitor the aircraft clearing Gate 21. The aircraft must clear the gate 21 area expeditiously, either departing the Airport or relocating to an FBO apron.

Passenger Pick-up:
Aircraft shall not approach Gate 21 until it has been confirmed that enplaning passengers are physically waiting at the Gate 21 area. Aircraft operator shall contact the Comm Center by telephone (402-661-8100) or on "Eppley UNICOM" (frequency 122.95 mhz) giving the "N" number, the aircraft type and the party(s) name to be enplaned. When the party is physically located at Gate 21, the Comm Center will coordinate the aircraft's use of the Gate 21 area with the ATCT and the OAA Operations Supervisor.

OAA representatives will marshall aircraft to a parking location, escort the passengers to the aircraft and remain in the area until the aircraft has cleared Gate 21.

Restrictions:
The aircraft shall not be left unattended.
All aircraft engines must be turned off prior to passengers being enplaned or deplaned
No other general aviation operations are allowed at Gate 21"...

http://www.flyoma.com/airport-authority ... at-gate-21

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

OK, I get it now. When y'all mentioned ICAO I was thinking airport identifiers and forgetting about airlines. :oops:
Mr.Nuke wrote:On the airport side ICAO has some benefit particularly internationally in that the first letter tells me the region i.e. "L" for a good chunk of Western Europe. Second letter the country and the last two are still typically airport specific.

So LFPG tells me the airport is a Western Europe Airport, specifically in France, and in this case Paris De Gaulle. or LIRF tells me same region, but Italy, and Rome Fiumicino.
Until rappers start name-checking KATL, KSTL, etc., I'll stick with IATA :lol: