Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

guy4omaha wrote:Check out this morning's OWH . . . pretty cool to get our first international destination in Toronto. This is getting to be more and more fun.
More awesome news for OMA. It’s first true international passenger flight. Another indicator that Omaha is moving into major metropolitan status and punches well above it’s weight :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Eppley International Airfield
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Of course by definition, we were already an 'international' airport. I do like the idea of being Eppley International -Airfield- though. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebraska wrote:Eppley International Airfield
At least now, unlike other cities who claim “international”, OMA actually has an international passenger flight presence. I’ll take Eppley Airfield as the name with international flight(s)..than simply calling my airport “international” by name only..

That said, Eppley International Airfield has a nice ring to it :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Impressive news. Quick look at Toronto Airport's wiki shows Omaha as the smallest US market save a handful in the Northeast and vacation destinations.

I imagine there is a fair amount of business travel with TD Ameritrade's connections in Toronto. Happened across an article saying Air Canada wants to try and get more European traffic from US customers through Toronto in the future so maybe this is a step toward that goal too. Idk what kind of European traffic Omaha does, but adding Philly and Toronto as gateways has to make it a ton easier for those travelers with more options.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Holy |expletive|! That's really exciting. Also, as far as the long-shot Amazon stuff could go, the clear potential and ability to add international destinations is great.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

That is awesome news. I expected this service at some point. Not for nothing but if you're flying internationally, especially to Europe, flying out of Toronto is much more civilized than flying through New York or Chicago or Atlanta. It can also be much cheaper.

A side note. I was looking last night & the Alaska web site doesn't show service between OMA & PRT anymore? Anyone know anything?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Stargazer wrote:Of course by definition, we were already an 'international' airport. I do like the idea of being Eppley International -Airfield- though. :)
No strong opinion either way from me. But I do kinda like the idea of being so confident in ourselves that we can be understated with Eppley Airfield. That is instead of appearing to stretch and self proclaim with the International naming like Des Moines. No biggie though. International does have a nice ring to it as well.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

guy4omaha wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Of course by definition, we were already an 'international' airport. I do like the idea of being Eppley International -Airfield- though. :)
No strong opinion either way from me. But I do kinda like the idea of being so confident in ourselves that we can be understated with Eppley Airfield. That is instead of appearing to stretch and self proclaim with the International naming like Des Moines. No biggie though. International does have a nice ring to it as well.
I think that the big airports around the nation have simple old school names, LaGuardia, OHare, Logan, etc. They may have "International" as part of their formal name, but everyone calls them by their simple names. We should keep Eppley.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed1 wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:
I think that the big airports around the nation have simple old school names, LaGuardia, OHare, Logan, etc. They may have "International" as part of their formal name, but everyone calls them by their simple names. We should keep Eppley.
I most often hear it referred to as "Eppley" or simply as "the airport". I don't recall many people including "airfield" in their description, but there is no reason to change the name now in an attempt to make people think its busier or more important than it really is. They'll find out the truth soon enough if they fly in or out of Eppley. I would vote to keep airfield in the name for its nostalgic value. It reminds my of the era of the Wright Bros. and the rich history of air travel in this country.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I like Albuquerque, Sunport

Bottom line: you can nail antlers on a mouse & it's still a mouse. OMA has nonstops to 27 cities & 35 airports. Dsm, Tulsa, others don't. Scoreboard. Omaha is growing faster than most. Call it Eppley Municipal Toilet & it's still got more service than the others.

In a word, whatever...
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

bigredmed1 wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:
Couldn’t agree more. Like many others have said having “international” in the name means nothing as evidenced by how much more relevant Eppley is becoming. Labeling means nothing.
#gohawks
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

NovakOmaha wrote:That is awesome news. I expected this service at some point. Not for nothing but if you're flying internationally, especially to Europe, flying out of Toronto is much more civilized than flying through New York or Chicago or Atlanta. It can also be much cheaper.

A side note. I was looking last night & the Alaska web site doesn't show service between OMA & PRT anymore? Anyone know anything?

Alaska flights to PDX are only seasonal. They should be back sometime in the spring.
Back Home in Omaha!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

jjjjhskr wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:That is awesome news. I expected this service at some point. Not for nothing but if you're flying internationally, especially to Europe, flying out of Toronto is much more civilized than flying through New York or Chicago or Atlanta. It can also be much cheaper.

Alaska flights to PDX are only seasonal. They should be back sometime in the spring.
Thanks. Duh, pdx.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm so stoked about this. :D I really wish they would add international to the name now.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

NovakOmaha wrote:showed good increases except for United, which was down 2.7% for the month while still up for the year 12.7%. Anybody know why the anomaly?
It looks like it is probably just due to a reduction in seats. We won't know that for about 5 more months the dot data is lagging, but the fact that mainline passengers are down 21% strongly points to a capacity cut. This October 56.9% of United’s passengers in and out of Eppley were on mainline United, last October that was 70.4% (and last year through this year UA had a huge mainline increase in OMA). Just a quick glance from flightaware today to O’Hare is an E170, 2 E175's, 4 ERJ's. I can tell from DOT data that last November, United averaged 3 Airbus A320’s and an assortment of regional jets OMA-ORD.
NovakOmaha wrote:A side note. I was looking last night & the Alaska web site doesn't show service between OMA & PRT anymore? Anyone know anything?
The winter loads weren’t enough to justify the route annually. They cut Kansas City as well. January’s load factor was only 56%, but April through August was in the 80%’s. I picked a random day in May on Alaska’s site and it was bookable. So until otherwise notified, I'd assume it comes back.
jjjjhskr wrote: Alaska flights to PDX are only seasonal.
They are now. It operated through last winter though.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

NovakOmaha wrote: Not for nothing but if you're flying internationally, especially to Europe, flying out of Toronto is much more civilized than flying through New York or Chicago or Atlanta. It can also be much cheaper.
iamjacobm wrote: I dk what kind of European traffic Omaha does, but adding Philly and Toronto as gateways has to make it a ton easier for those travelers with more options.
Unfortunately, the timing of the flights isn’t optimal for most European connections. Heading to Toronto, arriving at 7:50 p.m. is pretty late. Most of Toronto’s European flights have already departed or are in the process of departing by then. The only two viable European connections that I see based off of last night’s departures and that Air Canada appears willing to book are to Frankfurt and London.

Coming back, it is a similar situation in reverse. The flight is too early. Departing Toronto at 2:30 p.m. means you are limited to the first early morning European departures and early afternoon arrivals to Toronto. Again, it looks like basically Frankfurt and London. This also effectively cuts off most Europe-->Omaha same day connecting traffic as well.

The forthcoming American Philadelphia flights are timed a lot better for European connections, 1:05 pm-4:59 pm OMA-PHL, and PHL-OMA 5:39 pm-7:52 pm. That should allow connections to most if not all of Philadelphia's European flights both ways.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

Air Transat also flights to Europe from Toronto. They increase the frequency during summer. Last summer we flew to Lisbon for $550 return!!!
This connection is great for Omaha.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

my guess on the top 3 cities for new flight to Omaha - want to join in?

1. Boston, we had flights to Boston with Midwest Express and with Toast moving to Omaha I would bet that non-stop flights were on the companies wish list.

2. DCA/Reagan National, Omaha has wanted this service for a long time I I'd be surprised if it didn't happen soon

3. Pittsburg on OneJet. PIT is their main base and it makes sense for the next OneJet destination,
Back Home in Omaha!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We already have service to Reagan unless we lost it recently. I was sent through there on my way back from ATL on Southwest last January.

Depending on haw the Milwaukee/Omaha route goes I am sure OneJet will keep an eye on us for future flights.

Boston is kind of the last big whale now isn't it? I am probably overlooking something.

I hope we can strengthen some of our current destinations while we add all these new ones. I would love to see twice daily to Dallas Love on SW that would make my travel down there a lot easier and those flights seem pretty full. Maybe some more frequency to the west coast too.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Boston, bwi, jfk, ft Lauderdale are my next. For fun Memphis, Nashville, Cancun. Maybe other Mexico or Caribbean destinations. The list of next ones is sure getting small. Whoever is responsible for the growth is to be commended. Remember that Eppley doesn't bribe airlines like other airports. And they did it without slapping international on their name.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:Boston, bwi, jfk, ft Lauderdale are my next. For fun Memphis, Nashville, Cancun. Maybe other Mexico or Caribbean destinations. The list of next ones is sure getting small. Whoever is responsible for the growth is to be commended. Remember that Eppley doesn't bribe airlines like other airports. And they did it without slapping international on their name.
Had me curious. Unless something is wrong it looks like Omaha does more traffic than Memphis, that really surprised me. I would swap out NOLA for Memphis on the fun side. Nashville and NOLA would be good ones to add for fun cities and Nashville is just insanely hot right now.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Really excited that we have our first international flight. Even though its from Canada it's still international which is a plus for Omaha, Eppley and the surrounding area's. What we need now is a couple more international flights to be started and I think that is coming down the pipeline in the future. Idk maybe they need to update the airport faster then expected?
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

If the demand is high enough would there ever be any more international destinations like Cancun and would this require an upgrade of Customs? Also are there already plans to upgrade customs once that 5 mil is hit or were international flights never expected at Eppley?
#gohawks
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

buildomaha wrote:If the demand is high enough would there ever be any more international destinations like Cancun and would this require an upgrade of Customs? Also are there already plans to upgrade customs once that 5 mil is hit or were international flights never expected at Eppley?
Actually, there are international flights to Eppley now. UPS runs a daily cargo flight from Winnipeg. How that changes customs with passenger flights, I have no idea.
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Padre wrote:
buildomaha wrote:If the demand is high enough would there ever be any more international destinations like Cancun and would this require an upgrade of Customs? Also are there already plans to upgrade customs once that 5 mil is hit or were international flights never expected at Eppley?
Actually, there are international flights to Eppley now. UPS runs a daily cargo flight from Winnipeg. How that changes customs with passenger flights, I have no idea.
I would sure hope they include a customs hall in the 1st phase of the terminal remodel projects. Flights to CUN are guaranteed baring any changing Mexico safety issues.
NovakOmaha wrote:Well it's the 27th. If they wait a couple of weeks they can just post Sept & Oct at the same time. It's actually happened before. Either that or they are using a legal pad & a number 2 pencil and counting by writing each person's name and then counting them that way.

On to a totally different subject, check out the Oklahoma City Airport web site. http://www.flyokc.com For what it's worth, check out the airport. Remember, OKC handles about 500k less flyers than OMA. They recently renovated their terminal & it's very nice. It's also planned for expansion. They also just landed a maintenance base for Skywest Airlines. A $30M investment and 100 jobs.
Yes, OKC is awesome, Eppley should have done a remodel YEARS ago! The food at Eppley is HORRIBLE too!! I'm willing to bet that Southwest would be willing to transfer passengers in OMA, just like the do in OKC if there were decent food options! This is the chance to showcase local food! The Omaha airport executives should take a trip to Portland (PDX) model airport for local food and local shops...amazing!! Even DSM has pretty awesome food options and they are already completely remodeling the food options! Best thing is they say they it will completely pay for itself within 5 years!
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

joleo wrote:
Padre wrote:
I would sure hope they include a customs hall in the 1st phase of the terminal remodel projects. Flights to CUN are guaranteed baring any changing Mexico safety issues.
NovakOmaha wrote:Well it's the 27th. If they wait a couple of weeks they can just post Sept & Oct at the same time. It's actually happened before. Either that or they are using a legal pad & a number 2 pencil and counting by writing each person's name and then counting them that way.

On to a totally different subject, check out the Oklahoma City Airport web site. http://www.flyokc.com For what it's worth, check out the airport. Remember, OKC handles about 500k less flyers than OMA. They recently renovated their terminal & it's very nice. It's also planned for expansion. They also just landed a maintenance base for Skywest Airlines. A $30M investment and 100 jobs.
Yes, OKC is awesome, Eppley should have done a remodel YEARS ago! The food at Eppley is HORRIBLE too!! I'm willing to bet that Southwest would be willing to transfer passengers in OMA, just like the do in OKC if there were decent food options! This is the chance to showcase local food! The Omaha airport executives should take a trip to Portland (PDX) model airport for local food and local shops...amazing!! Even DSM has pretty awesome food options and they are already completely remodeling the food options! Best thing is they say they it will completely pay for itself within 5 years!
Oh, I fly often and I don't eat at airports. seattle has awesome restaurants at the airport but I have not eaten and them. Actually I haven't had a meal at an airport restaurant ever,
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

joleo wrote:
Padre wrote:

if you flynout of an airport just because of their food, then I feel sorry for you.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

joleo wrote:
Padre wrote:

You mean having the only A&W in Omaha isn't enough for you?
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

There's a really good restaurant at Charles Schultz Airport in Sonoma County, CA.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Thank you Heath Mello....oh, wait: Eppley became a super official "international airport" without him.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, the dialog in this thread turned into a sh!t show real quick.. Albeit a funny one..

Carry on friends :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

iamjacobm wrote:
Boston is kind of the last big whale now isn't it? I am probably overlooking something.
it's not a whale, but it's big: Raleigh-Durham. Austin, too.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Boston, bwi, jfk, ft Lauderdale are my next. For fun Memphis, Nashville, Cancun. Maybe other Mexico or Caribbean destinations. The list of next ones is sure getting small. Whoever is responsible for the growth is to be commended. Remember that Eppley doesn't bribe airlines like other airports. And they did it without slapping international on their name.
Had me curious. Unless something is wrong it looks like Omaha does more traffic than Memphis, that really surprised me. I would swap out NOLA for Memphis on the fun side. Nashville and NOLA would be good ones to add for fun cities and Nashville is just insanely hot right now.
Thanks. I meant to include NOLA. Of course it's more fun than Memphis, although Memphis does have Graceland and amazing BBQ. On the other hand, beignets are literally the most delicious way to a heart attack I know of.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

Boston (JetBlue or American)
Ft Lauderdale (JetBlue)
BNA (Southwest)
Can Cun (Frontier seasonal and Southwest Saturday seasonal)
Guadalajara (Volaris)
BWI (Southwest)

My guesses
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

mistergutierrez wrote:Air Transat also flights to Europe from Toronto. They increase the frequency during summer. Last summer we flew to Lisbon for $550 return!!!
This connection is great for Omaha.
The flight is still going to work for very few Air Transat connections. If you get a flight to say Paris or Venice on Air Transat that is a late evening departure, the laws of time mean that plane on the return flight isn't going to be in Toronto on-time for the 2:30 flight to Omaha. The only reason that Air Canada to London and Frankfurt works is that Air Canada is flying multiple daily flights on the route. Heading to Europe you'd take the last late night departure. Coming back you'd take the return flight of an earlier evening departure from Toronto and hence an early morning departure out of London.

Given that Air Transat flies a varied schedule i.e. they may not fly to Venice more than twice a week or may not fly to Paris daily and when they do it isn't always at the same time, some connections may be possible. There still may be some value opportunities if you are willing to spend a night in Toronto or add an extra connection in O'Hare on the way back too. But strictly speaking for Europe connections, the AC flight like I said isn't timed well.
jjjjhskr wrote: 2. DCA/Reagan National, Omaha has wanted this service for a long time I I'd be surprised if it didn't happen soon
Omaha has daily flights to DCA on two different airlines and has fairly regular service for years.
Yes. Omaha would need a FIS customs and immigration facility to process commercial flights. Toronto does not require this due to CBP pre-clearance at Toronto. I haven't seen anything about an FIS facility in the expansion plans, but hopefully it is there or at least the terminal reconstruction is set-up in such a way that a facility could be added in the future.
Padre wrote: Actually, there are international flights to Eppley now. UPS runs a daily cargo flight from Winnipeg. How that changes customs with passenger flights, I have no idea.
UPS hasn't run that flight in a while, and the process is completely different for commercial flights than cargo or small private/general aviation aircraft, both of which Eppley can currently handle.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

jjjjhskr wrote:my guess on the top 3 cities for new flight to Omaha - want to join in?

1. Boston, we had flights to Boston with Midwest Express and with Toast moving to Omaha I would bet that non-stop flights were on the companies wish list.

2. DCA/Reagan National, Omaha has wanted this service for a long time I I'd be surprised if it didn't happen soon

3. Pittsburg on OneJet. PIT is their main base and it makes sense for the next OneJet destination,
correcting #2 to IAD - Dulles Airport. sorry for the mistake!
Back Home in Omaha!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent detail in the past few posts regarding flights from/to OMA..

Thanks for the intel :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

As always this is MY OPINION only

Boston via Southwest with Delta as a longshot

BWI via Southwest, possibly Allegiant

Dulles via United

JFK is a bigger longshot but maybe via United or Delta

Ft Lauderdale via Frontier or Southwest

New Orleans and Nashville possibly via Southwest. As I said, just for fun

The sea change at Eppley has been amazing. Not too long ago OMA had 16 destinations and none were on any coast.