Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: The podcast link-
Thanks for posting that.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: The podcast link-
Thanks for posting that.
You're welcome :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

Omababe wrote:Say, has anyone tried that new canopy parking area?

I thought this was supposed to be for rental cars but it's now a covered parking area and cheaper than the garage. It looks like it will be handy for avoiding snow in the winter and hail in the summer.
The new canopy parking will be used as a temporary rental car facility (accessible by shuttle bus) while the new rental car facility is under construction. When the new facility opens, the canopy area will revert back to public parking.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I just got back from a trip and the parking lights need a little work. I was flying Southwest and the east part of the garage said full but decided to check it out anyways. I was able to find open spots that were marked Red (Full). When I was leaving I also noticed spots marked Green (Available) that did not have an open spot within 15 spots of it.

Overall it was a great concept that needs a little work especially when the lot is full and needs it most. Maybe there is a couple minute delay when the lights change but would say it looked like it was working for 95% of the spots.

I also learned that flying at 10am on Monday saves you an hour of waiting at the check-in and security versus my normal 6am flights.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Octob ... istics.pdf

Another strong report. October up 6% over last year, up 4% YTD over last year total. With some strong holiday travel we could see our highest yearly total since 2008.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

3.6 million, that's a far cry from 4.75 million we'll have hover cars by the time we hit that mark.
15-17, 26, 32
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

MTO wrote:3.6 million, that's a far cry from 4.75 million we'll have hover cars by the time we hit that mark.
Pretty sure you're joking but since that's YTD, for reference:

Annual figures with range of % change in Nov & Dec
  • 3% drop: 4.29 million
  • no change: 4.31 million
  • 3% increase: 4.33 million
  • 6% increase: 4.35 million
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Novak steps to the plate. He wipes the sweat off his brow. He looks to the outfield. He calls his shot.

2016 Eppley total for the year. 4,380,000 If the weather behaves and there are no mass cancellations anywhere.
2017 under the same circumstances. 4,600,000
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ok maybe not hover cars maybe auto piloted cars.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Novem ... istics.pdf

Another really strong month. Over 4,000,000 year to date with a month left.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Novem ... istics.pdf

Excellent news indeed :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

The construction contract on the parking garage was awarded today.
http://www.wowt.com/content/news/More-p ... 29245.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Should finish with between 4.3 and 4.4 million. Looking at the current numbers, 2007 was the highest since 2003, with 4,421,274.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Should finish with between 4.3 and 4.4 million. Looking at the current numbers, 2007 was the highest since 2003, with 4,421,274.
So what do you expect the percent increase to be?
15-17, 26, 32
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Trump is going to pass a big infrastructure bill in the next year or so and a bunch of that loot could end up going to upgrade Eppley. I could see it!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Trump is going to pass a big infrastructure bill in the next year or so and a bunch of that loot could end up going to upgrade Eppley. I could see it!
It's possible....but I don't foresee Omaha being anywhere near the top of the list. His infrastructure plan looks a lot like it will "get the rich richer," at least under the surface, and his buddies just don't live here.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Trump is going to pass a big infrastructure bill in the next year or so and a bunch of that loot could end up going to upgrade Eppley. I could see it!
It's possible....but I don't foresee Omaha being anywhere near the top of the list. His infrastructure plan looks a lot like it will "get the rich richer," at least under the surface, and his buddies just don't live here.

Ever heard of the Rickets Family
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Quarter 2 PDEW

Chicago- 374
D.C.- 323
L.A.- 292
Denver- 278
NYC- 252
Phoenix- 250
Dallas- 220
Las Vegas- 202
San Francisco- 176
Orlando- 160
Atlanta- 145
Seattle- 120
St. Louis- 115
Houston- 103
Boston- 100
Portland- 97
Tampa- 93
San Diego- 90
Minneapolis- 76
Charlotte- 74
Miami- 73
Detroit- 65
Philadelphia- 64
Salt Lake City- 59
Nashville- 53
San Antonio- 50
Sacramento- 48
Austin- 43
Raleigh Durham- 43
New Orleans- 39
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Quarter 2 PDEW

Chicago- 374
D.C.- 323
L.A.- 292
Denver- 278
NYC- 252
Phoenix- 250
Dallas- 220
Las Vegas- 202
San Francisco- 176
Orlando- 160
Atlanta- 145
Seattle- 120
St. Louis- 115
Houston- 103
Boston- 100
Portland- 97
Tampa- 93
San Diego- 90
Minneapolis- 76
Charlotte- 74
Miami- 73
Detroit- 65
Philadelphia- 64
Salt Lake City- 59
Nashville- 53
San Antonio- 50
Sacramento- 48
Austin- 43
Raleigh Durham- 43
New Orleans- 39
See, this is why I don't trust this. For example, chicago is 374 yet there are way more seats than that on flights on United, American & Southwest with load factors over 80%. Same with Dallas. There are more reliable statistics out there. A cursory phone call to Eppley would find those numbers. Also, O/D data is available. I'm not suggesting that the above data is wrong, just less reliable as far as projecting additional flights & destinations.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Is PDEW just showing the final destination counts?

A lot of Omaha residents fly to DC, LA, NYC, Denver and Chicago to connect to their final destination.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

For this last trip, first time I have used the garage in a long time, I'm very impressed with that new red/green light system and on line parking availability lookup.

Something very positive! :)
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

NovakOmaha wrote: Also, O/D data is available.
What you quoted is O/D data...
NovakOmaha wrote: See, this is why I don't trust this. For example, chicago is 374 yet there are way more seats than that on flights on United, American & Southwest with load factors over 80%. Same with Dallas.
During the second quarter 240,795 people flew either to or from ORD/MDW to OMA, or 2,646 each day, or 1,323 passengers daily each way. On average, each day on 374 were going to or from Omaha or Chicago. So only 28% of the people are going to Chicago. Way more are connecting onward. Knowing that there were 240,795 people or 292,306 seats for a load factor of 82.4% between OMA-CHI-OMA in the 2nd quarter tells me very little when 72% of the people are going onward to somewhere else.
NovakOmaha wrote: There are more reliable statistics out there. A cursory phone call to Eppley would find those numbers.
They'd be relying on DOT data as well...
NovakOmaha wrote: I'm not suggesting that the above data is wrong, just less reliable as far as projecting additional flights & destinations.
It isn't meant to project additional flights. When 70% of the traffic between Omaha and Chicago isn't actually originating between the city pair knowing that the daily o/d is 374 is meaningless. Lift and frequency on the route is being dictated by the connecting passengers. However, knowing on average there are 39 people flying daily between Omaha and New Orleans is fairly reliable on predicting a viability or lack thereof for a route.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Is PDEW just showing the final destination counts?

A lot of Omaha residents fly to DC, LA, NYC, Denver and Chicago to connect to their final destination.
Yeah it is the average passengers daily each way between cities for originating and destination traffic only. For the purposes of this counting connecting passengers through DC, LA, NYC, Denver, or Chicago would essentially be double counting them.

You can get to New Orleans from Omaha with one stop on: Southwest (Midway, Dallas, or St. Louis), American (Dallas, O'Hare, Charlotte), United (ORD, IAH, EWR, DEN, SFO), Delta (ATL, MSP, DTW, LGA), Frontier (DEN), Alaska (SEA) or basically every airline serving Eppley other than allegiant. In a lot of ways it matters more knowing that there were 39 people going to and from New Orleans each way than knowing which of the connecting options they chose to take.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

I didnt know they were friends. Is this fact, or just because they are rich?
Go Cubs Go
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

thenewguy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

Joe Rickets helped finance Trump's campaign after he was the last Repub standing. Also, I believe Todd Rickets was appointed to one of Trump's cabinet positions. Still, not sure what Omaha gains out of that. Although, Omaha-based Lindsay Corp. could cash in with their road construction equipment sales.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

choke wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

Joe Rickets helped finance Trump's campaign after he was the last Repub standing. Also, I believe Todd Rickets was appointed to one of Trump's cabinet positions. Still, not sure what Omaha gains out of that. Although, Omaha-based Lindsay Corp. could cash in with their road construction equipment sales.

This above

May not be best buds but I am sure they know what each other can do for them
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

This above

I doubt that Trump's infrastructure plan is going to go through anyway. It's not going to have a lot of support from either side of the aisle for a wide variety of reasons.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:

This above

I doubt that Trump's infrastructure plan is going to go through anyway. It's not going to have a lot of support from either side of the aisle for a wide variety of reasons.
Plus it's garbage anyways.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

When will they publish the 2016 passenger sum?
15-17, 26, 32
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

For reasons totally unrelated I pulled up the Eppley entry in Wikipedia, and was kind of surprised to see the name of the airport, as interpreted by the Wikipedia contributors, of course) as "Eppley International Airport" at the start of the article.
Eppley International Airport (IATA: OMA, ICAO: KOMA, FAA LID: OMA) is a medium {blah blah blah ...}
I haven't heard anything about that name being adopted as any kind of official name, but still I thought it was interesting.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omababe wrote:For reasons totally unrelated I pulled up the Eppley entry in Wikipedia, and was kind of surprised to see the name of the airport, as interpreted by the Wikipedia contributors, of course) as "Eppley International Airport" at the start of the article.
Eppley International Airport (IATA: OMA, ICAO: KOMA, FAA LID: OMA) is a medium {blah blah blah ...}
I haven't heard anything about that name being adopted as any kind of official name, but still I thought it was interesting.
Undoubtedly the page was edited by someone from this forum with Des Moines International Airport envy. Me I'm still partial to Omaha Eppley Intergalactic Gateway Pointe Centre, or failing that at least Eppley Internationale
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:Undoubtedly the page was edited by someone from this forum with Des Moines International Airport envy. Me I'm still partial to Omaha Eppley Intergalactic Gateway Pointe Centre, or failing that at least Eppley Internationale
I can't help but speculate that the article was changed back to "Eppley Airfield" yesterday because of my posting that.

(To make a long story long) ... Yesterday I told the same story to a co-worker who is a pilot and plane fan. He came back a few minutes later and said I was on drugs. We pulled up the page and sure enough it was plain old "Eppley Airfield" at that time.

We started looking around through the edit history and it turns out it had been changed very shortly before. The "International" version had been there for like six months and it seems just too coincidental that it would be changed just after I posted that here. ;)

Oh well, so it goes ...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Undoubtedly the page was edited by someone from this forum with Des Moines International Airport envy. Me I'm still partial to Omaha Eppley Intergalactic Gateway Pointe Centre, or failing that at least Eppley Internationale
I can't help but speculate that the article was changed back to "Eppley Airfield" yesterday because of my posting that.

(To make a long story long) ... Yesterday I told the same story to a co-worker who is a pilot and plane fan. He came back a few minutes later and said I was on drugs. We pulled up the page and sure enough it was plain old "Eppley Airfield" at that time.

We started looking around through the edit history and it turns out it had been changed very shortly before. The "International" version had been there for like six months and it seems just too coincidental that it would be changed just after I posted that here. ;)

Oh well, so it goes ...
Well, this about sums up my reaction to our latest "edit-gate" :lafcry: ..

It's a safe bet whomever originally edited our Wiki Airport profile with the "International" addition is at a minimum, a lurker here...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

4,349,486 final tally, up 4.3% over last year. According to wiki 3rd highest all time and highest since 2008.

http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Decem ... istics.pdf
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:4,349,486 final tally, up 4.3% over last year. According to wiki 3rd highest all time and highest since 2008.

http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Decem ... istics.pdf
Now what's that about Des Moines "international airport envy"? Lol :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

iamjacobm wrote:4,349,486 final tally, up 4.3% over last year. According to wiki 3rd highest all time and highest since 2008.
Nice closeout to a very solid year, with December up 5.7% month over month.
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Des Moines was up 5.0% for the year. :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:4,349,486 final tally, up 4.3% over last year.
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Des Moines was up 5.0% for the year. :lol:
Hardly cause for any "envy", lol.. I'll take my 2 million more annual passenger count and say thank you very much :;): ..

But in all seriousness, excellent job by (and for) both airports; recovering from down numbers during the "Great Recession" years :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Hardly cause for any "envy", lol.. I'll take my 2 million more annual passenger count and say thank you very much :;): ..
I was unaware of any rivalry between Omaha and Des Moines for air traffic. It's always been my impression that Omaha has probably half again as much air traffic than Des Moines does.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, let's clear up a few things here as I started this latest conversation....

With tongue firmly in cheek I mentioned "Des Moines INTERNATIONAL envy". They chose to name their airport International. Yes, yes, yes it's ok for them to do that. And no, no, no, they don't currently have any flights non stop to destinations outside the United States. And yes, Omaha's airport is Eppley Airfield. Wichita recently renamed their airport Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport. Again, the chosen name. A rose by any other name is still a rose and the Des Moines airport, whatever its name, still doesn't have any international flights. You've got to hand it to Des Moines, they like to dream large, not just with the airport's name but with regard to many things. It's admirable.

I currently live in Detroit, home to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. Notice there isn't anywhere the word International. Yet, there are hundreds of daily flights and there are many flights non stop to world destinations. I guess to them the name is less important than actual ease of travel. It serves over 30 million passengers a year.

I mentioned the word International envy as a small joke. Both airports have seen tremendous growth both in numbers of passengers, growth in destinations and frequency of flights. Not too long ago neither one had service coast to coast and now Omaha literally has non stop flights border to border and coast to coast to 21 cities and 26 airports...amazing. When I lived in Omaha I never thought it would see service to California, Florida or New York. Now Seattle and Portland are part of the mix. Again, amazing.

I see Eppley is about to get a new manager. Perhaps he or she will again see advertising as a way to grow the numbers. It isn't a crime to tell people that Omaha is clearly the place from which to fly, especially Lincoln and towns in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, Kansas and Missouri. I also hope he or she will agressively court new destinations, larger planes and more frequency. Hello Spirit and Jetblue? How about Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, San Diego, etc. And without starting a flame war I am not worried about PDEW. It doesn't take into account the idea that if a flight were introduced to Boston the demand might be more than current PDEW or whatever. It's a business decision.

Happy travels everyone, International or not.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Houston ups the ante by terming their airport "Bush Intercontinental". I prefer to call it "Intergalactic" :D