South Omaha Veterans Memorial Bridge

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bosco55David wrote:
Brad wrote:Did they ever blow up the other 1/2 of the river span?  I know I posted that they were going to, but I never saw a news story that they actually did.
You're 2 days early. Read the post above yours.  :mrgreen:

you are wrong,  what is posted above is not the river span.  

The river span was done sometime over the weekend.  On Monday at 5AM when I went to work they were cutting up and pulling out chunks under huge flood lights.  My guess is it went sometime on last Saturday.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Brad wrote: Image
W:shock:W, That really looks sharp.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes it does.  You will notice on the Iowa side they already have the streetlights up.  Less than 2 months until it opens.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Veterans Bridge opens May 28

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100519/N ... ens-may-28
By Tim Rohwer WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE wrote:COUNCIL BLUFFS -- The new four-lane Veterans Memorial Bridge between Omaha and Council Bluffs will open at the end of this month, a Nebraska roads official said Tuesday.

“We're planning a ribbon-cutting on May 28,” said Karl Burns, a spokesman for the Nebraska Department of Roads.
By Tim Rohwer WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE wrote:The bridge features two 12-foot-wide travel lanes in each direction. (The single lanes on the old bridge were less than 11 feet wide.) A concrete median is in the center, and a sidewalk-biking path also is part of the bridge, Burns said.

The May 28 ribbon-cutting, set for 9:30 a.m., will be held in the middle of the bridge, representing the borderline of the two states, Burns said.

Governors from both states have been invited, he said. Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman has said he plans to attend, but Iowa Gov. Chet Culver has not set his schedule for that week yet.

Various car clubs, including those with early 20th century vehicles, will take part, and those vehicles will be among the first to drive on the new bridge, Burns said. Veterans groups also will be on hand, he said.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

On Monday evening the whole approach area to the Bridge on the Nebr side was a typical construction site.   By the time Wed evening rolled around the area was landscaped, trees planted, flowers planted, flag poles set and grass seeding mats put down.  Looks like thy will be ready for the photo ops on Friday with the ribbon cutting.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I tried the new bridge at noon and it works!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:I tried the new bridge at noon and it works!
I would hope! :;):

It now restores my train watching loop...  Union Station, CN Yard, Heritage Shops, Pool Yard, South Yard, Manaua Elevator, IAIS Yard, Gibson Yard, no more back tracking!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I tried the new bridge at noon and it works!
I would hope! :;):

It now restores my train watching loop...  Union Station, CN Yard, Heritage Shops, Pool Yard, South Yard, Manaua Elevator, IAIS Yard, Gibson Yard, no more back tracking!

well for 88 million one cannot be sure.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

The bridge is open for four days and has already been hit with graffiti. These effing punks that do this need the |expletive| beat out of them.

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/95272274.html
Updated: 3:39 PM May 31, 2010
Graffiti on New Veterans Bridge
On a day dedicated to honoring those who serve our country, there is also upset over the thoughtless acts of a few individuals. The area around the new Veterans Memorial Bridge has already been tagged with graffiti.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

He/she/it should be made to scrub the graffiti off with a toothbrush.  And why on earth do the media call it "tagging" as in "tag you are it" instead of what it is....defiling public property?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I had a chance to drive it yesterday.  Nice bridge, very smooth and the entrance on the Iowa side has a couple nice, sweeping curves.  Driving up on the steel, it's really impressive how big the girders are.  Be careful, though: 35 mph entering Nebraska (different than the 50 mph you're able to travel entering Iowa).
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad, no aerials from your recent flight?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

I drove over the bridge last week and it looks great.  one problem i have though is that the steel isn't lit up at night.  that might be the plan but i thought i would do wonders for the bridge at night!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went over the bridge for the second time today since it opened.  They really did a nice job sprucing it up will all the flags, flowers, and other finishes.