METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby iamjacobm » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm

I am excited for the opportunity to ride the bus more often. My schedule is changing this fall that will allow me to ride the 2 quite a bit with a lot of ease. Should save a good bit of money and less hassle than my current daily grind offered.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Postby Seth » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:04 pm

My office has plans to move from the current location 1 mile from my house (super-convenient bike ride) to a location 10 miles away. Although I still plan to cycle some of the time, I can't count on doing it year round, so I'm planning on doing some driving. I was surprised to find that METRO actually has several routes that actually go between my endpoints. They do take about an hour (vs a 15-20 minute drive), but at least it's a possibility.

Coyote
City Council

Re:

Postby Coyote » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 pm

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Metro has partnered with UNO Student Government to offer free transit passes to 400 UNO students on a first come first served basis for the Spring 2011 semester.

http://www.unomaha.edu/news/releases/20 ... avride.php

I am delighted to learn of this, and I hope it is a trial that will lead to offering free transit passes to all students in the future. Here in Albany, my university provides free public transit use just by swiping one's student ID card and the impact it has had on college student ridership is incredible. It's an excellent way to help foster a culture of public transit use at a formative age, not to mention providing an amazing service to students who can really use the transportation savings.

UNO announced that starting Jan 2nd all students a faculty members can get a free bus ride by just swiping their ID cards.

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:56 pm

NICE! :thumb:

Busguy2010
Human Relations

Postby Busguy2010 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:51 pm

I just noticed on 33rd along route 35, there are several permanent, colorful benches installed. Between Hamilton and the cemetery there are benches at almost every stop. I wonder who got that done?

Busguy2010
Human Relations

Postby Busguy2010 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:02 am

Here is an interesting document. It is old... Curious Metro would post it on their home page just now.

http://www.ometro.com/wp-content/upload ... t-2013.pdf

Overview is we may or may not have multiple dedicated BRT Infrastructure by 2050 (24th street is a very interesting candidate). We may or may not have a light rail line along Dodge and one on 72nd by 2050. It is more likely we will expand express bus services to outlying communities such as Blair, Bennington, Oakland, Glenwood,Plattsmouth, and Lincoln. No exploration of commuter rail so far.

Much of, if not all of the current bus system related improvements mentioned in this review have already been implemented.

My takeaway is the Dodge street BRT will definitely be complete by decade's end and will include a transit only lane on Dodge between 13th and 31st. I think the next BRT corridor will be planned immediately following the opening of the Dodge street BRT. Everything else is up to ongoing planning and won't be entertained till after 2020.

Return to “Transportation”