METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby iamjacobm » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm

I am excited for the opportunity to ride the bus more often. My schedule is changing this fall that will allow me to ride the 2 quite a bit with a lot of ease. Should save a good bit of money and less hassle than my current daily grind offered.

User avatar
Seth
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Seth » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:04 pm

My office has plans to move from the current location 1 mile from my house (super-convenient bike ride) to a location 10 miles away. Although I still plan to cycle some of the time, I can't count on doing it year round, so I'm planning on doing some driving. I was surprised to find that METRO actually has several routes that actually go between my endpoints. They do take about an hour (vs a 15-20 minute drive), but at least it's a possibility.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21083
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re:

Postby Coyote » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 pm

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Metro has partnered with UNO Student Government to offer free transit passes to 400 UNO students on a first come first served basis for the Spring 2011 semester.

http://www.unomaha.edu/news/releases/20 ... avride.php

I am delighted to learn of this, and I hope it is a trial that will lead to offering free transit passes to all students in the future. Here in Albany, my university provides free public transit use just by swiping one's student ID card and the impact it has had on college student ridership is incredible. It's an excellent way to help foster a culture of public transit use at a formative age, not to mention providing an amazing service to students who can really use the transportation savings.


UNO announced that starting Jan 2nd all students a faculty members can get a free bus ride by just swiping their ID cards.
Image

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby daveoma » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:56 pm

NICE! :thumb:

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Busguy2010 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:51 pm

I just noticed on 33rd along route 35, there are several permanent, colorful benches installed. Between Hamilton and the cemetery there are benches at almost every stop. I wonder who got that done?

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Busguy2010 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:02 am

Here is an interesting document. It is old... Curious Metro would post it on their home page just now.

http://www.ometro.com/wp-content/upload ... t-2013.pdf

Overview is we may or may not have multiple dedicated BRT Infrastructure by 2050 (24th street is a very interesting candidate). We may or may not have a light rail line along Dodge and one on 72nd by 2050. It is more likely we will expand express bus services to outlying communities such as Blair, Bennington, Oakland, Glenwood,Plattsmouth, and Lincoln. No exploration of commuter rail so far.

Much of, if not all of the current bus system related improvements mentioned in this review have already been implemented.

My takeaway is the Dodge street BRT will definitely be complete by decade's end and will include a transit only lane on Dodge between 13th and 31st. I think the next BRT corridor will be planned immediately following the opening of the Dodge street BRT. Everything else is up to ongoing planning and won't be entertained till after 2020.

Dundeemaha
Library Board
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Dundeemaha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 am

Great article in the paper today about Metro's plans for 2018. Highlights:

GPS tracking of buses!
Mobile fare payment system
11 ORBT stations, construction starting in spring
ORBT launch target of December
15-20 new bus shelters
23 new buses
9 new MOBY vans

http://www.omaha.com/special_sections/o ... 5e4d4.html

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: west Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Stargazer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Never noticed this Metro video until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXCZj4zdFmY

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Busguy2010 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Omaha World Herald wrote:» Fifteen to 20 new passenger waiting shelters will be built this year at a mix of new and existing locations, with first priority going to intersecting routes and transfer points.


I'm a little more excited about this part than the others to be honest. There is such a blatant lack of shelters around the metro that 20 new ones will make a big difference.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 am

Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha World Herald wrote:» Fifteen to 20 new passenger waiting shelters will be built this year at a mix of new and existing locations, with first priority going to intersecting routes and transfer points.


I'm a little more excited about this part than the others to be honest. There is such a blatant lack of shelters around the metro that 20 new ones will make a big difference.


All 4 corners of 40th and Dodge should have a shelter. One of the busier transfer points in the city.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Busguy2010 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

iamjacobm wrote:All 4 corners of 40th and Dodge should have a shelter. One of the busier transfer points in the city.


Definitely, especially since they took out Midtown Transit Center and moved transfers to on-street. The same should be said about 72nd and Dodge, where Crossroads Transit Center was taken out.

Other important intersections : Every transfer point along 24th, probably 42nd & Dewey for the 3 & 15 and for everybody at UNMC, 72nd & Maple, still others.

Since Metro changed their format, I think that route that connects Benson, Dundee, UNO and Aksarben could be as viable as ever. This would be the one route that would rely almost completely on people who ride because they want to, not because they have to.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w1OOC ... sp=sharing

mistergutierrez
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby mistergutierrez » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm

In Europe many cities transportation authorities have outsourced the installation and care of bus stops shelters to advertising companies such as JCDecaux. In exchange, they have the advertising rights in these stops and shelters. I don´t know if such arrangement would be possible in Omaha, specially considering that riding the bus is associated with lower-income population.
Attachments
JCDecaux.jpg
JCDecaux.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 330 times

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Uffda » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 pm

mistergutierrez wrote:In Europe many cities transportation authorities have outsourced the installation and care of bus stops shelters to advertising companies such as JCDecaux. In exchange, they have the advertising rights in these stops and shelters. I don´t know if such arrangement would be possible in Omaha, specially considering that riding the bus is associated with lower-income population.


That looks like a great idea or even approaching businesses. I have always wondered why the WalMart off of Blair high road doesn’t offer to put up a bus shelter and a cart corral as there is a bus stop right on 99th that their customers catch.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Busguy2010 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Uffda wrote:I have always wondered why the WalMart off of Blair high road doesn’t offer to put up a bus shelter and a cart corral as there is a bus stop right on 99th that their customers catch.


A relatively good amount of people ride the bus to that Walmart for shopping, but I'm positive they make up a super small percentage of their business. Possibly a higher percentage of their employees use the bus to get there, but still, it's probably not worth it to them. Conversely, the 72nd and Pine Walmart has a bit better pedestrian infrastructure, but we're still not sure whether they payed for it, or if it was the city. I don't think we should expect private entities to pay for transit infrastructure. As traffic increases, maybe it will make sense for them to spend some advertising money, but we're way off from that.

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Uffda » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:14 am

Busguy2010 wrote:
Uffda wrote:I have always wondered why the WalMart off of Blair high road doesn’t offer to put up a bus shelter and a cart corral as there is a bus stop right on 99th that their customers catch.


A relatively good amount of people ride the bus to that Walmart for shopping, but I'm positive they make up a super small percentage of their business. Possibly a higher percentage of their employees use the bus to get there, but still, it's probably not worth it to them. Conversely, the 72nd and Pine Walmart has a bit better pedestrian infrastructure, but we're still not sure whether they payed for it, or if it was the city. I don't think we should expect private entities to pay for transit infrastructure. As traffic increases, maybe it will make sense for them to spend some advertising money, but we're way off from that.


It would be a drop in the bucket for them. Also great customer service and a good way to corral their carts.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Postby Busguy2010 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Uffda wrote:It would be a drop in the bucket for them. Also great customer service and a good way to corral their carts.


Dawaune Hayes, Medium wrote:Currently, bus shelters have to be built and maintained by the property owner where a stop is located.


My guess is they don't want to maintain it more than any other reason. They'd have to clean it, replace broken windows, shovel, all that good stuff.

Here's the link, an interesting read : https://medium.com/@dawaunehayes/transp ... a8feb7fcad


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest