METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: METRO (Formerly Metro Area Transit - MAT)

Post by iamjacobm »

I am excited for the opportunity to ride the bus more often. My schedule is changing this fall that will allow me to ride the 2 quite a bit with a lot of ease. Should save a good bit of money and less hassle than my current daily grind offered.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

My office has plans to move from the current location 1 mile from my house (super-convenient bike ride) to a location 10 miles away. Although I still plan to cycle some of the time, I can't count on doing it year round, so I'm planning on doing some driving. I was surprised to find that METRO actually has several routes that actually go between my endpoints. They do take about an hour (vs a 15-20 minute drive), but at least it's a possibility.
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Metro has partnered with UNO Student Government to offer free transit passes to 400 UNO students on a first come first served basis for the Spring 2011 semester.

http://www.unomaha.edu/news/releases/20 ... avride.php

I am delighted to learn of this, and I hope it is a trial that will lead to offering free transit passes to all students in the future. Here in Albany, my university provides free public transit use just by swiping one's student ID card and the impact it has had on college student ridership is incredible. It's an excellent way to help foster a culture of public transit use at a formative age, not to mention providing an amazing service to students who can really use the transportation savings.
UNO announced that starting Jan 2nd all students a faculty members can get a free bus ride by just swiping their ID cards.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

NICE! :thumb:
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I just noticed on 33rd along route 35, there are several permanent, colorful benches installed. Between Hamilton and the cemetery there are benches at almost every stop. I wonder who got that done?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Here is an interesting document. It is old... Curious Metro would post it on their home page just now.

http://www.ometro.com/wp-content/upload ... t-2013.pdf

Overview is we may or may not have multiple dedicated BRT Infrastructure by 2050 (24th street is a very interesting candidate). We may or may not have a light rail line along Dodge and one on 72nd by 2050. It is more likely we will expand express bus services to outlying communities such as Blair, Bennington, Oakland, Glenwood,Plattsmouth, and Lincoln. No exploration of commuter rail so far.

Much of, if not all of the current bus system related improvements mentioned in this review have already been implemented.

My takeaway is the Dodge street BRT will definitely be complete by decade's end and will include a transit only lane on Dodge between 13th and 31st. I think the next BRT corridor will be planned immediately following the opening of the Dodge street BRT. Everything else is up to ongoing planning and won't be entertained till after 2020.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Great article in the paper today about Metro's plans for 2018. Highlights:

GPS tracking of buses!
Mobile fare payment system
11 ORBT stations, construction starting in spring
ORBT launch target of December
15-20 new bus shelters
23 new buses
9 new MOBY vans

http://www.omaha.com/special_sections/o ... 5e4d4.html
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Never noticed this Metro video until now.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha World Herald wrote:» Fifteen to 20 new passenger waiting shelters will be built this year at a mix of new and existing locations, with first priority going to intersecting routes and transfer points.
I'm a little more excited about this part than the others to be honest. There is such a blatant lack of shelters around the metro that 20 new ones will make a big difference.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha World Herald wrote:» Fifteen to 20 new passenger waiting shelters will be built this year at a mix of new and existing locations, with first priority going to intersecting routes and transfer points.
I'm a little more excited about this part than the others to be honest. There is such a blatant lack of shelters around the metro that 20 new ones will make a big difference.
All 4 corners of 40th and Dodge should have a shelter. One of the busier transfer points in the city.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

iamjacobm wrote:All 4 corners of 40th and Dodge should have a shelter. One of the busier transfer points in the city.
Definitely, especially since they took out Midtown Transit Center and moved transfers to on-street. The same should be said about 72nd and Dodge, where Crossroads Transit Center was taken out.

Other important intersections : Every transfer point along 24th, probably 42nd & Dewey for the 3 & 15 and for everybody at UNMC, 72nd & Maple, still others.

Since Metro changed their format, I think that route that connects Benson, Dundee, UNO and Aksarben could be as viable as ever. This would be the one route that would rely almost completely on people who ride because they want to, not because they have to.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

In Europe many cities transportation authorities have outsourced the installation and care of bus stops shelters to advertising companies such as JCDecaux. In exchange, they have the advertising rights in these stops and shelters. I don´t know if such arrangement would be possible in Omaha, specially considering that riding the bus is associated with lower-income population.
Attachments
JCDecaux.jpg
JCDecaux.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

mistergutierrez wrote:In Europe many cities transportation authorities have outsourced the installation and care of bus stops shelters to advertising companies such as JCDecaux. In exchange, they have the advertising rights in these stops and shelters. I don´t know if such arrangement would be possible in Omaha, specially considering that riding the bus is associated with lower-income population.
That looks like a great idea or even approaching businesses. I have always wondered why the WalMart off of Blair high road doesn’t offer to put up a bus shelter and a cart corral as there is a bus stop right on 99th that their customers catch.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Uffda wrote:I have always wondered why the WalMart off of Blair high road doesn’t offer to put up a bus shelter and a cart corral as there is a bus stop right on 99th that their customers catch.
A relatively good amount of people ride the bus to that Walmart for shopping, but I'm positive they make up a super small percentage of their business. Possibly a higher percentage of their employees use the bus to get there, but still, it's probably not worth it to them. Conversely, the 72nd and Pine Walmart has a bit better pedestrian infrastructure, but we're still not sure whether they payed for it, or if it was the city. I don't think we should expect private entities to pay for transit infrastructure. As traffic increases, maybe it will make sense for them to spend some advertising money, but we're way off from that.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Uffda wrote:I have always wondered why the WalMart off of Blair high road doesn’t offer to put up a bus shelter and a cart corral as there is a bus stop right on 99th that their customers catch.
A relatively good amount of people ride the bus to that Walmart for shopping, but I'm positive they make up a super small percentage of their business. Possibly a higher percentage of their employees use the bus to get there, but still, it's probably not worth it to them. Conversely, the 72nd and Pine Walmart has a bit better pedestrian infrastructure, but we're still not sure whether they payed for it, or if it was the city. I don't think we should expect private entities to pay for transit infrastructure. As traffic increases, maybe it will make sense for them to spend some advertising money, but we're way off from that.
It would be a drop in the bucket for them. Also great customer service and a good way to corral their carts.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Uffda wrote:It would be a drop in the bucket for them. Also great customer service and a good way to corral their carts.
Dawaune Hayes, Medium wrote:Currently, bus shelters have to be built and maintained by the property owner where a stop is located.

My guess is they don't want to maintain it more than any other reason. They'd have to clean it, replace broken windows, shovel, all that good stuff.

Here's the link, an interesting read :
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Anyone know when they're supposed to get a start on constructing the Orbt route? I thought it was supposed to be this spring but have not heard anything yet.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ModeShift just made a blog post about the project, but doesn't say much about construction starting.

https://modeshiftomaha.org/2018/04/19/t ... is-coming/
student
New to the Neighborhood

Post by student »

I spoke with a metro representative the other day and he said the start of construction for ORBT was pushed back to the fall. Also, all stations are going to be assembled off site and brought in and placed along the route.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

student wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 pm I spoke with a metro representative the other day and he said the start of construction for ORBT was pushed back to the fall. Also, all stations are going to be assembled off site and brought in and placed along the route.
Last I heard, the goal was to have it running by the end of the year. That must have been Evan you spoke to. He would know. Did he mention whether or not it would be complete by the end of the year?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

student wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 pm I spoke with a metro representative the other day and he said the start of construction for ORBT was pushed back to the fall. Also, all stations are going to be assembled off site and brought in and placed along the route.
Do they have pics of the station design out?
student
New to the Neighborhood

Post by student »

I'm not sure who I spoke with but he made it sound like it wouldn't be up and running by the end of the year like they originally planned. The station designs haven't been made public yet, but they are going to go on metros website soon with an update on the project. All stations and buses are supposed to have wifi. You will still be able to buy tickets ahead of time at stations that will have real-time arrival data. All the stations will be identical so when BRT spreads to other corridors it can be easily replicated. Sounds like metro also got rid of the bus-only lanes at 90th and 72nd, and the contra-flow lane that was supposed to run from 30th street east. Rather, ORBT will take Douglas St. along with normal traffic flow.
Gopher
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gopher »

student wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm Sounds like metro also got rid of the bus-only lanes at 90th and 72nd, and the contra-flow lane that was supposed to run from 30th street east. Rather, ORBT will take Douglas St. along with normal traffic flow.
That's disappointing. Why call it "rapid" at this point?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Those are pretty necessary components they want to get rid of if true. They might as well just scrap the project then if it’s not going to really be rapid. Would they come back and add them later? Do it right or don’t do it at all.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am Those are pretty necessary components they want to get rid of if true. They might as well just scrap the project then if it’s not going to really be rapid. Would they come back and add them later? Do it right or don’t do it at all.
I'm taking this with a grain of salt, until metro releases further information.

It really is too bad there's no realistic way to separate thus thing from traffic all along Dodge. I always said it would be way more effective if we could limit the curb lane to bus and right turns, eastbound in the morning and westbound in the evening.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/metro-transi ... 73f0b.html
The ORBT buses will run from Westroads Mall to 10th and Douglas Streets. People will be able to board from 12 stations in each direction. The stations will be unlike any current Omaha bus stops. They and the buses will be designed for level boarding — no climbing steps.

The stations will have message boards with real-time information about when the next bus is coming. Equipped with roofs, benches and Wi-Fi, they will have kiosks for buying tickets, if people haven’t already prepaid. No cash will be taken on the bus.
The buses will travel both ways on Dodge Street from Westroads to Turner Park, about 31st Street, where Dodge becomes a westbound one-way. From there the eastbound ORBT buses will travel on Douglas Street before turning around and heading west on Dodge.

In downtown Omaha, the ORBT buses will run in a “business access and transit only” lane on the north side of Dodge Street. That lane will be reserved for buses and for regular vehicles turning into or out of businesses.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Also a new site with more info: http://www.rideorbt.com/
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I'll have to take some time later to get more in depth, but it looks like they weren't lying about the scalebacks.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

This thing is going to flop pretty fast and hard. There won't be enough people riding this thing to fill a regular bus much less this ridiculous giant bus. :P
The stations East of 42nd will all be vandalized and tore up in a year or so. The talk of putting a Kiosk in the stations is sure foolishness. Those Kiosk in the stations downtown will not make it 6 months before they are broke into. I remember when I first saw the vending machine that used to be at the entrance to the Bob Kerry Bridge and was shocked that someone could believe that would not get broken into. Other then that it looks pretty cool!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Okay, that's not so bad. There will still be BAT lanes along Dodge and Douglas, and the jump lanes wouldn't have done much better since there's still the light extension technology. They moved the Dundee stop to 49th, added a stop at 35th ave, and added the 8th and Farnam loop with no stop for it. Those are some curious changes. Oh and I really like the station design. They really serve their purpose and don't come close to over the top.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm This thing is going to flop pretty fast and hard. There won't be enough people riding this thing to fill a regular bus much less this ridiculous giant bus. :P
The stations East of 42nd will all be vandalized and tore up in a year or so. The talk of putting a Kiosk in the stations is sure foolishness. Those Kiosk in the stations downtown will not make it 6 months before they are broke into. I remember when I first saw the vending machine that used to be at the entrance to the Bob Kerry Bridge and was shocked that someone could believe that would not get broken into. Other then that it looks pretty cool!
Vandalism is a legitimate concern. Hopefully there will be adequate deterrents in place.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:22 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm This thing is going to flop pretty fast and hard. There won't be enough people riding this thing to fill a regular bus much less this ridiculous giant bus. :P
Vandalism is a legitimate concern. Hopefully there will be adequate deterrents in place.
Grandpa you might have moments of classist prejudice, but I adore you anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the worst vandalism in Omaha is graffiti. You guys make it seem like there's a hooligan waiting on the night with a bat and a hammer waiting to destroy everything beautiful in this world. It's not East St Louis, it's Omaha.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Unfortunately, Gramps will be proven right on the vandalism I believe.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

daveoma wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that the worst vandalism in Omaha is graffiti. You guys make it seem like there's a hooligan waiting on the night with a bat and a hammer waiting to destroy everything beautiful in this world. It's not East St Louis, it's Omaha.

Yeah. Because graffiti all over these stations is really going to convince people who don't ride buses to want to jump on board with this.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I haven't stood in or around a piece of Omaha's transit infrastructure that hasn't been defaced in some way. It's just something to get used to. If more people want to ride a bus, more people will figure out there's two options: You can stand at a vandalized station and decide it isn't for you, or you can stand at a vandalized station and wait for your bus.

On the ORBT route itself, it remains to be seen if it'll be an effective form of transit. Based on my experience, this is route 2 for people who've never wanted to ride a bus regularly.. This seems to be Metro's first effort to attract people who won't ride a bus. We'll see if that goal is met.

There is a good deal of apprehension among current riders, if this will improve or reduce their service.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

NEDodger wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:24 am
daveoma wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Yeah. Because graffiti all over these stations is really going to convince people who don't ride buses to want to jump on board with this.
Graffiti is easy to remediate. It won't doom the BRT.
Gopher
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gopher »

It looks like Metro has started construction at the Westroads Transit Center for ORBT. The transit center is closed, so buses are currently stopping on 102nd Street, directly west of Yonkers.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I drove by the transit center today and I'm confident this particular construction is normal maintenance of the concrete pad of the TC. As of right now, there's no indication of ORBT construction. Maybe when they're done with the concrete pad they will work on the ORBT portion, who knows? I don't know. What they're doing now looks like maintenance, which is understandable after about 10 years of consistent bus traffic.
Gopher
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gopher »

I stand corrected! :D With construction starting just after the station design reveal, I jumped to conclusions.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »