Omaha Streetcar Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Official: Omaha Streetcar Discussion

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Right..

No news. Nothing to update. But the W-H places a large front page piece in the Sunday paper..

Maybe we need to commission a “study” to analyze the reasoning for the W-H article...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Wrightfan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Wrightfan »

Aside from Kansas City, Omaha streetcar boosters should also follow progress in Milwaukee. From what I observed when there last October, Phase 1 of their streetcar line has track work and "stations" nearly finished with an anticipated opening in 2018. The Phase 1 route runs through north and east sections of downtown ("East Town") and then dips into the Historic 3rd Ward, which is similar to the Old Market (but a bit more eclectic in offerings).

It's too early to predict a kick-off of Phase 2 or any additional extensions. It was a very difficult slog (due to local and state politics) just to get to this point, as Republicans seemed to try every maneuver possible to stop it (even after construction was already in full swing and money was being doled out - unbelievable).

https://www.themilwaukeestreetcar.com/route.php
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The valuable bit of information in the article is that the report is due at the end of December now. They easily could have just said "A report originally set to be released in October is now due for the end of December."

But this is streetcar related so the longer the article, the more the hot button nature.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Right..

No news. Nothing to update. But the W-H places a large front page piece in the Sunday paper..

Maybe we need to commission a “study” to analyze the reasoning for the W-H article...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think we know what the FAKE NEWS is up to with this. First they have a big front page article boasting all the great things Con Agra is going to do downtown and then a couple days later they are back to pushing the Street Car. This aint no Coincidence. How long before they start telling us that unless we build the Street Car Con Agra might not invest all that money? As far as "Commission" I don't know who is getting a commission for helping sell that Street Car but you can bet there is a lot of money to be made for the right people.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think we know what the FAKE NEWS is up to with this. First they have a big front page article boasting all the great things Con Agra is going to do downtown and then a couple days later they are back to pushing the Street Car. This aint no Coincidence.
How do you live your daily life with all these conspiracies?
How long before they start telling us that unless we build the Street Car Con Agra might not invest all that money?
Hopefully very soon. Some sort of viable public transportation at least. SOMEBODY needs to start pushing for viable transit.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Hopefully very soon. Some sort of viable public transportation at least. SOMEBODY needs to start pushing for viable transit.
Unless I miss my guess the FAKE NEWS should be telling us this on their Front
Page by Friday! :yes:
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Even as someone who is generally opposed to the streetcar I don't mind them putting out this article. Those of us who pay constant attention to this know a lot of the issues and have formed our opinions.

Most Omahans don't know what the financing options might look like, what comparable cities have done, etc. The OWH piece definitely feels pro-streetcar but not so imbalanced that it's not a useful bit of information for people to have when the study is released later this month and Stothert starts stumping for it.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think we know what the FAKE NEWS is up to with this. First they have a big front page article boasting all the great things Con Agra is going to do downtown and then a couple days later they are back to pushing the Street Car. This aint no Coincidence. How long before they start telling us that unless we build the Street Car Con Agra might not invest all that money? As far as "Commission" I don't know who is getting a commission for helping sell that Street Car but you can bet there is a lot of money to be made for the right people.
Take off the tinfoil hat grandpa :lol:
#gohawks
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think we know what the FAKE NEWS is up to with this. First they have a big front page article boasting all the great things Con Agra is going to do downtown and then a couple days later they are back to pushing the Street Car. This aint no Coincidence.
How do you live your daily life with all these conspiracies?
How long before they start telling us that unless we build the Street Car Con Agra might not invest all that money?
Hopefully very soon. Some sort of viable public transportation at least. SOMEBODY needs to start pushing for viable transit.
Well, I’ll say this- I find it very curious, on the heels of multiple stories on the ConAgra development, Omahans are treated to a significant, no new revelation piece as the W-H Sunday headliner- regarding streetcars. I have a historically reliable source telling me today, that Mutual is among the entities pushing for this big time.. Whatever.. We shall see..

Call it what we want, but I see this (again) as very curious/peculiar to say the least. Stay tuned...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Unless they figure out some way to limit voting on it, to those in the vicinity of the line itself, as was done in KC... it will never come to fruition. Ask every voter in the city of Omaha to approve it... it fails.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

:( :(
Stargazer wrote:Unless they figure out some way to limit voting on it, to those in the vicinity of the line itself, as was done in KC... it will never come to fruition. Ask every voter in the city of Omaha to approve it... it fails.

You could do this if you also limited the taxes or other financial support.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Stargazer wrote:Unless they figure out some way to limit voting on it, to those in the vicinity of the line itself, as was done in KC... it will never come to fruition. Ask every voter in the city of Omaha to approve it... it fails.
I wonder if they could do a special TIF district for it, like the one they made here in Chicago for the reconstruction of the nothern Red Line. Basically, any increases in property taxes within ~1 mile or so of the line goes to help pay for the streetcar.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Garrett wrote:
I wonder if they could do a special TIF district for it, like the one they made here in Chicago for the reconstruction of the nothern Red Line. Basically, any increases in property taxes within ~1 mile or so of the line goes to help pay for the streetcar.
The people would have to know that they were still on the hook for the regular taxes and this was on top of them. Simpler would be to make it a private Corp and let folks buy stock in it.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

bigredmed1 wrote: Simpler would be to make it a private Corp and let folks buy stock in it.
There is no need for the wheelers and the dealers and the schemers to put their own money at risk. They will get the taxpayers to take all the risks and they will make their money building it and setting it up and tying up the choice pieces of real estate in case the thing actually does work out. :yes:
We know they are going to ram this thing down our throats and make us pay for it. The only question is what new sneaky underhanded way will they go about doing it. Obviously they will never ever risk allowing it to go to a fair vote.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote: Simpler would be to make it a private Corp and let folks buy stock in it.
There is no need for the wheelers and the dealers and the schemers to put their own money at risk. They will get the taxpayers to take all the risks and they will make their money building it and setting it up and tying up the choice pieces of real estate in case the thing actually does work out. :yes:
We know they are going to ram this thing down our throats and make us pay for it. The only question is what new sneaky underhanded way will they go about doing it. Obviously they will never ever risk allowing it to go to a fair vote.
Then if it does work & they build out the "choice" pieces of real estate they'll pay higher taxes on those "choice" pieces of real estate. If they don't build out the "choice" pieces of real estate and the "choice" pieces of real estate don't turn out to be higher in value the wheelers & dealer and schemers lose out. You should root for this to happen & fail. It would make your day!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

NovakOmaha wrote: You should root for this to happen & fail. It would make your day!
Read My Lips! ITS GOING TO HAPPEN! There is what I want and there is what you want and that don't matter to the guys looking to get rich off this boondoggle. Were just magpies sitting on the power line shooting the breeze. They have convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are going to build that streetcar no matter if we want it or not. Were getting it. Get it?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, the entire streetcar for Omaha idea has been talked about and shelved, talked about and shelved then talked about and shelved again for the past 15 years. Study after study after study after study has been completed.. Then the idea shelved..

I’m not optimistic streetcars will happen for Omaha anytime soon.. But then again, I see correlation between the big ConAgra proposed development news..then a large Sunday W-H piece regarding streetcar development..and then I have a reliable source telling me that the powers to be at Mutual of Omaha are among several big proponents for a streetcar line.. and I start to think- hmmm. Maybe this could happen..

Then I read about another Study that needs to be “studied”.. And it brings me back to reality again.. I just don’t see it happening. And if it was brought to a vote of the general public, I’d throw in the words- definitely not..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, the entire streetcar for Omaha idea has been talked about and shelved, talked about and shelved then talked about and shelved again for the past 15 years. Study after study after study after study has been completed.. Then the idea shelved..

I’m not optimistic streetcars will happen for Omaha anytime soon.. But then again, I see correlation between the big ConAgra proposed development news..then a large Sunday W-H piece regarding streetcar development..and then I have a reliable source telling me that the powers to be at Mutual of Omaha are among several big proponents for a streetcar line.. and I start to think- hmmm. Maybe this could happen..

Then I read about another Study that needs to be “studied”.. And it brings me back to reality again.. I just don’t see it happening. And if it was brought to a vote of the general public, I’d throw in the words- definitely not..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Make it a private corp. Let Mutual buy 30% and the rest of the corps buy in as well as those rich people who stand to profit from it buy in, then they can go crazy. When they want everyone to buy in, even if it never (and I mean this in the most literal sense) will benefit them by paying even more taxes to fund it, then no. I can safely bet that it would not pass. And that is a good thing. Our city has too many boondoggles that benefit a few rich people and come at a cost that is born by the many who will never see a gain of any sort.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, the entire streetcar for Omaha idea has been talked about and shelved, talked about and shelved then talked about and shelved again for the past 15 years. Study after study after study after study has been completed.. Then the idea shelved..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Make it a private corp. Let Mutual buy 30% and the rest of the corps buy in as well as those rich people who stand to profit from it buy in, then they can go crazy. When they want everyone to buy in, even if it never (and I mean this in the most literal sense) will benefit them by paying even more taxes to fund it, then no. I can safely bet that it would not pass. And that is a good thing. Our city has too many boondoggles that benefit a few rich people and come at a cost that is born by the many who will never see a gain of any sort.
Interesting concept. Won’t happen though.. With the cliche “Fat cats don’t hunt” also comes- “want their cake and eat it too”. Translation- they don’t want to have to pay for it, but will gladly reap any and all of the associated benefits :) ..

No worries though. The idea of Streetcars running again in Omaha will most likely be buried in another 15 years worth of “Studies”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Interesting concept. Won’t happen though.. With the cliche “Fat cats don’t hunt” also comes- “want their cake and eat it too”. Translation- they don’t want to have to pay for it, but will gladly reap any and all of the associated benefits :) ..

No worries though. The idea of Streetcars running again in Omaha will most likely be buried in another 15 years worth of “Studies”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Not to mention unless we go full libertarian road infrastructure is generally a public function. Are we going to start having votes about street widening or repairs? Transfer ownership of the roads to a private corp and have them charge usage fees?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Dundeemaha wrote: Not to mention unless we go full libertarian road infrastructure is generally a public function. Are we going to start having votes about street widening or repairs? Transfer ownership of the roads to a private corp and have them charge usage fees?
There are many parts of the country that have toll roads that are run by private or quasi-governmental agencies... Heck, even the old Bellevue toll bridge in the Omaha metro is run privately.

Its not all that hard to believe we might have a privately run streetcar. Or at least funded privately (Heritage services?), and run by an agency not specifically directly tied to the city of Omaha (similar to MECA).
Last edited by Ben on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The original Omaha Streetcars were run by private companies.
https://northomahahistory.com/2015/03/1 ... rth-omaha/

The success of the new streetcar in KC seems to be because users can ride it for free and it is partially/mostly paid for by the property owners served by it.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Given the status of the rest of the metro mass transit or lack thereof - I am still not sold on building the streetcar. I also have a problem with the part of the route that takes it down in front of the CLC and the stadium - although I see that part being used when there are events , I also see that part being empty a lot of times. Maybe a turn up Capital would make more sense.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Uffda wrote:Given the status of the rest of the metro mass transit or lack thereof - I am still not sold on building the streetcar. I also have a problem with the part of the route that takes it down in front of the CLC and the stadium - although I see that part being used when there are events , I also see that part being empty a lot of times. Maybe a turn up Capital would make more sense.
True, and I'm sure their intention of that leg of the route was to provide access to the CLC and the stadium, but we must keep in mind that the area is not poised to remain static. Eventually there will be more development down there, like what they have planned for Lot D, that will add a number of origins and destinations to the route.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

What are the odds the Kiewett plan is taking the streetcar as "going to pass right by" 14th and Mike Fahey?

Could this be positioning to be on the line? Or maybe additional incentive to run the line?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Athomsfere wrote:What are the odds the Kiewett plan is taking the streetcar as "going to pass right by" 14th and Mike Fahey?
The potential line would run right past their current properties on Farnam, which does raise some interesting possibilities. Though, I don't ever see the Blackstone Hotel ever getting torn down (hope I didn't jinx that). Their new property would only be a couple of blocks away from the NDT terminus. Definitely an advantageous position.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

It seems like this would open the possibility of a circulator route back up. My ambitious dreams have whittled down over the years and I currently think only three streetcars routes would ever make it. Farnam, Tenth Street, and a Downtown Circulator. I would really love to see one on Park avenue but it's hard to decide if it should connect up to Farnam by Midtown Crossing, or use St Mary's to create a new streetcar corridor.

Lately, I just don't see us ever having a widespread streetcar system like I used to think. I used to think pretty much every street that used to have a streetcar should have one in the future. But now I just think it wouldn't fly to have them on the more main streets. So I think it'll be fully limited to secondary streets.

Anyway, I've been having some fun lately, so check it out and have some fun with me. Edit it for fun, too.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think that Grandpa's perception must be common to a lot of people in the city. He has a point that the streetcar (in its transportation function) would benefit a small group of neighborhoods, and development would benefit those who already own land along the route--I'm looking at you Mutual of Omaha. One could argue that this will make some rich people richer on the backs of tax payers who would pay for the project.

Also I think there's a difference of lifestyle that causes this topic to incite passions on both side. It's my perception that streetcars seem to be most successful in progressive/liberal communities such as Minneapolis, Portland, Denver, etc. I have yet to hear the streetcar in Little Rock being a huge success. Maybe Omaha's largely traditional/conservative culture that's slow to embrace new ideas would not patronize a streetcar enough to make it successful? Why should people who resist change abandon the old fashioned, cloistered, and cushy automobile for a modern streetcar which requires you to expose yourself to weather and share a space with everyone else in the community--even those you don't like?

Perhaps a better question to ask would be: are the communities along the proposed route progressive enough to support the streetcar enough to make it a success? Would streetcars be a more viable mode of transportation compared to buying an Uber at 2:00 am or filling up the gas tank just to go to the grocery store? Would it spur enough development to benefit the city as a whole? And to address Grandpa's concern, how do we as tax payers ensure that those who stand to benefit the most from a streetcar invest their fair share into such a large infrastructure project?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

3 days into the new year and the FAKE NEWS is back at it beating the Midtown Streetcar Drum. It was only a one liner buried in a front page article about the future of transportation in Omaha. The article implies that if we are to land big companies like Amazon then we are going to need a streetcar in Midtown. They got to be kidding but unfortunately they are not. They are going to ram that Streetcar down out throats and its going to be sooner or later. What a waste of time and money and opportunity to run that streetcar up and down Farnam :roll: If we absolutely have to have a streetcar could we at least run it in an area where people will ride it and use it like the CrossRoads?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:3 days into the new year and the FAKE NEWS is back at it beating the Midtown Streetcar Drum. It was only a one liner buried in a front page article about the future of transportation in Omaha. The article implies that if we are to land big companies like Amazon then we are going to need a streetcar in Midtown. They got to be kidding but unfortunately they are not. They are going to ram that Streetcar down out throats and its going to be sooner or later. What a waste of time and money and opportunity to run that streetcar up and down Farnam :roll: If we absolutely have to have a streetcar could we at least run it in an area where people will ride it and use it like the CrossRoads?
I agree with Grandpa that the WH is reporting the transportation interests of those who would benefit from certain infrastructure projects as opposed to encouraging the people to make their voices heard. I think article assumes that majority transportation is supposed to go to wider streets. Why is this assumption being made in a time of transportation innovation?? The at also mentions there's going to be a funding shortfall. So they're increase taxes on of us to benefit those who want to carve up agricultural land to more sprawl? No bueno. And why doesn't the WH question why this should be and call out the study for it's conclusions and offer alternative solutions from other studies?

Obese interstates benefit suburbanites at the expense of those who live within and surrounding the urban core. What about the city as a whole? Widening streets and interstates is expensive for the city to maintain, so how will a wider street on the 200th block make the entire city of Omaha a better place? I'm not necessarily sold on the streetcar anymore, but the emphasis should be on treating land as a precious resource, increasing urban density, and limiting noise and small particulate pollution. Fat interstates don't help us to accomplish these goals.

I might not agree with you on that to do with the transportation funding Grandpa, but I definitely agree that the World Herald is advocating for special interests instead of doing their jobs as journalists and questioning/investigating these issues.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

daveoma wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:3 days into the new year and the FAKE NEWS is back at it beating the Midtown Streetcar Drum. It was only a one liner buried in a front page article about the future of transportation in Omaha. The article implies that if we are to land big companies like Amazon then we are going to need a streetcar in Midtown. They got to be kidding but unfortunately they are not. They are going to ram that Streetcar down out throats and its going to be sooner or later. What a waste of time and money and opportunity to run that streetcar up and down Farnam :roll: If we absolutely have to have a streetcar could we at least run it in an area where people will ride it and use it like the CrossRoads?
I might not agree with you on that to do with the transportation funding Grandpa, but I definitely agree that the World Herald is advocating for special interests instead of doing their jobs as journalists and questioning/investigating these issues.
For what it’s worth.. There is little doubt in my mind the W-H is pushing an agenda advocating a streetcar line.. Similar to their anti casino agenda the last time that issue came to a vote of the public multiple years back...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Thinking more about that article during the day leaves me shaking my head. The article was talking about Semis and trucks that would be driving down I-80 without human drivers. That concept is about as obviously flawed and ridiculous as Amazon someday delivering packages to our houses by drones. I cant imagine 2 lanes of driver less trucks going down I-80 60 miles an hour. It wouldn't work.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Thinking more about that article during the day leaves me shaking my head. The article was talking about Semis and trucks that would be driving down I-80 without human drivers. That concept is about as obviously flawed and ridiculous as Amazon someday delivering packages to our houses by drones. I cant imagine 2 lanes of driver less trucks going down I-80 60 miles an hour. It wouldn't work.
We are in agreement about the autonomous vehicles. They, along with all the other new unnecessary auxiliary technology are degenerative toward humanity. So I guess we're supposed to sit on our bums and let technology do everything for us while we are immersed in a fabricated reality. What are we good for at that point?

I'll be the savage walking down the sidewalk in 2050, while everyone around me is zipping by in their automated hovermobiles and snacking on holographic tofu. Well, hopefully it doesn't get that far, but some of the things people are coming up with lately are just stupid and degenerative. I feel this way about smart phones as well. All we need is a phone that makes calls, texts, takes pictures, and can access the internet. All the other stupid shoot that makes a phone cost a grand is, again, degenerative.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Thinking more about that article during the day leaves me shaking my head. The article was talking about Semis and trucks that would be driving down I-80 without human drivers. That concept is about as obviously flawed and ridiculous as Amazon someday delivering packages to our houses by drones. I cant imagine 2 lanes of driver less trucks going down I-80 60 miles an hour. It wouldn't work.
Self-Driving Trucks May Be Closer Than They Appear
With fewer cultural hurdles and more financial incentives than car owners, big-rig operators are charting the route to an autonomous future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/busi ... rucks.html

Self-Driving Trucks
Tractor-trailers without a human at the wheel will soon barrel onto highways near you. What will this mean for the nation’s 1.7 million truck drivers?
Availability: 5 to 10 years

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6034 ... ng-trucks/
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Uffda wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Self-Driving Trucks May Be Closer Than They Appear
With fewer cultural hurdles and more financial incentives than car owners, big-rig operators are charting the route to an autonomous future.

Self-Driving Trucks
Tractor-trailers without a human at the wheel will soon barrel onto highways near you. What will this mean for the nation’s 1.7 million truck drivers?

Nice modern day example of FAKE NEWS. It might happen 50 years from now but not 5 to 10 years from now. Total hogwash!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Self-Driving Trucks

Nice modern day example of FAKE NEWS. It might happen 50 years from now but not 5 to 10 years from now. Total hogwash!
It's obviously not FAKE NEWS if people are actually actively trying to accomplish having driver-less/autonomous trucks as soon as possible. Whether they should be doing so is the real question. Next thing you know, they'll want to group self-driving trucks into big long lines. Then we'll have something resembling trains on our highways. Not a good idea, in my opinion. Then we'll need to have separate roads for autonomous vehicles.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

GetUrban wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Self-Driving Trucks

It's obviously not FAKE NEWS if people are actually actively trying to accomplish having driver-less/autonomous trucks as soon as possible. Whether they should be doing so is the real question. Next thing you know, they'll want to group self-driving trucks into big long lines. Then we'll have something resembling trains on our highways. Not a good idea, in my opinion. Then we'll need to have separate roads for autonomous vehicles.
The more autonomous cars are on the roads, the safer and more efficient they will become. Furthermore, I don't think it's that far off. Technology tends to advance at an exponential scale, not a linear one. The gap of time between telegraph, telephone, cell phone, texting phone, and smart phone is shorter with each passing generation.

[youtube][/youtube]
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Busguy2010 wrote:
We are in agreement about the autonomous vehicles. They, along with all the other new unnecessary auxiliary technology are degenerative toward humanity. So I guess we're supposed to sit on our bums and let technology do everything for us while we are immersed in a fabricated reality. What are we good for at that point?

I'll be the savage walking down the sidewalk in 2050, while everyone around me is zipping by in their automated hovermobiles and snacking on holographic tofu. Well, hopefully it doesn't get that far, but some of the things people are coming up with lately are just stupid and degenerative. I feel this way about smart phones as well. All we need is a phone that makes calls, texts, takes pictures, and can access the internet. All the other stupid shoot that makes a phone cost a grand is, again, degenerative.
A lot of people would disagree with you on the cellphone bit. My grandma would say she just needs her cellphone to make calls. Until a few years ago, my mom would say just calls and texts, maybe the occasional picture. You would say access the internet. Now people are using them to make payments with features like Apple Pay, Venmo, and various others. Every new generation of tech has its naysayers. PwC put out a study estimating that as many as 38% of US jobs will be threatened by automation by 2030. Kinda creates fundamental questions about what our future economy and lives will look like.

Anyway, streetcars are cool.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I think being young and born in a world where the USA has competition on the world stage has helped me to accept that fact that THINGS ARE GOING TO CHANGE, and each and every one of us has to adapt to a more diverse, advanced society and if you don’t you’ll be left behind. I disagree with fat interstates but autonomous vehicles are coming quick.
#gohawks
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I agree autonomous vehicles are coming sooner rather than later, but it's going to take a long time to integrate them into manual traffic or completely replace regular old-school vehicles, if ever. I think we'll end up with "autonomous only" lanes to start with. Those lanes might not be the "fast lanes" though, given people's desire to speed, and the autonomous cars being programmed to not break the law. Perhaps there will have to be exceptions, for safety's sake. Maybe autonomous vehicles will act as automatic speed limit enforcers by simply forcing non-autonomous people to drive the limit.

Sorry to veer off the streetcar topic.