Omaha Streetcar Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Zephyr wrote:The only problem with running a streetcar route to the airport from downtown is that there really is no reason to stop from Gallup to the Airport... that's more of a rapid transit route for LRT or express buses.
The airport is a logical transit connection and an easy one. I would suggest starting out with a 20- or 30-minute frequency express bus, with the plan to transition to light rail in the future.

A possible route could look like this:
http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2830
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That link brings up something else for me Zephyr. This is tomorrow night, anyone else on here going?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I will be in attendance. :D

I'll have to remember to apologize to Mr. Daub for accidentally stepping on his foot at the Holland Center opening!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You |expletive|! :) I'll have to work to not seem to excited.
DTO
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Cool - I look forward to seeing you guys there! Should be a full of streetcar/transit information!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ill think ill go and step on his other foot wile D’Shawn spills soda on him…
Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaa :lol:
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'm going to try and attend. It depends on how family plans shake out.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

almighty_tuna wrote:I'm going to try and attend. It depends on how family plans shake out.
Hey tuna, don’t forget that 34lbs 145megapixle camera to post pics of all the stuff for those who won’t make it.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Watch WOWT tonight at 10. There is a special about the streetcars.

I can't watch, I have work from 10-2. :(
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

They will replay the 10pm news all the way to 5am so you could catch it. I was there, along with Jeff, Coyote, DTO, Wags and redfield. A few lurkers were present as well. The demographic was really different from what I expected - I'd say half were of retirement age, a few small business owners and personalities like Jeff Beals of Grow Omaha. It was a spectacular presentation. I've never met Hal Daub in person, so listening to him speak was a real highlight. Its good to have him pushing for rail. Hal and Eric (Zephyr) seemed to present two different ideas for streetcar use, but in the end both are feasable and would produce great results of business growth and marketing of the city. Thanks for making the trip from Denver, Eric. Sounds like the timing is ripe for this to make serious inroads.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Didn't seem like WOWT stayed around very long. Aside from not having a projector screen (if you can't get one next time Eric... let me know and I'll hook you up!) the presentations were well done. Hal was of course as enthusiastic as ever... I wonder if he'd consider another mayoral run. Tawana Black didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, but she certainly seemed full of energy where Destination Midtown was concerned... and of course Eric was as pleasant to listen to as always, full of information. It was a very good turnout... not sure what the number ended up being... I would say at least 50 people. Very well done Eric! Looking forward to the next one.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

:D

By the way... thanks D'Shawn!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Haha, thats pretty cool, I musta took off right before the modeling. :lol: Good number of people there, good info all around. Mr. Daub (as could be expected) is a great speaker, great to have someone like him pushing for this. Also, Tuna and DTO, you guys were on WOWs broadcast REAL quick. :lol:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

They got a good shot of the back of my head.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hah, yeah I saw that on 6. I was the anti-focus for Tawanna Black on Channel 7. They got a good shot of the eOmaha table as well.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks for coming, guys. And nice photo, Jeff! Thanks for the offer on the screen - I didn't know what the room looked like, so had no idea.

The group now has many new members and several who want to be on the commission, so I can finally take a back seat for a while.

It's interesting that the news channels, 6 in particular, presented the 10th Street concept, but the Omaha Streetcar group is really focused on the Midtown route. Perhaps a the proposed route map on the website will clarify things...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I really kick myself for missing this event..But a prior work commitment took precedent..I am glad everything worked out so well..

I met with D'Shawn after the meet and he filled me in on many of the details..

Nice pic Jeff..D'Shawn has one of him and Hal as well..I am quite sure he will be posting it here :) ..

Congrats Eric..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

For those from the forum that were at spagetti works last night, it was nice meeting you, sorry I couldn't stay and chat afterwords.

I walked into the place a little curious, and certainly thinking it would be nice to have a streetcar system in Omaha. I walked away very excitted about it, and feeling like it's very possible and extreemly important. The turnout was encouraging, I wasn't expecting that many people :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Bump..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

So, predictably, the meeting last night made the OWH who made a decent summary of the happenings. However, I would like to highlight the following:
Curt Simon, who didn't bother to attend wrote:development of a streetcar line could not be justified if the goal were only providing an alternative for commuters.
Get informed - who commutes 10 blocks?...please :roll: Obviously a route from Gallup to the QC to Durham is not a commuter route. The Farnam/Harney route could be used by some as commuter, but clearly the intent is not in the design.
Curt Simon also wrote:the cost could be justified if the goals included boosting tourism and drawing more businesses to the area.
Daub said economic development and stronger tourism would be key goals.

So by that logic, the cost for a streetcar system is justified and perhaps we could get some more official backing from MAT on this issue. I think it would've been in MAT's best interest to have a representative attend, but I must grugingly concede that sometimes that's not always an option.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Anybody else see that poll on KETV.com? Looks like people in Omaha want a lightrail 2 to 1.

Percentage of 658 Votes

Yes 442 67%
No 216 33%
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Awesome.

City Council Members take note!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few pics from the night:

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Imagefrom http://www.chron.com

crash today of a metro light rail in downtown houston. i know im probably in the minority, but to me this is evidence that rail should be a separate grade from the road.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Then so should cars. These things happen when people aren't paying attention or just being stupid. Light rails aren't especially fast, it looks like it just got hit by another car.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I picked the worst day to shave. I've only ever been clean shaven twice and I now know why I hate it. I told people I was a 14-yr old for Halloween. :)

DTO
john
New to the Neighborhood

Post by john »

Nice to meet some of you guys at the spagetti works. Interesting meeting. I hope the idea takes off. Eric- good luck with your project. I hope you can make some headway.

John (a past lurker who has come out of the closet for a quik post)[/list]
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hey John, glad you finally posted!

Zephyr, the timing may be nearly perfect for an airport integration. There's no doubt that we will be approaching the 5mil mark soon, and with it will come a terminal expansion. It would be a top priority to get the Airport Authority on board with the streetcar initiative. You spoke last night of building a trolly-way to light rail standards for future LRT use. This is kind of a once-in-50yrs kind of opportunity to integrate the airport with the transportation system from the get-go. If we could get airport expansion plans to accommodate for such use I think it would be a huge boost to the cause.
john
New to the Neighborhood

Post by john »

sorry - I posted on another link in the "General Discussion" area. But I am a lurker that came out for spagetti and information. Eric - good informative presentation and I enjoyed meeting the guys that were there. Thanks for letting me crash your table.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome aboard John... and it was a pleasure to meet you!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

A few questions:

1. What is a plenary session anyway?
2. Who would be conducting this $200,000-$400,000 study, Zephyr and the company he works for?
3. Is the current City Administration on board, or just the one that was voted out of office and really has no say at the current time?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

UNOstudent wrote:Imagefrom http://www.chron.com

crash today of a metro light rail in downtown houston. i know im probably in the minority, but to me this is evidence that rail should be a separate grade from the road.
Are you going to post pictures from the other 31,875 car crashes that occured today that didn't involve LRT?

I do however think that at least some part of Omaha's LRT should be subway, especially in the east part of the city to navigate the hills in the winter time.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Harpoon wrote:3. Is the current City Administration on board, or just the one that was voted out of office and really has no say at the current time?
"Are you listening, hear the money talk."
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Swift wrote:

Are you going to post pictures from the other 31,875 car crashes that occured today that didn't involve LRT?

I do however think that at least some part of Omaha's LRT should be subway, especially in the east part of the city to navigate the hills in the winter time.
no, but why add another variable and have 40,000 crashes everyday. since im getting blasted for my opinion of having rail at a separate grade, then why did u just say they should put a subway in?

and also, they do have roads at separate grades - those are called interstates.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

There is definitely some opportunity to improve on cases like Houston. I remember during the Houston Super Bowl hearing about how scary the new Houston streetcar/light rail system was for pedestrians and drivers. People were saying it just seemed to be out of place. I'll post a link if I find an article.

I am still very much in favor of the streetcar system that Zephyr is proposing!!! I just want to mention a case that I know he can improve upon!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

UNOstudent wrote:
Swift wrote:

no, but why add another variable and have 40,000 crashes everyday. since im getting blasted for my opinion of having rail at a separate grade, then why did u just say they should put a subway in?

and also, they do have roads at separate grades - those are called interstates.
But it could be another variable that REDUCES the number of car crashes (i.e. less people driving, more people riding LRT).

I wasn't trying to come off as "blasting" you, I was just saying that you can't prove this driver wouldn't have gotten in a car accident even if there wasn't any train. I couldn't find the article at the link, but judging from the angle of impact on the car it looks like the driver turned infront of the LRT (meaning it was his fault). It just seems weird to me because a lot of the LRT here is street level and it's really ridiculously easy to drive next to, around etc these LRT Cars.

I do think that some sections of Omaha's LRT would need to be underground, but it defintely makes more sense in certain places for it to be at the same grade as street level (West O).
Last edited by Swift on Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

UNOstudent wrote:and also, they do have roads at separate grades - those are called interstates.
Haha, I know that. :lol: You forgot overpasses, bridges, and tunnels. I don't know if it would be feasible to have above or below grade LRTs. How big is the budget, if any?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

just wanted to post the link to the herald article on this thread...

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2057670

Jeff or Cowboy, maybe you could just delete my other locked post. I'm not sure why I created a new topic(being very tired probably a factor). Sorry.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

There is a survey on http://www.theomahachannel.com that ask if Omaha should build a light rail system. The current vote is in support w/ 65% and 35% opposition out of about 1000 votes. Everyone vote just for fun.