I-80 expansion between Omaha/Lincoln

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

adam186
Planning Board

I-80 expansion between Omaha/Lincoln

Post by adam186 »

I searched all the 7 pages when I did a search and couldn't find anything so I started a new thread. I drive this stretch of Interstate all the time and the progress is cool to watch.

Concern for pallid sturgeon stalls I-80 bridge work
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=2158495

A new Platte River bridge is being built as part of the state's widening of I-80 to six lanes between Omaha and Lincoln.

The bridge construction is part of work on a four-mile section of I-80. Work on the section from about two miles east of the river to the Mahoney State Park interchange started in August and is scheduled for completion in 2009.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

wow that looks like it will be a mile wide :shock:
o and i like your dislamer :wink:
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

At least there is two other bridges hawkins can build while they are waiting to get back to work. The one just east of the river over the creek and the one just west of the river over the Railroad Right-of-way.

Not to mention the west dodge expressway and the 480/north freeway interchange.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeah, six lanes between Omaha and Lincoln is just gluttony.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm not sure I've ever seen more cranes in one location (the man made variety that is) than this.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I know it, it's also amazing how the got some of the cranes in between the two bridges. Sometimes they would get so close to the bridge you felt like it was going to hit you. :shock: Always something look forward to on my frequent trips back and fourth. :D
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hah, all this time when I'd drive by that bridge under construction I always strained to see the girders, etc on the upstream side but until I saw that arial (sp) shot I had no idea they had the piers in between the existing bridges. Very cool!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I-80 bridge project on schedule

Widening an Interstate is a big job, and the task gets even tougher when the road passes over a river. That's what crews are tackling on I-80. A major bridge project is under way to construct new eastbound and westbound spans over the Platte River, halfway between Omaha and Lincoln. The $7.4 million project started in October is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2008.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2200892
15-17, 26, 32
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

WOW, only 6 more years and this headache will be done. Does anyone know where the six lanes will end in Lincoln (what exit)?
Go west young man.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hopefully at least to the airport.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'm fairly sure the long long term plan is Grand Island. Kind of hard to believe but by the time they hit lincoln I will be as old as Jeff and Grand Island may be called a micropolitan.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They aren't going to put 6 lanes to Grand Island.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Oh come on, don't make me dig it up please.
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

If I remember correctly, this overall phase of the interstate widening will go as far west as NW 48th in Lincoln or the 80/77interchange. I'm backing up Jake on the Grand Island point. That's the eventual goal, all the way to GI.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What a waste. I know you can get stuck behind people out there easily but if the slow people would just get out of the way, like every other state I've driven in, you wouldn't need another lane.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Drive Right, Pass Left!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

On the autobon in germany, its a huge ticket if you pass on the wrong side as well as driving in the passing lane. I sure wish they had that law here.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

It would be nice if they allowed you to drive as fast as you can as well. Until then, I will keep passing on the right if a car is going slow.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well speaking of other countries we should be lucky i this country people know what lanes are. When I was in europe people drove absolute idiots like there was no line at all. It created a lot of chaos IMO and made it a lot more of a fend for yourself environment. Kind of like D'Shawn drives here.
15-17, 26, 32
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Brad wrote:Drive Right, Pass Left!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

On the autobon in germany, its a huge ticket if you pass on the wrong side as well as driving in the passing lane. I sure wish they had that law here.
Bah, Illinois has it and i've never been anywhere where people are worse about it. I don't get the feeling it's overly well enforced.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Widening of I-80 from I-180 to N. 56th St. to Begin in 2007
The recently unveiled 2007 Surface Transportation Program from the Nebraska Department of Roads includes $15 million for the first year of what is likely to be a three-year project between I-180 and the 56th Street interchange.
Roads official Terry Gibson said 40 percent of the overall project is either done or under contract right now at a cost of about $157.6 million.
It is great to see that the widening project is being worked on from both ends.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

I am surprised that they did not start this sooner. We could be done with this by now.
Go west young man.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Well, Arbor Road bridge, along with construction of others probably had something to do with the timeline. Of course there's that elephant we all know as "Budget"...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pace of road work may slow
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Nebraska Roads Department is looking at putting expressway projects on hold and slowing progress on widening Interstate 80 to six lanes, a panel of lawmakers was told Wednesday. State Roads Director John Craig said Roads Department projections show a growing gap between department revenue and the state's road-building plan. For the next two decades, the gap is estimated at an annual average of $285 million. The department already has postponed 19 projects that were in line for funding during the current fiscal year.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Just throw a temporary toll way up for now.  Specially during football season.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Completion of I-80's western leg is pushed to 2037
Lincoln to Minden

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2299597

Omaha World Herold Graphic:
Completion of the section between Lincoln and the Minden interchange tentatively had been scheduled for 2030, but has been pushed back to 2037 based on current funding projections, said Terry Gibson, the engineer in charge of Interstate design and planning for the Department of Roads. The Minden interchange is 10 miles east of Kearney.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

They're widening it to Grand Island? For what?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha.  Hopefully by 2037 the Nebraska Department of TRANSPORTATION will have come to their collective senses.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska state senator recommends studying I-80 tolls
SCJournal wrote:A Wyoming state senator has suggested making I-80 a toll road through his state to help pay for maintenance and road construction, and now retiring Nebraska state Sen. Tom Baker of Trenton says the Cornhusker state should also consider the idea.

It would be interesting to put together a committee with people from Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, and Wyoming, said Baker, chairman of the Nebraska Legislature's Transportation and Telecommunications Committee. I-80 tolls would generate some revenue, primarily from folks who are passing through, said Baker, who leaves office in January.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Not saying I am for or against this but it just seams to be inevitable.
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah except there is a Federal law prohibiting turning existing interstate highway into a toll road.

javascriptplayVideo('1127774', 'Toll Proposal is Unlikely for I-80', 'v', 'News', '131367', 'Homepage', 'fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=', '');

Oops that looks like it's not going to work. Check out http://www.wowt.com to see the video.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

A toll would really make traveling on I-80 past Lincoln just that much more AWESOME!!!!  People will really enjoy traveling through our state.   :;):
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

A tollway would suck. Everyone I've ever been on sucked. I don't see it happening because no one in Nebraska would want to pay to drive on the road.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DTO Luv wrote:Everyone I've ever been on sucked.
NICE!!!  :;):
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Just name it after the husker's and this state would pay up the butt to drive on it.
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

but you would need to dye the concrete RED    :shock:
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That would make for a heck of a tourist attraction.
15-17, 26, 32
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

In the Fayetteville, Arkansas area they have Hog Highway complete with the Razorback cartoon image displayed on the girders as you drive underneath. Alas, it is not a toll road though.

Nebraska is not the only place with overzealous fans. Far from it. \
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am absolutely opposed to a toll way through Nebraska.  It doesn't make sense to pay for something 23 and 4 times, Wheel tax, sales tax, gas tax, and now a toll.  

Putting a toll on the interstate would push more people to the highways causing a more dangerous situation.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

In case some of you missed it, there IS NOT going to be a toll placed on I-80 anytime soon, federal law prohibits tolls from being placed on it. See the above link to the WOW story.