CB: Lane addition at I-29/80 interchange

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

CB: Lane addition at I-29/80 interchange

Post by eomaha »

This is above and beyond the big expansion project.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... nd=9000046
Crews are building a third lane eastbound where Interstates 29 and 80 join in Council Bluffs. The lane is being constructed between South 24th Street and where the interchange splits to the east. Last week, crews were installing storm drainage pipes for the project.
The $5.6 million project will take until late this year or next spring, said Scott Suhr, district planner for the Iowa Department of Transportation. Lanes will not be restricted during the construction.

As part of the two-mile project, the bridges over Indian Creek and the South Expressway also will be widened.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think its to little to late beck at least they are doing something.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Just when you think you're through all that mess heading east.....look out, the Cone Zone is about to get bigger!
A resurfacing project on Interstate 80 is scheduled to start on Monday.

The project will be located between mileposts 10.8 and 21.7 in the east and westbound lanes. The project begins approximately 1.5 miles north of the I-80 and US Highway 6 interchange.
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5106&rfi=6
Last edited by icejammer on Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The area does need some TLC so that will be nice. I'm glad I never travel that way too much.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 5107&rfi=6
Southbound traffic on the South Expressway will be closed tonight from midnight through 6 a.m. so that workers can deliver and set bridge beams for the additional lane being added to eastbound Interstate 29/80.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I-80 Project on Schedule
A project to widen a section of eastbound Interstate 80 in Council Bluffs is on schedule for completion this fall. . .

The $5.6 million project is scheduled for completion by October. . .

The project is separate from a major Interstate widening that is scheduled to get under way in 2008 and tentatively set for completion in 2020. That work is estimated to cost more than $700 million and includes widening I-80 through Council Bluffs.

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

2020 OMG thats just sickening!
They at least should start on 80 between the JFK and 29 now. Im embarrassed when out of towners have to drive through there it makes us look like Lincoln or something being so narrow.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

And with little fanfare, the work (minus a few cosmetic things) is finally complete and all three lanes are open, which is pretty sweet! (for a year anyway, until they start all over and we go back to cone zone heck for 15 years....)

--William Jennings Bryan
xxtyderxx
New to the Neighborhood

Post by xxtyderxx »

I don't understand why they didn't add a 3rd lane going the otherway towards Omaha?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

My guess, beyond that eastbound congestion is worse than westbound congestion, is that the DOT wanted to alleviate eastbound congestion more than westbound to help out more in the first phase of re-construction, which will be the Nebraska portion from the JFK to the Mighty Mo River and save scarce construction dollars in this age of tight road budgets.  IMHO.

--William Jennings Bryan