Meeting to address widening of I-680

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

There was an article that I'm having trouble finding about highway expansions that have now been greenlight. 680 between I-80 and Dodge are getting an extra northbound lane, they're finally fixing I-80 and L Street, Highway 133 is going four lane to Blair, and Highway 30 is going four lane between Fremont and Columbus. I'll have to see if I can find that article....
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Wha? I thought they already fixed I-80 & L St?
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

riceweb wrote:they're finally fixing I-80 and L Street, ... and Highway 30 is going four lane between Fremont and Columbus.
I haven't heard about those projects. I'm curious what more they're going to do to L St/I-80. As for Hwy 30, that would be nice to extend the end of the freeway in Fremont to Columbus. I just hope they make it a freeway.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Found an article on Highway 30 (apparently this is on hold while they figure out what to do with wetlands)

http://columbustelegram.com/news/local/ ... d9368.html

And.... I found the original article I was referring to!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130701/N ... 19896/1016
Build Nebraska Act projects during fiscal year 2014-15

Nebraska Highway 133, Omaha to Blair

Kearney East Bypass, phases 2 and 3

U.S. Highway 77 bypass, Wahoo

Interstate 80, 126th to 96th Streets, Omaha

Westbound I-80, 24th to 60th Streets, Omaha

Northbound I-680, West Center to West Dodge Road, Omaha
An additional eastbound lane on I-80 from the 126th Street (Cabela's) interchange to 96th Street to alleviate slowdowns and stop-and-go traffic during rush hours. The 126th Street and L Street interchanges will also be modified as part of the $10 million project, to provide longer ramps for traffic merging onto and off of eastbound I-80.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Here is the information released by NDOR from their July 18th public meeting:
http://www.transportation.nebraska.gov/ ... andout.pdf
LOCATION: This proposed project is located within the City of Omaha in Douglas County and
consists of expanding the existing I-680 northbound (NB) lanes, by constructing one to two additional
lanes north of Center Street through the Pacific Street Interchange.

PURPOSE AND NEED: The purpose of this project is to preserve the I-680 transportation asset,
improve the reliability of the transportation system by reducing congestion, and perpetuate the
mobility of the traveling public. The need for this project is based on projected traffic count
information.

SCOPE OF WORK: This proposed I-680 project would eliminate the existing right lane drop just
north of the West Center Road and extend this fourth (4th) lane under Pacific Street Bridge until
connecting to the fourth lane currently added by the northbound on ramp from Pacific Street. This
on-ramp from Pacific Street would be rebuilt and extended across the Big Papio Creek Bridge before
merging into the fourth NB I-680 lane. This on-ramp to northbound I-680 from West Center Road
would be reconstructed to connect to I-680 as an auxiliary (5th) lane that must exit at Pacific Street
maintaining a two-lane exit.
A great video fully explaining the changes (the I-680 part goes until 3:17):
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

guitarguy wrote:Wow a lot of hate about the roads tonight.. I can't wait to move back to Omaha and have no traffic. I've sat in 30+ miles of dead stopped traffic more times than I ever wanted to in my life living here in NYC.  :evil:
Yeah, after 13 years in Chicago, I *crave* what Omaha calls a "traffic jam".
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I miss about New York city and Chicago their public transit systems.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

MTO wrote:I miss about New York city and Chicago their public transit systems.
Yes they are nice but in NYC it is a lot more expensive to ride the trains than it is to drive a couple years ago they did away with the one day unlimited subway pass. For the Long Island Railroad every year they increase fares 10-15% and don't care about how it effects the people who use them. So its due to this that the traffic is in fact getting much worse out here. People can't afford to ride the trains anymore since its become a tool of greed for the city.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

What's your take on the LIRR disability scandal going on in your neck of the woods?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Honestly, its way more than people pretending to be disabled getting free rides on the train. With total corruption within the MTA most of the conductors who go around the train clipping your tickets really don't care about the rules.. keeping in mind these same conductors who just walk the train clipping tickets make over $100k year. Many people just hop on the train and jump in the bathrooms to avoid the conductors making them pay for one on the train. A few times during the 'Peak' time of rush hour I have bought a Peak ticket to only be asked by the conductor why I bought a Peak ticket... a difference of $10. I know a lot of people will leave a used ticket slightly sticking out of a book and go to sleep and since the trains are usually packed to the gills most conductors will just walk past the people who never paid. So its way more than what you might hear on the news of people scamming the railroad out of money.. perhaps so the railroad has something to point its finger at to show the reason why they are losing so much money ( its really the Union Pensions they have no idea how to cover as to why the prices are getting outrageous.. but also a complete lack of accountability from the conductors ).
Brad
City Council

Northbound I680 widening?

Post by Brad »

Northbound I680 widening? When was this announced?

Interstate entrance ramp to be closed through late April

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/int ... index.html
www.ketv.com wrote:
Nebraska Department of Roads officials said the Pacific Street entrance ramp to northbound I-680 will be closed starting Monday.

The closure is necessary to facilitate northbound I-680 bridge widening at the Papio Creek, officials said.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Northbound I680 widening?

Post by Coyote »

Wasn't that announced three months ago, an extra lane going into the Pacific St ramp...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This will really help with rush hour traffic.. honestly Pacific st backing up might be the main reason for the congestion on the interstate.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I posted something about it back in July. http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 38#p203938
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I posted something about it back in July. http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 38#p203938
Ok, got it merged. I don't usually forget about threads, its the part of my memory that actually works, but some how I forgot about this one!

Anyways, the barricades are sitting there now ready to go.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680

Post by Coyote »

Just noticed that they are now working on NB 680 south of Pacific. Couldn't exactly see what they were up to, but lots of cones and cement barriers..
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Just noticed that they are now working on NB 680 south of Pacific. Couldn't exactly see what they were up to, but lots of cones and cement barriers..
They have been widening the bridge for couple weeks. They closed off the North Bound entrance ram at pacific street to do it. They have already drove in the steel pilings on at least one side of the creek.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Just noticed that they are now working on NB 680 south of Pacific. Couldn't exactly see what they were up to, but lots of cones and cement barriers..
They have been widening the bridge for couple weeks.  They closed off the North Bound entrance ram at pacific street to do it.  They have already drove in the steel pilings on at least one side of the creek.
yes, I know that...

I mentioned they are on the south side of pacific now...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was thinking you meant south side of I680.

I think that is for a new overhead sign. Not positive, but fairly certain.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Never mind... I normally drive by this every day but had not been by since Thursday. It's changed a lot since then! For the past couple weeks I just assumed it was the sign. Now it looks like new lame construction.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

A new lane should either really help with the people trying to head towards Dodge or create an extra lane for people to cut across causing a bottle neck. Hopefull the first.. :banana:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, it looks like they have started a left side lane to go under the Pacific St Bridge.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I drove by there today and it looks like they are also moving the Pacific off ramps further north so there's more distance between the Center on ramp and the Pacific exit. I wonder if they'll bring the Center on ramp further south too.

Also, I wish they would do something with the Center CD road so they can finally remove those orange barrels that have been there for years. My thought is they need to remove some of the pavement to create a lane drop. But I doubt they will since there is no need to do so for this project.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Also, I wish they would do something with the Center CD road so they can finally remove those orange barrels that have been there for years. My thought is they need to remove some of the pavement to create a lane drop. But I doubt they will since there is no need to do so for this project.
What sucks about that is, they said they were going to open it if there were wrecks or bad backups in the normal lanes, but they never do. There have been many mornings where it could have been and needed to be open...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like a temporary exit ramp so they can shift the existing ramp east.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Interesting to see them completely reconfigure the on ramp. I figured they would just move the end if it east like they are doing on the off ramp.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They started using the temporary exit ramp today. Drivers were not use to it and it really backed up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:They started using the temporary exit ramp today.  Drivers were not use to it and it really backed up.
Only three lanes operating here, and the far left turns into an exit only lane, which is the entry lane from Center St.

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Aaaaand this is why I'm taking 114th to work!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This is going to be a huge traffic jam for a while! If you guys want to know what big city traffic this is it! Friday night 680 was a parking lot.. :evil:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I-680 Traffic Shift Begins Saturday October 11
WOWT wrote:The Nebraska Department of Roads has planned an I-680 traffic shift on Saturday October 11, 2014.

Northbound traffic between Pacific Street and West Dodge Road will shift to the outside lanes of i-680 as bridge work continues at the Papio Creek.

Currently, the traffic flow is on the inside lanes of I-680.

The upcoming traffic shift will continue into November 2014.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

:grr: Rahh Rabble Rabble Rabble :evil: Over/Under Car Accidents in the next month 10?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

guitarguy wrote::grr: Rahh Rabble Rabble Rabble  :evil: Over/Under Car Accidents in the next month 10?
I'll go with over.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The I-680 off ramps from (northbound) West Center to Pacific, even the I-80 interchange, are finished, but I still saw traffic jams at 4:30 this week, I don't know if it is just that the lane shifts slow people way down... On ramp from Pacific was starting the pouring stages last week, so it looks like it may be done soon. What they are doing at the West Center bridge is yet to be seen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:The I-680 off ramps from (northbound) West Center to Pacific, even the I-80 interchange, are finished, but I still saw traffic jams at 4:30 this week, I don't know if it is just that the lane shifts slow people way down... On ramp from Pacific was starting the pouring stages last week, so it looks like it may be done soon. What they are doing at the West Center bridge is yet to be seen.
Pacific Street entrance ramp has been poured for a couple weeks, they just have a few pieces to pour up on top by pacific.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lane shifts on NB I-680 after Pacific St are gone this morning.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:Lane shifts on NB I-680 after Pacific St are gone this morning.
So 680 is completed?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Coyote wrote:Lane shifts on NB I-680 after Pacific St are gone this morning.
So 680 is completed?
No. The on ramp from Pacific still us in process, and that funky stretch of off ramp for West Zcenter is still being worked on, but those shouldn't affect the flow of traffic much... (Not to mention the I-80 stretch from Giles/126th St. to the I-680 interchange...)