Meeting to address widening of I-680

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought they we going to say from Fort Street to Blair High Road or Even all the way to 72ns Street, but no, southbound I80 from Pacific to Center.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... nd=4399507
The state plans to add another lane on southbound I-680 between Pacific Street and West Center Road.

There are now three southbound lanes plus a lane for merging traffic. The construction will add a fourth lane.

I-680 will remain open during the work. But the project may require the temporary closure of the ramp from Pacific to southbound I-680.

The $1.8 million project should be completed by the end of the year, said Brian Johnson, an engineer with the Nebraska Department of Roads.

The extra lane on I-680 is needed to handle additional traffic, he said.

The state forecasts that when the West Dodge Expressway opens, there will be more traffic funneling to southbound I-680, Johnson said. The expressway is scheduled to open later this year.
By early fall 2007, the state is scheduled to begin replacing the Pacific Street bridge over I-680. A completion date for the $7 million project has not been set, Johnson said.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I had no idea they would do this project. I suppose its a good thing and its even a better thing that the NDoR knows what foresight is.
15-17, 26, 32
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

so they added a SB lane, how about  a NB lane?

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Don't expect any thing logical to come out of NDoR
15-17, 26, 32
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Extending the collector-distributor roadway to Pacific Street (which would, in effect, add lanes) might be a better idea whenever they get around to redoing the Pacific Street interchange.  It would get rid of a lot of weaving and merging.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omaja wrote:Extending the collector-distributor roadway to Pacific Street (which would, in effect, add lanes) might be a better idea whenever they get around to redoing the Pacific Street interchange.  It would get rid of a lot of weaving and merging.
I think that is a 2008 project.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

i still want to see light rail and all that jazz, but i think one extra lane NB from the 680/80 interchange to dodge would be doable.
RoadWarrior
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RoadWarrior »

How about changing the signage so that Pacific-bound traffic off of westbound I-80 is directed to use the current Center St exit, then expand that exit roadway with an extra lane all the way to Pacific?  That would eliminate some of the merging, plus add that extra right lane between Center and Pacific.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Go read the last 5 posts or so.
RoadWarrior
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RoadWarrior »

the1wags wrote:Go read the last 5 posts or so.
If a "collector-distributor roadway" is the same thing as the exit ramp/roadway for Center Street, then let's rock on and get it done... 2008 or sooner...
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Brad wrote:
omaja wrote:Extending the collector-distributor roadway to Pacific Street (which would, in effect, add lanes) might be a better idea whenever they get around to redoing the Pacific Street interchange.  It would get rid of a lot of weaving and merging.
I think that is a 2008 project.
Just the interchange/bridge, or that and the collector-distributor extension?  I wouldn't have expected NDOR to be on the ball about easing congestion along there, but I guess I didn't expect them to widen I-680 south to Center either.  I still don't understand why they didn't just widen it all the way to where I-680 splits to I-80 east and west.  It is stupid for the right lane to end when the two right lanes could just become exit-only lanes to I-80 west.

But now that I think about it, wasn't there something planned to make Pacific into a SPUI like 144th/et al along Dodge?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No I think its going to be like a lot of the other intersection in Omaha, 2 loops like 42, 60, 72, 84, and Maple

They widened I680 south to center this spring, the right lane doesn't end anymore.  but the lanes don't follow the expansion joints, which annoys the |expletive| out of me!
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

I guess I wasn't very clear the first time. ;)  So here's a drawing of what I mean:

The fourth lane ends about 1000 feet after the exit to Center.

Oh, and I'm puzzled as to why they left I-680 on the shoulder under the Pacific bridge, too.  I guess it must have something to do with the pending bridgework?

It'll be interesting to see them fit an interchange like Maple and all of the I-80 interchanges in that little plot of land, that's for sure!  It seems like it would be perfect for a SPUI.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

They ended the lane there because of the bridge going over Center. The lane ends right before the bridge. It takes a lot of money to widen a bridge and they're being cheep right now. That's why when they added that fourth lane through Pacific, they only shifted the lines closer to the median instead of widening the road to get the space for the lane and is why the lanes don't follow the expansion joints.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Yes, it was clearly a cost-cutting measure.  But it was so short-sighted that I am still amazed.  Then again, the Pacific Street on-ramp to I-680 south should have just connected to the collector-distributor lanes to Center, because the C&D lanes connect to both I-80 east and west.  That would have eliminated the need to widen the bridge over Center because the three lanes to I-80 would work much better without the merging and weaving of cars entering from Pacific and exiting to Center.

The lane shift still doesn't make sense to me, because the lanes shift back off the shoulder and onto their original alignments after crossing under the Pacific overpass.  They did pave the extra lane and shoulder after the overpass, and (I haven't driven that direction in awhile, so my memory is a little shaky) I recall that the shoulder was wide enough for the extra lane because the shoulder at the overpass was double what it usually is.  Although if revamping the Pacific interchange is coming, they might have just decided it better to leave the lanes in their current state.

Here I am, trying to make sense of NDOR... :roll: like that will ever happen. :lol:
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

if you look @ projects @ NDOR's site - they don't plan on adding another lane northbound 680 between 80 and pacific until after 2011-2014 sometime - i believe 2014....which is dumb b/c this is needed like how many years ago - just try driving on this around rush hour....ITS A PARKING LOT!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Work has begun on the Pacific Street Bridge over 680.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

OK, that explains the construction zone signs on W Center Rd that I started that other thread about, thank God they're not tearing that up. I drive that section I-680 all the time and those lane shifts @ Pacific St that have been there ever since they scabbed in the 3rd lane a few years ago drive me nuts.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

If they don't, I wish they would eliminate the section of that c-d road that's highlighted in yellow.

It serves no purpose whatsoever, but yet people using the c-d road as a bypass blow through there at 60+ mph, making merging onto the c-d road from the W Center Rd on ramp difficult at times.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bugeater wrote:
If they don't, I wish they would eliminate the section of that c-d road that's highlighted in yellow.

It serves no purpose whatsoever, but yet people using the c-d road as a bypass blow through there at 60+ mph, making merging onto the c-d road from the W Center Rd on ramp difficult at times.
I always thought it a was for people that entered at "I" street and wanted to head north on 680, but I looked on Google Earth and it is not completely necessary, however I thought of 3 good reasons for keeping it and like the idea of extending the collector distributor better.

I would keep it because it does technically add lanes which are very much needed during rush hour.  Two if there is a wreck in the interchange its good for detouring people without completely closing the interchange.  Three, the "Commitment Cone" aka place where they make you get off for center is so far back and on I80, it helps people who make a mistake keep traveling north without exiting and re-entering.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:
Bugeater wrote:

I always thought it a was for people that entered at "I" street and wanted to head north on 680, but I looked on Google Earth and it is not completely necessary, however I thought of 3 good reasons for keeping it and like the idea of extending the collector distributor better.

I would keep it because it does technically add lanes which are very much needed during rush hour.  Two if there is a wreck in the interchange its good for detouring people without completely closing the interchange.  Three, the "Commitment Cone" aka place where they make you get off for center is so far back and on I80, it helps people who make a mistake keep traveling north without exiting and re-entering.
Those are all fair points, and I wouldn't have a problem with it if people would obey the 50 mph speed limit through there (or if the police would actually enforce it), but we all know how that goes. If they do extend the collector road hopefully they'll at least add a merge lane for the W Center on ramp, if not another lane entirely.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bugeater wrote:Those are all fair points, and I wouldn't have a problem with it if people would obey the 50 mph speed limit through there (or if the police would actually enforce it), but we all know how that goes. If they do extend the collector road hopefully they'll at least add a merge lane for the W Center on ramp, if not another lane entirely.
That is true. If they pass the commitment cone going faster that 50 they should be penalized one lap!
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Bugeater wrote:Those are all fair points, and I wouldn't have a problem with it if people would obey the 50 mph speed limit through there (or if the police would actually enforce it), but we all know how that goes. If they do extend the collector road hopefully they'll at least add a merge lane for the W Center on ramp, if not another lane entirely.
That is true. If they pass the commitment cone going faster that 50 they should be penalized one lap!
I'd be satisfied with a stop 'n' go penalty.  :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pacific Street bridge over I-680 to be replaced

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10291031
The Pacific Street bridge over Interstate 680 will be closed for three months later this year as crews replace the bridge.

Preliminary work began on the project last week. The bridge will be closed from May 23 to Aug. 25 as crews dismantle it and put up the new bridge.
The new bridge will still have two lanes in each direction. One added feature will be a bike lane on the north side.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Wow, they're going to shut the bridge down completely.
No detours will be posted for east-west travel, but drivers are encouraged to use West Dodge and West Center Roads, Burns said.
Gah! That's going to make the area around W Center Rd interchange even a bigger mess during rush hour. At least they'll get it done faster that way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bugeater wrote:Wow, they're going to shut the bridge down completely.

Gah! That's going to make the area around W Center Rd interchange even a bigger mess during rush hour. At least they'll get it done faster that way.
It might even make things better because the people entering at Center will not have to worry about the people trying to get off on Pacific.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:
Bugeater wrote:Wow, they're going to shut the bridge down completely.

It might even make things better because the people entering at Center will not have to worry about the people trying to get off on Pacific.
Heh, that's true. My biggest concern is WB traffic on W Center between 114th and the 680 off ramps, as it is now it gets backed up to the point where the backup sometimes blocks the intersection for the SB 680 off ramp. It's even worse for us because we have to work our way across both lanes of traffic to make the left turn on 114th into our neighborhood. I suppose that's the price we pay for the convenience of living that close to the interstate.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, that's crazy that they're completely shutting the bridge down to replace it!  They'll get it done fast, though.  Three months.  Shows you how fast a road project can get done when you don't have to worry about accommodating traffic during the process.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

drove past it today and they have a crane up and look like they are ready to go...thank god because they have needed to replace the surface of that bridge for forever along with most of pacific street its got terrible cracks all over lol

adam
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guitarguy wrote:drove past it today and they have a crane up and look like they are ready to go...thank god because they have needed to replace the surface of that bridge for forever along with most of pacific street its got terrible cracks all over lol

adam
They have already drove some of the pilings.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Wow, that's crazy that they're completely shutting the bridge down to replace it!  They'll get it done fast, though.  Three months.  Shows you how fast a road project can get done when you don't have to worry about accommodating traffic during the process.
I would have to assume it would reduce costs tremendously as well. I think they need to start doing that more often, there's not too many instances where they're going to cut someone completely off from the world by doing so.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bridge closes at Midnight:

Pacific Street Bridge To Close Through August
KETV wrote:Friday evening's rush hour was the last one until August on Pacific Street over Interstate 680. Crews will close bridge for 94 days to build a new one. If they were to leave Pacific open during construction, it could take years instead of three months.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

All 4 lanes north bound now have to exit the interstate and reenter it over Pacific. You can imagine how far the interstate is being backed up. However they have taken a good chunk of that bridge out so far today.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh my gosh!  That's outRAGEous!!!  I'm sure it was REALLY gridlocked.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cars coming from I-80 La Vista could see the back up coming over the bridge but those whipping around from I-80 Omaha and in the left two lanes just crushed everything.

On the east side of the bridge they already have the concrete removed and 2/3 of the steel beams are gone. I would think that they could have 2 north bound lanes open by Monday morning rush hour while they continue to break up the retaining wall. Then do the same thing on the west side next weekend.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Since this is a full bridge replacement, I wonder if any of the OmahaByDesign aesthetic guidelines will be recognized.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Since this is a full bridge replacement, I wonder if any of the OmahaByDesign aesthetic guidelines will be recognized.
I really hope so.
All three lanes were open this morning - the east side is completely down. Amazing how quick the got that done.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Since this is a full bridge replacement, I wonder if any of the OmahaByDesign aesthetic guidelines will be recognized.
I Have noticed that they are doing it a bit differently than previous bridges.  I think its going to have more design stamped in to the concrete than other bridges.

Also, The State Patrol LOVES this construction zone.  Watch your speed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Also, The State Patrol LOVES this construction zone.  Watch your speed.
No doubt. This afternoon I saw two cruisers parked on the Pacific entrance ramp on Southbound 1-680.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is one thing that I never understand about road construction in Omaha.... Last week they completely close Pacific Street over I680 and tell everyone to take CENTER STREET or Dodge street....  This week they |expletive| CLOSE CENTER STREET AT 120th down to 1 lane for a week for resurfacing! :hammer:

Unbelieveable!