Gates to be added to Interstate Ramps.

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ladyred
Home Owners Association

Gates to be added to Interstate Ramps.

Post by ladyred »

I searched and did not see this topic listed anywhere. Feel free to move or delete if this topic has already been started.

Yesterday in OWH there was an article about adding gates to on ramps on I 80 that would be closed during rush hour traffic hours. One of them is to be at 42nd street east bound I80 and the other will be from F street onto southbound Kennedy Freeway.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2204143
Automated gates will be installed to restrict I-80 access

In Omaha, as part of a pilot program, the state will install automated gates next year at entrance ramps from northbound 42nd Street onto eastbound I-80 and from F Street onto the southbound Kennedy Freeway.

Those gates will close automatically on weekdays during rush hour - from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. - to ease congestion on I-80 and the Kennedy.
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

From today's paper, the reaction:

Commuters criticize 42nd Street ramp plan
Drivers raised concerns Tuesday about a plan to shut down a ramp from 42nd Street to Interstate 80 during rush hour.
Terry Gibson of the Department of Roads said the state realizes that closing the ramps will be inconvenient.

But he said the closures during rush hours are needed to improve traffic flow.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

People around here have no concept of what traffic is. It's really quite comical.

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah this is pure BS the only reason for them is because the NDoR id decades behind on capacity.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

MTO wrote:Yeah this is pure BS the only reason for them is because the NDoR id decades behind on capacity.
Yeah, that and the complete lack of attention to public transit...
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The televisiopn story I saw made it sound like the gates are something major cities have done for years.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For limiting access in inclement weather, or for shutting down expressways or diamond lanes during non-peak hours, yes. When you have too much traffic (which we don't), you don't start shutting down roads.

Think if there were two lanes that were in the middle of I-80 from the 680 to 480 interchanges. These would only be used eastbound in the AM and westbound in the PM. For example, the gates would come down at 9 AM to stop eastbound traffic from entering, and they would come back up at 3:30 PM to allow westbound traffic to enter, similar in concept to the "suicide lanes" on Dodge. During non-peak hours, they wouldn't be used at all. They could also be used for fireworks traffic, etc...

Now, metered on-ramps are used all over the place. Those bite the big one.

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Big e is correct in deciphering them.
So this is not exactly a big city thing.
No matter how you slice-dice soften it up or what the heck ever. The pure fact remains the highway is insufficient and NDoR has fallen way behind on its upgrades. And preparing for its future.
I love that guy in w.O. saying how convenient it will be. HA! for him, heck yes it'll be nice for the suburbanites with complete regards for others who live near by.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Alongside the capacity issue, the even bigger problem is the NDoR should not have had ramps so close to 42nd Street. It would have been a heck of a lot of money, but they should have moved the 480/JFK mess about 1/4-mile east. Or shut 42nd Street off completely. Or revamped 42nd to more limited access, like they did to 24th Street.

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Just tack that onto the already massive |expletive| up list for the road guys.
15-17, 26, 32
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

I'm primarily working from home now but that is my quickest way to work. They should use the same performance insentives used on 120th and Dodge to build a second (no, lets go for third) lane from EB 80 to the Kennedy. I just came back from Minneapolis and saw the big traffic headaches the ramp stoplights cause. The ramp backs up to the main street and the light forces entering vehicles to floor it (waste gas) to safely merge and it still forces slowdowns to avoid accidents :roll: .
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Big E wrote:People around here have no concept of what traffic is. It's really quite comical.

-Big E
Agreed, although traffic is heavier now then when I moved away.

NDoR seems almost criminally negligent. We should write letters into the public pulse and to our state legislators.

Seriously, someone (or a bunch of people) at NDoR needs to be fired.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They'll just blame it on financing short falls.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You guys absoutely kill me with your negetivity some days. The interchange is only 10 years, it has won all kinds of awards. Everything on it works perfect all but 1 lane for 30 min a day. They did a great job in designing it and once they add a second lane to the ramp to south JFK everything will be fine again.

Instead of bitching all day about the NDoR howw about spreading it around.

1. More residents of NW Omaha should take the North Freeway to the Sorensen Parkway out to Blair High Road.

2. The City council should get busy building a bridge north of the airport to connect to 680 lime Jim S. proposed

3. People of Omaha don't know what traffic is. If traffic backs up on that ramp all the way to 42nd street it still dosn't take more than 5 min to get though it.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:Everything on it works perfect all but 1 lane for 30 min a day.
I agree with your points 1-3 Brad, but there is more than 1 lane that has problems. Westbound I-80 traffic that wants to exit at 42nd is pretty much a suicide 3 or 4 lane switchover in about a quarter mile due to traffic coming off 480 and the JFK that is trying to get over to I-80 thru lanes westbound. 42nd is just too close to this large interchange.

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:
Brad wrote:Everything on it works perfect all but 1 lane for 30 min a day.
I agree with your points 1-3 Brad, but there is more than 1 lane that has problems. Westbound I-80 traffic that wants to exit at 42nd is pretty much a suicide 3 or 4 lane switchover in about a quarter mile due to traffic coming off 480 and the JFK that is trying to get over to I-80 thru lanes westbound. 42nd is just too close to this large interchange.
Is that all day, or just rush hour?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:Is that all day, or just rush hour?
It's more than rush hour traffic, I can tell you that from personal experience. :evil:

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well yes I suppose the complex is somewhat adequate. I guess I'm more or less bitching about JFK and 80east. But then is all tied together. So I guess in the end yes the complex is inadequate.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Well yes I suppose the complex is somewhat adequate. I guess I'm more or less bitching about JFK and 80east. But then is all tied together. So I guess in the end yes the complex is inadequate.
I am not going to argue wheither the "cookie stand" is part of the food court or its a stand alone facility for mid mall snacking....

but if you want to look at it your way I see what you are saying, however I would blame the 80 east problem on the Missouri River bridge not lump it in with the interchange.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well yeah I could agree that those are two separate issues but we all know that everything the NDoR does has something wrong with it.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Well yeah I could agree that those are two separate issues but we all know that everything the NDoR does has something wrong with it.
I absoulte do not want to be lumped in with "We All" I think they do great now.... May be a decade ago they got behind but they can't catch up overnight. Look at the west dodge expressway... i80 Omaha to Lincoln, 270 Omaha to Fermont.

You also have to remember that nebraska is a fairly large state with a small population. We are lucky to have what we have in Omaha because there is a whole state out there that needs roads also.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:We are lucky to have what we have in Omaha because there is a whole state out there that needs roads also.
No there isn't. I've been out there. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:You also have to remember that nebraska is a fairly large state with a small population. We are lucky to have what we have in Omaha because there is a whole state out there that needs roads also.
If you knew how old some of the road surfaces outstate are compared to the Omaha area, you'd understand why there's resentment towards Omaha, on that issue alone.

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Now that I've read this I'm totally against putting gates up at the Interstate. If anyone thinks that I urge you to go to Chicago and sit on I-55 from Joliet to Downtown. The few times I used it I was on for 2.5 hours and saw the sun set and moon rise entirely. The distance is about from DT Lincoln to DTO. Can you imagine that trip taking close to 3 hours? No. Omaha doesn't have bad traffic. It can be heavy but not enough to warrant closing on an on ramp because it causes a 3 minute delay.

I'm lucky enough to not have to use the interstate anymore. I would be affected by these gates because I use 42nd St. to get to my bank.

Also it wouldn't kill some people to learn how to drive.

-Don't stop and let traffic by when you're on an on-ramp. MERGE!!!

-If you are coming onto 80 West from 480 and don't need to get off on 42nd St. then don't be in the right lanes. Get over to the left lanes.

-If you're on 80 West from CB and need to get off on 42nd St. think if you need to go north or south. If you go north then go ahead and get off on 42nd. If not than go south on Kennedy and get off on one of the lettered streets.

Or if it's really that bad just move to my side of town and never have to worry about commutes or traffic. :)
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:-If you are coming onto 80 West from 480 and don't need to get off on 42nd St. then don't be in the right lanes. Get over to the left lanes.
Problem is, you're in direct battle with the folks coming from CB/JFK to get off at 42nd. Two fast lanes from the right that need to get left and two faster lanes from the left that need to get right. It's crazy. I go this way everyday and I'm amazed I haven't seen any Hollywood car crashes here.

They may need to eventually limit access to 42nd from WB 80.

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah the WB 80 to 42nd exit at rush hour is a bit dicey. Especially in my old work van with no back side window. :shock: Signal, check side mirror, pray and swerve. :? I'm with Big E, the 42nd st offramp from 80 may also need shut down during peak hours in the future.

It would also help if people learned how to drive though, I see 3 people a day turning left across Dodge, even with the no left turn signs EVERY HALF BLOCK. I just wanna slap the |expletive| outta them. :evil:
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

DTO Luv wrote:Now that I've read this I'm totally against putting gates up at the Interstate. If anyone thinks that I urge you to go to Chicago and sit on I-55 from Joliet to Downtown.
No kidding on that. I've never driven it (only 18 ;)) but when my family goes on vacation that way we go up to Michigan and if you get caught in that area at the wrong time... you're in trouble. And also there was a ton of construction last time we went through. Just terrible for traffic, but glad they are working on it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Unlike Chicago we have the room to expand. So truly there is no need to install these. I was against these about a year ago when the news was first broken. I'm honestly shocked that many on here aren't bitching about this contributing to suburban sprawl. I guess that most not be the trend for many of you like it was some time ago Blaming stuff like for exactly why we don't have a light-rail.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

the1wags wrote:It would also help if people learned how to drive though, I see 3 people a day turning left across Dodge, even with the no left turn signs EVERY HALF BLOCK. I just wanna slap the |expletive| outta them. :evil:
Actually, left turns on Dodge are verbotten at intersections only, turning left in the middle of a block into a business is (supposed to be) legal.

--William Jennings Bryan
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

That is NOT correct (and why would it be? you don't think traffic is going to be backed up waiting for someone turning anywhere other than a street light?). Don't go off and lend any legitimacy to that I.D.I.O.T. label now (aka Iowa Driver In Omaha Traffic). j/k :D

If you want to turn left in one of these areas along Dodge, just make sure there's an opening to do it which won't make anyone wait behind you (unless you're not bothered by honking), and there's no law enforcement watching you.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Call me an idiot if you want, but left turns are permitted mid-block (unless prohibited by signage, which does exist in places due to limited sight lines) on Dodge Street (and I'm talking pretty much east of 50th Street), mainly because those businesses didn't want to lose business.

As to whether one is brave (or stupid) enough to attempt a left-turn mid-block, that's another story...

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

As was stated you can turn left into a business. I turn left onto roads only if I have more than enough time and space to do it.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Actually I called the police department and asked this question. YES it is legal to turn left into a business.
15-17, 26, 32
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

That is the most idiotic stipulation I have ever heard. You might just as well get rid of the no left turn signs then. Fortunately, most people are obviously unaware of this and make it a point to turn right on to a side street before coming back to a given business.

Next I'll find out that it is okay to turn into the far lane of a 2-lane street when making a turn. Everyone seems to be convinced this is proper procedure.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

loyalomahan wrote:Don't go off and lend any legitimacy to that I.D.I.O.T. label now (aka Iowa Driver In Omaha Traffic). j/k
Maybe those I.D.I.O.T.'s know more and drive better than you've been giving them credit for. :lol: :wink:

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

See Jake, its the bridge not the interchange

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Where's that confounded bridge?...

/zeppelin
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:See Jake, its the bridge not the interchange
Absolutely, the construction just past the bridge plays no role whatsoever. :wink:

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:See Jake, its the bridge not the interchange

LMFAO!!

I went back through and double checked but still couldn't find it. Where did I ever! say anything about a bridge? And further more what the heck are you talking about?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I said that the back up is closer to the Missour river bridge, not the interchange. The picture I posted shows the cars backed up EAST of the interchange heading down towards the Missouri River Bridgs.

According to Icejammer the back up starts with the I29 interchange.