SPECIAL Union Pacific Movements

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: SPECIAL Union Pacific Movements

Post by Brad »

HOME PLATE SPECIAL 2017

Union Pacific 844

MONDAY, JUNE 12
Depart 8:00 a.m. North Platte, Neb.
9:15 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. Cozad, Neb.
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. Kearney, Neb.
12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Grand Island, Neb.
2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Columbus, Neb.
Arrive 4:45 p.m. Council Bluffs, Iowa - UP Heritage Park 1100 Avenue G

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14
Depart 8:00 a.m. Council Bluffs, Iowa - 1100 Avenue G
10:15 a.m. Omaha, Neb. - Union Pacific's Home Plate - 12th Street and Cuming

FRIDAY, JUNE 16 – FRIDAY, JUNE 23
On Display: Noon – 7:00 p.m. CT

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 28
Depart 8:00 a.m. Omaha, Neb. - Union Pacific's Home Plate - 12th Street and Cuming
Arrival 10:30 a.m. Council Bluffs, Iowa - UP Heritage Park - 1100 Avenue G

FRIDAY, JUNE 30
Depart 8:00 a.m. - Council Bluffs, Iowa - Heritage Park - 1100 Avenue G
Pass-through 8:55 a.m. - Missouri Valley, Iowa - Kerlin Street, on curved leg of wye
10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Fremont, Neb.
12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. - Central City, Neb.
2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Overton, Neb.
Arrival 4:45 p.m. - North Platte, Neb.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

IS this the same one that was in Omaha for the CWS a couple of years back?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:IS this the same one that was in Omaha for the CWS a couple of years back?
Yes, currently the 844 is the only running steam locomotive on the UP roster. The 4014 is being rebuilt now, and the 3985 will be done after that. The 3985 hasn't been to Omaha in almost a decade, and that was the last time it ever ran.

UP puts out a monthly steam update, they released the new one yesterday and it shows the 4014, which is all torn apart.
https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/in ... 1-2017.htm
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:IS this the same one that was in Omaha for the CWS a couple of years back?
Yes, currently the 844 is the only running steam locomotive on the UP roster. The 4014 is being rebuilt now, and the 3985 will be done after that. The 3985 hasn't been to Omaha in almost a decade, and that was the last time it ever ran.

UP puts out a monthly steam update, they released the new one yesterday and it shows the 4014, which is all torn apart.
https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/in ... 1-2017.htm
Thanks Figured you would know!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I got an email from a guy who knows a lot of the UP Museum staff and UP Steam program. He said the 844's departure out of Council Bluffs was going to be delayed a day.

Now departing Saturday, July 1, 2017
Pass-through 8:55 a.m. - Missouri Valley, Iowa - Kerlin Street, on curved leg of wye
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Brad wrote: Saturday July 1
I'll be in Fremont on Saturday morning. What exactly goes on? It just drives by and I take a selfie?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I'll be in Fremont on Saturday morning. What exactly goes on? It just drives by and I take a selfie?
Sorry, I was out of town for the past 8 days and didn't get back to you in time. Hope you were able to catch it.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Brad wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I'll be in Fremont on Saturday morning. What exactly goes on? It just drives by and I take a selfie?
Sorry, I was out of town for the past 8 days and didn't get back to you in time. Hope you were able to catch it.
Nope, didn't go.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This new Locomotive will be in Omaha on November 10th

Union Pacific Unveils Commemorative Locomotive Honoring U.S. Armed Forces

https://www.up.com/media/releases/17101 ... -of-up.htm
Union Pacific wrote: Union Pacific paid tribute to the United States armed forces by unveiling UP No. 1943 The Spirit locomotive at San Antonio's Sunset Station today. Only the 16th commemorative locomotive presented in Union Pacific's 155-year history, UP No. 1943's arrival was welcomed by a group of veterans to kick off its Salute to the Military Tour, a series of community displays across Union Pacific's network.

UP No.1943 spotlights Union Pacific's relationship with thousands of veterans who helped build America after defending the United States - a tradition dating back to the company's founding. Created in collaboration with Union Pacific veterans, the locomotive name is connected to a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress funded by war bond contributions from Union Pacific employees in 1943. The plane was christened The Spirit of the Union Pacific and assigned to the 571st Bomber Squadron. The Spirit of the Union Pacific was shot down on its fifth mission during a raid on enemy installations in Munster, Germany.

"Union Pacific is proud to honor veterans and the men and women bravely serving our country with a special locomotive representing every armed forces branch reflected in its symbolic design," said Scott Moore, senior vice president – Corporate Relations. "Beginning today, UP No. 1943 The Spirit's mission is to salute them as it leads trains carrying America's goods across our network every day."

The Spirit's front is symbolic of Air Force Silver, and the blue stripe is a reflection of the former Strategic Air Command's "nose sash." The lettering inside the sash is the original hand-drawn font used on the B-17. It is followed by the Coast Guard's "Racing Stripe" and the Navy's Battleship Gray, which frames Union Pacific's traditional American flag. The military camouflage is a nod to the Army and Marines.

As the train passes by, the final message on the tail is dedicated to U.S. prisoners of war and those missing in action, featuring the POW/MIA symbol and its motto, "You Are Not Forgotten."

More than 20 percent of Union Pacific's employees have military experience, with some actively serving in the National Guard or Reserves. The company was recognized in the Best Companies for Veterans top 10 list, compiled by monster.com and military.com, for the second year in a row last year.
Union Pacific wrote: UP Photo:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here's one I got as the train left Omaha today. It will be back in a few days and on display at the Durham later this week. More photos in the photo section.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Durham Museum wrote:Salute to the Military Tour: New Locomotive to Arrive in Omaha
Friday, November 10, 11:15AM arrival & 4:45PM departure

Pay tribute to the U.S. armed forces with Union Pacific's newly unveiled locomotive, No. 1943, The Spirit, at The Durham Museum. This is only the 16th commemorative locomotive presented in Union Pacific’s 155-year history. UP No. 1943’s Omaha stop is part of a multi-state Salute to the Military tour. It spotlights Union Pacific’s relationship with thousands of veterans who helped build America after defending the United States.

The museum will open its trackside doors for guests to view No. 1943 up close and take photos. Regular museum admission applies, free for members and veterans/their families.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
Durham Museum wrote:Salute to the Military Tour: New Locomotive to Arrive in Omaha
Friday, November 10, 11:15AM arrival & 4:45PM departure

Pay tribute to the U.S. armed forces with Union Pacific's newly unveiled locomotive, No. 1943, The Spirit, at The Durham Museum. This is only the 16th commemorative locomotive presented in Union Pacific’s 155-year history. UP No. 1943’s Omaha stop is part of a multi-state Salute to the Military tour. It spotlights Union Pacific’s relationship with thousands of veterans who helped build America after defending the United States.

The museum will open its trackside doors for guests to view No. 1943 up close and take photos. Regular museum admission applies, free for members and veterans/their families.
This is on the spur over by TDAP right now. Pretty cool.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:This is on the spur over by TDAP right now. Pretty cool.
I believe its there thru 11/19
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:This is on the spur over by TDAP right now. Pretty cool.
I believe its there thru 11/19
I must have read the article wrong, the locomotive is already gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Next stop for Big Boy No. 4014: Iowa.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... uk.twitter
Trains Magazine wrote:The UP Museum has confirmed that its fund-raising trip of July 15 from Omaha to Boone, Iowa, will be pulled by the newly restored 4-8-8-4 that returned from its inaugural run between Cheyenne, Wyo., and Ogden, Utah, on Sunday.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Union Pacific's new UP1111 Locomotive is somewhere between Council Bluffs and TD Ameritrade Park right now. Heading towards UP's Home Plate area by TD Ameritrade Park.

I believe the official unveiling of the UP1111 is today at UP's Home Plate area.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 am Union Pacific's new UP1111 Locomotive is somewhere between Council Bluffs and TD Ameritrade Park right now. Heading towards UP's Home Plate area by TD Ameritrade Park.

I believe the official unveiling of the UP1111 is today at UP's Home Plate area.
I've done a Google search for UP 1111, no hits. What's so special about this motor? :what:
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

damonhynes wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:33 am
Brad wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 am Union Pacific's new UP1111 Locomotive is somewhere between Council Bluffs and TD Ameritrade Park right now. Heading towards UP's Home Plate area by TD Ameritrade Park.

I've done a Google search for UP 1111, no hits. What's so special about this motor? :what:
They painted it for an employee appreciation thing. My wife works there and we walked through it.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Louie wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 am
damonhynes wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:33 am

They painted it for an employee appreciation thing. My wife works there and we walked through it.
Thanky!