Mismarked Highway Signs

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Mismarked Highway Signs

Post by BRoss »

I would like to point out a couple of mismarked highway signs. On I-680 many of the signs say Dodge St and Center St instead of W Dodge Rd and W Center Rd. On Dodge between 132nd and Boys Town, and at the 132nd St interchange, it is marked as Dodge St instead of W Dodge Rd. This may be a little confusing to people from out of town, but most people know what they mean and is not that much of a big deal but I would just like to point this out.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum gonzo!

I would suggest emailing NDOR and making them aware of this.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't know what's more confusing; calling "W Dodge Rd" "Dodge St" or having a street called "WEST Dodge Rd" that runs east and west..."You want eastbound West Dodge Rd, Grandma." "Well do i want West Dodge Rd or East Dodge Rd?" "No, you want West Dodge Rd, but go east!"
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

It's really not that confusing... the signs along West Dodge Road usually read "US-6 [East or West] / W Dodge Rd" and people rarely make the distinction between West Dodge Road and Dodge Street anyway. In other cities it would make a difference, but not with the way Omaha's grid system works. One would think they are planning on an Interstate designation (or at least renaming the part west of I-680 to Dodge Freeway) in the near future anyway.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Not confusing at all... when you consider all the MANY cities which have east/west/north/south directional prefixes on their streets (ie I'm headed west on East First Street). I do think they need to correct those signs though.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think it's confusing (to the unfamiliar) and unnecessary.

Highway signage in and pertaining to Omaha (e.g. directional signage for Omaha in other cities and states) generally annoys the heck out of me because of how inaccurate and un-refined they are.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963