Another little niche bolstering Eppley 'hub' status

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Another little niche bolstering Eppley 'hub' status

Post by eomaha »

S. Dakota flights tap into Eppley

Air Midwest began flights from Brookings, S.D., to Omaha's Eppley Airfield and on to Kansas City, Mo., this month.

The change has been in the works for about 18 months as managers of the airports in Brookings and Huron, S.D., sought a way to revive air service and to get lower fares.

The two cities' airports receive federal funds through the Essential Air Service program. Previously, flights from Huron and Brookings went to Minneapolis, which is a major hub for Northwest Airlines.

At Tuesday's meeting of the Omaha Airport Authority Board, Executive Director Don Smithey said Omaha offered low-fare air carriers that weren't available in Minneapolis.

"It's very flattering to all of you that they chose Eppley over a larger airport," he said.

Flights, which began Sept. 1, are provided by a 19-passenger Beech 1900 turboprop plane. Ticketing and handling of the Air Midwest flights at Eppley is provided by Midwest Airlines.

The once-a-day flights from Omaha to Kansas City will replace flights dropped in March by Mesa Airlines, which owns Air Midwest.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Also...
America West going back to bigger jets

America West Airlines said "uncle" on its Omaha-to-Phoenix route.

The airline offers four daily nonstop flights to Phoenix. Earlier this year, it switched from 737 jets with about 130 seats each to 70-and 80-passenger regional jets for three of the flights.

The airline's passenger numbers have steadily dropped since then. Through August, America West was down 28 percent compared to the same period last year.

As of Oct. 31, America West will substitute Airbus jets with about 130 seats on three of the flights. One flight will remain a regional jet for now.

"Phoenix is our second-largest market out of Omaha. Traditionally, America West has always done well," said Don Smithey, executive director of the Omaha Airport Authority. "They heavily compete with Southwest for the same business."

In August, Southwest Airlines added a third daily nonstop flight from Omaha to Phoenix. It uses 737 jets with about 130 seats.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

"Don Smithey said Omaha offered low-fare air carriers that weren't available in Minneapolis. "

What could these be?

Great news though, nonetheless.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Southwest Airlines. Minneapolis is not served by Southwest.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No kidding? I guess that is a niche.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow...Take that Minneapolis!! haha, just kidding. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Didn't hurt my feelings, Streets! It's nice to find those little gems that Omaha has over other cities. In this case, Minneapolis.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

AirTran Wants To Take Over Midwest Airlines

TheMilwaukeeChannel wrote:Milwaukee's Midwest Airlines is facing a takeover bid by Orlando-based AirTran Airways. AirTran executives told 12 News that they put in a bid for $288 million. Midwest also has hubs in Kansas City and Omaha.

Midwest and AirTran are not the only airlines talking consolidation. United and Continental are also reportedly exploring a possible merger.

Call of this merger activity comes on the heels of an $8.67 billion takeover bid that US Airways group made for Delta Airlines.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Airlines Surge on Talk of Deals
Wall Street rushes to buy as reports say United, Continental in talks on a combination; AirTran makes a bid for Midwest

Business Week wrote:United and Continental weren't the only airlines to benefit from investor speculation about mergers on Dec. 13. Shares of Midwest Air Group soared to a high for the year of $11.53 per share after news that AirTran Holdings, the parent of AirTran Airways, offered to buy the Milwaukee-based airline for $11.25 per share in cash and AirTran stock. The stock of American Airlines’ parent, AMR Corp., the nation’s largest airline, rose 2.4% to $32.78 on the NYSE at midday.

After the market opened, Midwest Air Group issued a release rejecting the offer, saying it "would not be in the best interests of the company, our shareholders, and other stakeholders, including customers, employees and the communities we serve, to pursue a transaction with AirTran under the current circumstances." Midwest, based in suburban Milwaukee, has developed a niche business-class service with leather seats and freshly baked cookies served onboard. It flies nationwide from hubs in Milwaukee, Kansas City, Mo., and Omaha, Neb.

As the airline industry becomes more competitive and consolidations are more commonplace, a combination of our two companies ensures the best opportunity for serving our respective constituencies," AirTran CEO Joe Leonard said in a statement on Dec. 13.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed more 757s at the terminal and flying in and out of the airport.  Is this anything new, flyOMA?  Any additional info?
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

A couple of weeks ago United was flying 4 daily 757's to Denver, and 2 daily 757's to Chicago. And they only fly 7 non-stops usually on a weekday to Denver, and 7 to Chicago. They only had one regional flight to Denver, and two to Chicago. I believe that United is the only Airline that flies 757's to Omaha. United seems to be getting a lot of business in and out of Eppley.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Not long ago Mesa dropped their flights to South Dakota - must have been when they added the  flights to Grand Island.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

I was coming in for thanksgiving on I29 and saw some large 4 engined plane landing at Eppley, and I have no idea what it was or whose it was.  I assume it was an Airbus of some kind, but I'm not terribly familiar with them.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

Airbus currently operates one four engine jet, the A340. None fly scheduled routes to Omaha. A diverted flight is always possible. Around here we are familiar with two four engine jets. Both are Air Force, the EC-135, which is a Boeing 707 and the E-4, a Boeing 747. Now and then a Russian built AN-124 heavy transport will land at Eppley on a cargo run. The Air Force jets sometimes use Eppley to practice approaches.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

zedmib wrote:Airbus currently operates one four engine jet, the A340. None fly scheduled routes to Omaha. A diverted flight is always possible. Around here we are familiar with two four engine jets. Both are Air Force, the EC-135, which is a Boeing 707 and the E-4, a Boeing 747. Now and then a Russian built AN-124 heavy transport will land at Eppley on a cargo run. The Air Force jets sometimes use Eppley to practice approaches.
Huh, well, it was painted at least two toned, with blue engines and a lighter top... hard to really say.  Definitely wasn't a E4.. I grew up under the offutt landing pattern ;)
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Asten wrote:
zedmib wrote:Airbus currently operates one four engine jet, the A340. None fly scheduled routes to Omaha. A diverted flight is always possible. Around here we are familiar with two four engine jets. Both are Air Force, the EC-135, which is a Boeing 707 and the E-4, a Boeing 747. Now and then a Russian built AN-124 heavy transport will land at Eppley on a cargo run. The Air Force jets sometimes use Eppley to practice approaches.
Huh, well, it was painted at least two toned, with blue engines and a lighter top... hard to really say.  Definitely wasn't a E4.. I grew up under the offutt landing pattern ;)
Sorry I am late to respond to this post...The plane you most likely saw was an Air Transport International DC-8.  These were filling in for some of UPS' aircraft during the holiday rush.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

flyOMA wrote:
Asten wrote:
Sorry I am late to respond to this post...The plane you most likely saw was an Air Transport International DC-8.  These were filling in for some of UPS' aircraft during the holiday rush.
Ah, cool.  Thanks for the info.