New Mexicans Living Our Dream...

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

New Mexicans Living Our Dream...

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Some of you may already know about this, but over the summer, New Mexicans began enjoying the first phase of a commuter rail system that will eventually connect the Albuquerque metro with Santa Fe.  The first phase of the project connects Belen and Bernalillo through downtown Albuquerque.  The line is expected to be extended up to Santa Fe by 2008.  The system connects to Amtrak, ABQ city buses, and Greyhound at Alvarado Transit Center in downtown Albuquerque and a free shuttle is offered to the University of New Mexico and UNM Hospital.

Basically, Albuquerque and Omaha are about the same size in metro population with Omaha being slightly larger, and Santa Fe is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than Lincoln (with a larger tourism industry) and slightly farther away from ABQ than Lincoln is from Omaha.

Basically, they have done what we have only been dreaming about.  I'm EXTATIC that it seems we'll finally get our streetcars running downtown, but the Omaha metro and region needs a stronger, more comprehensive transportation network, offering OPTIONS to the citizens of this area.

Here are a few links and pictures of the New Mexico Rail Runner system.

Pictures from the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico ... tification

Official Web Site:
http://www.nmrailrunner.com/
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

It would be so cool to have commuter rail between Omaha and Lincoln. Personally, I would rather have commuter rail than streetcars. I just think the economic benefit would have a much larger spread across the region. It would be a spark for Omaha, Lincoln, and all of the communities in between that would get stops.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't see that happening for a long time. I actually don't care if I ever see rail between Omaha and Lincoln.
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I can only imagine what a commuter rail between Omaha and Lincoln would be like on football Saturdays.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I'm telling you right now, if there was a rail between Omaha and Lincoln I wouldn't have spent over $300 a year on parking when I was there.  I think the rail could really work.

Reasons:
1)  Students
2)  Commuters
3)  Special occasions (sporting events, fairs, etc)
4)  Gas and parking issues
5)  Faster
6)  Weather issues
7)  It's just cool, etc. :D
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely, Adam!

I'd use a commuter line between the Omaha metro and Lincoln to visit family all the time.  It would be fantastic.

I hope that when it DOES happen, at that point the Burlington Station can be converted BACK into its intended purpose: A Transit Hub!  Commuter rail would stop at Burlington Station, where passengers could connect to Amtrak, MAT buses, The Streetcar, taxis, and Greyhound before heading into Council Bluffs.  It would be OUTSTANDING!!!

Really though, it just comes down to leadership and vision, and Nebraska doesn't have it....(yet?)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

In case any of you are interested, a project similar to the one in New Mexico is going in here in Minnesota between St. Cloud (NW of the TCs) and DT Mlps.

It will hook up with the existing Hiawatha Light Rail line in the Warehouse District essentially adjacent to the new Twins Stadium.   Eventually, the Hiawatha line will be joined by a second light rail line that runs from DT Mlps to DT St Paul so commuters who live in the NW suburbs and further out can take the commuter rail to DT Mlps, then hook up with the light rail to take them either to DT St. Paul (and places in between of course), or stay on the Hiawatha Line which runs to the MSP International Airport and Mall of America.

Like most things in this state, it took FOREVER to get the legislators to come to grips with the need for this...but they seem to have gotten on board with it now.  

http://www.mn-getonboard.org/overview.html