AirTran could be next

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

flyOMA
Home Owners Association

AirTran could be next

Post by flyOMA »

AirTran will be announcing 2 new cities by the end of the month.  Little birdies have whispered to me that the two likely cities are Omaha and Portland, ME.  I haven't heard much about possible routes, but I would almost guarantee them going after Delta in ATL.  Also, with the continued rumors of AirTran looking to buyout Midwest, they would be crazy not to establish a customer base in Omaha before doing so.

Most of these new route announcements have come by total surprise.  The only rumor I had previously caught wind of was the Midwest to West Coast rumor, but I completely dismissed it due to their financial woes and their slow, drawn out snubbing of a previously loyal market.

This could be a GREAT year for the Omaha market - slowly connecting the dots!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Sounds good. I would hope they would venture out and provide non-stop service to some new cities.[/b]
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

Sounds good. I would hope they would venture out and provide non-stop service to some new cities.
Orlando perhaps??
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Bellevue Kid wrote:
Sounds good. I would hope they would venture out and provide non-stop service to some new cities.
Orlando perhaps??
Very possible.  However, I have a feeling the majority of future flights may be into Milwaukee...  :;):
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Well, 3 more days until the end of the month. Hopefully, AirTran will have a positive announcement regarding Omaha.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

today, airtran announced service to portland, ME. maybe omaha will be tomorrow...
AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced plans to begin seasonal service to Portland International Jetport with flights to/from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport and Orlando International Airport. Beginning June 7, 2007, the growing low-fare carrier will offer three daily roundtrip flights between Portland, Maine and Baltimore/Washington with connecting service to 13 destinations. On June 9, 2007, the airline will commence service between Portland, Maine, and Orlando, Fla., with one weekly round trip flight. Portland will be the airline's 56th destination.
http://www.airtran.com/portlandmepress.aspx
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

I certainly hope Omaha service is announced tomorrow!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Airtran announced yesterday that they were adding flights from Baltimore to Dallas, Charlotte, and Seattle.

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix.zh ... highlight=
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Yeah, but Omaha has not yet been mentioned. I hope we get included soon.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

AirTran is big in the east. They're a good-quality low-fare airline. They have good rates out of Florida to a variety of cities, but pretty much every single flight is to or from Atlanta. I wouldn't expect direct AirTran flights from OMA to anywhere other than ATL for quite some time.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

At the Air Tran website, they talk about growth at Baltimore. It would be nice if that growth would include service to OMA and not just Atlanta. Time will tell.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Given AirTran's existing route structure, I'd be surprised if we see anything beyond an OMA-ATL route. All their other existing gateway cities are east of here, and offer a lot fewer potential routes than Atlanta does. But that would still be great, as it provide a good low-cost airline to a lot of eastern cities.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Missouri, Nebraska senators oppose AirTran bid for Midwest
Biz Journal wrote:Three U.S. Senators joined Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.) in sending a letter to the CEO of AirTran Holdings Inc. opposing his airline's takeover attempt of Midwest Air Group Inc.  In their letter, Sens. Kit Bond (R-Mo.), Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) and Kohl cite growing concerns that the merger will diminish service quality and competition in their local airline markets. Kohl is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee's Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights subcommittee. Oak Creek-based Midwest Airlines operates major hubs at General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee and Kansas City International Airport in Kansas City, Mo., and also provides a link from Eppley Air Field in Omaha, Neb., to Washington's Reagan National Airport.

In their letter to Joe Leonard of AirTran, the senators said that they "have very serious concerns that an acquisition of Midwest Airlines by AirTran would appear to jeopardize the enormous consumer benefits realized by many thousands of travelers throughout our states from the frequency and efficiency of the highly competitive service offered by Midwest Airlines serving travelers throughout Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska."