Director: Roads department future is 'unstable'

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Director: Roads department future is 'unstable'

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0 ... ds18.shtml
There may be rocky roads ahead for the Nebraska Department of Roads.
"The future is unstable ... because of the 't' word -- taxes," state Roads Director John Craig said on Tuesday at the Grand Island Rotary Club meeting.
The department needs at least $170 million a year just to maintain the current roadways in the state. That means no new lane miles, no new interchanges, no new bridges, no new anything, Craig said.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Pretty much everything in that article relates to the reality that we have too many roads with too many cars and we're too dependent on them and no one wants to take the personal responsibility to pay for them or cut down on their use.

[sarcasm]Too bad no one could possibly have seen this coming.[/sarcasm]

-Big E
Stable genius.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

Here is how we could take personal responsibility:

1. Ask for toll roads
2. Pay more for parking - end free parking
3. Approve no-car areas within our cities

If we want to drive more, we need to pay more.

Are you ready?

Vince
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm all for toll roads and parking taxes.  It's inexcusable to me that the WDE isn't a toll road (or at the very least, doesn't include a HOV-esque toll lane), along with 480 access from Omaha to CB, and huge portions of 80 statewide.

Imagine the revenue generated if you pulled $5 - $10 weekly from every commuter on the WDE alone.

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Big E wrote:It's inexcusable to me that the WDE isn't a toll road (or at the very least, doesn't include a HOV-esque toll lane), along with 480 access from Omaha to CB, and huge portions of 80 statewide.
Actually, back in the day before there was an I-480, the Ak-Sar-Ben bridge was toll for a long period of time.  I don't recall exactly what the impetus was, but basically there was an agreement that that crossing would never be toll again.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I believe the I-480/AkSarBen bridge was a toll bridge until its initial bonds were paid off. I am more certain of the I-680/Mormon Bridge. As soon as it was paid off, the toll booth was taken down. The Bellevue Bridge at Haworth Park was the same way. In Plattsmouth they have continued with a toll to help defray maintenance costs.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

guy4omaha wrote:I believe the I-480/AkSarBen bridge was a toll bridge until its initial bonds were paid off.  . .
The Bellevue Bridge at Haworth Park was the same way. . .
You are correct on the Ak-Sar-Ben bridge, the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben bought the bridge in the 30s and continued the toll until the bonds were paid off.

Are you sure about the Bellevue bridge?  I could swear last time I was over it, they still charged toll.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Um, yeah, the Bellevue/370 bridge is definitely still a toll bridge.  Otherwise, someone has one helluva racket going on!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

icejammer wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:
Are you sure about the Bellevue bridge?  
Not anymore!  :lol: I haven't been across the Bellevue Bridge in years and thought I recalled some news story from years back that the toll had been removed. Looks like if I am coming up I-29 one of these days and want to take a Hwy 370 shortcut I had better have some pocketchange!
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It still is a toll way.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I remember a story within the past couple of years reporting that the bridge had just been 'paid off'... yet tolls would continue to fund ongoing maintenance.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.