Union Pacific Blair Sub Double Track Project

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Union Pacific Blair Sub Double Track Project

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

This was a rumor. But. I was told from a farmer last year that the UP was going to install a second Main over the Blair Sub. But nothing is happening. I wondering if the UP decided to put this on hold. I see no signs of Bridge work being done anywhere. Hmm.
I wonder.
Allan Love Jr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is a lot of grade on that sub right?  That's the only reason I would see it not happen.
Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

Brad wrote:There is a lot of grade on that sub right?  That's the only reason I would see it not happen.
True.
Allan Love Jr
Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Blair Sub Double Tracking.

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

For some time now. The Union Pacific has been working on preparing grading work for a second main track across three county's.  There from Missouri Valley to Fremont. Work started way back in the early fall when I just happen to really find out about it. I have been keeping track ever since. Anyways. Enjoy. http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=33840
Allan Love Jr
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Thanks for the info and link.

I believe a lot of high-tonnage cargo (eastbound coal) runs through Omaha-Council Bluffs because the bridge at Blair can't handle the axle weights. It isn't just single track but also the bridge strength - the loaded coal trains but more strain on a bridge than double-stack containers. I would not be surprised to see much of this traffic routed through Blair when the bridge is replaced. It would reduce eastbound mileage and save fuel costs. Omaha will still see locals freights, north-south tonnage on the old CNW and MoPac lines, interchange with Iowa Interstate and Canadian National.

UP has to run the big steam through here don't they? Where would passengers from Omaha park if they load in Blair?

If UP ends up with excess capacity through Omaha maybe MAPA could negotiate a lease on some right-of-way for light-rail from downtown to Village Point? (My apologies Brad -- I know I should post this last sentence in the light-rail thread).
Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

mrdwhsr wrote:Thanks for the info and link.

I believe a lot of high-tonnage cargo (eastbound coal) runs through Omaha-Council Bluffs because the bridge at Blair can't handle the axle weights. It isn't just single track but also the bridge strength - the loaded coal trains but more strain on a bridge than double-stack containers. I would not be surprised to see much of this traffic routed through Blair when the bridge is replaced. It would reduce eastbound mileage and save fuel costs. Omaha will still see locals freights, north-south tonnage on the old CNW and MoPac lines, interchange with Iowa Interstate and Canadian National.

UP has to run the big steam through here don't they? Where would passengers from Omaha park if they load in Blair?

If UP ends up with excess capacity through Omaha maybe MAPA could negotiate a lease on some right-of-way for light-rail from downtown to Village Point? (My apologies Brad -- I know I should post this last sentence in the light-rail thread).
Thanks for looking. Tell you the truth. I have captured alot of eastbound loaded coal trains come over the Blair Sub. Also. Almost every now the UP 3985 and the UP 844 have come through Blair alot. UP 844 came through last year. Take a look at Brad Willams photos. Brad has captured both the UP 844 and the UP 3985 go over the Blair Bridge many times. As for the Blair Double Tracking. It is my understanding that once the second track in in. A very large chunk of eastbound traffic will move up the Blair Sub. Take care.
Allan Love Jr