Many pick train over plane, automobile.

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Many pick train over plane, automobile.

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

Many pick train over plane, automobile

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10397453
JONATHON BRADEN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Thirty minutes before the scheduled boarding time of Amtrak's California Zephyr, no one waited in the small train station at 1003 S. Ninth St.

The dozens of black, cushioned seats in the lobby were empty.

That's because the Zephyr, Amtrak's only route that chugs through Omaha, was running almost six hours late. Most of the train's passengers had called ahead to check on its status.

"I wish it was a little more on time," Albert Williams said about 10:45 one recent morning as he waited for the Zephyr — which was scheduled to board at 6:15 a.m. "It's not often that they're exactly on time."

The Zephyr, which was prompt for just 29 percent of its routes in the 12-month period through May, did improve its punctuality to 36 percent in June.

Even with its persistent time problems, thousands more people have chosen the route in the past year. They joined millions across the nation who were attracted by train travel's simplicity — dining, reading or enjoying the sights — and sometimes the savings of rail travel instead of hopping in a car or boarding a plane.

Minus a washed-out June in Iowa, about 20,000 more people rode the Zephyr from October to May compared with last year, or about 10 percent more.

Nationwide, Amtrak has seen about a 10 percent increase for the same time period, or 1.8 million more riders.

The millions choosing Amtrak still represent only about 0.1 percent of all travel in the United States, according to federal statistics.
Allan Love Jr
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm taking the Zephyr in a couple of weeks to Union Station in Denver... then taking the Orange line to downtown Littleton, where I'll get off and walk 4 blocks to meet my parents at their hotel.  Pretty slick.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:I'm taking the Zephyr in a couple of weeks to Union Station in Denver... then taking the Orange line to downtown Littleton, where I'll get off and walk 4 blocks to meet my parents at their hotel.  Pretty slick.
Keep track of dollars and time.  I'm curious to see how it compares to a flight and a rental car.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Welcome to the end of the era of profitable regional flights.  I give it about 2 more years before you have no choice when leaving Omaha but to fly through Chicago and maybe one other (Denver? Dallas?).
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

As for my trip... the Zephyr tickets cost me $236... ~ 9hrs (almost all overnight and the seats are real comfy).  I suppose some would scoff at the difference between this and roundtrip airline tickets... but it makes a difference to me.  Plus, I'd have to take a cab/shuttle to my final destination... whereas the train puts me right at Union Station where I can board that Orange line to Littleton.  From what I saw... I don't believe the light rail trip will cost me more than a few spare dollars.

Now, I have to say... my Civic could take me to Denver and back for no more than $120... but I really hate trying to drive over 1,000 miles within a day.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:From what I saw... I don't believe the light rail trip will cost me more than a few spare dollars.
If I remember right, it was only a few bucks to ride last year when I was out there.  I tried to ask Eric "zephyr" since he works for them, but he is out of the office today.
Last edited by Brad on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

There are like 4 different fare zones... and I believe it is $3 to traverse the 3 required to get me to downtown Littleton (which is nearly the end of the Orange line).  It was just coincidence that the station fell within 4 blocks of the hotel which my parents are staying at.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I believe I paid 16 - 20 in tolls on my road trip back from Colorado a few weeks ago.  The interstate from near Denver out to the airport is toll as most of you know and I took this way up from Colorado Springs to tie into I 80.  Before someone says there are other routes, I know that but this was what worked best for my trip and where I needed to be and when along to way.  Makes the fair for the short runs on train look pretty good.  

Showing my ignorance, is there a train / tram rout from Denver out to the airport?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:Showing my ignorance, is there a train / tram rout from Denver out to the airport?
I believe it is planned but not built yet.  At least this is the case when we visited a year ago.  I'm sure someone has more up to date info than that.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I should add too... pleased with my son's $55 fare to Minneapolis... I checked taking the bus to Denver.  Reasonably priced... but -18- hours!?  Why going west vs northeast to Minneapolis adds 10 hours?!  I have no idea... I'll guess a long layover or something.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:I should add too... pleased with my son's $55 fare to Minneapolis... I checked taking the bus to Denver.  Reasonably priced... but -18- hours!?  Why going west vs northeast to Minneapolis adds 10 hours?!  I have no idea... I'll guess a long layover or something.

Time Zones????    :mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

that accounts for only one hour.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I got round trip tickets on Frontier to Denver for $134. Late September. Fall colors here I come. :)
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

the1wags wrote:I got round trip tickets on Frontier to Denver for $134. Late September. Fall colors here I come. :)
Actually, I like flying Frontier. I hope they get their financial act together. I would hate to lose them from Omaha. I also like the GPS map on the back of the seat, to let you know where you are.

My only complaint about them, and this hasn't happened to me for maybe a year, is when they put those tiny toy planes on the Omaha to Denver leg of the flight. I guess I shouldn't gripe, most airlines except Southwest have the big/little plane roulette these days, with Delta having nothing but little planes out of Omaha for some time now.

Oh well ...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I got round trip tickets on Frontier to Denver for $134. Late September. Fall colors here I come.
Yeah no kidding... if only my uncle could have scheduled his death a month or so out.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I was simply stating that price in relation to the original topic, not to rip on you for paying more for Amtrak. Lighten up.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You lighten up... I hardly knew the guy. ;)

For what it's worth... it does appear that Amtrak's rates vary depending on how far out you schedule as well.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I haven't used it in years, and I don't know whether or not they still exist, but most airlines have (or had) what is known as a "bereavement fare". It's a steeply discounted fare for those attending funerals.  I've used it a couple of times, but it's been ten years or so.  They'll even bump someone to accommodate you.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I am aware of that as well.  While his death wasn't scheduled... he service WAS... 2 weeks after he passed away.  So, it ended up not being urgent enough to qualify for the bereavement fares I looked into (I suppose I could have distorted the truth a little and taken advantage of it, but I didn't)... yet close enough I missed out on decent airfares.
[/img]