The "Sea of Parking" debate

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Quick DTO, $9 wine! :lol:

Regarding the parking, those developers could also get more money for secure garage parking spots as opposed to surface spots.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

But people only want to pay so much for an apartment. Also depends on where these apt would be. And also how long would it take them to justify $250,000 per building?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Re: The "Sea of Parking" debate

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:  I don't blame the developers with the parking requirements they must follow.
The price is one thing.  Their decision making has nothing to do with these parking requirements.  Most developers know that they cant sell or lease units that dont have parking.  Even when there is NO parking required they are bending over backwards to provide 1-2 spaces per unit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Interesting little parking note from "NASCAR Now" on ESPN2

Dallas Cowboys new Stadium - parking $75 per car
American Airlines Arena (Mavericks and Stars) - $35 per car
Texas Motor Speedway - Free Parking (Reserved seat tickets starting at $20 and you can bring a cooler in with you)

Makes $6 at the Qwest Center seem cheep!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is exactly why the city needs to implement new tax incentives that encourage the type of development we all want to see.

If developers got a huge tax break for adding multi-level parking garages with mixed uses at street-level, or underground parking, they would oblige.

Most developers are only thinking about money, so if you make it financially beneficial to develop things the right way, they'll do it. Better yet, MAKE them do it.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:Dallas Cowboys new Stadium - parking $75 per car
:shock: That is absofreakinglutely insane.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah, yet today at work I overheard two people talking about where they park for Qwest events because they absolutely refuse to pay $6. It's good that they will park and walk, but you shoulda heard them. "You pay what you do for tickets and then they want $6 on top of it? I for one won't do it."  :roll:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

shoulda hit em in the head with a tack hammer.

I don't get that either.  I think it's small town type of mentality; my mom and grandma were talking about that once after i attended an event at the Qwest, and thought it was just insane that i paid $6 to park.  Beats walking there all the way from my house, i guess.
Go Cubs Go
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Brad wrote:Interesting little parking note from "NASCAR Now" on ESPN2

Texas Motor Speedway - Free Parking (Reserved seat tickets starting at $20 and you can bring a cooler in with you)

What parking spots are they talking about?  I was at a Lakers-Mavericks game and parking was nowhere near that much outside of the lots right next to the arena.  We paid $10 to park about as far away as I usually end up parking at the Qwest.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:
Brad wrote:Interesting little parking note from "NASCAR Now" on ESPN2

What parking spots are they talking about?  I was at a Lakers-Mavericks game and parking was nowhere near that much outside of the lots right next to the arena.  We paid $10 to park about as far away as I usually end up parking at the Qwest.
No Idea, that's just what was on TV???
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

One of my mom's elderly friends called me and asked where the free parking DT was because her and her 80 year old neighbor wanted to go to the home and garden show on a day it was freezing cold outside. They said they didn't want to pay to park because it would to expensive and it was ok for two people in their 60's and one in their 80's to walk from the far away free spots instead of coming up with the $2 per person to park across the goddam street from the Qwest.
DTO
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Thats sad in so many ways.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Just a different generation's train of thought.

Personally I have always wondered why the QWEST doesn't charge $5 -- much easier to make change instead of someone having to count out four $1 plus whatever else.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:Just a different generation's train of thought.

Personally I have always wondered why the QWEST doesn't charge $5 -- much easier to make change instead of someone having to count out four $1 plus whatever else.
I was telling Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, and DTO when we were walking from our free spot to the qwest today that I would guess it won't be $6 when the ballpark is done.  It would surprise me if its less than 10 during the CWS.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah and everyone will |expletive| about it even though they're paying 10-20 to park in someones yard now.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The City is more than willing to work with developers on parking requirements.  Much of the time it is the developers themselves that want the parking, not the City forcing it upon them.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

cdub wrote:The City is more than willing to work with developers on parking requirements.  Much of the time it is the developers themselves that want the parking, not the City forcing it upon them.
I'm convinced that most developers are half re...uh..mentally challenged. Most developments have many useless parking spots and/or unnecessarily large landscape buffers from the street that could be turned into leasable buildings. Leased buildings = profit. Parking lots = expense.  :?

Same with housing developments. So many have wasted space or unnecessarily large lots. More homes equals more money, right?

Why don't they maximize space? Their current practices are sloppy and wasteful and costing them profits.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Most projects I work on use every inch of space they are allowed by zoning laws/setbacks.  The cities require "X" spots per square foot of building, the buildings can also only cover "X"% of the lot and most lots have a decent sized setback/green space requirements.  Most developers want to cram the most retail space in that they can.

There are also a lot of new Storm Water Quality laws that are requiring more and more space.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:Most projects I work on use every inch of space they are allowed by zoning laws/setbacks.  The cities require "X" spots per square foot of building, the buildings can also only cover "X"% of the lot and most lots have a decent sized setback/green space requirements.  Most developers want to cram the most retail space in that they can.

There are also a lot of new Storm Water Quality laws that are requiring more and more space.
In west O there is less flexibility and more regulation but cramming more strip mall onto a site isnt really a benefit.  When projects are mixed use and urban there is a lot more flexibility.