Cuming Street Construction

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Soon, there'll be no going on Cuming

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10595068
TOM SHAW WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:It will be more difficult to get to these major destinations starting Monday, when city crews begin a massive sewer project that will close large sections of Cuming Street to traffic until after Thanksgiving.

The $7 million construction project is part of the city's overhaul of its combined sewer system. Construction will move from east to west in three phases, starting at 20th Street and concluding at 27th Street in mid-December.

The road closings are sure to cause headaches for concert-goers and commuters alike.

Cuming Street is a major route to downtown and the arena and convention center, as well as a connector to Abbott Drive and the airport. A total of 50,000 cars a day use that stretch of Cuming, according to city traffic counts.

A series of alternate routes will be recommended by the city and Qwest Center officials during the construction.

Cuming Street already is restricted to one lane each way from 25th to 27th Streets. Those lane restrictions are needed for utility work that must be done ahead of the sewer construction.

Other parts of Cuming Street were restricted for several months due to various construction projects. One was the widening of 13th and 14th Streets last year to make them two-way streets.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That's going to make things ugly.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I hope there is a way that while they are doing this project, they can also take care of future needs with demolition and development of the area.  When Creighton starts redevelopment of the Modern Equipment property, there will once again be need to access the the utilities in the street.
where the corn meets the concrete
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I know this is for sewer construction, but is the city also taking this as an opportunity to completely re-do Cuming Street? Hopefully into a great urban streetscape.

If not what a shame. I love how, even in the midst of drafting a great plan for Downtown, we are letting such huge opportunities slip through the cracks. Case in point, this project, the Pinnacle site, etc.
Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Street Construction.

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

I drove by there twice already. It is a freaking mess.
Allan Love Jr
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I know this is for sewer construction, but is the city also taking this as an opportunity to completely re-do Cuming Street? Hopefully into a great urban streetscape.

If not what a shame. I love how, even in the midst of drafting a great plan for Downtown, we are letting such huge opportunities slip through the cracks. Case in point, this project, the Pinnacle site, etc.
I agree, the street is completely gone in several areas, I hope they do more than just a replacement.  This would be the perfect time to connect Abbot Drive to thee North Freeway with some nice lights and other amenities.
where the corn meets the concrete
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

windsor wrote:This would be the perfect time to connect Abbot Drive to thee North Freeway with some nice lights and other amenities.
Send some e-mails somewhere, then.  :;):  Surely there's a person to whom one can send suggestions and/or complaints about this sort of thing?
... wait, what?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Santa?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The finished part of Cuming Street looks good.  Nice old school street lights and all.  Hope the rest gets finished soon!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:The finished part of Cuming Street looks good.  Nice old school street lights and all.  Hope the rest gets finished soon!
Pics?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:
Brad wrote:The finished part of Cuming Street looks good.  Nice old school street lights and all.  Hope the rest gets finished soon!
Pics?
Not yet... May be not ever with all the homeless millin around down there!  I need a bright orange shirt that says "I DON'T HAVE ANY |expletive| CHANGE"!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It looks GREAT. And there's a nice wide pedestrian promenade on both sides. When this is done, it will really make Cuming St attractive for new businesses. I hope trees and landscaping are also planned.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brick crosswalks too.
barattataxicab
New to the Neighborhood

Post by barattataxicab »

Will construction ever really stop on Cuming? I mean it's been on going frequently for years now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The stupid thing is its new from the airport to 13th or 14th and the old to about 18th or 19th, then new to the north freeway... why skip the middle?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

OPEN OPEN OPEN

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Cuming Street is now open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

There are still a couple of lane restrictions but you can get through.