Mayoral Candidates Reveal Ineptness on Transportation

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Mayoral Candidates Reveal Ineptness on Transportation

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

My god. What is happening with our leadership?

After reading the article about how all of our state leaders have their proverbial thumb up their |expletive| on the high speed rail stimulus funds, I see this.

Here's what our mayoral candidates had to say about urban transit in Omaha.

From the Omaha World-Herald:
Daub said he would work to secure stimulus money or other federal dollars to replace the big "belching buses" with smaller vans.

"You could have three or four of those operating, where only one operates now," he said.
Are you |expletive| kidding me, Daub? Vans? |expletive| VANS??!!
Suttle said he would start from scratch. The city's current bus system evolved from an old model - when downtown was the hub - and it needs to be totally overhauled.

"We need a brand new thought process," said Suttle.
What the |expletive| did you just say, Suttle? Because it sounded like you don't think Downtown is the hub of Omaha, and want to completely restructure Omaha's transit to reflect this belief.

Uuuugggghh. I'm so fed up with the hacks that hold political office in Nebraska. I really am. Daub, I thought you were the pro-streetcar, pro-urban transit mayor. What the heck happened? We don't need little vans. We need to fill the buses that we DO have on the streets, and we need urban rail transit.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'm not really worried about this. I agree with Hal's idea of replacing big buses for the smaller ones on some routes. There were times when I rode the bus that there would be 4 or 5 people on the bus, which is wasteful.

I'd like to see more smaller buses, serving more areas, that feed some new transfer stations out west. Then 3 or 4 or 5 smaller buses passengers combine onto one express full size bus to midtown or downtown.

Hal also has been careful to not go streetcar crazy in the media, as he knows that a lot of people would gripe, especially with the current economic environment. I'm confident that Hal is very pro streetcar.
Last edited by the1wags on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Vans? Little ugly MOBY-esque vans taking over all routes?
Stupidest thing evar!
Maybe smaller routes, but long, high passenger routes like the 30 or the 2? That's insane.

Starting from scratch doesn't sound so bad - the buses are so |expletive| they need a huge overhaul.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

I'm with you Big E on frequent service. Maybe the No. 2 route comes close to mass transit service. Even that route leaves you with a 40-minute wait between buses in non-rush hour service. Most folks, me included, don't want to wait more than 20 minutes for the next bus. Hourly schedules? Sounds more like a make work scheme than a transit system.

At least Hal's mini-buses or vans would provide jobs and could offer more frequent service (and free up a full size bus for the 2 and the 30).

I'm not sure how much of a dent Jim Suttle's new bridge to Iowa will put in northeast Omaha's unemployment problem. The North Freeway, the Sorenson, and the Storz Expressway have yet to show great reductions in the unemployment rate.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I guess if it increased frequency and reliability at all times of the day, I would support smaller buses or "vans" in the short term just to get people riding.

It kills me to see the huge empty buses cruising around Omaha, and then having to wait a half an hour for a bus.

Wait time should NEVER be more than 15 minutes, at least on the main corridors.

And maybe smaller "shuttles" would allow there to be late night service, at least until midnight during the week, and until 1:30 or 2:00 AM on Friday and Saturday.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

When I lived in "suburban" Baltimore (right by the light rail halfway between DC and Baltimore), there was just this type of service to all the neighborhoods where the light rail stops were.  They'd just keep running loops in the rush hours for commuters, then disappear all day, then come back en masse to get everyone home.  This was in addition to the park 'n' ride at the station itself.

This wasn't set up for anything other than getting commuters to and from the station every day, but there's no reason the same philosophy couln't be applied to a downtown circulator.
Stable genius.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

If it means making bus service more reliable and more frequent, then I think substituting the lesser-used buses with vans would be a great idea.  (As long as they're the type of vans that the airport uses, of course.)  Really, if the bus service isn't reliable, then the service defeats its own purpose, which is to provide a reliable form of transportation.  So that's a problem we need to fix asap.
... wait, what?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Agreed.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Daub endorsed having a plan in place for a light-rail system within the next ten years on Grow Omaha Saturday morning. Daub thinks we will need light-rail in about ten years. It sounded like he meant a shovel ready plan. It would beat adding lanes to the freeways. We will have to wait for next the next Grow Omaha Show at 8:00am Saturday the 9th to hear what Jim Suttle has to say. Omaha should have had a shovel ready plan for a streetcar line but all we have had out of the Fahey administration is talk.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

mrdwhsr wrote:Daub endorsed having a plan in place for a light-rail system within the next ten years on Grow Omaha Saturday morning. Daub thinks we will need light-rail in about ten years. It sounded like he meant a shovel ready plan. It would beat adding lanes to the freeways. We will have to wait for next the next Grow Omaha Show at 8:00am Saturday the 9th to hear what Jim Suttle has to say. Omaha should have had a shovel ready plan for a streetcar line but all we have had out of the Fahey administration is talk.
10 years?!
Ugh.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Daub was on The Grow Omaha Radio Show this past Saturday, talked a bit about mass transit:

[wmp]http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... Grow_Omaha[/wmp]
[emff]http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... Grow_Omaha[/emff]
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/ ... Grow_Omaha
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yay!

Hal Daub says we NEED to improve public transportation, not just for people who live in low-income areas, but for anyone who just doesn't want to own a car and wants to be able to get to where they need to go, even if it's that third shift at work. He specifically mentioned that we need much better service AFTER 10 PM and ON WEEKENDS.

+1 for Daub.

Although, come on. 10 years for light rail???

Hopefully he'll be more aggressive on this after he's in office, and he just doesn't want to upset people off that think it's not necessary.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I don't think 10 years for light rail is a big deal, ASSUMING development for the next ten years steers towards it.  If we just START the development that way in 10 years, we're going to continue to suck hind teat.

Streetcars, on the other hand, should be being built NOW.
Stable genius.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Portland Oregon landed $75 million for a 3.3 mile streetcar line extension, $45 million of that from the "New Start" fund.
Omaha has landed $0. It would be nice to hear more than talk about the need and see some action.

And no, another "STUDY" isn't action, it's a stall tactic.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:I don't think 10 years for light rail is a big deal, ASSUMING development for the next ten years steers towards it.  If we just START the development that way in 10 years, we're going to continue to suck hind teat.

Streetcars, on the other hand, should be being built NOW.
See, that's where I want some clarification.

I feel like both candidates, and Suttle in particular, are melding words when it come to streetcars and light rail.

If they were talking about needing streetcars RIGHT NOW, and getting a more widespread light rail system going within 10 years, I'd be totally on board with that.

The truth, as most of us realize, is that we should have streetcar tracks going into the ground RIGHT NOW. We don't need any more studying, we need a plan, and we need to be putting it into the ground.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

When I heard Hal talking in person he's said that streetcars need to be now but also talks about it in conjunction with something more city wide. I think that's where there may be some confusion.
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:He specifically mentioned that we need much better service AFTER 10 PM and ON WEEKENDS.
Praise Jesus!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

One more gripe about Suttle....

He keeps stating that the streetcar needs to be studied to see if it can generate $1B worth of developement along it's route. Well considering that there's been over $3B in new developments DT with NO streetcar, I think it's safe to say the $1B goal wouldn't take long to reach.
DTO
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

DTO Luv wrote:One more gripe about Suttle....

He keeps stating that the streetcar needs to be studied to see if it can generate $1B worth of developement along it's route. Well considering that there's been over $3B in new developments DT with NO streetcar, I think it's safe to say the $1B goal wouldn't take long to reach.
Wouldn't that be a third study so far? For the record, if the economy remains stable and gradually shows signs of strengthening(not just a "bear rally") and banks start lending, I am 100% pro-streetcar/do it tomorrow and I do believe it could generate a bottom line 1bill in development - maybe within 5 years or sooner.

My skepticism lies mostly with the current economy. (keeping in mind the past fundamentals which led the the collapse still remain in most sectors)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I KNOW! I totally agree, D'Shawn.

S33, you're absolutely right. It would be AT LEAST the third study, which shows how out of touch Suttle is.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hmmm, so remind me which one is the republican and which one is the democrat? I'm a bit confused...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Daub - R
Suttle- D
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Ha, I was kidding..