I-29 south of C.B. construction

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bugeater
Library Board

I-29 south of C.B. construction

Post by Bugeater »

I went down to St Joseph this weekend and was greeted almost immediately by 30 miles of road construction, they have a couple sections of the SB side closed down with traffic shifts over to the NB side, and it appears they are fixing to close down a couple more sections. As far as actual construction all I saw was a bridge being removed on the first section, and it looks like they are getting ready to tear out one on the second section as well.

Anyone know what all is being done along here? I don't understand why they need those annoying 6-8 mile long traffic shifts just to replace a bridge. Hopefully there is some resurfacing happening too, all of 29 down to the MO border has been a battlezone for years.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Try looking at the Iowa DOT traffic conditions page:
Between Exit 35: US 34 and IA 370 (near Council Bluffs). Road construction work is in progress. Bridge construction work is in progress. Until November 16.

Comment: Mills County. The southbound lane will be closed for a hot mix asphalt overlay plus the construction of a new bridge. This closure will start approximately three miles north of the north junction of I-29 and US-34, exit 35, north to the Pottawattamie County Line, approximately three miles north of the IA-370 interchange, exit 42. The traffic will be in a head-to-head situation in the north bound lanes of I-29. The Council Bluffs Resident Construction Engineer will administer this project. Phone: 1-800-579-2719.

Last updated April 20 by the IADOT  
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Appreciate that, I make that trip once every couple months so it will be nice to know what to expect when I'm going that way. Evidently it's going to be a mess for the foreseeable future.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.