Iowa Passanger Rail

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Like I said in an earlier post, even if Nebraska politicos aren't much interested in High-Speed Rail, we can count on Iowa to carry the water. Culver is in favor of a route from Chicago to Omaha via Des Moines according to the OWH: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10631550

If nothing else, this could increase train frequency between Omaha and Chicago, assuming Amtrak keeps the California Zephyr running. That alone might attract more riders for both routes.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Way to go Culver. Thanks for being a leader to our state, too, since we can't rely on our own.

This would be unbelievably awesome. Imagine being able to take the train to Des Moines, IA City, and having another connection to Chicago, which obviously offers a multitude of further connections.

After Iowa shows us how to do things, maybe Nebraska will step up with a plan linking west to Lincoln, and eventually Grand Island. Then we could think about getting lines going north to Sioux City and Sioux Falls, and south to KC.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Culver Takes To The Rails To Promote Passenger Train Service

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/49022666.html
www.wowt.com wrote:Gov. Chet Culver is taking to the rails to promote his effort to expand passenger train service in Iowa. Culver hopped an Iowa Interstate Railroad train passenger car Wednesday to push the plan.

He says the economic stimulus package approved by the Legislature this year included $3 million to expand rail service from Chicago to Des Moines. Culver says he will pressure the federal government on the issue.

Culver had stops planned for 13 Iowa cities. Culver says he plans to meet with Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn within a month to coordinate efforts to expand rail service.
Culver boards train to promote development of more rail service

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... /1001/NEWS
The Des Moines Register wrote:Iowa Gov. Chet Culver embarked on a 13-city train trip through central and western Iowa today, promoting the development of passenger rail service from Chicago to Omaha.

Culver was joined by local and state elected officials and transportation officials as they took off from Des Moines' former Rock Island depot on 4th Street.

Culver said Iowa representatives met with Amtrak officials in Washington, D.C., last week and that he was scheduled to attend a July 27 meeting to discuss rail service with other Midwestern governors in Chicago.

“We've never been this close,” Culver told reporters while traveling through western Dallas County. “It's never looked this positive with President Obama’s leadership. He wants this thing personally. He wants to get Des Moines and Chicago linked. You couldn't have a better advocate.”
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Good thing NE leaders like Chet Culver are being proactive about rail in Omaha. Oh wait...
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Between this and Gay rights, Iowa is REALLY making us look bad these days.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

He says the economic stimulus package approved by the Legislature this year included $3 million to expand rail service from Chicago to Des Moines
Well heck, let's be pro-active kick in a million to get them to expand it to Omaha.  What a bargain!  We'll all have an eOmaha/AbsoluteDSM meet between the two cities within a couple of years!  :roll:
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:
He says the economic stimulus package approved by the Legislature this year included $3 million to expand rail service from Chicago to Des Moines
Well heck, let's be pro-active kick in a million to get them to expand it to Omaha.  What a bargain!  We'll all have an eOmaha/AbsoluteDSM meet between the two cities within a couple of years!  :roll:
As long as they don't have to cross the Missouri.....
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Culver touts train service in Bluffs
High-speed passenger train service between Chicago and Omaha may come to fruition in several years, according to Iowa Gov. Chet Culver. The governor, who came by train Wednesday afternoon to Council Bluffs to promote his support for expanded passenger rail service in Iowa, said a passenger route between Chicago and Iowa City should be up and running within two years. If that proves popular with the public, then the route would continue through Des Moines, Council Bluffs and into Omaha, Culver said. He wasn’t sure on the timetable on that extended route, only that it would be “several years” later. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Phenomenal!

I can just picture the service's western terminus at the Burlington Station, served by streetcars, LRT/commuter rail, taxis, MAT and Greyhound.

With multiple daily trains to Chicago from Omaha, plus connections to Eppley for flights, this would make Lincoln to Omaha commuter service EXTREMELY feasible.

This really gives me hope!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

From a scheduling perspective, its highly unlikely that you'll ever see high speed passenger trains on the same track as freight, and given that practically all track in Nebraska / Iowa is UP / BNSF owned, that lessens the likelihood we'll ever see high speed rail here.  I know UP's not a fan of sharing track now with Amtrak (scheduling / switching concerns), I highly doubt they'd expand the partnership to high speed trains...  I think what Culver said about existing track usage was more from not knowing reality than it was any sort of educated statement.

Plus, track needs to be maintained to a much higher level for trains going 150+ mph....  That'd be virtually impossible to do on one of the highest use freight rail lines in the world.  

Keep hoping, but don't hold your breath....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You have one thing going for Iowa that Nebraska doesn't have... The Iowa Interstate Railroad:

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Phenomenal!

I can just picture the service's western terminus at the Burlington Station, served by streetcars, LRT/commuter rail, taxis, MAT and Greyhound.

With multiple daily trains to Chicago from Omaha, plus connections to Eppley for flights, this would make Lincoln to Omaha commuter service EXTREMELY feasible.

I'm going to get in trouble for this but whatever.

Streets?  Wake up Streets!  Time to wake up!  You've been dreaming again.

I'm just not convinced that it's cost effective for a train from Chicago to Omaha over and above what Amtrack provides already.  I'm all for streetcars from Eppley through downtown to the Zoo.  On the other hand, what is proposed for rail from Chicago to DM to Omaha simply doesn't have the population or demand to justify the cost.  IN MY OPINION, it just doesn't make economic sense.  I've ridden Amtrack from Omaha to Chicago and its lots of fun and a whole different feel than airline travel.  It just takes too long.

Again, I really don't mean to pick on you, Streets.  I admire your passion.  

However, IF they offer railroad french toast, I might be interested.  Good stuff, that french toast.

For what it's worth, take a look at what the motor city has in mind.  http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... /905219973
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

NovakOmaha wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Phenomenal!

I'm going to get in trouble for this but whatever.

Streets?  Wake up Streets!  Time to wake up!  You've been dreaming again.

I'm just not convinced that it's cost effective for a train from Chicago to Omaha over and above what Amtrack provides already.  I'm all for streetcars from Eppley through downtown to the Zoo.  On the other hand, what is proposed for rail from Chicago to DM to Omaha simply doesn't have the population or demand to justify the cost.  IN MY OPINION, it just doesn't make economic sense.  I've ridden Amtrack from Omaha to Chicago and its lots of fun and a whole different feel than airline travel.  It just takes too long.

Again, I really don't mean to pick on you, Streets.  I admire your passion.  

However, IF they offer railroad french toast, I might be interested.  Good stuff, that french toast.
French toast sounds good.

If we have two trains per day it could make it very possible to take the train Omaha to Des Moines, spend the day in Des Moines, return Des Moines to Omaha the same day. There are plenty of opportunties for local service depending on how the trains are scheduled. Atlantic to Omaha, Grinnell - Des Moines, Rock Island - Iowa City It's not like a UNITED flight non-stop to O'Hare.

The Zephyr schedule has never been very favorable to local travel in Iowa/Nebraska and the route doesn't serve any Iowa metros.

Of course good local transit options -- streetcar, light rail -- are an absolute necessity to make inter city passenger rail work. Streets is absolutely right, there must be transit options at the Burlington Station to make 'Iowa Rail' work.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

From what I've heard, the CHI-IaCty-DSM-OMA route would ultimately become the Amtrak route, rather than the current route, if this comes to fruition.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:You have one thing going for Iowa that Nebraska doesn't have... The Iowa Interstate Railroad:
Which is the old Rock Island line, for those that remember the Rock

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Culver rides to push expanded rail
Gov. Chet Culver is hitting the rails again to push for expanded passenger rail service in Iowa. . . .

Culver and Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn are expected to sit down at the summit to discuss proposed routes from Chicago to Dubuque and Chicago to Iowa City. Current proposals call for the Chicago to Iowa City route to expand to Des Moines and points further west. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Amtrak delays Iowa train study
Amtrak has derailed plans for a study on passenger train service between Des Moines to Chicago.

The study was expected to be completed this year. It will now be at least a year before the study is done, Amtrak said. . . .

Magliari said it makes sense to get the service to Iowa City, then study the extension to Des Moines.

Amtrak delays Des Moines train study for year
Plans for a study needed to revive Des Moines-to-Chicago passenger train service have been put on a side track at least until next year, state officials say.

But Amtrak passenger train service to Dubuque and the Quad Cities appears likely in about two years. . . .

Meanwhile, Iowa DOT officials plan to jump-start research on Des Moines train service by hiring a consultant to complete key parts of the feasibility study for Amtrak.

Des Moines hasn't had regularly scheduled passenger train service since May 31, 1970, when the Rock Island Lines' Chicago-Council Bluffs Cornbelt Rocket ceased operations.

Mayor Frank Cownie said Thursday he wants the Amtrak study for Des Moines passenger service to be completed as quickly as possible. He said it's important to Amtrak to provide service to the Des Moines area because it is a major Iowa population center, and he favors extending the line westward to Council Bluffs. . . .

Despite the delay for Des Moines, Amtrak service between Chicago and Dubuque and Chicago and the Quad Cities should become a reality, possibly as soon as 2011, said Richard Harnish, executive director of the Midwest High-Speed Rail Association, a nonprofit Chicago advocacy group.

Harnish said Thursday that Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn's signing of a $31 billion capital construction package last week will provide money to ensure the rail expansion happens. . . .

The proposed Des Moines train would make two round trips daily to Chicago at a top speed of 79 mph, passing through Newton, Iowa City and the Quad Cities.

Iowa officials have roughly estimated it would cost $106 million to upgrade tracks between Iowa City and Des Moines to accommodate passenger trains.

The expense of improving the entire stretch between Iowa City and Omaha is estimated at $291 million. Trains would run on the Iowa Interstate Railroad. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

If AMTRAK is consistent, a Des Moines to Council Bluffs study won't be done until Des Moines service is started.

According to an article in Progressive Railroading, the Chicago - Omaha route isn't among the Midwest Regional Railroad coalition's high priorities. The plan only offers 79mph service across Iowa. The 'Cities' Streamliners operated by MILW-UP-SP regularly exceeded that speed in the 1950's.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... p?id=20806

I'd like to think we can eventually get to 110mph passenger service between Omaha and Chicago, but that will require a large investment in

1. Track - Iowa Interstate speed limits are 35mph or less over much of the line between Omaha and Des Moines. There will also need to be places for higher speed passenger trains to pass slower freight trains. Depending on train frequency double track could be needed over parts of the line -- something that disappeared 50+ years ago when the railroads exited the passenger business.

2. Signals - Federal regulations require an automated signal system to stop trains before operation in excess of 79mph which includes systems to be installed in all equipment operating over the line. That doesn't exist on the Iowa Interstate. The systems in place in the 1950's for passenger service were scrapped shortly after the abandonment of passenger service. New systems like 'Positive Train Control' are becoming ready for Beta testing but there are doubts about deployment before 2015.

To get 150mph+, truly high-speed, passenger rail service probably requires electrification of the line -- something only in place in the Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington corridor today. I do agree with those (Nebraska Republicans and Democrats) who believe that it is a long way off in the future for Chicago to Omaha passenger rail over a 150mph+ electrified line. The likely candidates for first funding are in the Washington DC to Sunbelt cities (Richmond VA, Atlanta GA), Chicago-Milwaukee/St Louis/Detroit, and California rail corridors.

I would still be happy to have 110 mph service that could get me to Chicago in 6 hours by rail. It sounds like AMTRAK is going to need to be nudged to think beyond Iowa City and Des Moines. I hope Chet Culver doesn't forget that part of Iowa is west of Des Moines. I'd like to see Nebraska's governor, congressmen, and Omaha's mayor at least give lip-service to support a 79mph passenger rail service between Omaha and Chicago.

Track and maintenance facilities, equipment, signals -- just because the Iowa Interstate line is there, the effort to bring back passenger rail isn't much easier than getting a badly needed streetcar system in Omaha.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for all that info.

I just don't see why the country (government) won't just mobilize to get our country caught up to the rest of the developed world when it comes to train service. Why can't we just start to update track, install signals, and electrify our country's rail network akin to the massive effort to get the interstate system up and functioning in the 1950 and 60s???
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

From today's Omaha World Herald:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20090726/N ... 79962/1009

There Chet Culver goes again, making our Nebraska "leaders" look like absolute fools. I cannot BELIEVE that our governor and Omaha's mayor are not at least VOICING their support for this.

I did notice that in this article from the OWH, they call it what it is and say that the route would eventually be extended to OMAHA. The DM Register said it could be extended to "Council Bluffs".  Get over yourself, Iowa. Council Bluffs is not the hub of western Iowa. Just stop shitting yourself and say OMAHA.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:From today's Omaha World Herald:

There Chet Culver goes again, making our Nebraska "leaders" look like absolute fools. I cannot BELIEVE that our governor and Omaha's mayor are not at least VOICING their support for this.

I did notice that in this article from the OWH, they call it what it is and say that the route would eventually be extended to OMAHA. The DM Register said it could be extended to "Council Bluffs".  Get over yourself, Iowa. Council Bluffs is not the hub of western Iowa. Just stop |expletive| yourself and say OMAHA.
so the hub of western iowa is in nebraska? :;):  I know council bluffs is part of the Omaha metro, but come on--they're talking about just Iowa specifically.  :)
Go Cubs Go
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

thenewguy wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:From today's Omaha World Herald:

I did notice that in this article from the OWH, they call it what it is and say that the route would eventually be extended to OMAHA. The DM Register said it could be extended to "Council Bluffs".  Get over yourself, Iowa. Council Bluffs is not the hub of western Iowa. Just stop |expletive| yourself and say OMAHA.
so the hub of western iowa is in nebraska? :;):  I know council bluffs is part of the Omaha metro, but come on--they're talking about just Iowa specifically.  :)
And, really, I don't necessarily think it's a shoo-in that Omaha would be the defacto terminus for the rail line.  It costs a lot of money to get a train over a bridge into another state.  It should go without saying, but Omaha/Nebraska leadership needs to get movin to ensure that it DOES stop in Omaha (at Burlington Station?) instead of CB.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

I'd be the last to praise the work of an OWH reporter, but good work by the OWH yesterday. The article included an actual explanation of what is meant by High Speed Rail. Maybe a disappointment to anyone thinking TGV or Bullet Train speeds of 150 mph on a Chicago to Omaha route. Still, better to be honest about what HSR really is.

More passenger rail for Iowa?

www.omaha.com wrote:"The state's plan relies on funding from the High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Program. The name of the federal program is a bit of a misnomer because it will divide the $8 billion into three segments: actual high-speed rail, with top speeds of 150 mph; conventional rail, called Intercity Passenger Rail; and congestion grants, which would add tracks to reduce delays in heavily traveled intercity rail corridors.
The Federal Railroad Administration hasn't specified the breakdown of the $8 billion.

The rail lines being proposed in Iowa won't feature speeds seen in Japan, parts of Europe or even the Amtrak express lines between Boston and Washington, D.C. Instead, trains would travel at top speeds of 79 mph across improved tracks. That means passengers would make the Iowa City-Chicago trek in about five hours.

Kliewer, of the Midwest Passenger Rail Commission, said the region considered high-speed rail years ago but figured the time saved wouldn't be worth the money spent.

Even at the lower speeds, travel by rail would be faster than by car because passengers could avoid traffic and arrive in the heart of downtown Chicago, train supporters argue. Business passengers also could work during the trip rather than watch the road.

The planned Iowa City-to-Chicago route would feature two daily round trips between the cities and would carry 187,000 passengers annually, according to an Amtrak feasibility study. Most of the line to Dubuque would be in Illinois, and depending on the route, officials estimate the daily round trip would see annual ridership of between 44,000 and 74,000."

Omaha and Nebraska should at least willing to shoulder the cost of operating from Council Bluffs into Burlington Station. Why wouldn't you bring passenger service to the heart of a metro area? I notice Iowa is not letting the Chicago-Dubuque service terminate in East Dubuque Illinois. And two round-trips per day should be a minimum frequency.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Newguy and Tuna,

I just mean that, even if the terminus is in CB (and I hope it DOES extend to Omaha), the train will be serving OMAHA, just as many major cities' airports are not technically IN that city.

It just REALLY ticks me off the way Iowa, whose capital is Des Moines, which is obviously a rival to Omaha, consistently skews things so as to minimize the importance of Omaha and to play up the importance of "its own".

i.e. West-bound interstate signage throughout Iowa, which gives mileage to Council Bluffs in stead of Omaha, and when it does mention Omaha, it says "Omaha Neb." like it's some small town people haven't heard of.

It REALLY frustrates me anytime I'm traveling west on 80 through Iowa.

And YES, the hub of Western Iowa IS in Nebraska, just as Washington D.C. is the hub of southern Maryland and Northern Virginia, St. Louis is the hub of southwestern Illinois, and KCMO is the hub of eastern Kansas.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

mrdwhsr,

I totally agree. I can't believe that Mayor Suttle and "Governor" Heinemen haven't at least nominally supported this.

How is it Omaha could not secure federal transportation stimulus money to help pay for the study and to extend the service into DTO at Burlington Station???

It's like our local governments haven't caught on that there is federal money for the taking right now.

The article mentioned that 40 states had submitted requests for rail transportation funding. That means Nebraska is on the Short Bus with the other 9 "special" states who don't know what the |expletive| they are doing.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Newguy and Tuna,

I just mean that, even if the terminus is in CB (and I hope it DOES extend to Omaha), the train will be serving OMAHA, just as many major cities' airports are not technically IN that city.

It just REALLY ticks me off the way Iowa, whose capital is Des Moines, which is obviously a rival to Omaha, consistently skews things so as to minimize the importance of Omaha and to play up the importance of "its own".

i.e. West-bound interstate signage throughout Iowa, which gives mileage to Council Bluffs in stead of Omaha, and when it does mention Omaha, it says "Omaha Neb." like it's some small town people haven't heard of.

It REALLY frustrates me anytime I'm traveling west on 80 through Iowa.

And YES, the hub of Western Iowa IS in Nebraska, just as Washington D.C. is the hub of southern Maryland and Northern Virginia, St. Louis is the hub of southwestern Illinois, and KCMO is the hub of eastern Kansas.
Streets, you need to ease up, we've discussed this several years back why the westbound signs give mileage to C.B. rather than Omaha, it's the way interstate signage is, it's not a sinister plot to 'diss Omaha.  Whether the terminus is in CB or not, you're right, it will serve the Omaha metro, and I don't think anyone really disputes that, but as of now, the DSM Register is correctly stating where the terminus will be, as there is no current support from Nebraska in extending the line across the river.  I strongly urge you (and everyone else) to lobby City and State leaders to get on board (pardon the pun) with the rail plan.

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Icejammer, I pay VERY close attention to the interstate signage, and how "OMAHA" is treated in Iowa is NOT "just how interstate signage is." I'll find some examples because there are some sites that show all the interstate signs in each state.

In Des Moines, there are literally signs that say "MINNEAPOLIS," "KANSAS CITY," and "COUNCIL BLUFFS". Why not say "BLOOMINGTON," "INDEPENDENCE," and "COUNCIL BLUFFS" since the hub cities, for which these cities are metro cities, are all out of state. People can just infer what major city is in the direction they're going.

Maybe, in Omaha, our eastbound I-80 signage should say "URBANDALE" in stead of "DES MOINES."

I don't mean to derail this thread too much, but I take note of it, and it seems really blatant to me.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

If you want to continue your beef with the interstate signage, let's take the discussion over here and leave it out of this thread, please:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=645[quote][/quote]

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think it applies to this discussion, but I didn't mean to derail the thread.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I think it applies to this discussion, but I didn't mean to derail the thread.
Buh-dum chhh.... :;):
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

mrdwhsr wrote: Omaha and Nebraska should at least willing to shoulder the cost of operating from Council Bluffs into Burlington Station. Why wouldn't you bring passenger service to the heart of a metro area? I notice Iowa is not letting the Chicago-Dubuque service terminate in East Dubuque Illinois. And two round-trips per day should be a minimum frequency.
The Dubuque-Chicago trains may be extended further west to serve the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area.

About the train stops, I would assume that the IDOT will ensure a stop in Council Bluffs, as Iowa will be funding a portion of it from Des Moines to CB.  In Illinois, the train stop for the Quad Cities will be in Moline, not Davenport (which is twice the size of Moline).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I SO wish Omaha/Nebraska would chip in and be a PARTICIPANT in this process, ensuring that the line extends into Omaha. Regardless, having service at least to CB will be AMAZING. Obviously there can always be extensions in the future.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:
mrdwhsr wrote: Omaha and Nebraska should at least willing to shoulder the cost of operating from Council Bluffs into Burlington Station. Why wouldn't you bring passenger service to the heart of a metro area? I notice Iowa is not letting the Chicago-Dubuque service terminate in East Dubuque Illinois. And two round-trips per day should be a minimum frequency.
The Dubuque-Chicago trains may be extended further west to serve the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area.

About the train stops, I would assume that the IDOT will ensure a stop in Council Bluffs, as Iowa will be funding a portion of it from Des Moines to CB.  In Illinois, the train stop for the Quad Cities will be in Moline, not Davenport (which is twice the size of Moline).
I can remember riding the Rock Island passenger train and the stop was in Moline 40+ years ago as well.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Gotta go all the way down to the bottom for this....

Omaha makes flight-delays list
Omaha is in the top 40 in a new study, but not in a good way.

The Omaha metropolitan area ranked as the 38th worst for flight delays out of the country's 100 largest metro areas, according to a report on air traffic.

But the report's authors say flight delays are mostly beyond the control of medium-size cities such as Omaha.

Delays have grown across the country and tend to be concentrated in the largest metropolitan areas. That's bad news for airports such as Eppley Airfield, which are fed by hub airports in major cities. . . .
Here's the good part
. . . The report encourages the development of high-speed rail service to ease air traffic — especially as a replacement for airline routes of under 500 miles. Report co-author Adie Tomer said that even if Omaha weren't directly tied to Chicago by high-speed rail, connecting Chicago to other major Midwestern cities would lessen air traffic for the whole region.

The federal stimulus package set aside $8 billion for high-speed rail service, and competition among cities and states for the money has been fierce. The State of Iowa has submitted several proposals, including rail lines envisioned between Chicago and Dubuque and between Chicago and Iowa City

--William Jennings Bryan
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

High speed rail between Chicago and................... Dubuque?  Iowa City?  Someone in the Iowa Congressional delegation has some clout.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

ricko wrote:High speed rail between Chicago and................... Dubuque?  Iowa City?  Someone in the Iowa Congressional delegation has some clout.
Orrrrrrrr, it could just be that those existing rail lines require the least amount of upgrades to get them into shape for passenger rail, which is why further extensions of the lines are a few years down the road.

--William Jennings Bryan
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Not to mention the proximity to Chicago. You'd want as many "tentacles" coming out of Chicago as possible. I'm all for it, Iowa's leadership sadly is probably the only way Omaha will see higher speed rail, because Nebraska is incompetent.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

ricko wrote:High speed rail between Chicago and................... Dubuque?  Iowa City?  Someone in the Iowa Congressional delegation has some clout.
          79mph Chicago to Iowa City, Chicago Dubuque. At least for the first phase. They're working on 110mph Chicago - Detroit, Chicago - Minneapolis, and Chicago - St Louis..where they already have mostly 79mph limits. Those are pretty much the limits for diesel powered rail-passenger service. UP's Challenger can hit speeds over 100mph (until Steve Lee shoots the guy that opens the throttle all the way). It has already been proven that freight and passenger trains can safely share right-of-way at speeds up to 110mph.

Speeds over 110mph like Japan's Bullet or the TGV will require electrification (at several million per mile) and separation of freight and passenger rail. That is probably cost effective in California and the Boston/Washington corridor today. I don't expect TGV style passenger rail in Omaha in my life time, but I'm a geezer. I'd settle for 79mph. I'm ready to buy a round-trip ticket when it happens.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

79 MPH is much too slow. That's approximately how fast many people drive on the interstates. The only advantage would be that you can sleep on the way to your destination. Otherwise, as far as a time factor goes, you might as well just drive...it could even be quicker depending on the amount of stations along the way and how long in advance you should be at the station before departure.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:79 MPH is much too slow. That's approximately how fast many people drive on the interstates. The only advantage would be that you can sleep on the way to your destination. Otherwise, as far as a time factor goes, you might as well just drive...it could even be quicker depending on the amount of stations along the way and how long in advance you should be at the station before departure.
Agreed. Not to mention the stops in cities to load/unload passengers. They should all shoot for the 110 MPH at least.