680 Closure???

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

680 Closure???

Post by Brad »

Seriously???  We have known for how long that the South Omaha Bridge would be closed and we wait until 2 weeks after and close the Mormon Bridge???  That makes absolutely ZERO sense.  Its going to seriously Suck getting in to Omaha that week with 50% of your routes closed.

And how about that detour?  Drive to Blair to get to Crescent?  I suppose if you were going on 680 to DSM or 29  to Sioux City, but otherwise that's one heck of a detour.

680 Closure!

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/58533507.html
www.wowt.com wrote:Crossing the Missouri River in the metro is to get even more difficult. Transportation authorities are advising people to be prepared for another closure!

The Iowa Department of Transportation says eastbound traffic on Interstate 680 will be closed on the Mormon Bridge between September 21 & 26, weather permitting. The closure is necessary for bridge inspections.

Westbound traffic will not be affected.

A detour will be set up at the eastbound 48th street exit taking traffic north on Highway 75 and east on Highway 30 through Blair.

This week, the South Omaha Veterans Memorial Bridge was closed so crews can prepare demolishing the old bridge. A new one will take its place.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

glad i went to south dakota last weekend.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Re: 680 Closure???

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:Its going to seriously Suck getting in to Omaha that week with 50% of your routes closed.
www.wowt.com wrote:Westbound traffic will not be affected.
No, it will be getting OUT of Omaha that will be a headache. All the Iowans are going to get trapped here!

I HAVE noticed a lot of backups on eastbound I-80 at I-480 and points east. I'm sure part of that is South Omaha Bridge's traffic.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:Its going to seriously Suck getting in to Omaha that week with 50% of your routes closed.
www.wowt.com wrote:Westbound traffic will not be affected.
No, it will be getting OUT of Omaha that will be a headache. All the Iowans are going to get trapped here!

I HAVE noticed a lot of backups on eastbound I-80 at I-480 and points east. I'm sure part of that is South Omaha Bridge's traffic.

S Omaha bridge has been fully closed for days.  There are routinely backups on 80 EB no matter what is going on as it crosses into Iowa.  As for 480,  Not sure, don't get there often at the "backup" time of day.  Not saying that the SO bridge doesn't effect it but it is by far the only factor.  Routinely see I80 back up going into Iowa late in the afternoon to 24th street and beyond.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I HAVE noticed a lot of backups on eastbound I-80 at I-480 and points east. I'm sure part of that is South Omaha Bridge's traffic.
Those backups on I-80 were happening well before the Veteran's Memorial Bridge (not South Omaha Bridge) was closed.  The bridge closure has made traffic worse though on I-80, both east-bound and west-bound.  Don't often see traffic backed up on I-480 unless there's an accident.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks guys, but I'm well aware that traffic routinely backs up on I-80. :) I was merely pointing out that the Veterans' Bridge closure has no doubt affected it, if in a small way.

Rush hour traffic out of Downtown on 480 ALWAYS backs up as it merges onto WB 80.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Rush hour traffic out of Downtown on 480 ALWAYS backs up as it merges onto WB 80.

I guess I was talking about 480 into/out of Iowa, I avoid 480 to 80 WB at all cost due to that backup.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

North Omaha Bridge to close on Sept. 30th.

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

Heads Up!
Got word awhile back that I-680 going over the Missouri River into Iowa will close for Bridge work (North Omaha Bridge) starting Sept. 30th. Detours will be marked. Traffic will have to detour off I-680 at 48th Street up U.S. Highway 75 up through Blair then east towards Mo valley then back to I-29.
Allan Love Jr
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad already noted that over here:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9261

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am hearing the West bound Mormon bridge has been closed.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm I am hearing the West bound Mormon bridge has been closed.
They said it was a deck failure.