Showin some LUV for spring

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Showin some LUV for spring

Post by NovakOmaha »

According to the Southwest Airlines Blog and news on its web site, Southwest is adding some flights for Eppley next spring, to Chicago and Vegas (Bringing MDW back to 6 daily and LAS back to 3), and it's bringing back Saturday only service to Orlando.  They did that a while ago & then stopped it.
Maybe this time they will keep it and maybe even expand it.  Southwest has been growing well this year in OMA.  Maybe with a concerted effort from Southwest fans they will grow service and frequency.
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Yes you're right, still down 1x trip to PHX compared to last year though.  Last year was 3x daily and now this year is 2x daily.  Put the planes where they make money though.  

I would bet that OMA-MSP will be coming our way in within 2 years max...fingers crossed for next summer.  This is a flight that would boost traffic at Eppley because most drive right now due to very high fares on NW/DL.  

The only other flight that would do wonders to help the passenger count is OMA-ATL on Airtran.  Delta charges crazy prices for this flight and it causes a ton of bleed to Kansas City or people just don't fly because of the price.  Weekdays routinely around $1,000 roundtrip.  

Thank goodness that Southwest added OMA-DEN last fall.  The amount of passengers traveling to Denver by plane has doubled since prices came down with Southwest now in the market.  That move alone was the sole reason that Omaha didn't see 10%+ drops in passenger traffic like other midwestern cities did.  Timing couldn't have been better!!  Now if we could only get the other two mention above (MSP on southwest and ATL on Airtran), we'd have gone a very long way towards maxing out the potential.  Short of flights to places like LAX, SFO, MCO (daily) and Seattle.  These wouldn't boost traffic that much because fares are already reasonable and most just connect now.  Sure would be really nice though!!  

LAX, SFO and IAD on United would all be money makers for them too!  United, give us a chance with the 70 seat regional jets!  The new airport director at Eppley should go after all of these VERY strongly.  A little marketing incentives and some reduced landing fees for the first year would no doubt in my mind bring these flights around.  It would do wonders for the city in the long term and really help out the Qwest Center get additional conventions!  I think everyone would be simply amazed at what a few hundred thousand thrown at an airline can do for a city for decades to come!!!  Anybody with any connections to Eppley?  Put a HUGE plug in for me!!!!  Maybe I'll even write a letter about this to them.  Take a lesson from Des Moines.