Boyd and Charlies BBQ

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

Boyd and Charlies BBQ

Post by choke »

Boyd and Charlies BBQ to 60th and Woolworth (old golf place).
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Boyd and Charlies BBQ

Post by bigredmed »

Leaving Elkhorn?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Will they be hiring someone who actually knows how to smoke meat?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Relative that lives in the area told me about it. I also wonder if that means they are leaving Elkhorn? BBQ has a hard time making it in Omaha it seems like and what may be popular in the suburbs may not be so in the city. Look at Parker's Smokehouse.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

choke wrote:Relative that lives in the area told me about it. I also wonder if that means they are leaving Elkhorn? BBQ has a hard time making it in Omaha it seems like and what may be popular in the suburbs may not be so in the city. Look at Parker's Smokehouse.
Parker's would have made it if their service wasn't so terrible...
00libby

Post by 00libby »

I don't think they are leaving Elkhorn. The owner told me they are opening a second location.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

00libby wrote:I don't think they are leaving Elkhorn. The owner told me they are opening a second location.
That will be nice. There are only a few nice restaurants in Elkhorn that are casual enough to go to after a day's activity.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Seeing as the owners own multiple restaurants/bars in Elkhorn I'd be shocked if they left. but glad to hear someone heard from the owner they are staying put.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Re: Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Post by jelizh »

Don't recall the name, but there appears to be a new barbecue place going into the old convenience store by Jonesy's Taco & Tracks. (1420 S 60th St)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are permits for this, so I moved it out of the rumors section.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This place?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:This place?
Correct
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

It’s open!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

HA, I just drove by an hour ago for the first time in apparently the last six months and wondered how long it's been a Boyd and Charlies... Apparently not long!

How are they? I ate their food once maybe five to seven years ago and remembering it not being good enough to drive all the way out to Elkhorn for. Try it again or not? I really like Jim's, but could also see people saying "not good enough to drive all the way to north Omaha for"
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

hatwate wrote:It’s open!
Finally. We tried going there a couple weeks ago assuming it would already be open, but were surprised it wasn't finished yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Checked out the new location of Boyd and Charlie's over the weekend. Place turned out nice. Order out the counter and then sit down and eat. Full bar that had +/-10 beer taps, half were the usual suspects but the other half was local beer! Food was good and we will be back.
omahapiper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahapiper »

The 60th street location is now closed. I drive by it on my way to work every day and noticed them taking the smoker out. I verified by FB message.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

omahapiper wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am The 60th street location is now closed. I drive by it on my way to work every day and noticed them taking the smoker out. I verified by FB message.
Bummer, but I suppose I've never seen much traffic there as they have at their Elkhorn Location. Hopefully this doesn't impact their Elkhorn location as I quite enjoy their food.
No posts exist for this topic
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

MadMartin8 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am
omahapiper wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am The 60th street location is now closed. I drive by it on my way to work every day and noticed them taking the smoker out. I verified by FB message.
Bummer, but I suppose I've never seen much traffic there as they have at their Elkhorn Location. Hopefully this doesn't impact their Elkhorn location as I quite enjoy their food.
Lots of closings recently!

I can't say I'm surprised. I never saw that many cars in the parking lot either. I tried it once, thought it was ok, but nothing special. I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Padre wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 pm
MadMartin8 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am
Lots of closings recently!

I can't say I'm surprised. I never saw that many cars in the parking lot either. I tried it once, thought it was ok, but nothing special. I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't.
I have family in the area and asked them why they were having a rib sale and no takers. They were of the impression that the place sucked hard. Seems they were not in the minority.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

They always have ribs on sale in Elkhorn, pretty sure it's their tuesday special just going off memory. We live close by and like it, their smoked chicken salad is awesome.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We enjoyed their food for the most part, as well as the atmosphere. On a grading scale I would give their food a B-. Worth going to but not worth traveling out of your way to eat there.
The BBQ scene in Omaha is, sadly, rather pathetic.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

It's tough to go up against neighborhood stalwarts like Tracks and Jonesy's. Those places have loyal clientele.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have no idea what type of cuisine is featured at Tracks. But Jonesy’s is a Tex-Mex place, which is a far cry from BBQ.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Tracks has bar food and good chicken. Not BBQ, but both Tracks and Joneseys have a crowd.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:56 pm I have no idea what type of cuisine is featured at Tracks. But Jonesy’s is a Tex-Mex place, which is a far cry from BBQ.
I meant more along the lines of neighborhood appeal. The 3 are a little off the beaten path, and like bigredmed said (fun rhyme) Jonesys and Tracks have neighborhood regulars (myself included). Boyd was never able to grab those customers away and the location wasn't great for pulling in people from outside the neighborhood.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have always had a good experience at Boyd & Charlies in Elkhorn. Was never at the second location.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:27 pm I have always had a good experience at Boyd & Charlies in Elkhorn. Was never at the second location.
I finally made it to the Elkhorn Boyd & Charlies yesterday. I had been to the now closed Omaha location but never the Elkhorn Location. Place was packed but the service was great. Seemed like everyone in our group enjoyed their lunch.