Stiles Pub under Wheatfields??

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

swgiust

Stiles Pub under Wheatfields??

Post by swgiust »

I saw a sign this weekend for "Stiles Pub" on the side of the Old Market Wheatfields.
Arrow points down. New stairs are being constructed. Any details??

Post by Guest »

one of the former owners of foundation bar is opening it. really nice guy and a fun location!
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Saw that this weekend too.  I was wondering if I had been missing something.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anonymous wrote:one of the former owners of foundation bar is opening it. really nice guy and a fun location!
There's already a former owner of The Foundation?
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

Hello Everyone, My name is Andrew Stiles. I am/will be the Owner and Operator of Stiles Public House (1204 Howard St.).

I was originally the third owner of The Foundation @ 1407 Harney St.   My partners bought my share out in July and I immediately began working on starting my own venture.

The space was to be occupied by the owners of 'Beer and Loathing in Dundee'. The building was under renovation much of last year until just recently finishing and because of the renovation taking so long, the other occupants got out of their lease and started a venture in Iowa.

Stiles Public House, or 'Stiles Pub' for short, will have 12 taps, many beers in bottle, and a cocktail/wine list. The space is divided into three sections; Main Bar, Bathrooms, and Venue/Party room. The main bar and bathroom area will be open during regular business hours and the venue will be opened when needed/in use. I plan to have acoustic and jazz music regularly and I'd also like to get a few amateur Stand-up comedy acts in. I am currently battling with the City of Omaha to allow me to have a patio. I'll have a patio, just a matter of where. The main bar area will have low top tables, darts, and a 50 inch plasma screen. The venue side will have a stage, pool table, lounge chairs, low/high top tables and a 100inch projection screen.

Everyone asks me 'What is the theme of the bar?'. My response is usually 'Old English' and then I have people screaming 'Parliament Pub!' at me. It's more rustic and old looking and not as "HERE I AM AND I'M ENGLISH... Kinda.." like Parliament Pub. Nothing against Parliament... just not my style. So there will be no English popstars on my walls and my TV's will not be framed. Very simple and chilled out atmosphere.

I am currently shooting for a middle to end of next month opening date. Originally planned for new years.... take it up with City Permits for why I didn't.

I don't have any hard feelings with the Foundation. I still go in from time to time to visit and have a great beer with my philly.

If you have any questions please ask here or become a fan on http://www.facebook.com/stilespub

Thanks!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Andrew. Great to hear of another nice venue and bar in the Old Market!
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

No problem!
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

I also should suggest moving this into 'urban developement'.... since it's not so much a rumor anymore.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I will move it into Dining Entertainment. I hope you will carry Lucky Bucket! I just got great news today - a local store is carrying Abita Springs Turbodog - one of the best microbrews in the country!  :P
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

I will have Lucky Bucket and I will have a few Abita beers in stock. Having opened a craft beer bar (The Foundation) I have a great appreciation for beer. In fact almost half of my beers on tap will be rotating!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That sounds great Andrew. Zac at LB is a friend of mine - so I try to promote LB as much as possible. If you haven't tried Turbodog - I suggest you consider it :TURBODOG IS THE BIG DOG IN NATIONAL MAGAZINE Another would be a relatively unknown New Belgium's 1554 - a recipe they discovered in Germany that dates from 1554. If that is what they brewed back then - no wonder the German's knew their beers!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is all great news.  We love Myth, on Howard St., because it is a relaxing "chill" bar.  And this will be another nice addition to the OM.
BTW, the owner of Myth is planning on opening a second bar, in the basement, that would feature a 1930s Prohibition era theme.  Sort of a speakeasy atmosphere.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nativeomahan wrote:BTW, the owner of Myth is planning on opening a second bar, in the basement, that would feature a 1930s Prohibition era theme.  Sort of a speakeasy atmosphere.
If they do it right, that could be |expletive| awesome.
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

I have spoken to Brian (owner of myth) about that. He's looking to either go downstairs or upstairs with the concept. All depends on if a tenant leaves his building to what I understand. I had spoken to him about my concept not even 2 days before signing the lease. He was very supportive. Great guy!

My concept has a bit more of a 'regular bar' feel as opposed to his lounge style. I will also have a larger focus on wine and beer BUT I am a cocktail fanatic so I will impose that as much as I can on my customers  :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yes, we will be able to "graze" back and forth across Howard St.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Please do the live music!

If there is one thing missing in the Old Market, it's live music. My
wife and I love the Cigar bar, except for the smoking. Dubliner is
great, but a tad roudy.

Good luck!
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

I personally love live music and have built a stage for it. I plan for that stage to get some serious use.
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

Mr. Stiles,
I hope your pub does well; sounds like a cool place.
We designed the website for Bloc12, let me know if you are in need of your own website and we can set-up a time to talk.
Thanks,
Chad Eacker
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

I'm not looking to have a website YET. Facebook is doing most of the work for now. Whenever I feel the need to get a website I will let you know. Bloc12 website looks amazing!
StilesPub
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StilesPub »

Check out http://www.facebook.com/stilespub for updates on construction, liquor license process, etc!
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Stiles Pub under Wheatfields??

Post by nebugeater »

RIP Stiles Bar

They just posted this on their Facebook page.
Hello Everyone,
Due to, somewhat, unforeseen circumstances Stiles Bar is closed permanently. It was a bit of a shock to us too. We started the creation of this place almost 5 years ago exactly. We have since been blessed with many great patrons. We have had couples who had met at Stiles that are now married. 100's of Bachelorette Parties, 1000's of groups of friends walking down the street yelling "Let's go to Stiles!!", and smiling people trying one of our cocktails for the first time are just some of the great memories I will keep with me.
Thank you all for making the last five years something my employees and I will never forget. We appreciate each and every one of you that walked down the stairs and came through our door.
Good Bye Everybody!
-Andrew Stiles
https://www.facebook.com/stilesbar?fref=nf

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Dang, such a cool basement bar. Hopefully someone else can step in and keep it a bar.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I will never get dragged to that crappy bar by out of town friends that don't know any better ever again.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There were a couple of pretty neg comments about the place on the replies to this announcement on Facebook when I posted this. Going back now it looks like they have been removed.

So for those that whet there, I never did, what do you think did it in?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They said their lease wasn't renewed by the landlord. I never understood the insane asylum white paint, it also smelled wet(yes I know its a basement) just had a few too many poor experiences here. Everclear jello shot specials is kind of when a bar jumps the shark IMO, but I am sure others like that sort of thing.

Hope the owners can make something work if they still have a market for this type of place. I a excited for the potential of something different in the space though.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:They said their lease wasn't renewed by the landlord. I never understood the insane asylum white paint, it also smelled wet(yes I know its a basement) just had a few too many poor experiences here. Everclear jello shot specials is kind of when a bar jumps the shark IMO, but I am sure others like that sort of thing.

Hope the owners can make something work if they still have a market for this type of place. I a excited for the potential of something different in the space though.
An everclear jello shot special is not appropriate for anY self respecting establishment.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm sad it didn't work out but when I was there the bartender was unfriendly and not helpful when I asked questions about their beer selection. When I asked for something similar to a Blue Moon she served me a Guinness...WOW?
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

http://www.omaha.com/go/things-we-re-lo ... 9fca2.html
Ethan Bondelid of The Berry & Rye, Wicked Rabbit and House of Loom will open a new tiki bar at 1204 Howard St. Bondelid said the menu will include original drinks created by his existing bar staff, as well as classic tiki drinks and group cocktails. The bar, which is still unnamed, will open this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

He has hinted at this for the past few weeks now... Good to see the OWH pick this up..
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

"Laka-Lono" Liquor license before city council.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was a guy at the art fair this weekend that said he was building and extensive amount of rocks (Like all the man made rocks at the zoo) inside this new bar.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Post this on their still active Facebook page this morning
Attachments
stiles.JPG
stiles.JPG (95.19 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I agree that would be very awesome. I'd love to see a some kind of pub down there or maybe a mini restaurant.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Laka Lono is such a better bar than Stiles ever was. Does anyone actually want Stiles back?
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Laka Lono is an awesome bar. If you haven't been there, you should go.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

swgiust wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am Laka Lono is an awesome bar. If you haven't been there, you should go.
It's fun and unique for sure, but be prepared to spend some cash.