Re: Tanners 173 & Center (former Twin Peaks & Famous Dave's)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Tanners 173 & Center (former Twin Peaks & Famous Dave's)

Post by nebugeater »

The Famous Dave's @ 171 & W Center is closing and will be replaced by March with a small chain called Twin Peaks.  In The OWH print copy this AM but not found on line at least yet.  This Twin Peaks is not based on the old TV show.  Sports bar/ comfort food mix.  Think of the "peaks" more along the lines of a Hooters, or so I discovered after taking a look at their web site.  Plan to be open by March before the Basketball tournament.

http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Why is Famous Dave's closing?  That location always had a healthy sized crowd.  Are they moving to a better location?
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TechnicalDisaster wrote:Why is Famous Dave's closing?  That location always had a healthy sized crowd.  Are they moving to a better location?

The OWH story in printed stated that FD people said that the crowds had dropped off after the opening of other locations.  Also pointed out that this was the first FD location in Omaha.  I am guessing the biggest impact would be the one on L street across from L Street market place.  The said no other closing would be taking place and that there is the possibility of additional TP locations in Omaha in the future.
Last edited by nebugeater on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm not going to complain. I took the picture below when I was in Texas last. All 7 of those lovely young ladies came back with me to my hotel room. That is a true, factual story.

"Twin Peaks," more like boobies.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here is a Cutchall release.  Looks like they are coming to Lincoln too.

http://www.cutchallmanagement.com/

And now on Omaha.com

http://omaha.com/article/20110114/GO/701149945
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:..................Cutchall said business at the West Center spot declined after two other Famous Dave's eateries opened in northwest and southwest Omaha. Those two and three others that he owns in Omaha, Council Bluffs and Bellevue will remain open, he said.

Cutchall described Twin Peaks as a hunting and fishing lodge-style restaurant and sports bar offering from-scratch comfort foods (think chicken-fried steak, pot roast and meatloaf), plenty of TVs and service from an all-female waitstaff. He said he's aiming to open it in mid-March, in time for college basketball's March Madness, and may eventually open others in the Omaha area.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Famous Dave's is good (for a chain) but jeesh, they're becoming as ubiquitous as Starbucks!

They're actually all over Las Vegas now. I even saw one in Orange County.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Here I was going to make a boob joke...  Guess they beat me to it.  I'll have to take the kids to check it out .   :yes:
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

nebugeater wrote:
TechnicalDisaster wrote:Why is Famous Dave's closing?  That location always had a healthy sized crowd.  Are they moving to a better location?

The OWH story in printed stated that FD people said that the crowds had dropped off after the opening of other locations.  Also pointed out that this was the first FD location in Omaha.  I am guessing the biggest impact would be the one on L street across from L Street market place.  The said no other closing would be taking place and that there is the possibility of additional TP locations in Omaha in the future.
Thanks for the info. :)
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
camps
New to the Neighborhood

Post by camps »

We inadvertently went there to eat on their last day, last Sunday.  The staff was a bit destitute.  The Assistant Manager waited on us due to some of the other wait staff not showing up.  He proceeded to tell us that the main reason they were closing that location of Famous Daves was that it needs a new concrete floor, which will cost $50k to put in.  Since Cutchall has to close it down and put a new floor in anyway, apparently he decided why not just redecorate and rebrand while its closed and hire a bunch of scantily clad girls?  (Seems like his M.O.)  The manager said some staff were offered positions at the 72nd & Military location (the 120th & L location is fully staffed), but only one or two accepted since its quite a ways away from that location.  They were also told that volume wasn't what it was before the 120th location opened, but that they still had 15-30 min waits on weekend nights, so the volume wasn't down that much and the location was still viable.  Apparently a glorified Hooters is more important.  I bet the new place is closed or something else by Halloween.
Omaha Restaurant Examiner
New to the Neighborhood

Twin Peaks Restaurant is now open.

Post by Omaha Restaurant Examiner »

What is your take on the new Twin Peaks Restaurant?

http://www.examiner.com/restaurant-in-o ... restaurant
insider
New to the Neighborhood

Post by insider »

Ok, if I told you that a new place opened with the coldest beer in town, food that was all made from scratch and had tons of tvs would you go? Heck ya, the gals are the icing on the cake. It will be around a long time.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

My husband went and said the food was good. He also said they had huge mozzarella sticks, which we call cheese twinkies (b/c they are the size of twinkies) so I'm all for going to check that out.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I'm wondering how many West O families walk into the place thinking its just like a Famous Dave's type place.

When I was back int town last week and drove by there is really nothing that says we have half naked waitresses in here (which is not a bad thing).

It took my mom about 15 minutes to realize why they call it Twin Peaks and why they have Great Views on the outside of the restaurant after I told her the concept of the restaurant.

I'm sure one or two families have walked in thinking it was a family type place and found Hooters version 2.0.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm picturing all of these husbands knowing full well the place serves titties, as$ and beer, luring their wives and children into the restaurant under the pretense that they thought it was a "family" restaurant, too. Because I would do that. And I would probably attempt it multiple times.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anyone old enough and around at the time to remember the sh!tstorm when Hooters opened?
Stable genius.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Big E wrote:Anyone old enough and around at the time to remember the sh!tstorm when Hooters opened?
I'm definitely old enough, but don't remember that. I do however remember people losing their sh!t for a couple of years when Dr John's opened. Where are they now?
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I am actually eating here as we speak. I must say the food is really good. Happy hour is daily from 4-7 which is basically $1 off drafts and wells.  The waitresses are all attractive and were very friendly. At 630 the place was about 90% full
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The food was good and the server talent level was high.  They are doing some impressive things with women's undergarments these days.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:  They are doing some impressive things with women's undergarments these days.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Twin Peaks replacing Famous Dave's Location on W Center

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Went to(got dragged) Twin Peaks for lunch on Presidents day. Once you get past the scantily clad women wreaking of body lotion this place aint bad. I ordered the sirloin steak along with a fry and a salad for 17 bucks. My salad was great and better then most places. My steak and fries were very good to. These kinds of places are not really my thing but I have to say after eating here a few times that this place serves pretty good food.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I heard that the one in Lincoln went out of business.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nativeomahan wrote:I heard that the one in Lincoln went out of business.
I ate at the one in Lincoln in mid December 2015 and the waitress said the owners were changing it to a Yowies in January because they were looking for a more family friendly atmosphere. I walked by it back ion January and it looked like the only difference was the sign was changed and the waitresses uniforms were different. This location is right in the middle of the Haymarket and you know the rent for this space is through the roof. Bad parking does not help either.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I got dragged to Twin Peaks not that long ago, a Friday evening after work thing. I was expecting a Hooters clone but it was more like a Hooters clone with much better food. Still, there were a whole bunch of guys at the bar drinking and kinda looking around like they were wondering where all of the ladies are. :) :)

I was also dragged to Hooters once. The daughter of a former client worked there. It was very OK. {twirling index finger}

As for Twin Peaks, the food was good but there's much better food across the parking lot at Oscars!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I heard that the one in Lincoln went out of business.
I ate at the one in Lincoln in mid December 2015 and the waitress said the owners were changing it to a Yowies in January because they were looking for a more family friendly atmosphere. I walked by it back ion January and it looked like the only difference was the sign was changed and the waitresses uniforms were different. This location is right in the middle of the Haymarket and you know the rent for this space is through the roof. Bad parking does not help either.

The Lincoln location closed in late December. There is mention of it here along with a link to their plans for the space.

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13454
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Twin Peaks Omaha does have good food, great tv's and excellent service even when busy. I go every three weeks or so and do not remember the last time my drink went empty.

Twin Peaks Lincoln was very different. Service was so bad that we walked out without getting a drink or service 2 of the 5 times I went with 2 other bad experiences. I believe their main reason was that they did not want to pay the franchise fee. Breastaurants have never worked in Lincoln (Tiled Kilt and their legal issues and Hooters that failed)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:As for Twin Peaks, the food was good but there's much better food across the parking lot at Oscars!

This is very true...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Omababe wrote:As for Twin Peaks, the food was good but there's much better food across the parking lot at Oscars!

This is very true...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Amen on the food at Oscars. I don't mind the burgers at TP though...

That said, there's no scantily clad ladies at Oscars ;)
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Love the wings at Oscar's. I do thing the burgers are better at Twin Peaks.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:Love the wings at Oscar's. I do thing the burgers are better at Twin Peaks.

Greg

There's something about the burgers at TP. Horribly greasy, but I think that's what makes them so good.

It's weird.
No posts exist for this topic
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Twin Peaks will not be opening back up. They always seemed busy especially for sporting events so I wonder what happened. Time to get a Tilted Kilt.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Not to make a new thread, but the Valentinos on 108th & O-ish is closed too, it was the last buffet option location. All the rest are delivery or carry out..
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Trips wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 am Twin Peaks will not be opening back up. They always seemed busy especially for sporting events so I wonder what happened.
No big loss there imo. Never liked the vibe of the place and the food was meh..

Hopefully a suitable replacement for this prime location will come fairly soon...
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I haven't been to Valentino's much in the last few years, but I always liked that place. I thought the selection was pretty good with pasta, pizza, chicken, salad bar and desert. I think Pizza Ranch is cheaper though and pretty much the same.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm No big loss there imo. Never liked the vibe of the place and the food was meh..
The vibe I always got was "What in the world would any respectable person in the right frame of mind be doing in a place like this." The place is gone and I will never have to deal with somebody dragging me into that place again. That is probably a good thing. Source of aggravation eliminated. I last got dragged in there last May and had not been back in a year. I always got the steak and salad and fries and rings and a couple of beers. The food and steak were surprisingly not to bad. This was no first class steak cooked by a first class chef by any means but it was ok.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm No big loss there imo. Never liked the vibe of the place and the food was meh..
The vibe I always got was "What in the world would any respectable person in the right frame of mind be doing in a place like this." The place is gone and I will never have to deal with somebody dragging me into that place again. That is probably a good thing. Source of aggravation eliminated.
Agreed!.. It’s a prime location spot. Let’s hope a worthy replacement can be found...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Trips wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 am Twin Peaks will not be opening back up. They always seemed busy especially for sporting events so I wonder what happened. Time to get a Tilted Kilt.
In recent years their weekday lunch and dinner crowds have been rather pathetic. I don't think their Friday and Saturday crowds could carry the place. Also, and I'm sure this will offend somebody, the wait staff that's their big draw are a shadow of what they were 5+ years ago. I've never cared for the food there. I always joked that if you're going to Twin Peaks then go eat at Oscar's first and just walk across the parking lot to Twin Peaks for beer and "scenic views" afterwards. I suppose Hooters coming back to Omaha (LA Vista) didn't help.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:01 am
Trips wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 am Twin Peaks will not be opening back up. They always seemed busy especially for sporting events so I wonder what happened. Time to get a Tilted Kilt.
In recent years their weekday lunch and dinner crowds have been rather pathetic. I've never cared for the food there. I always joked that if you're going to Twin Peaks then go eat at Oscar's first and just walk across the parking lot to Twin Peaks for beer
Instead of Twin Peaks, go to Oscar’s for food AND the beer. Oscar’s (was) and is- far, far better.. Especially their wings and pizza...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I gotta say, first Hooters, then Twin Peaks. I'm waiting for even more truth in advertising. Come on down to Nice Rack, where you can get ribs, a bear & check out the Twin Hooters on our waitresses. We live in interesting times.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 pmInstead of Twin Peaks, go to Oscar’s for food AND the beer. Oscar’s (was) and is- far, far better.. Especially their wings and pizza...
Actually, the last time I was in Oscar's, I thought they had slipped, and others in the party thought the same. It may (hopefully) have been a one-off bad night since I have not heard others say the same about it. This was some time ago, and hopefully they will be opening back up, as we do need the independent food and drink purveyors. Oscar's was (and hopefully is) a rose among the thorns.
NovakOmaha wrote:I gotta say, first Hooters, then Twin Peaks. I'm waiting for even more truth in advertising. Come on down to Nice Rack, where you can get ribs, a bear & check out the Twin Hooters on our waitresses. We live in interesting times.
Hey! Sex sells! Always has, always will. Ask anyone who's ever worked in an ad agency.

(LOL, ribs and a bear?) :) :) :) :)

Those places don't, however, seem to have that much as far as longevity.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Omababe wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:34 am
Hey! Sex sells! Always has, always will. Ask anyone who's ever worked in an ad agency.

(LOL, ribs and a bear?) :) :) :) :)

Those places don't, however, seem to have that much as far as longevity.
Sex may attract, but if they don’t have good food, they won’t survive.