Table Grace Cafe

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

derog
Home Owners Association

Table Grace Cafe

Post by derog »

New (or at least new to me) restaurant called Table Grace Cafe opened next to New York Chicken & Gyros on Farnam just west of 16th. Very sparse. The guy shilling some alternative newspaper said he's been eating there twice a day, so you know it's good  :D

Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

This place is actually a very interesting social experiment.  No set menu or pricing.  Come in for food, eat whatever they're serving (usually a pizza, soup, and salad option), pay whatever you feel appropriate/can afford.  If you can't pay, they ask for at least 1 hour of service, waiting tables, washing dishes, etc.  

I really hope the place does well, and that they're not taken advantage of...  I've yet to make it there, but am hoping to shortly.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I saw this a few days ago but wasn't aware of the concept. Interesting.
DTO
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Ben wrote:This place is actually a very interesting social experiment.  No set menu or pricing.  Come in for food, eat whatever they're serving (usually a pizza, soup, and salad option), pay whatever you feel appropriate/can afford.  If you can't pay, they ask for at least 1 hour of service, waiting tables, washing dishes, etc.  

I really hope the place does well, and that they're not taken advantage of...  I've yet to make it there, but am hoping to shortly.
That's really neat!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have heard about this  concept elsewhere.  Wonder if they are a continued success or if there is a cycle that they run.  One of the Food Network Shows did a spot on a place like this too that I saw a while back.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Awesome. Love it.
Need to go there.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Ben wrote:I really hope the place does well, and that they're not taken advantage of.
If they have good food I can see it working. Otherwise, I think it's just a matter of time.
Coyote
City Council

Table Grace Cafe

Post by Coyote »

Is at 1611 1/2 Farnam St. Anyone know about this, or been here?
Our Mission
To foster a healthy community by offering great food prepared and served in a graceful manner to anyone who walks through the door.

Gourmet Pizza, Salad and Soup
no set price
different varieties prepared daily
fresh and organic ingredients when available
no cash register
funded by donation box,
patrons may donate or serve.
10 day work program/referral

Our goal is that everyone regardless of economic status, deserves the chance to eat wonderful food while being treated with respect and dignity.
Brad
City Council

Re: Table Grace Cafe

Post by Brad »

Merged in to the old thread.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Going to take an out of town relative there for lunch. Anyone have a good idea for nearby parking?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

bigredmed wrote:Going to take an out of town relative there for lunch. Anyone have a good idea for nearby parking?
I think there might be a few meters open on 17th st just two blocks to the south near Howard and the Flatiron.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

skinzfan23 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Going to take an out of town relative there for lunch. Anyone have a good idea for nearby parking?
I think there might be a few meters open on 17th st just two blocks to the south near Howard and the Flatiron.
Thanks. Are any of the nearby parking structures open to public or are they all long term lease operations?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The garage at 19th and Harney has public parking I know. I am not sure what the one over 17th has. The OPPD garage has public parking, but it is full a lot.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Thanks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now Serving Omaha:
Table Grace Cafe

No prices, no problem. Downtown Omaha's Table Grace Cafe is a community restaurant with a mission to nourish hungry bodies and souls. "Instead of charging set prices we ask everyone for a free will donation, that way we can serve everyone who comes in," said owner Matt Weber. For people who don't have any money, Table Grace Cafe asks if they want to donate their time to contribute. "They could wash dishes or take out the recycling, even peel a potato if it works out," said Weber. "To be here 12 years without prices on the menu, it is pretty miraculous. We owe it to the support of the entire community."

Table Grace Cafe is closed Wednesdays and Sundays. They're open all other days from 7-2p.m.