Food Trucks

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Big E wrote:Eat the Worm.

When does Billy Frogg's kitchen close?
Upstream serves until midnight Fri and Sat. That's not late late, but it's still a B&M option. And, if you know what you want and order right away, the food is out in about 10 minutes. If you're a few people back in line at Localmotive, you could easily wait that long too.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Leave it to Lincoln business owners to start complaining about this kind of stuff.

Lincoln restaurants should feel threatened, for the most part Lincoln restaraunts suck, not the quality of food at all that Omaha restaraunts produce.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Yeah, we don't mind food trucks, but they should be prevented from competing with us.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote: Also, how many people decide "Should we go eat at a nice sit down restaurant or stand on the street corner and eat out of a brown paper bag"?

I haven't had a chance to eat at one but I agree to me it seems like serving different crowds. Also the weather plays a part. If it is windy rainy etc people will probably go inside

Also if you are afraid a food truck is going to out "food" you then it is probably time to change your menu  :yes:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If there was ever any doubt that Bomb Digs was done roming the streets here is proof.  It is done at least in it's current configuration.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bfs/3623776291.html

Found this on Craigslist.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Food Trucks

Post by iamjacobm »

50th an Center Hy-Vee is in the process of getting a food truck. Plan to use it to go to places like UNMC at lunch time and big events like the CWS. Will be the first for the company.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's getting its first food truck park
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The lot at 11th and Nicholas Streets will play host to Scotty's Go-Go Grill from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m daily. Other trucks, including the Mosaic Pickle, The Sandwich Shop and the 402 BBQ, will park or stop on the corner as often as possible.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Omaha's getting its first food truck park
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The lot at 11th and Nicholas Streets will play host to Scotty's Go-Go Grill from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m daily. Other trucks, including the Mosaic Pickle, The Sandwich Shop and the 402 BBQ, will park or stop on the corner as often as possible.
Are they planning on dressing up the property at all? Could use a couple trees or bushes to break the noise from all the 18 wheelers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Scotty's has been down there instead of the Canfield's parking lot for weeks now, I think 402 BBQ has also frequented the lot. I haven't been down there yet, but can't imagine this lot as being desirable. I may be missing something though.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah I looked on a map and it seems to be hidden. I am not sure it would be visited by many.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A great idea, as such places exist in more and more cities. But a terrible location. In Portland, Oregon an entire city block downtown houses over a dozen food trucks, semi permanently. It is walking distance for thousands of office workers. Who is going to walk to 11th and Nicholas? Most Omahans don't even know (or care) where that is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I could just imagine how many people would complain about the trucks taking up parking spaces if they would ever be offered a place downtown... North side of the GLM?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is actually a super cool food truck project in OKC.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That would be cool in Omaha. Just north of L&C Landing?
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

nativeomahan wrote:A great idea, as such places exist in more and more cities.  But a terrible location.  In Portland, Oregon an entire city block downtown houses over a dozen food trucks, semi permanently.  It is walking distance for thousands of office workers.  Who is going to walk to 11th and Nicholas?  Most Omahans don't even know (or care) where that is.
The one in Portland has some crazy food, there's a Transylvanian food truck, a Georgian (the country not the state) food truck, Scottish food, etc. I had a Banh Mi there at Christmas that was pretty good (though it had tomato on it, which was a bit off-putting).
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote:I could just imagine how many people would complain about the trucks taking up parking spaces if they would ever be offered a place downtown... North side of the GLM?
That would be a perfect location. Or...how about the empty Wall Street Tower lot?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:
Coyote wrote:I could just imagine how many people would complain about the trucks taking up parking spaces if they would ever be offered a place downtown... North side of the GLM?
That would be a perfect location.  Or...how about the empty Wall Street Tower lot?
I was thinking the same. After the CWS is over they can convert the Wiffle ball field to a good court. Why not? Try it out for a summer and see the response. Put a few temporary park benches in, some port-a-pottys, invite some more food trucks...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like that idea for that lot. Hoping to see the construction of the Lanoha Tower, but as we all know, that is probably a ways off yet.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Check this site out:

http://roaminghunger.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wherever your hunger may roam, there is a food truck map to guide your taste buds. Except they barely scratch the surface for Omaha, it seems.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Scotty's Go-Go Grill just said they are now plugged in at the Nicholas location, so evidently they are getting power form someone at that site...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hy-Vee's is supposed to go online either this or next week.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Hy-Vee's first food truck now serving Omahans
The truck, Curbside Cuisine, features an extensive hamburger menu, french fries, chips, drinks and ice cream treats.

Manager Deonte Wright said he’s still figuring out regular spots for the truck, but the Ted and Wally’s parking lot downtown is one possibility. The truck also will be available for rental at parties or businesses, and will make appearances at community events, such as the Hy-Vee Kids Triathlon at Cunningham Lake on Aug. 9.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I am ashamed to admit that I have ate at Hy-Vee 9 or 10 times over the past 3 years. I only do it because I live close to the Hy-Vee in Millard and I am in a hurry. If the food out of that Hy-Vee truck is anything like the food they serve in the stores then no thanks baby! I am a fan of Hy-Vee and they are 3 times better then any other grocery store. But when it comes to the food they serve out front and in their restaurant its as blah as you can get.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I actually agree with GRANDPASMUCKER on this one. Have Omaha food trucks jumped the shark?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dundeemaha wrote:I actually agree with GRANDPASMUCKER on this one. Have Omaha food trucks jumped the shark?
What? Do you really mean that? Have you tried:

Maria Bonita's
Mariscos los Willy's
La Chiripa
Island Seasons
402 BBQ
Taste of New Orleans
Scotty's Go-Go Grill
VooDoo Taco
Mosaic Pickle
For the Love of Food

Soon:
La Casa
Storz
Piccolos
Locomotive

Those are just what I have been to, or can think of...
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Honestly not very serious, but to be fair mentioning existing great food trucks doesn't say much about my exaggeration about a HyVee food truck
jump the shark
a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, I saw the Fonz do that... :P
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

LaCasa has been out and about for a while now. At least a month it two. I think Storz has too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dundeemaha wrote:Honestly not very serious, but to be fair mentioning existing great food trucks doesn't say much about my exaggeration about a HyVee food truck
Oh, don't get me wrong about this one. I would only go to a Hy-Vee Food Truck if it were three in the morning and Taco Bell was closed, AND they had some good beers on board..., THEN, and only then, would I think about getting a beer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

IIRC, Piccolo's Food Truck debuts on the 10th in connection with their 80th anniversary.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:IIRC, Piccolo's Food Truck debuts on the 10th in connection with their 80th anniversary.
It was interesting. The old OWH article from back in July said it was launching the 10th, but yesterday's article said "Any Day Now". Wonder if they are not confident it will be ready in time?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I saw that, and shot them an e-mail, I'm still waiting for a response....
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

No mention in this thread of all the food trucks down in South O on 24th and L area?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Choleric wrote:No mention in this thread of all the food trucks down in South O on 24th and L area?
Maria Bonita's regular truck is on 24th & J. La Chiripa is on 24th and L. Seafood Willy' s is on 30th & Q... All of which I just mentioned. I have a thread on Maria Bonita's , can't remember if I started one on the other two..
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Coyote wrote:
Choleric wrote:No mention in this thread of all the food trucks down in South O on 24th and L area?
Maria Bonita's regular truck is on 24th & J. La Chiripa is on 24th and L. Seafood Willy' s is on 30th & Q...
Thanks!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Piccolo Pete's Food Truck wrote:Mark, that's what we hoped for, however it still hasn't come.....we are waiting on delivery. They assure us it will be here soon, but probably not by the 10th.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hawk's Pizza Food Truck. Their crusts are made from spent beer grain from Infusion, which sounds interesting.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Food Truck Lovers song /(Pina Colada song)

I was tired of my lady
We'd been together too long
Like a worn-out recording
Of a favorite song
So while she lay there sleeping
I read the paper in bed
And in the personal columns
There was this letter I read

"If you like searching for Food Trucks
And sudden stomach pain
If you're not into health food
If you have half a brain
If you'd like making love at midnight
In the back of a Food Truck
Then I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape."
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I saw on their FB page that A Taste of New Orleans will be back at Canfield's at least one day a week soon. I'll keep my eyes peeled. If anyone else happens to see the truck, let me know. I've always wanted to try it, so I can't wait until they get back.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You missed out Coyote, they had a big selection of Food Trucks at ARTsarben.