LaCasa Pizza

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

LaCasa Pizza

Post by Brad »

I can't believe we have never had a thread devoted to LaCasa Pizza...  www.lacasapizzaria.net

Anyways they are rebuilding 45th Street west of LaCasa and also LaCasa is building additional parking west of 45th street.  I am not sure if UNMC or OPPD is taking the parking that was in the rear of the building or if they need additional parking.  I can't imagine a business needing additional parking several decades after opening, but may be they do.
nebport5
Planning Board

Re: LaCasa Pizza

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:I can't believe we have never had a thread devoted to LaCasa Pizza...  www.lacasapizzaria.net

Anyways they are rebuilding 45th Street west of LaCasa and also LaCasa is building additional parking west of 45th street.  I am not sure if UNMC or OPPD is taking the parking that was in the rear of the building or if they need additional parking.  I can't imagine a business needing additional parking several decades after opening, but may be they do.

Are you referring to La Casa?  Expanded parking is long overdue.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote:Are you referring to La Casa?  Expanded parking is long overdue.
Yeah, there is always plenty of parking way in back.  Granted new lot will be a lot closer, but we never not found a spot down there.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:
nebport5 wrote:Are you referring to La Casa?  Expanded parking is long overdue.
Yeah, there is always plenty of parking way in back.  Granted new lot will be a lot closer, but we never not found a spot down there.

There's isn't plenty of parking during primetime, esp. Fri/Sat night.  Often I have a hard time finding a spot just to pick up. The way in the back is OPPD property.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote:The way in the back is OPPD property.
It says you can park there after 5.  I was taking that in to account of total parking.  If you don't count that, I am sure there is a huge shortage.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

OPPD don't live there anymore.   The new street is a new entrance to UNMC to allow for easier use of the lot 51 parking structure's lower level.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Didn't UNMC build a new place for OPPD so they could take over the entire space - can't remember where...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ah yes...

UNMC moves to purchase nearby OPPD property
UNMC.edu wrote:Under the proposal, UNMC would take possession of approximately 10 acres of property and buildings now owned and occupied by OPPD on the southwest edge of the UNMC campus near the intersection of Emile Street and Saddle Creek Road.

The area would provide UNMC with the space needed to construct a new cancer research tower as well as additional parking.

UNMC has identified a 10.5 acre site northwest of Eppley Airfield that it would purchase for approximately $1.3 million, pending approval of the Board of Regents.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am glad to see LaCasa Pizza join the food truck club instead of fighting it. Photos from the LaCasa FB Page.

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Are they only operating outside city limits to avoid having to collect any restaurant occupation tax?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just had a gastro orgasm.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great idea, LaCasa.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently LaCasa is remodeling:

Should be done when they re-open next Tuesday.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:Apparently LaCasa is remodeling:
At least they're not closing! I cringe whenever I see a good local place mentioned on a thread title here. Much too often "closing" will be inside. :(
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:
At least they're not closing! I cringe whenever I see a good local place mentioned on a thread title here. Much too often "closing" will be inside. :(
I grew up eating La Casa Pizza..

If they closed, I'd cry for a week straight.. No joke...

Thumbs up on the remodeling :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think this may be the go to place on Valentine's Day for my wife and I now that Bohemian Cafe closed.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Omababe wrote:
I grew up eating La Casa Pizza..

If they closed, I'd cry for a week straight.. No joke...

Thumbs up on the remodeling :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Same here. Very first pizza I ever had was La Casa at the old Venice location. First slice I would estimate to have been in 1965 or 1966. At least that first LaCasa pie I can remember came home in a '64 Impala.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I will always compare pizzas to La Casa's. Since the 60's it was always a Family tradition for casual dining (Ross's was our fine dining favorite). I remember I would always get a Roy Rogers while my sister would always get a Shirley Temple...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Love their pizza. But I'm happy they are remodeling. It needed a refresh.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I enjoy very much reading comments like the ones Guy4omaha and Coyote shared. I echo them completely..

Another thing I've learned over the years, if you can hold off the temptation, don't eat all of your La Casa pizza. Try to save up to half and put it in the fridge for the next day. La Casa pizza COLD is the best tasting cold pizza I've ever consumed. In fact, I enjoy it just as much cold, as I do right out of the oven.. maybe even a bit more :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And don't forget to get their onion rings!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A new La Casa West. 5k sq ft building on 1.3 acres just south of Pacific Spring's 1st hole green:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Oh wow. Is the family on Leavenworth or the family on 84th opening it?
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

84th St location is my understanding. And although I've worked with both over the years I'm really still not certain of their arrangement.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

43county wrote:84th St location is my understanding. And although I've worked with both over the years I'm really still not certain of their arrangement.
Do you like the food at one of them better than the other?
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Truthfully, I only ever eat at the original. So I guess that's my preference. I am a big fan though, especially when romano cheese is involved.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Is it just me or does this seem like a bit of a strange location.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Is it just me or does this seem like a bit of a strange location.
Very similar to the Mama's west location and they are killing it!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
43county wrote:84th St location is my understanding. And although I've worked with both over the years I'm really still not certain of their arrangement.
I eat at both and have many times over the years.. Both are perfectly La Casa flavor to me.. I like them equally...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Is it just me or does this seem like a bit of a strange location.
Very similar to the Mama's west location and they are killing it!

So you are saying it's JUST ME ??? ;)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nmalone
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nmalone »

Descendants from the original owners, two families now own LaCasa. The LaCasa Pizzaria West Location Family (Vacanti's) owns that location and manages it. They also own 50% of the original location. The original location is 50% owned and managed by their cousins. Currently all the prep for dough, sauce, meat and cheese are prepared by the same people and distributed to each location. So its the same product and they both use the same brand of oven. The LaCasa West owners are opening the LaCasa Pacific Springs location. It will be a more up-scale fast casual than their 84th Street Location. Methodist Administration Building is currently under construction, directly south of this site. Schedule at this time is to be open before the Holidays, prayers that Mother Nature stays on our side this spring.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Brad wrote:
I eat at both and have many times over the years.. Both are perfectly La Casa flavor to me.. I like them equally...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Same for me. And as a nod to ancient history, my first La Casa bite (first pizza of any kind actually) was at the far west LaCasa Venice location where I got hooked. So my guess it was just as good, too, back in the day. In case some of you didn't take ancient history, it was on the SW corner of Hwy 92 and 264th Street (about a mile east of the Platte River). Closed in the late 70s I believe due to declining health of the owner. Pizza and Peppi. It's a wonderful thing.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Love LaCasa's and I'll echo that the taste of the pizza at 84th is exactly the same as Leavenworth.

With that being said, the menu is much more limited. So, there are certain types of pizza and most of the rest of the menu that isn't present at 84th. But, if you just want the staples like the hamburger, cheese, or normal toppings, 84th is just fine. Most of the time, I get it as take out. So, I like that this place is quick casual with a big parking lot. If I want a sit down experience, I go to Leavenworth.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nmalone wrote:Descendants from the original owners, two families now own LaCasa. The LaCasa Pizzaria West Location Family (Vacanti's) owns that location and manages it. They also own 50% of the original location. The original location is 50% owned and managed by their cousins. Currently all the prep for dough, sauce, meat and cheese are prepared by the same people and distributed to each location. So its the same product and they both use the same brand of oven. The LaCasa West owners are opening the LaCasa Pacific Springs location. It will be a more up-scale fast casual than their 84th Street Location. Methodist Administration Building is currently under construction, directly south of this site. Schedule at this time is to be open before the Holidays, prayers that Mother Nature stays on our side this spring.
omaha79 wrote:Love LaCasa's and I'll echo that the taste of the pizza at 84th is exactly the same as Leavenworth.

With that being said, the menu is much more limited. So, there are certain types of pizza and most of the rest of the menu that isn't present at 84th. But, if you just want the staples like the hamburger, cheese, or normal toppings, 84th is just fine. Most of the time, I get it as take out. So, I like that this place is quick casual with a big parking lot. If I want a sit down experience, I go to Leavenworth.
Thanks for all the great info nmalone and omaha79! We usually go to the one on Leavenworth, but more out of habit than anything.
nebugeater wrote:So you are saying it's JUST ME ??? ;)
Yep! :;):

Seriously though, and lots and lots of residential houses around it, and way easier access than anything in Village Pointe or Legacy.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I still can't see the popularity. I've tried it twice. Nothing to write home about, nor give 1-star review either.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Everyone’s tastebuds are wired a bit differently..

Being of Italian decent and having many family members hail from Omaha and Chicago, I’ve sampled many a pizza pie in my lifetime.. From thin crust to NY style to Chicago style and everything in between.. But other than my grandmothers homemade from scratch pizza, La Casa is my hands down favorite..

And there is no substitute. At least to my palate...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bbinks wrote:I still can't see the popularity. I've tried it twice. Nothing to write home about, nor give 1-star review either.
While their pizza is not exactly my favorite (nor is it really my least favorite in town), their toasted ravioli....yum.
No posts exist for this topic
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Emily Nohr of the World-Herald posted on Twitter from today's city council meeting, "Council approves a major amendment to an existing agreement to make way for La Casa West at northwest corner of 168th and Pacific."

ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

LaCasa isn't my favorite pizza, but I feel like if I'd grown up eating it it might be. Even though I rarely eat there personally I'm glad an iconic Omaha restaurant is expanding.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I do think you had to grow up eating it. I've stopped trying to introduce it to people. I've had a couple of people like it, but I've also heard friends call it anything from "vile", to "lunchroom pizza squares", to "not even pizza as I define it". It's certainly divisive. You either love the Romano Cheese and the unique sauce, or you don't.

The closest thing I can compare it to regionally is Imo's in St. Louis. That's a local staple and many down there love it. I tried it and I didn't enjoy it. The provel cheese they use just isn't something I can enjoy.