The French Bulldog

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Globochem
Home Owners Association

The French Bulldog

Post by Globochem »

Coming to Dundee in the former Subway location is a concept best described as La Buvette in Dundee.  Amsterdam Falafel and Kabob owners Phil Anania and Anne Cavanaugh will team up with Boiler Room and Pitch alum Bryce Coulton who will produce house charcuterie.  Rotisserie chicken will also be featured.  Look for a spring opening.
derog
Home Owners Association

Re: The French Bulldog

Post by derog »

Globochem wrote:Coming to Dundee in the former Subway location is a concept best described as La Buvette in Dundee.  Amsterdam Falafel and Kabob owners Phil Anania and Anne Cavanaugh will team up with Boiler Room and Pitch alum Bryce Coulton who will produce house charcuterie.  Rotisserie chicken will also be featured.  Look for a spring opening.
The Subway in Dundee closed?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

derog wrote:
Globochem wrote:Coming to Dundee in the former Subway location is a concept best described as La Buvette in Dundee.  Amsterdam Falafel and Kabob owners Phil Anania and Anne Cavanaugh will team up with Boiler Room and Pitch alum Bryce Coulton who will produce house charcuterie.  Rotisserie chicken will also be featured.  Look for a spring opening.
The Subway in Dundee closed?
They moved to where Quiznos was on Saddle Creek.

Quiznos is looking for another spot in that area.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Can't wait to check this out.  Definitely a step up from Subway.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Brad wrote:Quiznos is looking for another spot in that area.
I highly doubt that. Quiznos is on the verge of collapse. They are near default on almost a billion dollars in loans and are down to somewhere around 3000 stores. 3 years ago they had over 5000 restaurants.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:
Brad wrote:Quiznos is looking for another spot in that area.
I highly doubt that. Quiznos is on the verge of collapse. They are near default on almost a billion dollars in loans and are down to somewhere around 3000 stores. 3 years ago they had over 5000 restaurants.
Probably so, but what they told customers was "they were moving, but not sure where yet".  It wouldn't surprise me if they closed, they closed all over town.  The one on 72 and Pacific recently closed.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Ok, this is the saddest testament to Omaha dining I have seen in a LONG while.  When discussing the opening of an intriguing, independent, and inventive restaurant concept, try to avoid diverting the subject to where some irrelevant, depressing sandwich franchise will slither to next.  Who cares where either Quiznos or Subway goes.  Far away, I hope.  As for the development in Dundee, now that is something worth talking about.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Ok, this is the saddest testament to Omaha dining I have seen in a LONG while.  When discussing the opening of an intriguing, independent, and inventive restaurant concept, try to avoid diverting the subject to where some irrelevant, depressing sandwich franchise will slither to next.  Who cares where either Quiznos or Subway goes.  Far away, I hope.  As for the development in Dundee, now that is something worth talking about.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Globochem wrote:Ok, this is the saddest testament to Omaha dining I have seen in a LONG while.  When discussing the opening of an intriguing, independent, and inventive restaurant concept, try to avoid diverting the subject to where some irrelevant, depressing sandwich franchise will slither to next.  Who cares where either Quiznos or Subway goes.  Far away, I hope.  As for the development in Dundee, now that is something worth talking about.

Agreed. I'm very excited for the concept, can't wait for it to open.  It will fill a niche and should complement the neighborhood well.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I didn't realize Subway had closed either. I pretty much ignore its existence as I pass it on my way to the Dell. I had to look up charcuterie. I knew it had something to do with pork, but a google search turned up a picture that has me excited about this concept in Dundee. My entire reason for moving to Dundee was to have these types of places within walking distance.
KikiOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by KikiOmaha »

This is exciting.  La Buvette is one of my favorite places to go (when I have lots of time on my hands...)  The restaurateurs involved know what they are doing and should create a pretty nice place.  I'm excited!
creightonotter
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creightonotter »

Anyone have an update/expected opening date for the French Bulldog?
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Look for a late March or April opening.  Construction just began.
Deedoo
New to the Neighborhood

Yes!

Post by Deedoo »

This place is going to be grand...  Smoked Meats? Yes. Artisan Meats? Yes. Charcutier meats?  Double yes.  Coolest new chef in Omaha?  Infinite YES.
Bryce
New to the Neighborhood

The French Bulldog

Post by Bryce »

We are tentatively anticipating a mid-April open date.  It will be food and drink based around the cured meats we'll produce on-site.  We're excited about it and happy to see that others are, as well.  To keep up with the progression of opening and such, take a look at both Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fren ... 5546628702) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/dundeebulldog).  

And thanks, DeeDoo!

Bryce Coulton
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This sounds like it will be a stupendous addition to Dundee's and the city's dining offerings.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

They had me at cured meats.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

What's going on with this place?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:What's going on with this place?

Don't know what you are asking, but they posted a picture on their Facebook page 3 hours ago. On 3/16 they posted that they will open the latter part of April.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:

Don't know what you are asking, but they posted a picture on their Facebook page 3 hours ago. On 3/16 they posted that they will open the latter part of April.
Thanks Coyote, I am just stupid and didn't see the Facebook link :)
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:

FAcebook page says at least mid-May now
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The French Bulldog wrote:The French Bulldog is now taking applications. Applications can be picked up/dropped off at Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob, just around the corner on 50th. We appreciate everyone's patience, as we move a bit closer to an opening date.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I cannot wait to go to this place.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

I cannot wait either. I have been looking forward to it for months and months - hopefully I haven't built up too high of expectations.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I took a peek in while I was at eCreamery today and it doesn't look remotely close to opening. Anybody know what the deal is other than what they have posted to Facebook?
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

They are now shooting for a last week of July or first week of August opening. I think the Red Sky people are in charge of this place.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Well, since I obviously won't be shopping here anytime soon, does anyone know where I can find Toulouse sausage in Omaha? I have a recipe that calls for it specifically and I have no idea what would be a suitable substitute.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

lisanstan wrote:Well, since I obviously won't be shopping here anytime soon, does anyone know where I can find Toulouse sausage in Omaha? I have a recipe that calls for it specifically and I have no idea what would be a suitable substitute.
This exquisite French sausage is usually made with pork, smoked bacon, wine, and garlic.  It's a great sausage for a cassoulet.  Cook it before serving.  Substitutes:  kielbasa (works well in a cassoulet) OR Italian sweet sausage
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatcureSausage.html

If it is for a cassoulet, a good kielbasa will do.  I've done that substitution before.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Thanks Mr.Nuke. The recipe came from serious eats. Its toulouse sausage with du puy lentils and shallots.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

So uhhh anyone have any updates?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:So uhhh anyone have any updates?
I think I saw something in the dining notes in the past few weeks.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

I was excited about this place for the first six months after they announced that they were going to open but now it has been so long that I have lost all interest.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

getting closer...and signage is up.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebport5 wrote:getting closer...and signage is up.
Thank god, I am so excited to try this place out.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So 60-90 days?
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Facebook page is claiming they could be open this week pending inspections.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120907/G ... rday-night
Owner Anne Cavanaugh, who runs the restaurant with Phil Anania and Bryce Coulton, said it will open for business Saturday at 5 p.m. There is a private party for friends and family in the space tonight.

Cavanaugh said the menu will include cured meats as "the main attraction," along with cheese, soup, a few salads and sandwiches and a couple of desserts.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Going tommorow for lunch.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20120907/G ... rday-night
Owner Anne Cavanaugh, who runs the restaurant with Phil Anania and Bryce Coulton, said it will open for business Saturday at 5 p.m. There is a private party for friends and family in the space tonight.

Cavanaugh said the menu will include cured meats as "the main attraction," along with cheese, soup, a few salads and sandwiches and a couple of desserts.
Oooh!  They have some cheese.  And soup!  Plus "a few salads and sandwiches".  It's all making me dizzy with excitement.  How have we managed to survive in this city before now?
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Walked by last night and peered in the window. Im a bit disappointed. At first i thought it would be more like a deli. Now i see its just a very small restaurant. I thought they would at least have a counter where you could buy stuff to go but the counter is behind all the tables. Every table was full when we walked by after 7pm.