Dixie Quicks (157 W. Broadway Downtown Council Bluffs)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Omaha's loss, CB's big gain.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We can't wait to try the new location.  That has become a very bustling few blocks for entertainment.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was a great article the other day.  I will see if I can find it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This one?:

Dining Notes
Omaha World Herald wrote:Dixie Quicks Public House is officially open for business at its new location, 157 W. Broadway in downtown Council Bluffs. A grand opening was held Tuesday, when hundreds of people streamed through the hip new space. It seats more than twice as many diners as the restaurant's old location off Leavenworth Street in Omaha. The new space has atmosphere to spare, with a large, bustling central bar, an elevated DJ booth and a larger, sleek art space where Gilmer will run his RNG Gallery.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yep, that's it!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I gotta try that place, I hear so much about it. I will do that in the next ten days.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Went to Dixie Quicks tonight.  The place was packed. Very nice atmosphere and the food was terrific as good as ever!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It's still Dixie Quicks

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111202/G ... xie-quicks
Sarah Baker Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:So what happens now that owners Rob Gilmer and Rene Orduna took their quirky restaurant, doubled its size, hired new servers and moved the restaurant to Council Bluffs?

Regulars — this one included — were skeptical. But the new space is fantastic, on a busy sliver of Broadway downtown. During three recent visits, the food was as good as ever. In the end, I was convinced: This will work out fine.

The most recent incarnation of Dixie Quicks is by far the fanciest and the hippest. The building used to be part of a car lot, and Gilmer and Orduna have divided the industrial space in half: one side restaurant, the other side RNG art gallery.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Did i miss something
Go Cubs Go
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

thenewguy wrote:Did i miss something
Nothing important.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We finally got to the new DQ a week or two ago.  The atmosphere is as fresh and fun as any restaurant in the region.  The food was rather hit and miss, however.  Overall our impressions were positive.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I made it over there (twice) recently for brunch.  A few observations.  The food at the new location is noticeably better than I remember at the old one, save the bland uninspired "home fries". (honestly, how do you ruin a potato?)  It may be the preeminent breakfast place in the metro for quality, but at the cost of eminent pricing. (no pun intended)  $8 flapjacks?  Ouch.  Both times it was hard to get out of there under $40 after tip.  The chalkboard menu was cute at the old location, but is really asinine here given the size of the new place.  The decor is nice and spacious, but to what benefit when there's a revolving heard crowded around a chalkboard jamming up everything?  I wondered how much shorter the average ticket time would be with actual menus.  Or maybe that's the point and they deliberately slow things down for an overwhelmed kitchen?  

The staff could use human relations training too or maybe any training.  All in all, very good (driven by food quality) and I look forward to making it over for dinner.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The need for staff training is definitely the reason we wos are reallythe nt be back.  Too many good restaurants in this town that I would have to drive past to go there.  To get over priced food from clueless staff?  Tommy Colina's brunch and Louie M's omlets are good, their waitstaff are competent, and they are both closer.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Someone I work with went over there recently. She told them she use to love going to the restaurant but after they moved to Council Bluffs everything had gone downhill. She said she wouldn't be back
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I don't know. Went when it was in Omaha. Don't see much different in the service here. It is still a  quirky place.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Ive always had good service and the owners are good people.  the wait staff, cooks, etc, are all good also, imo.  they are just more frank at times than people may expect, but i believe it is the same good place as it was when it was in omaha.

and i think the food is great, too.
Go Cubs Go
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We had lunch at DQ's in late April with a group of business associates from Lincoln.  Ten of us in all.  We all had a great meal.  The waiter was equal parts entertaining and informative, announcing loudly after one of the ladies in our group ordered the Brussels sprouts "they will make you fart!"  (She responded "I don't need any help with that.")  You gotta love this place.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

I think it was neat when it was in Omaha - but not worth the extra drive to visit Council Bluffs for it... I don't go over there unless I have to....and that usually is to drive up 29 to visit South Dakota!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finally got across the river for Dixie Quicks. Funky place, playing the Clash most of the time I was there, even my table was a collage of Clash. Sparky waitress. I had the Grilled Roast Beef sandwich a cup of Shrimp Gumbo, and Dixie Blackened Voodoo lager. All was good, atmosphere was great. Meal for $9 and the beer was only $3.50 The whole menu on a chalk board I will have to get used to though.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That chalkboard was the one weird thing for me as well.  I don't mind walking over there and looking at the board, but it felt like I was bothering the tables around it.  Great food though!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Used to like the place when it was in the OM, and tried it at CB, but got treated like worm food there.   The place was nearly empty, and they wouldn't seat us.  No explanation, no apologies.  Did the same to the couple behind us.  Both couples were appropriately dressed and polite.   Have never been back, and considering the number of places between my house and there, and how much we like Taxi's and some of the other places near by, I don't see a reason to go over to Back Door Girl's home town just to be mistreated again.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:That chalkboard was the one weird thing for me as well.  I don't mind walking over there and looking at the board, but it felt like I was bothering the tables around it.  Great food though!
They have explained that the big reason for the chalkboard menu is that it is more sanitary than having to wipe off dozens of menus every day.  It also allows them to completely change out the menu whenever the spirit moves them.

I have also found it a bit uncomfortable to hover by the patrons that happen to be sitting by the menu board...although obviously everyone that does so is staring up at the board.  I did come up with the idea of snapping a few quick photos of the menu board with my phone, then returning to my table and perusing the phone images.  It worked great.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I got married in the art gallery there a few weeks ago! I'll post some of our photos soon
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

nativeomahan wrote:
Brad wrote:That chalkboard was the one weird thing for me as well.  I don't mind walking over there and looking at the board, but it felt like I was bothering the tables around it.  Great food though!
They have explained that the big reason for the chalkboard menu is that it is more sanitary than having to wipe off dozens of menus every day.  It also allows them to completely change out the menu whenever the spirit moves them.

I have also found it a bit uncomfortable to hover by the patrons that happen to be sitting by the menu board...although obviously everyone that does so is staring up at the board.  I did come up with the idea of snapping a few quick photos of the menu board with my phone, then returning to my table and perusing the phone images.  It worked great.
They buy locally or what they can get fresh, so many times their menu is subject to whats available.  With that concept its not really possible to have printed menus.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

bargainhunter wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:

They buy locally or what they can get fresh, so many times their menu is subject to whats available.  With that concept its not really possible to have printed menus.

Nonsense.  Tell that to Boiler Room, Grey Plum, Lot 2, etc.  It's not fine dining, write the menu by hand and photo copy it ala La Buvette.  Or at least put the d a m n chalkboard near the front so people can decide while they're waiting (and/or being ignored).  Menu sanitation?  Ha!  Well, why even have tables?  Do they not wipe the tables down?  Maybe they should get rid of all the tables and chairs and everyone can sit indian style with paper plates in the interest of sanitation.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

From my ten plus years of eating at DQs I can report that the owners have received advice from a good many diners (including myself) over the years, and ignored almost all of it.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Here are a few shots from our wedding.. (just screenshots not high quality)

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Congratulations on the Big Day!

Great photos too!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for sharing!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Dixie Quicks (157 W. Broadway Downtown Council Bluffs)

Post by Coyote »

Apparently Rene has health issues... Anyone hear anything on what is going on?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote:Apparently Rene has health issues... Anyone hear anything on what is going on?
I read stage 4 kidney cancer.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Concert, online fundraiser aim to help restaurateurs as Dixie Quicks co-owner René Orduña battles kidney cancer

» Sept. 11 at Slowdown, 729 N. 14th St. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the event is from 7 to 11 p.m. A donation of $15 is suggested at the door. The concert, featuring High Up, Simon Joyner and Closeness, is all ages. Dixie Drag will perform as well. The silent auction includes about 50 items, including art, prize packages, gift certificates and more. Chef Jennifer Coco will provide food. All the funds raised will be donated to Orduña and his husband, Rob Gilmer. For more information, visit facebook.com/events/290010664698254/.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Closing on January 21
http://www.ketv.com/article/council-blu ... s/14851049
Sad to see it close. Though I was never able to have the great meal others reported having there, I know this is a loss for it's fans.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Closing on January 21
:(
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is an incredible loss to the area’s restaurant scene. DQ’s pushed the envelope and expanded the variety of dining options for local residents. I think it is not an exaggeration to say that they have offered more diversity, originality, accessibility and panache to the dining scene than any other Omaha restaurant presently in business. But reading the owner’s recent Facebook postings made it clear that he was no longer physically up to keeping the restaurant open. It was time to let go.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Dugger’s forced to close in Dundee and now this..

It’s always sad to see another solid, locally owned restaurant fall by the wasteside..

Another loss for the “foodie” scene in metropolitan Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
tonylaw74
New to the Neighborhood

Dixie Quicks is closing

Post by tonylaw74 »

Last day is January 21. No word on what will move in.

http://www.omaha.com/go/dixie-quicks-to ... 9a9be.html