Empyrean Ales Brewing (lazlo's)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jhuston wrote:Was out at Lanoha's and saw a Lazlo's sign... it looks like there's something under construction a couple of blocks north of West Center... is that Lazlo's? or is going to be right on the lot over looking West Center?
It is up on the hill overlooking W Center

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I love Lazlos, I HATE that location!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I drove by this site on June 4. Construction seems to be proceeding rather slowly. Don't count on this place opening before autumn at the earliest.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote:I drove by this site on June 4. Construction seems to be proceeding rather slowly. Don't count on this place opening before autumn at the earliest.

Isn't that what the sign says??? :?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

nebugeater wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I drove by this site on June 4. Construction seems to be proceeding rather slowly. Don't count on this place opening before autumn at the earliest.

Isn't that what the sign says??? :?
Touche! Considering I was told nearly 2 years ago by a company rep that a West Center Rd. site was scheduled for opening in Summer 2005, they do seem on a slow track. The new Lazlo's in Fremont should be opening soon. Maybe they have decided to stagger the opening in order to work the bugs out at the Fremont location before taking on the Omaha site. Not a bad strategy.

Still, I wonder about yet another restaurant opening on W. Center. The road has met and passed the saturation point, which is why you are seeing as many restaurants close as open on that strip.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drove by, they were starting to put the brick on today. If Granite City and Cheese Cake Factory are both going to be open by this fall, Lazlos will be done by then also, as it is further along than both of them.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

The Fremont Location is now open and I guess they have been very busy.

The website shows the addresses of all of their locations.

http://www.telesis-inc.com/lazlo/L_Fav.html
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Speaking of locations. The link to beermapping.com has wonderful maps on all of the U.S. breweries and brewpubs. They also have maps for select cities. Their cities lists are more detailed and include great beer bars and beer stores. I have emailed them to add Omaha to their list. It might help persuade them if others email them as well. Come on San Antonio is on there? It appears that they only have 3 brewpubs to Omaha's 5 opened Brewpubs, 2 being constructed, and 1 opened microbrewery.

http://beermapping.com/city-beer-maps/
midtown charlie
Human Relations

oh yeah to suggest a city there is a link at the bottom of the page.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In the first pic. A sign of the looming smoking ban.... 6 heaters on a patio. I also noticed the new brewskies in Ralston is adding a Huge covered patio and they are building a new pool hall in Papillion (no smoking ban) probably because Big Johns will be smoke free ina month.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Brad wrote:In the first pic. A sign of the looming smoking ban.... 6 heaters on a patio. I also noticed the new brewskies in Ralston is adding a Huge covered patio and they are building a new pool hall in Papillion (no smoking ban) probably because Big Johns will be smoke free ina month.
The smoking ban won't apply to Laslo's as they are not in the City of Omaha... yet anyway.

Upstream at 172nd and West Center is not in the City of Omaha either... yet.

Lonnie
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Is there a smoking ban in Ralston? I dont know.
A sign of the looming smoking ban.... 6 heaters on a patio.
Couldn't also be for people who would like to be outside on a cool Autumn evening?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Probably not 100% due to smoking ban concerns. I believe the one in Fremont is the same and there is no ban there.

Brad wrote:In the first pic. A sign of the looming smoking ban.... 6 heaters on a patio. I also noticed the new brewskies in Ralston is adding a Huge covered patio and they are building a new pool hall in Papillion (no smoking ban) probably because Big Johns will be smoke free ina month.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:Is there a smoking ban in Ralston? I dont know.
A sign of the looming smoking ban.... 6 heaters on a patio.
Couldn't also be for people who would like to be outside on a cool Autumn evening?
I know that people like to sit outside, I like to sit outside sometimes. I have noticed however a trend of building big patios in it city that has very hot summers and very cold withers.

I was thinking about my post anyways... Do you think places will let people smoke on the patio if the rest of the resterauant is non-smoking.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Who is getting a Lazlo's within a mile of his house?

I AM I AM!!!!

HOORAY!!!

Its about time Omaha moved to my neck of the woods!

:lol:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Lazlo's in WWWWW Omaha will almost assuredly be non-smoking in its entirety as the one in Fremont is - including the "enclosed" patio.

There is nothing in the smoking ban that requires a non-smoking restaurant to have a non-smoking patio, unless the patio is enclosed. I am sure there will be some legal debate over what constitutes an "enclosed" patio. Some are definitely more enclosed than others, while some are connected to bars via very large open areas (Kona in VP comes to mind immediately).

The decision to NOT allow smoking on an open patio (similar to CPK in OPP (yeah, you know me) or the seafood joint on 72nd (or is it 84th? I recommend it, BTW, but I wish I could remember its name and location! :)) by Bed, Bath and Beyond) is entirely up to the establishment.

-Big E
Stable genius.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Big E wrote:...I am sure there will be some legal debate over what constitutes an "enclosed" patio. Some are definitely more enclosed than others, while some are connected to bars via very large open areas (Kona in VP comes to mind immediately)....-Big E
Good point, and Kona is in the city of Omaha, and people puff-up a storm there.

Wouldn't it be ironic after Kona spent BIG bucks to enclose their patio, smokers will have to go to Johnny's next door to smoke in their un-enclosed patio?

Lonnie
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

To the best of my knowledge, VP is NOT in the city limits.

Yet.

-Big E
Stable genius.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Last edited by lonnie on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

My wife and I really enjoyed the couple of trips we've made to Lazlo's (D'Shawn and Jake might want top off their fuel tank before leaving, if they decide to go there though :) )... I like the food better than Upstream.

Nice pictures Brad.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hey Jeff, don't you mean my gas tank? :lol: I doubt I'll be making a special trip out there to eat cause that is WAY the heck out there for us downtowners. :;):

The place looks pretty nice though, glad to hear it is of high quality.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Lazlo's in Fremont closed their doors a week to 10 days ago.  I would consider this confirmed even though I have not been by there, the Fremont location no longer shows up on their web site.  Looks like it lasted about 18 months.  Funny thing is I have been to the Fremont location and the West O location about an equal number of times.  On my visits I would have guessed that the Fremont location was actually busier.  Drove by the West O location tonight and it was open and it is still listed on the web site.
I hope someone else gives the location a try.  They have a nice building and Fremont needs a place along these lines.  I really thought this would work there.  Wounder if this will change any of the rumored plans to open other locations?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The Fremont store closed in early October.  They blamed an inability to maintain good service for their downfall.  I also would have expected the restaurant to be a big hit in a town with very few quality dining options.  But I am told by residents that everyone in Fremont is used to coming to Omaha to shop and eat on the now completed freeway.  Village Pointe is only 20 minutes away.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:But I am told by residents that everyone in Fremont is used to coming to Omaha to shop and eat on the now completed freeway.  Village Pointe is only 20 minutes away.
Sounds like Sarpy County about 10 years ago...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:But I am told by residents that everyone in Fremont is used to coming to Omaha to shop and eat on the now completed freeway.  Village Pointe is only 20 minutes away.
Sounds like Sarpy County about 10 years ago...
Except Sarpy County grew by 30,000 people in the past 10 or 12 years.  Dodge County isn't growing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Except Sarpy County grew by 30,000 people in the past 10 or 12 years.  Dodge County isn't growing.
I meant that 10 years ago, sarpy county had a hard time keeping residents in the county for the entertainment dollars.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Except Sarpy County grew by 30,000 people in the past 10 or 12 years.  Dodge County isn't growing.
I meant that 10 years ago, sarpy county had a hard time keeping residents in the county for the entertainment dollars.
Very true.  Then Sarpy developed a critical mass of residents, and the shopping mall developers and big restaurant chains discovered the attractive demographics and rapid growth rate, and the rest is history.
Jays Fan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jays Fan »

I did not see this posted but a member of management at the Lazlos out at 192nd and Center said that the closed Fremont location will be moved, yes the building, to the site they purchased at 96th and Giles.  They hope to open around March
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I don't know if I had posted anything about this before, but WHY is Lazlo's not putting a location in the old market?  These suburban locations just don't make sense.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Linkin5 wrote:I don't know if I had posted anything about this before, but WHY is Lazlo's not putting a location in the old market?  These suburban locations just don't make sense.
Agreed, I would love to see them take over the Jobbers Canyon building.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Linkin5 wrote:I don't know if I had posted anything about this before, but WHY is Lazlo's not putting a location in the old market?  These suburban locations just don't make sense.
Because that market is somewhat saturated?  They ARE in the Haymarket in Lincoln.

And I agree that they are MUCH better than the Yupstream.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah I know they are in the Haymarket, that is their original location.  I really don't understand how the market is oversaturated in oldmarket, more and more restaurants are choosing to have downtown locations and are doing great.
Curious

Lazlos

Post by Curious »

Someone on the Suburban board posted that Lazlos' building in Fremont may be "moved" to the site in La Vista at 96/Giles.  I would think that would not be possible with La Vista's design standards along Giles that begin at 96th street.  Someone said a possible Culvers may go in the area and they can't have their signature blue roof.  As much as I'd love to see another dining choice in north-central Sarpy, with that type of restriction, how would a building in Fremont fit within the strict design standards in La Vista??
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:And I agree that they are MUCH better than the Yupstream.
You're the first person I've ever heard publicly announce that Lazlo's is even on the same planet with Upstream.

Personal taste, I guess.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
You're the first person I've ever heard publicly announce that Lazlo's is even on the same planet with Upstream.

Personal taste, I guess.

-Big E
While both very good, I usually find myself at the upstream.  I wish Lazlo's was not so far away.

Back in the late 90's I ate at the Haymarket Lazlo's several times, back then that was awesome.  Great food, AMAZING service, and a cool atmosphere, all three of which have never been replicated by the west Omaha location.  The west Omaha one is great don't get me wrong, but not the original.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:

Personal taste, I guess.

-Big E
While both very good, I usually find myself at the upstream.  I wish Lazlo's was not so far away.

Back in the late 90's I ate at the Haymarket Lazlo's several times, back then that was awesome.  Great food, AMAZING service, and a cool atmosphere, all three of which have never been replicated by the west Omaha location.  The west Omaha one is great don't get me wrong, but not the original.
I agree.  I like the Lincoln location so much more.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow wrote:
Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:

Personal taste, I guess.

-Big E

I agree.  I like the Lincoln location so much more.
I have been on record as prefering Lazlo's by a pretty good margin.  Always have.  The Lincoln location is better but the W O! Location has gotten better.