Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Entertainment districts

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.
The one in Lincoln crosses over a street
Sorry, I rarely go down to Lincoln. Which area are you talking about?

EDIT : I assume you're talking about Canopy Street? http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... b3962.html

So you can walk with an open alcoholic drink in your hand from Hiro over to The Railyard, by crossing the street while cars are driving by?

I cannot say for sure but I believe that you can cross the street without it being blocked off. I may be wrong on that though. I know the street is open for some events with a lot of people and traffic in the area.

Here is a map I found that defines the boundaries from 2013

http://www.omaha.com/go/lincoln-s-hayma ... 3d0d4.html
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Interesting. The last time I was at the Railyard (it was over a year ago) they were checking id's when you entered, and it did not seem like you could take alcohol out of the common area. Coincidentally I will be there Saturday night. We are spending the night with the hockey team I coach and letting the kids skate while we go to Longwell's. I will ask how it works.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Interesting. The last time I was at the Railyard (it was over a year ago) they were checking id's when you entered, and it did not seem like you could take alcohol out of the common area. Coincidentally I will be there Saturday night. We are spending the night with the hockey team I coach and letting the kids skate while we go to Longwell's. I will ask how it works.

Greg
Or you could just carry an adult drink from Longwells across the street and find out how it works and not how it is "supposed" to work!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:Interesting. The last time I was at the Railyard (it was over a year ago) they were checking id's when you entered, and it did not seem like you could take alcohol out of the common area. Coincidentally I will be there Saturday night. We are spending the night with the hockey team I coach and letting the kids skate while we go to Longwell's. I will ask how it works.

Greg
Or you could just carry an adult drink from Longwells across the street and find out how it works and not how it is "supposed" to work!

In my younger days that is pretty much exactly how it would have played out....
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OK was there Saturday night, You can't take drinks from the Railyard across the street to the Canopy area of the district. There is a sign stating not too.

That being said, still love this area. Spent most of the time at Longwell's. Did get a drink at Breezy Island Ice (think smaller version of Fat Tuesday's). They are only 4 bucks. It's in the inside area where you can rent ice skates (skating is free if you have your own skates).

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Greg S wrote:OK was there Saturday night, You can't take drinks from the Railyard across the street to the Canopy area of the district. There is a sign stating not too.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine allowing open containers on public streets. I wouldn't be surprised if they fence the street off and open it up to pedestrians during large events.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:OK was there Saturday night, You can't take drinks from the Railyard across the street to the Canopy area of the district. There is a sign stating not too.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine allowing open containers on public streets. I wouldn't be surprised if they fence the street off and open it up to pedestrians during large events.
They do that during NU Football games. People play Corner Hole there...
Wrightfan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Wrightfan »

This seemed to be an appropriate thread in which to ask a few questions. I will be in Omaha on a consulting gig this week and will have about 4 hours of free time either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. I will have a car, so opted to drive to the Old Market district for lunch and to walk around a bit, perhaps shop (for an item small enough to pack in my carry-on). I have been on the Old Market website, but want to ask directly:

Question # 1: I would like to dine in a decent and informal restaurant that has either an American, European, or Italian menu with comfortable seating, allowing me to hang a bit and read (I will be alone). Any standouts to recommend?

Question # 2: I don’t want to learn about parking garages, lots, hours, rates or download apps - just want to drive into the area to park, ideally surface lot or street parking. Plentiful and easy to find?

Thanks.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

You can usually find street parking in the area if you're a bit patient and willing to walk a couple of blocks.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Wrightfan wrote:This seemed to be an appropriate thread in which to ask a few questions. I will be in Omaha on a consulting gig this week and will have about 4 hours of free time either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. I will have a car, so opted to drive to the Old Market district for lunch and to walk around a bit, perhaps shop (for an item small enough to pack in my carry-on). I have been on the Old Market website, but want to ask directly:

Question # 1: I would like to dine in a decent and informal restaurant that has either an American, European, or Italian menu with comfortable seating, allowing me to hang a bit and read (I will be alone). Any standouts to recommend?

Question # 2: I don’t want to learn about parking garages, lots, hours, rates or download apps - just want to drive into the area to park, ideally surface lot or street parking. Plentiful and easy to find?

Thanks.
1. La Buvette is likely your best choice, though you should know ahead of time, the service can be a bit brusque.

2. Parking at that time of day should be easy. I think a surface lot would be your best option.
Wrightfan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Wrightfan »

Thank you both. This is helpful.