Entertainment districts

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene (mp3 posts)

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

Brad
City Council

Entertainment districts

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am

Entertainment districts win approval

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120330/N ... n-approval

Paul Hammel
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:
LINCOLN — State lawmakers gave final approval Friday for bills that would allow "entertainment districts" near sports arenas and shopping malls and provide some incentives for movie making.

The entertainment district bill was sought primarily by developers seeking to build a multi-restaurant facility near Lincoln's new Haymarket Arena. Under the measure, patrons would be allowed to walk outside with a drink into a commons area and walk into neighboring taverns.

Lincoln Sen. Colby Coash said allowing entertainment districts would increase the economic benefit of the new arena and permit a festival-like atmosphere, similar to the Power and Light District in Kansas City.

The developer of an outlet mall near Cabela's in LaVista also testified in favor of the bill.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Linkin5
County Board

Postby Linkin5 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:49 am

Great News!

HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 am

This is great news! Now the Outlets at Southport can go through with their entertainment district, which hopefully means the project will move forward now.

MTO
City Council

Re: Official: Capitol District

Postby MTO » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Why does the entertainment distric liqueur license thing here have to be modeled after the one in Lincoln is Omaha that incompetent it can't figure it out on its own. How complicaed can it be :what:
15-17, 26, 32

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:32 pm

MTO wrote:Why does the entertainment distric liqueur license thing here have to be modeled after the one in Lincoln is Omaha that incompetent it can't figure it out on its own. How complicaed can it be :what:

Given it's all based on state law why not naturally follow an already successful ordinance?
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 pm

exactly so what difficult about that, Omaha has its own charter and so forth you can't just copy a different municipalities.
15-17, 26, 32

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 am

Per WOWT Channel 6 News:

Proponents, opponents address council on Omaha's proposed entertainment district

The city council is expected to vote on designating the capitol district an entertainment district on January 24th. Tuesday developer Jay Noddle said Aksarben Village will apply to become an entertainment district as well

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Proponents-opponents-address-council-on-Omahas-proposed-entertainment-district-410342855.html

Aksarben an entertainment district????? This is getting to be more drama than an episode of Falcon Crest.
Attachments
FC.jpg
FC.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:54 am

What is an Entertainment District?

Just this?
The proposed entertainment district would allow people to buy drinks at a bar or restaurant and carry them to a common area. Opponents are already lobbying against the changes.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:58 am

Lobbying against the changes? |expletive| why? If you don't like it, don't use it. God I hope the teetotalers burn on this one.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 am

RNcyanide wrote:Lobbying against the changes? |expletive| why? If you don't like it, don't use it. God I hope the teetotalers burn on this one.

They won't win.
15-17, 26, 32

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm

RNcyanide wrote:Lobbying against the changes? |expletive| why? If you don't like it, don't use it. God I hope the teetotalers burn on this one.

This is Nebraska, you can't be surprised.
No posts exist for this topic

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:14 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:

Goddammit, Nebraska.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm

I would expect more of these special districts in the future such as Lot B and ConAgra...
15-17, 26, 32

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Not DUIs? Just binge drinking? Okay..
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:

If Whiteclay got to keep their liquor licenses then this is a shoe in. Marijuana in Nebraska? No. Heavy drinking in Nebraska? Yes, Sir.

buildomaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Entertainment districts

Postby buildomaha » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:43 pm

MTO wrote:I would expect more of these special districts in the future such as Lot B and ConAgra...

Do you know something about ConAgra's plans?! :o

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm

buildomaha wrote:
MTO wrote:I would expect more of these special districts in the future such as Lot B and ConAgra...

Do you know something about ConAgra's plans?! :o

Not at all it just appears to be the trend and being Old Market adjacent.
15-17, 26, 32

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 am

choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

If Whiteclay got to keep their liquor licenses then this is a shoe in. Marijuana in Nebraska? No. Heavy drinking in Nebraska? Yes, Sir.

I totally agree that there's a double standard here. It's okay to exploit native people in the name of selling alcohol, but as soon as it's in their own neighborhood then they don't want it. Jerks

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:22 am

So the neighbors to The Capital District or Aksarben Village apposing these districts??
15-17, 26, 32

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am

MTO wrote:So the neighbors to The Capital District or Aksarben Village apposing these districts??

I'm sure it's mainly moralistic dipwads who have nothing to do with it.

The Bride

swgiust
Home Owners Association

Postby swgiust » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 am

This really is a testament to our society. All they want is to be able blame somebody if something goes wrong. How about you blame the person that just drank 15 beers. Not the bar, not the district.

Linkin5
County Board

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:48 pm

daveoma wrote:
choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I totally agree that there's a double standard here. It's okay to exploit native people in the name of selling alcohol, but as soon as it's in their own neighborhood then they don't want it. Jerks

How are these two things related at all again?

nativeomahan
Planning Board

Postby nativeomahan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:35 pm

These open carry (ironic, huh?) areas have been around for decades in cities, including New Orleans and Key West. And isn't this allowed at P&L in KC and in the Haymarket area in Lincoln? I see no connection whatsoever to "binge drinking" or Whiteclay. It is designed to foster convenience for entertainment district users, and to therefor foster the success of these same districts.
Some people just don't like the concept of others enjoying themselves.
Another irony: if these districts start popping up across Omaha and elsewhere we might start nicknaming our cities "Carry Nation." :;):

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Roseann Moring ‏@roseannmoring wrote:Council passes entertainment districts 7-0, no discussion.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Brad wrote:
Roseann Moring ‏@roseannmoring wrote:Council passes entertainment districts 7-0, no discussion.

Good news, especially for the Capitol District.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:18 pm

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Time to go get drunk at the Capitol District and then go belligerently yell at the hotels nearby for being "too suburban".
No posts exist for this topic

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:05 pm

One upside of HDR not going downtown; Omaha might get a second entertainment district. I like the idea of one at Aksarben; it's a hoppin' place.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Ak Sar Been would be interesting. The bars are more spread out and you will have streets between them.

Greg

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Greg S wrote:Ak Sar Been would be interesting. The bars are more spread out and you will have streets between them.

At first, I believe, it will only be the alleyway between the HDR building and their garage.

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Coyote wrote:
Greg S wrote:Ak Sar Been would be interesting. The bars are more spread out and you will have streets between them.

At first, I believe, it will only be the alleyway between the HDR building and their garage.

I believe you are correct on that. So, what would be interesting is if Noddle can draw a new-to-the-market restaurant/bar. Sweet Jesus, don't let there be a Wild Buffalo Wings announced.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Coyote wrote:

So it's a pretty confined area in Ak-Sar-Ben and not all of the bars will be included? Do you know which ones will be?

Greg

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

So it's a pretty confined area in Ak-Sar-Ben and not all of the bars will be included? Do you know which ones will be?

No restaurants or bars have been announced for Lot 6 yet.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks. Will be interesting to see if any of the existing ones move there. That will clearly be the best location for a bar there.

Greg

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg

This thread was branched off another thread, but somewhere in the past 30 days I remember reading something where they talked about an entertainment district in front of the theater which would include DJ's, Ponzu and Dudley's.

I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg

This thread was branched off another thread, but somewhere in the past 30 days I remember reading something where they talked about an entertainment district in front of the theater which would include DJ's, Ponzu and Dudley's.

I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.

The one in Lincoln crosses over a street
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Linkin5
County Board

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg

It's a pretty low traffic street though, different than Aksarben.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:This thread was branched off another thread, but somewhere in the past 30 days I remember reading something where they talked about an entertainment district in front of the theater which would include DJ's, Ponzu and Dudley's.

Depending on the lot east of Pac Life, there has been talk that this Plaza District may also include Pauli's

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:39 am

Linkin5 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg

It's a pretty low traffic street though, different than Aksarben.

Agree but that wasn't the question. It is also not that low of traffic flow at times.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 am

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.

Sorry, I rarely go down to Lincoln. Which area are you talking about?

EDIT : I assume you're talking about Canopy Street? http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... b3962.html

So you can walk with an open alcoholic drink in your hand from Hiro over to The Railyard, by crossing the street while cars are driving by?

Return to “Dining/Culture/Entertainment”