Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

The Omaha Tap House (Two Locations)

Post by iamjacobm »

The Omaha Tap House (Paxton Building)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120525/GO/705259935/0
The Omaha Tap House, a new gastropub, is opening downtown in the Paxton building.
Owner Kent Letnes, with the St. Cloud, Minn.-based Letnes Restaurant Group, is opening the restaurant in the former Crane Coffee space on the corner of 14th and Farnam Streets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome!  Crazy how many beer places are opening around town.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I was wondering when Gastropubs would be invading this region.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

I do love that Baxton building.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I love the look of this spot.  I hope the new restaurant is a success.  Sounds like it could be.  Downtown really has diversified in terms of dining options, and is no longer mostly an 11 am -2 pm eating area.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

It is a great location. I hope they can make a go of it there. 801 Chophouse next door is my favorite restaurant in Omaha so this could really make the building a dining destination for me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Tap House to open Monday

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120810/G ... emed-beers
OWH Staff writer Sarah Baker Hansen wrote:The Omaha Tap House, on the first floor of downtown Omaha's Paxton Building, is scheduled to open Monday.

The gastropub, at 1403 Farnam St., is in the former Crane Coffee space.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

I walked by here Monday when I ate at Chophouse and it didn't even look close to being ready to open. Glad they got it done and anxious to try it.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I've noticed a trend recently.  What's the deal with so many restaurants opening without websites?  (I say that anecdotally...  it's probably only been a few, but one seems like too many.)

Does anyone go anywhere anymore other than their favorite search engine to find menu, hours, map, etc? This place is opening in a few days and a Google search for "Omaha Tap House" gets you to their Facebook page as the 8th entry.  This thread is literally 9th.

Facebook, etc, just don't cut it as your only marketing.  Even the Letnes management group doesn't have a website.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:I've noticed a trend recently.  What's the deal with so many restaurants opening without websites?  (I say that anecdotally...  it's probably only been a few, but one seems like too many.)

Does anyone go anywhere anymore other than their favorite search engine to find menu, hours, map, etc? This place is opening in a few days and a Google search for "Omaha Tap House" gets you to their Facebook page as the 8th entry.  This thread is literally 9th.

Facebook, etc, just don't cut it as your only marketing.  Even the Letnes management group doesn't have a website.
I have noticed that too. I want to say at least 2 places I have lookd for in the past month had nothing.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Big E wrote:I've noticed a trend recently.  What's the deal with so many restaurants opening without websites?  (I say that anecdotally...  it's probably only been a few, but one seems like too many.)

For me, this thread was the 5th result and their Facebook page is 8th. The first few are OWH articles about it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed their signs are were up today.  Have to try to get a quick picture this weekend.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

typing omahataphouse.com led me straight to their site......   didn't have to ask google to find it for me...  :)

http://omahataphouse.com/
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A Wordpress blog even would be better than nothing. There's always Google Local and Yelp as well.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:typing omahataphouse.com led me straight to their site......   didn't have to ask google to find it for me...  :)

http://omahataphouse.com/
Interesting.  I gave up trying to guess URLs long ago.

Another interesting factoid:  the @omahataphouse Twitter account is already on the first page of results, and it hasn't even been used yet.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

If you don't care about your health, head to the Omaha Tap House...

App: Cheese Curd
Dinner: Bacon and Butter Sandwich with a side of cheese hash browns
Desert: Bacon and Bourbon milk shake

We had good service tonight, Great Beer Menu, and we all enjoyed our food!  I had the Gouda Burger and my only complaint was the bun fell apart.

Mr and Mrs Big E were at the next table over and their chicken wings smelled fantastic!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I haven't been inside yet, but I hope they maintained as much of the urban sophistication of the Crane Coffee operation that proceeded them.  One local food blogger described the interior as dumpy, however.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

Brad - we went back and I ordered those wings - they were awesome. I would actually put them right up there with Oscars (only the bleu cheese at Tap House is 100 times better).
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

redfox1939

Post by redfox1939 »

The Tap House has good potential, enthusiastic and smart staff, and a whole lot of beer. This area of downtown needs a place like this and I think it will work.Overall, the Omaha Tap House experience was very warm and welcoming. The servers were very attentitve and were very excited to know the guests opinions on the food.

Sedona Arizona
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

Went here over the weekend and things have taken a terrible turn for the worse. The bacon & butter sandwich was now one of the saddest things I have seen come out of a kitchen and the wings were pathetic little over fried things. If they don't start paying attention to what is coming out of their kitchen this place will be closed soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mgmlot93 wrote:Went here over the weekend and things have taken a terrible turn for the worse. The bacon & butter sandwich was now one of the saddest things I have seen come out of a kitchen and the wings were pathetic little over fried things. If they don't start paying attention to what is coming out of their kitchen this place will be closed soon.
I hope that was just a one time issues with a bad employee or something they can easily fix, I like that place.  However after seeing that photo you text, that sandwich was horribly bad.  Even a bad employee should have recognized that was wrong...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Tap House offers great service, creative beer list

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121102/G ... -beer-list
Sarah Baker Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Omaha Tap House is just what it appears to be: a sports bar serving lots of sporting events, a menu mostly of burgers and lots and lots of craft beer.

I found some things to like at this bar-meets-restaurant on the busy corner of 13th and Farnam Streets in downtown Omaha, including the extensive beer list, with lots of creative seasonal selections. Two burgers were perfectly seasoned and cooked.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Boy if you are the Tap House, you got to just love that review.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Have to agree with the reviewer, I go to Wisconsin frequently and cheese curds are not supposed to be giant discs of fried goo.  And if you are going to carmelize an onion, then start with one that is tart, as it will sweeten to mid range with cooking.  Starting with a Vidalia just has to result in punishingly sweet flavor.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Best election promo I've seen!
Omaha Tap House wrote:Show us you're I voted sticker and get a free beer, that easy!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:Best election promo I've seen!
Omaha Tap House wrote:Show us you're I voted sticker and get a free beer, that easy!
That's awfully convenient, given that most of the downtown residents vote right across the street at the State Office Building/Keiwit Conference Center.  I may have to hit them up later....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

My Election Day Drink:

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Ha nice!  Pour one out for the hopeful loser OG Romney.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I've been to the Tap house twice and both times it was a terrible experience, I will not give them another chance.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:I've been to the Tap house twice and both times it was a terrible experience, I will not give them another chance.
Whats wrong with it.  All they have to do is pour beer?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:
ItsAllAboutMe wrote:I've been to the Tap house twice and both times it was a terrible experience, I will not give them another chance.
Whats wrong with it.  All they have to do is pour beer?
They have good food when its not screwed up.  As far as the beer, it takes forever to get to your table sometimes.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Both times I've been there they screw-up the food orders to the point we had to check make sure some-else didn't get ours.  Nope, really clueless, horrible service.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Both times I've been there they screw-up the food orders to the point we had to check make sure some-else didn't get ours.  Nope, really clueless, horrible service.
Was there last week. Good beer, good service, good food. Nice change of scene downtown with the beer selection.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They seem to be on or off.  We have had both great visits and bad visits.  You can probably go there 4 days in a row and two days would be good and two would be bad, just really inconsistent.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Thanks, Ill make my visit a happy hour beer only one.   :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Omaha Tap House

Post by Coyote »

I believe Omaha Tap House will take over Pepperwood's Hollywood Videos old bay.
Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha Tap House

Post by Brad »

That's good to hear... When I saw this topic in the rumors section I was afraid you were going to say that you heard it was closing.

I like this place, but I do worry about them. Their beer selection is great, most food items are decent, but their service is so hit or miss.. Usually OK if you are sitting at the bar, but get a table and you are really rolling the dice.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Re: The Omaha Tap House (Paxton Building)

Post by zippy »

Went to the Omaha Tap House on Saturday before the Symphony/Eagles concert. Agree with the sentiment that the food and beer is better than the service.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

zippy wrote:Went to the Omaha Tap House on Saturday before the Symphony/Eagles concert. Agree with the sentiment that the food and beer is better than the service.
If you don't mind eating at the actual bar and not a table, its usually way better service.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Second location in the strip mall with Baker's off 156th and Dodge it looks like.