2012 Taste of Omaha

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

2012 Taste of Omaha

Post by nativeomahan »

Does anyone know when this year's Taste of Omaha will be?  It is one summer festival we never miss.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Its this weekend.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thanks.  I had heard and read zilch on it until I posted here, and an hour later I saw the World Herald's Go section.  Should be a great weekend.  Not too hot.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

The weather should be good and I can hardly wait to try Village Inn (sarcasm).
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Rick's Boatyard needs to figure out a better/faster way to extort $$ for parking. Sick of sitting on Riverfront drive trying to get through and waiting 10-15min for the traffic.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Decided to pass on tonight with the cool weather and occasional rain - maybe tomorrow or sunday
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

We went and there were thousands of people down there tonight.  i know a few people that had booths and they didnt anticipate so many people (it was packed...and a long line of cars even when we left at 8:45).  tried out some stuff but chicago dog ran out of dogs...big mama's ran out of chicken...chef mike ran out of brats and turkey legs...and others had signs up too.  definitely bigger turn out than last year.  still fun, tho.
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Can someone explain the draw of this event to me?  I simply don't get it.  I'm not trying to be snarky, either.  I've attended and you couldn't get me back to it with a cattle prod.
Stable genius.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Big E wrote:Can someone explain the draw of this event to me?  I simply don't get it.  I'm not trying to be snarky, either.  I've attended and you couldn't get me back to it with a cattle prod.
I agree.  It would not take a cattle prod to get me back, but there are a lot of things I would rather do.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I feel the same way.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

For me, and im sure many, it is only because is a festival kind of atmosphere and with kids, we dont have many chances to get out.  its cool to taste different places all in one spot, and they had plenty of beer ;). it was nice outside, good atmosphere (for us anyway).

as a side note, i talked to one of the vendors today and they were told that, as of last night, they had already set the all-time record for attendance.
Go Cubs Go
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:Can someone explain the draw of this event to me?  I simply don't get it.  I'm not trying to be snarky, either.  I've attended and you couldn't get me back to it with a cattle prod.
This.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I find it to be be fun for a few hours.  The food is great, and it's a fun atmosphere around the park and riverfront.  I missed the fountain this year.  I just wish they would work on the non-food vendors and music.  Most of the retail vendors sell junk, and I get tired of all the cover bands.  I'd also like to see craft beer.  It'd be great if Lucky Bucket was the beer vendor even though I'm not a huge LB fan.  I know these are all areas that can be easily improved.

Saturday afternoon/evening was some of the best weather I can remember for Taste of Omaha, but I got bored after a few hours.  I left around 8:30 to watch the hockey game at a nearby bar.  With better music and alcohol though, this is an event I would probably stay the entire night for.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I remember walking through there a few years ago, but I failed to see the value of spending $20 to eat what would otherwise be $5 worth of food off of paper plates.
omaharocks
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omaharocks »

I have attended nearly every Taste of Omaha since it began.  It's a great way to try restaurants you've never been to or discover ones you've never heard of, not to mention sample cuisines you might not otherwise make a restaurant trip for.  It's also a fantastic place for people-watching!  I think it's one of the better festival values around - my spouse and I spent $40 and got food from at least 6 different tents as well as 2 beers each.  Two entrees and four beers can easily run you $40 at an average sports bar, and that's without tax and tip.  We even had 2 tickets to spare that we gave to a couple on our way out.

I've never seen so many people at Taste before, and it's a well-organized event.  It was no surprise a few tents ran out of food.  My only quibbles this year were too many non-food vendors on the Lewis & Clark Landing and tents that don't offer "tastes" or samples - just full meals.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

omaharocks wrote:my spouse and I spent $40 and got food from at least 6 different tents
OK, how?  Last time I went I couldn't even begin to think about eating the portions from more than two places.  That was my biggest beef with it.  I wanted to sample some places, but everyone was serving meal-sized portions.
Stable genius.
omaharocks
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omaharocks »

We shared a featherbone from Uncle Earnie's, an ear of corn, a small pork taco from Maria Bonita, coconut curry chicken from 7M, jambalaya from Jazz, and sausage, dumplings and sauerkraut from Eddie's Catering.  I agree that too many places have full meals, but the most "expensive" thing we sampled was the dish from Eddie's and it was 8 tickets ($5).  The dishes from 7M and Jazz were both served in small bowls, so just a few bites for each of us.  We avoided the tents with things that were 10 tickets or more, but we did notice a few more tents with hand-written signs offering samples of certain items for 1 or 2 tickets each.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

My wife and I have attended Taste in the past. It is a great, fun event.

I would also like to see a better availability of craft beers!

My biggest complaint, is the size of the portions. It's called "Taste"
of Omaha. Not "Meal" of Omaha.

A $ 12 portion of ribs, or a WHOLE pizza is not a taste. Prices are
too high and portions are to big.

This is a management issue. Who ever puts this on needs to instruct
their vendors of the theme of the event. Vendors must understand that
they will sell far more in smaller portions.

We walked by tons of booths and didn't buy because it was to much.
Too much food and too much money!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:OK, how?  Last time I went I couldn't even begin to think about eating the portions from more than two places.  That was my biggest beef with it.  I wanted to sample some places, but everyone was serving meal-sized portions.
LOL, they want you to get full on THEIR food, and have no room left over to sample their competitor's fare. :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We try to attend Taste every year, and we enjoyed our Saturday afternoon visit this year.  It was crowded, but not dangerously or annoyingly so.  We spent about $15-20 per person for food and drink, got to listen to some less than great music, watch a lot of "interesting" people walk by, wave to the folks on the powerboats running up and down the river, and get out in the sun on a beautiful early summer afternoon.  We figured we walked almost two miles to and from our car, so we got some exercise to balance the calories.  And yes, we got to try a couple of restaurants were were unfamiliar with.  The food quality was generally very good, considering the challenges in putting out good food from a small tent.  All in all, we love Taste of Omaha, and similar events held in other cities.  It is, after all, a tourist attraction.