Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: Rasing Cane's Omaha

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:I had a sponsored Facebook ad for Cane's, hiring for 4 new stores. Any idea where the other 2 are? 2 are 144th/Center and 108th/Q.

It could be the two new ones you mentions.... the grand reopening of the store at Westroads with the new location... and the new store in CB
There's one at 129th & Maple (or so). Seems like I saw another one open somewhere, but I may be thinking of yummy Chic-fa-le (or however you spell that). Raising Cains is great, though, imo. I can see why they are all over now. I thought they were started around here, but then I saw a cousin in Las Vegas eating at one (on FB).

Expressed in slang: Love me some Raising Cains!
There's one at 71st and Dodge.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote: There's one at 71st and Dodge.
Oh yeah -- of course. It's right there next to that retro-looking, cool Panda Express! (On the subject of that area: As much as I like old stuff torn down and new things replaced in the vicinity of 72nd & Dodge, sometimes I wish everything didn't get torn down and remodeled to look "current" to make everyone happy and drive business. I wish I could drive to older areas of town and still eat at a funky 70's A&W, or an old red-roof Pizza Hut. Ya know?)
And, 129th & Maple: I'm glad a thriving business, like Raising Cains, went into that slot, as there is something slightly dreary, or something, about that particular stretch there north of Maple (around Super Target). Am I the only person who thinks that? I don't like how that whole NE side of 132nd & Maple turned out for some reason...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:I had a sponsored Facebook ad for Cane's, hiring for 4 new stores. Any idea where the other 2 are? 2 are 144th/Center and 108th/Q.

It could be the two new ones you mentions.... the grand reopening of the store at Westroads with the new location... and the new store in CB
There's one at 129th & Maple (or so). Seems like I saw another one open somewhere, but I may be thinking of yummy Chic-fa-le (or however you spell that). Raising Cains is great, though, imo. I can see why they are all over now. I thought they were started around here, but then I saw a cousin in Las Vegas eating at one (on FB).

There is a Cains near 129th and Maple. IT has been there a little while though. The other four mentions are new or newly located.

Cains got their start in Baton Rouge LA. I ate at cain's when traveling there for work a few times quite a few years ago before they really started to branch out. The first one in this area was on 48th street in Lincoln near Target. The manager of that location a dn owner moved here from Baton Rouge. I believe he has the ownership / rights to all the Omaha / Lincoln Locations.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote: Cains got their start in Baton Rouge LA. I ate at cain's when traveling there for work a few times quite a few years ago before they really started to branch out. The first one in this area was on 48th street in Lincoln near Target. The manager of that location a dn owner moved here from Baton Rouge. I believe he has the ownership / rights to all the Omaha / Lincoln Locations.
Interesting. I didn't know all this until today. I know Popeye's tag line is "Louisiana Kitchen", but I didn't know Raising Cains was from that area, too. Sometimes, surprisingly, Lincoln can get the first restaurant in the area over Omaha, from an outside chain -- because of the large University, I assume. In Downtown Lincoln, they got a Wahoo's Fish Tacos as a first in Nebraska (I'm not sure if it is still there, as I type this), and boy, I enjoyed it while living in Lincoln. In fact, I was first introduced to Wahoo's Fish Tacos living out in Laguna Beach, CA in my young 20's, and that was before it expanded around Southern California, then quickly unto places like Denver, and became so popular. I just couldn't believe Lincoln, NE got one (by my late 30's).

Thanks for the info!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
OHShawn93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OHShawn93 »

There isn't a location at 139th and Maple. You are probably thinking of the one in front of Super Target on 129th and Maple. On the topic of chicken, does anyone know where Slim Chickens is supposed to open. If I remember correctly, it as last summer when they were looking at somewhere in West Omaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OHShawn93 wrote:There isn't a location at 139th and Maple. You are probably thinking of the one in front of Super Target on 129th and Maple. On the topic of chicken, does anyone know where Slim Chickens is supposed to open. If I remember correctly, it as last summer when they were looking at somewhere in West Omaha.

typo

I will fix it
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OHShawn93 wrote:There isn't a location at 139th and Maple. You are probably thinking of the one in front of Super Target on 129th and Maple. On the topic of chicken, does anyone know where Slim Chickens is supposed to open. If I remember correctly, it as last summer when they were looking at somewhere in West Omaha.

Slim Chickens has two locations in Lincoln that I know of but I none yet in Omaha.
debradomayer
Library Board

Re: Raising Cane's Omaha

Post by debradomayer »

Can someone correct the spelling of this thread title to "Raising"? Thanks!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Can someone correct the spelling of this thread title to "Raising"? Thanks!
Sorry, I meant to do that week's ago...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

The ad was for 4 new stores. So, 108th & Q and 144th & Center account for 2 of those.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

The ad was for 4 new stores. So, 108th & Q and 144th & Center account for 2 of those.
I have seen an add on my Facebook feed twice now too as a sponsored item. The last time was yesterday. Both time I saw it is was slightly different but said hiring managers for three new locations.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Guessing they had fixed it

It was in my feed again
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

I was in CB the other day. I seen the lots where Raising Cane's is going getting demo'ed. I did not have a camera at the time to get photos.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Demo has begun on the 144th and Center location. The old Arby's has been leveled.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Just was by there a few minutes ago. It is now a pile of rubble!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Brad wrote:Demo has begun on the 144th and Center location. The old Arby's has been leveled.
Demo began today on the old Godfathers on 108th & Q. They must be tearing down and building these two Canes locations at the same time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Demo began today on the old Godfathers on 108th & Q. They must be tearing down and building these two Canes locations at the same time.
And both are in front of a Bag N Save / Family Fare.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

I sometimes wonder if Raising Cane's, Chick Fil A, and a few others are building a bit too fast. What was once a destination food stop could become available all over town. When they're too easy to get to and seemingly everywhere, will people crave them as much? Or are they sinking to the level of McDonald's and BK, on every other corner, with poor service quality? Food (ha ha) for thought.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

garyomaha wrote:I sometimes wonder if Raising Cane's, Chick Fil A, and a few others are building a bit too fast. What was once a destination food stop could become available all over town. When they're too easy to get to and seemingly everywhere, will people crave them as much? Or are they sinking to the level of McDonald's and BK, on every other corner, with poor service quality? Food (ha ha) for thought.
Well if Raising Cainshas any indication from where they started in Baton Rouge LA they are everywhere and busy. I found them when traveling to BR before they even came to Lincoln so I have followed them a bit. IT has been a couple of years since I have been to BR since I changed employeers but they had no probelm with a lot of locations and being busy when I was there frequently.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Harvey Oaks Raising Cane's.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Council Bluffs Raising Cane's is enclosed and the monument sign is up along west broadway.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

14548 West Center Road location proposed opening date is 11/15/2016

https://raisingcanes.com/location/nebra ... 4th-center
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

108th and Q looks like they are now open...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:108th and Q looks like they are now open...

Drove by about three weeks ago on a Sat on my way to the Rotella's store and they had grand opening signs up that weekend.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New Raisin Cane's going in 50th & L
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Coyote wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 pm New Raisin Cane's going in 50th & L
Woohoo!

Do you know where? I'm guessing either in the old KMart parking lot or the empty grass area between Firestone and Neighborhood Market on the south side of L Street.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

That would make 6 in Omaha, plus one in Bellevue and one in Council Bluffs.

I prefer Zaxbys, I tried them in Kansas City. Is there any news about Slim Chickens coming to Omaha? I know there’s one in Lincoln.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Padre wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I prefer Zaxbys, I tried them in Kansas City. Is there any news about Slim Chickens coming to Omaha? I know there’s one in Lincoln.
If Chicken Express ever entered the Omaha market, that would be something to get excited about...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Padre wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Most everyone I know in Lincoln prefers Canes to Slim's That is all second hand as I have never been to Slims but only eaten it as a take out and that is not a fair comparison.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 pm
Woohoo!

Do you know where? I'm guessing either in the old KMart parking lot or the empty grass area between Firestone and Neighborhood Market on the south side of L Street.
The empty lot at 5011 L St.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Caine's is okay. I wish the breading had some kick to it but the strips are supposed to be paired with a sauce. I've never had bad food there and do like that their menu is extremely simple.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

jessep28 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 am I've never had bad food there and do like that their menu is extremely simple.
And now for a (partially) opposing viewpoint:

I like their chicken a lot but am so distracted by that simple menu that it regularly causes us not to go there. EVERY meal includes fries -- which in my opinion are definitely meh. There are no healthy options to fries, even a multipack of just chicken. Even Wingstop offers carrot and celery sticks, for cryin' out loud. Sometimes a guy wants his chicken with something resembling "vegetables."
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

garyomaha wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm
jessep28 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 am I've never had bad food there and do like that their menu is extremely simple.

I like their chicken a lot but am so distracted by that simple menu that it regularly causes us not to go there. EVERY meal includes fries -- which in my opinion are definitely meh. There are no healthy options to fries, even a multipack of just chicken. Even Wingstop offers carrot and celery sticks, for cryin' out loud. Sometimes a guy wants his chicken with something resembling "vegetables."
You can swap out the fries for cole slaw
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

garyomaha wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Personally, I haven't eaten fries there in forever. I swap fries for a second piece of texas toast. Not exactly healthier, but oh well.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Thanks, guys, not perfect but reasonable substitutes for fries.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love Raising Cane's. Sooooo good. They are out here, too. I didn't know they were national.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RockHarbor wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm I love Raising Cane's. Sooooo good. They are out here, too. I didn't know they were national.
Raising Canes started in Baton Rouge LA near the LSU campus. I was traveling that direction for work many times and got introduced to them when they had just a few locations around LA. This was on the early 2000's before they took off. I have eaten at the original location a number of times.

When they announced they were opening in Lincoln I heard so many people say how will that work, just chicken strips. I told people just wait, you will be hooked. I believe the person that came to lincoln and opened that first NEBR location on 48th street was an early employee in BR LA that worked his way up and got a chance to move and help expand the chain. I don't' know if all the NE locations are part of the same group that started with this one but the Lincoln / Omaha all fall under this manager / franchise / owner.

One thing... For all the time I have been familiar with them the menu has not changed. That is a BIG part of their success.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 am One thing... For all the time I have been familiar with them the menu has not changed. That is a BIG part of their success.
The #1 reason for their success is that Raising Canes uses fresh unfrozen slices of chicken breasts that are hand dipped and cooked in canola oil. That is their niche. KFC or McDonalds or almost any other fast food place uses frozen chicken.

The first 20 times I went to Canes I always got the Box Combo which is 4 chicken fingers, Texas toast, coleslaw, fries and a drink for about $8.50. I almost always threw the coleslaw out as it is the most nasty thing they serve although that toast is lame too. Then one day I tried the 3 finger combo which is the same as the Box combo except you only get 3 chicken fingers and no coleslaw. Bingo that was the ticket. The 3 finger combo is a dollar cheaper and you don't get that worthless coleslaw in the baby sized tub. I also found that 4 chicken fingers was too much and 3 fingers was about right.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I’ve never been there. I grew out of eating fried chicken strips back when I was in high school.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I just knew they had to have fresh chicken -- or something. Oh, and their special, secret, yummy sauce... It is great stuff. And, yes, as I see mentioned, I noticed that they are like In&Out Burger: They have a very simple menu with very basic choices. If you have good fast food, a simple menu that doesn't give you much choice, and good/reasonable prices, you're probably gonna do well. It's kinda a "no brainer."