Raising Cane's Omaha

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

This is one of the more asinine places I've been to in a while.

I went last night around 6, it was busy.  The parcel is much like the new standing Chick-fil-a's(if not identical) and parking was similarly scarce.  I found a parallel spot opposite the two drive-thru lanes pedestrians have to frogger through to get in the building.  

When your order is ready they yell( I mean YELL) your name out, but NO ONE seems to hear.  Perhaps that is because people get tired of waiting("fresh" takes longer) and go sit down in the seating area that's largely out of sight and around the corner from the order counter.  I, however, waited on a large empty bench near the counter and no one yelled out my name when my food was ready.

I got the three finger combo which, including; 3 strips, fries, texas toast, one Cane's sauce and a drink, would seem to be a hefty portion for $7.  I declined the random piece of toast and was offered instead slaw, more sauce or fries.  Yes, they're really excited about their sauce.  I chose extra fries as a substitute filler, which didn't seem like much more than a regular order.  They were functional at best and a little cold given the wait on "fresh".  The quality of the chicken was good but extremely small and bland.  I never thought I'd want more salt on anything at a fast food joint.  Maybe this is where the sauce is supposed to come in.  I didn't try it because, one, I don't eat creamy anything, and two because I'm of the opinion that good fresh fried chicken shouldn't need any sauce.

I'll stick to getting ripped off by the chicken fundamentalists.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Anyone know what's going in next to Raising Cane's there on Dodge?  They look to be staking things out in preparation for excavating/foundation work.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Ben wrote:Anyone know what's going in next to Raising Cane's there on Dodge?  They look to be staking things out in preparation for excavating/foundation work.
Haha, I just asked this question in the Urban forum. I saw that lot work on my way home from work.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Ben wrote:Anyone know what's going in next to Raising Cane's there on Dodge?  They look to be staking things out in preparation for excavating/foundation work.
Haha, I just asked this question in the Urban forum. I saw that lot work on my way home from work.
Wasn't it stated somewhere that a Panda Express was going there?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Wasn't it stated somewhere that a Panda Express was going there?

Oh damn. Here I was hoping for something interesting...or even good.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... anda+canes

here is the thread where it was mentioned.  It is in the post dated Dec 12 2012.

Brad wrote:According to Grow Omaha, Panda Express will build at 72nd and Dodge next to the new Rasin Canes chicken place where the Family Fun Center was located.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Whether you like them or not, this is awesome.  

garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

We finally got around to trying Raising Cane's today.  My response (admittedly as an old guy) is "Eh?"  It was okay but there was nothing special about it that would entice me back.  

One thing I was very surprised at was the simple, simple menu -- I don't believe I've seen that short a menu since the early days of McDonald's when you could order a hamburger, cheeseburger, fries, pop, or shake...and that was it.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

garyomaha wrote:One thing I was very surprised at was the simple, simple menu -- I don't believe I've seen that short a menu since the early days of McDonald's when you could order a hamburger, cheeseburger, fries, pop, or shake...and that was it.
Haven't been to Five Guys, then.  Cheeseburgers (with option to remove burger or cheese), fries, drinks.  Oh, and a hot dog.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

HskrFanMike wrote:
garyomaha wrote:One thing I was very surprised at was the simple, simple menu -- I don't believe I've seen that short a menu since the early days of McDonald's when you could order a hamburger, cheeseburger, fries, pop, or shake...and that was it.
Haven't been to Five Guys, then.  Cheeseburgers (with option to remove burger or cheese), fries, drinks.  Oh, and a hot dog.
Essentially, yes, but the options for toppings on Five Guys burgers, IMHO, somewhat make the menu complicated.  All those toppings are not a bad thing, but it does take time to process the toppings -- at least for us old guys.  :;):
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Rasing Cane's Omaha

Post by skinzfan23 »

Raising Cane's is building a new 3,700 sq ft restaurant at 12930 W Maple in front of Target where Carlos o'Kellys used to be located.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Raising Cane's is building a new 3,700 sq ft restaurant at 12930 W Maple in front of Target where Carlos o'Kellys used to be located.
Building/demo, or renovating?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not quite sure...is Carlos' old building still there?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Not quite sure...is Carlos' old building still there?
Yep
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Building permit lists new building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Walmart on hunt for even more Nebraska locations for Neighborhood Market stores
Brokers also heard from other businesses looking to expand in the region over the next two years, including Verizon Wireless, Smoothie King, Raising Cane’s, Jimmy’s Egg, Heartland Dental, Great Clips, Firehouse Subs, Famous Footwear, Carter’s and Bricktown Brewery.
Rick Fuchs, vice president of real estate at Raising Cane’s, said the chain’s location near 72nd and Dodge Streets broke company sales records when it opened in 2014.
Ryan_Huskers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan_Huskers »

Raising Cane's is now open at 129th & Maple.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Ryan_Huskers wrote:Raising Cane's is now open at 129th & Maple.
I was there on the 19th for an invitation only day, their first public day was the 20th.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Noticed last night when I was at SuperTarget that this place was really busy. Very long line in the drive thru.

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Greg S wrote:Noticed last night when I was at SuperTarget that this place was really busy. Very long line in the drive thru.

Greg
I tried it out Sunday... Long line outside and no line instead. People just don't know how to get out of their cars these days. :lol:
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

I also heard that Rasing Cane's at Westroads will relocate to near Dick's on the second level when the Food Court shuts down at year end.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

lonnie wrote:I also heard that Rasing Cane's at Westroads will relocate to near Dick's on the second level when the Food Court shuts down at year end.
That's good. They are one of the few decent ones currently there.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

I don't get the sauce at Raising Cane's. I've heard/read that it's the greatest thing and the reason many like the place so much. I've tried their food -- the chicken is fine but I don't taste anything in the sauce -- definitely not something that would bring me there (or push me away, for that matter). Perhaps it's a flavor I'm not sensitive to? I get more zing out of Arby's Horsey Sauce. :lol:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

garyomaha wrote:I don't get the sauce at Raising Cane's. I've heard/read that it's the greatest thing and the reason many like the place so much. I've tried their food -- the chicken is fine but I don't taste anything in the sauce -- definitely not something that would bring me there (or push me away, for that matter). Perhaps it's a flavor I'm not sensitive to? I get more zing out of Arby's Horsey Sauce. :lol:
The sauce is just mayo, ketchup, and some seasoning, people love it though.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks like they are expanding to CB as well (this will be right across the 25th street from Walgreens and diagonal from Thomas Jefferson High School) :

National chicken chain coming to West Broadway
Raising Cane’s, a national restaurant specializing in chicken, appears to be coming to 25th Street and West Broadway, a city official said Monday. 24th Broadway Development LLC, the developer behind the anticipated restaurant, has options to buy five properties along Broadway, North 25th Street and Avenue A for the restaurant, Gross said.

Omaha has three Raising Cane’s locations: “Chicken of the Corn,” Store No. 202, at 12930 W. Maple Road; ”King of the Court,” Store No. 134, 10000 California St. at Westroads Mall; and “Numero UNO,” store No. 118, at 7060 Dodge St. near the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Raising Cane taking over the Arby's at 145th & W Center.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Raising Cane taking over the Arby's at 145th & W Center.

Wonder if it will be a tear down and rebuild.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Good news. We got an Arby's out here in Millard they can take over too. Arbys is worthless!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Linkin5 wrote:
garyomaha wrote:I don't get the sauce at Raising Cane's. I've heard/read that it's the greatest thing and the reason many like the place so much. I've tried their food -- the chicken is fine but I don't taste anything in the sauce -- definitely not something that would bring me there (or push me away, for that matter). Perhaps it's a flavor I'm not sensitive to? I get more zing out of Arby's Horsey Sauce. :lol:
The sauce is just mayo, ketchup, and some seasoning, people love it though.
I agree about the sauce. I think if they had more that one choice that business might increase. If I go there I bring my own BBQ sauce. I like the chicken fingers but I don't want their house sauce.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:

I believe it will be a total makeover, demolition and all...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

nebugeater wrote:

I'd hope so. That building was a Rax before an Arby's. Been there since 1985 at least.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I'd hope so. That building was a Rax before an Arby's. Been there since 1985 at least.
Good point.

Don't think I have ever been in that building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bbinks wrote:That building was a Rax before an Arby's. Been there since 1985 at least.
Pretty good, built in 1985.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'd even take Arby's chicken strips over the garbage at Raising Cane's.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

MadMartin8 wrote:I'd even take Arby's chicken strips over the garbage at Raising Cane's.
See, that's why we have both. I like Raising Cane's and love the sauce. I don't like Arby's. Everyone is happy.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MadMartin8 wrote:I'd even take Arby's chicken strips over the garbage at Raising Cane's.
Arbys is known for its low quality processed meats. Raising Canes is known for its high quality chicken that has not been mixed or cut with any additives like you get with Arby's. Most people can easily see and taste the tremendous difference in quality between the meat at Arbys and Raising Canes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Raisin Cane's will take over/demolish the Godfathers on the NW corner of 108th & Q.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I had a sponsored Facebook ad for Cane's, hiring for 4 new stores. Any idea where the other 2 are? 2 are 144th/Center and 108th/Q.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:I had a sponsored Facebook ad for Cane's, hiring for 4 new stores. Any idea where the other 2 are? 2 are 144th/Center and 108th/Q.

It could be the two new ones you mentions.... the grand reopening of the store at Westroads with the new location... and the new store in CB
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:I had a sponsored Facebook ad for Cane's, hiring for 4 new stores. Any idea where the other 2 are? 2 are 144th/Center and 108th/Q.

It could be the two new ones you mentions.... the grand reopening of the store at Westroads with the new location... and the new store in CB
There's one at 129th & Maple (or so). Seems like I saw another one open somewhere, but I may be thinking of yummy Chic-fa-le (or however you spell that). Raising Cains is great, though, imo. I can see why they are all over now. I thought they were started around here, but then I saw a cousin in Las Vegas eating at one (on FB).

Expressed in slang: Love me some Raising Cains!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.