Railcar Modern Amercian Kitchen (144th & Blondo)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaharocks
New to the Neighborhood

Railcar Modern Amercian Kitchen (144th & Blondo)

Post by omaharocks »

Signage is up at the old Vincenzo's location at 144th & Blondo for a new restaurant called the Railcar.  Anyone know any details?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

looks like my kind of theme restaurant!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:looks like my kind of theme restaurant!
lol. Based on all the train pictures you post, I'd say it is!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Brad wrote:looks like my kind of theme restaurant!
lol. Based on all the train pictures you post, I'd say it is!
Heck, I don't even post half of them on here...  Speaking of, I think I am like 6 months behind on that thread...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sarah Baker Hansen, OWH wrote:Omaha chef Jared Clarke has opened a new restaurant. Railcar Modern American Kitchen is serving comfort food, craft beers, signature cocktails and wine at its location off 144th and Blondo Streets.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121214/G ... n-now-open
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We checked out the Railcar tonight.  Overall impressions were good.  

First off, we pull in to the strip mall where it is located.  The parking lot was packed so we figured the palace was packed.  However when we walked in the place was empty.  After talking to one of the four owners we found out there is a dance studio somewhere in the strip mall that has something on Mondays and Tuesdays.

We were promptly greeted and found our seat.  We checked out the drink menu and I was surprised to find 2 beers that I have not heard of.  I am not a big beer snob or anything, but I tend to know all the beers on tap at most restaurants in town.  The server came by and I asked her about one of the beers and she couldn't really tell me about it.  After a bit of mumbling, she said "Its like an Amber".  Whatever, I will try it.

After ordering our drinks I started to look around.  After all we were at a Restaurant called "railcar" and everyone know how much I like trains.  I was disappointed in the decor.  There were may be a dozen or so mass produced railroad posters on the walls and a small railroad crossing sign by the door.  Other than the lack of railroad theme, the decor, paint, lighting was all good.  The tables seemed to be made of a recycled gymnasium floor which were cool.

On to the food.  We started with a Chicken flatbread and also a Pork-belly Fagioli appetizer.  Both were great.  I wouldn't change the flatbread it was good.  The Fagioli was great, but I would like to see a little more Pork Belly in it.

Before we ordered entrees we were were told they were out of the "ALL NATURAL STOUT BRAISED SHORT RIBS" which one of our group was going to order.  I ended up with the "MAJESTIC PORK NORMANDY", which was great.  The pork was tender and had a great sweet apple flavor which contrasted well with the herbal flavor of the Cauliflower hash.  Matt got the got the "WILD MUSHROOM AND RIGATONI FONDUE" which was excellent.  The girls both got salads.

When we were leaving the owner was at the door, he said thanks for coming but never asked how everything was, which seemed weird for a new place.

Moral of the story.  Food Great - Service Average - place decent.

However since I live in Midtown and the restaurant is at 144th and Blondo, I won't bet there often  I do hope people in NW support it because they did have good food.  Hopefully the service will work itself out, they have only been open a week.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wish them success.  However the restaurant theme is odd, and I don't see it as one that will attract many people.  And poor service will turn people off faster than mediocre food.  Lets check back on this thread in a year and see if they are still around, or whether the train leaves the station without them.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

So, there's relatively little "rail" theme to the place?  I (another railfan) was hoping for meals with rail-inspired names, or better yet from old dining car recipes.  I was thinking of a Seattle place (I think KC has one, too) that serves your order on a model train.  I was hoping there were lots of historical photos of the area's rich train history.  Heck, a wall of Brad's photos alone would be worth it.  Perhaps (though not for everyone) train-themed music would be playing.  

None of that???
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

We tried the railcar out last week. Food was Okay. Maybe even good. Our waiter had just a hint of condescending attitude when my wife asked a question about one of the menu items. I would have never guessed this place had a railcar theme if not for the name given the sparse decorating. Bottom-line it was good but not good enough to make me want to pass up all the other great options in town to come here. I don't see this one making it. But, hey, I have been wrong plenty of times before.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

My father-in-law is obsessed with everything to do with trains.  He has never rode on one, so Im thinking of travelling somewhere on the AmTrak with him in the future, but does anybody think this place is decked out w/ enough train stuff to make it worth taking him there for dinner just because of the theme?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

If your father-in-law is going there specifically for the train stuff, I think he will be disappointed.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

guy4omaha wrote:If your father-in-law is going there specifically for the train stuff, I think he will be disappointed.
Between your opinion, and Brad's statement about being disappointed by the overall lack of a railroad theme, I will probably skip this place.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have been meaning to try Railcar for some time, so when I received word that they were serving Gumbo on a rainy day it was time to try them out. It takes up two bays in the Stonehenge strip mall just south of the SW corner of 144th and Blondo. Floors are concrete with very visible cracks in them, has 'railyard decor' but nothing suggests anything to do with Omaha's past. I arrived at 11:30 and was the only one there greeted by three of the wait staff. By the time I left there were more than a dozen tables taken, with a large group of elderly ladies in the back 'party room'. The sound system played big band music from the 50's.

My waitress was very helpful and knew the menu well. I watched the rest of the wait staff and noticed no signs of incompetence. I ordered the Half cup of Andouille/Chicken Gumbo, Half Butternut Squash/Prosciutto Flatbread, and they had Abita Springs Turbodog! Meal was $9. I was pleasantly surprised at the gumbo and the flatbread was rather good. I would go back to try some of their other options...

Brad
City Council

Re: Railcar Modern Amercian Kitchen (144th & Blondo)

Post by Brad »

OWH Cops Reporters ‏@OWHCrime wrote:Elderly man strikes Railcar restaurant, 1814 N. 144th Street, with his car. No serious injuries.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm sure his brakes suddenly failed.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
OWH Cops Reporters ‏@OWHCrime wrote:Elderly man strikes Railcar restaurant, 1814 N. 144th Street, with his car. No serious injuries.

Goin off the rails on a crazy trrrraiiiin.
No posts exist for this topic
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Re:

Post by Globochem »

Coyote wrote:I have been meaning to try Railcar for some time, so when I received word that they were serving Gumbo on a rainy day it was time to try them out. It takes up two bays in the Stonehenge strip mall just south of the SW corner of 144th and Blondo. Floors are concrete with very visible cracks in them, has 'railyard decor' but nothing suggests anything to do with Omaha's past. I arrived at 11:30 and was the only one there greeted by three of the wait staff. By the time I left there were more than a dozen tables taken, with a large group of elderly ladies in the back 'party room'. The sound system played big band music from the 50's.

My waitress was very helpful and knew the menu well. I watched the rest of the wait staff and noticed no signs of incompetence. I ordered the Half cup of Andouille/Chicken Gumbo, Half Butternut Squash/Prosciutto Flatbread, and they had Abita Springs Turbodog! Meal was $9. I was pleasantly surprised at the gumbo and the flatbread was rather good. I would go back to try some of their other options...

I have to say that the food looks like it was eaten by someone else and then spit back out onto the plate. I also enjoy how the soup has spilled over the sides without a wipe and then served haphazardly to you. Bodes poorly in the "looks good, tastes good" department.