Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Salty Dog Bar and Grill (CB)

Post by Brad »

Salty Dog (S24th Street)
411 S 24th St, Council Bluffs, IA 51501

We watched the Super Bowl Last night at the Salty Dog in Council Bluffs.  It was a good place.  

Good Menu, large beer selection, lots of TVs.  The Char Buff Wings were Great!
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

That's the Horseshoe employee hangout.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tonight they are working on Bacon wrapped char buff double dipped wings!! The Char Buff Double Dip are amazing, I can't even imagine these!!!

bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Brad wrote:Tonight they are working on Bacon wrapped char buff double dipped wings!! The Char Buff Double Dip are amazing, I can't even imagine these!!!

I better not show those to my husband!  He loves their wings...and he loves bacon!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Salty Dog Bar and Grill (S24th Street)

Post by Coyote »

A few of us met at the Salty Dog today trying to find the best wings in town. Their Charbuff Wings were very good, with a nice crisp skin but tender meat underneath. Had it with their Blue Cheese sauce with a side of their Ghost sauce. The later had more flavor than I expected while maintaining its immense heat. plenty of screens around with the KU vs UT basketball game, and the Marquette vs Georgetown games on. Beer selection was a normal sports bar variety, but nothing to cheer about and I ended up with a SA Cold Snap. Many of us received the wrong bills at the end, but given it was a large group I can almost forgive that, but mine had two orders of wings and an ice tea.

Coyote
City Council

Re: Salty Dog Bar and Grill (CB)

Post by Coyote »

At The Salty Dog, crispy, dry wings take time but are worth the wait

SARAH BAKER HANSEN, Grow Omaha wrote:I wasn’t expecting to be writing a full review of The Salty Dog. My plan was to run in, try their chicken wings — recommended to me by some restaurant industry friends — and write a few sentences about them on my blog. But it turned out that the bar and grill, tucked in a strip mall in Council Bluffs about five minutes from downtown Omaha, had wings good enough that I got curious: What was their burger like. And here we are. I hadn’t heard of The Salty Dog, but during my two visits it was crowded each time with locals, families, young baseball players, glammed up little girls coming in straight from a dance competition and lots of regulars holding down the bar. Apparently I’m the last to know.

You all know by now that I’ve been eating a lot of wings since the launch of the 2025 food bracket, which ended with our closest vote ever on Monday. The wings at The Salty Dog are singular in my tastings, particularly because of their “extra crispy extra dry” technique. According to the menu, the kitchen fries the wings for a full 20 minutes, then grills them “extra long,” resulting in a dry, crispy skinned wing that still has a tender center. I was intrigued. Worth noting: the menu asks diners to be patient, as this particular wing can take up to a half hour to cook.

The Salty Dog Bar & Grill
Salty Dog CB
2411 S. 24th St., Council Bluffs
712-256-4851
Hours: Open daily: 11a – 2a