Voodoo Tacos

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Voodoo Tacos

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Voodoo Taco posted on Facebook that the owner/founder Eric Newton has passed away.
Bummer, he was such a nice guy, I had lunch with him several times...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Voodoo Taco posted on Facebook that the owner/founder Eric Newton has passed away.
Bummer, he was such a nice guy, I had lunch with him several times...
Didn't know him personally, but he was a great contributor to the city. Condolences to his family and friends.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

WOWT had a link to their story on this on Facebook. Some of the comments on the Facebook post were unbelievably rude
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:

WOWT had a link to their story on this on Facebook. Some of the comments on the Facebook post were unbelievably rude
I think the comments sections on news stories are where the worst of all the internet trolls hang out. I only met the guy a couple times and he was always very nice and I never heard a bad thing about him.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:

I stopped reading news comment sections, some of the most vile hatred is posted on those.

Anyway, RIP. Does anybody know the cause of death?
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I think the comments sections on news stories are where the worst of all the internet trolls hang out. I only met the guy a couple times and he was always very nice and I never heard a bad thing about him.
Shortly after they opened they catered lunch for my job. He was there, I didn't really talk to him other than to thank him and tell him I liked the tacos. He seemed like a nice guy. I hope his friends and family find comfort in his memory.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I finally visited a Voodoo recently. I really feels like they tried to mimic Velvet Taco, a small chain in Texas https://velvettaco.com. Similar price points, some unique meat/flavor options. I think they just miss the mark when it comes to quality of product. Just one small example, but Velvet makes all their tortillas in house, you see it happen right in front of you while you wait and the product just seemed to have more care and thought into the toppings.

I think there is a place in Omaha for this kind of product, it works elsewhere. Just could use some better execution.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

iamjacobm wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:58 pm I finally visited a Voodoo recently. I really feels like they tried to mimic Velvet Taco, a small chain in Texas https://velvettaco.com. Similar price points, some unique meat/flavor options. I think they just miss the mark when it comes to quality of product. Just one small example, but Velvet makes all their tortillas in house, you see it happen right in front of you while you wait and the product just seemed to have more care and thought into the toppings.

I think there is a place in Omaha for this kind of product, it works elsewhere. Just could use some better execution.
Been there once, had so so food for a lot more money than I would happily pay for so so food.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

They definitely went downhill. Last time I went at the 90th location the chicken was so dried up it was like jerky. I give restaurants 2 tries after an off visit. Voodoo failed, so did the old Legends by my house. Been 11 years since I was there.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

bbinks wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 pm They definitely went downhill. Last time I went at the 90th location the chicken was so dried up it was like jerky. I give restaurants 2 tries after an off visit. Voodoo failed, so did the old Legends by my house. Been 11 years since I was there.
I didn't have good luck with the 90th St location, but the Aksarben Village location never let me down.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Side note.. is the remodel of the old 90th into the new concept still going forward since the fire?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've still never tried the place..

Most people I know who have, either really, really liked it.. Or really, really didn't..

I'll give the AK Village joint a try sometime soon...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

bbinks wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:46 pm Side note.. is the remodel of the old 90th into the new concept still going forward since the fire?
I regularly visit the House of Lee in that same strip mall. (Loved the midtown House of Lee until it went away to make way for Midtown Crossing.) It looks to me like remodeling of the corner bay (where Voodoo Taco was) has come to a halt. Then again, I did not walk up and look in the windows. It's been empty a long time now. There are several other empty bays there, too.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I wasn't impressed. My son is a friend of his. Not worth spending my money there.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:46 pm Side note.. is the remodel of the old 90th into the new concept still going forward since the fire?
It is dead. They took a long time to clean up after the fire and the owner passed away. I use to visit the n 90th one at least a couple of times a month as it was only a mile or so away --- I don't get to aksarben that often so haven't been in quite awhile.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

While at Jack & Mary's today, I noticed that the 114th location is closed.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

bbinks wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 pm While at Jack & Mary's today, I noticed that the 114th location is closed.
They posted on Facebook they were closing a month or so ago and would be finding another location in West Omaha.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

BPHusker wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:37 am
bbinks wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 pm While at Jack & Mary's today, I noticed that the 114th location is closed.
They posted on Facebook they were closing a month or so ago and would be finding another location in West Omaha.
That location was supposed to be better than the 90th store, hence the first move. Seems like they have some bad planning. 114th was around 18 months maybe.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Voodoo taco has been mentioned in a couple of threads recently.

I just do not see how this place makes a go of it. Where is the value in spending what they charge. I do not see it in quality of what is provided at all. I will pay well for a quality product but each time I go to one of these I walk away saying I knew better. Glad they seem successful but for me i don't get it.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:37 am Voodoo taco has been mentioned in a couple of threads recently.

I just do not see how this place makes a go of it. Where is the value in spending what they charge. I do not see it in quality of what is provided at all. I will pay well for a quality product but each time I go to one of these I walk away saying I knew better. Glad they seem successful but for me i don't get it.
My take on this place is exactly the same. It just doesn't seem to have a reason to exist. There are better tacos on 24th street out of a truck window. We tried the 114th street location and just couldn't justify going back. To get two tacos was nearly as expensive as a whole meal at places we otherwise go to in the area.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I think I have eaten at every restaurant in AkSarBen Village (including the Godfathers) but know better than to go to Voodo for all the same reasons listed. I do not want to pay almost 16 dollars for 3 averaged sized tacos.

I would love to get a more reasonable priced taco place into AV though. Hoppy Taco in Dundee would be great down there I think
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I realize these aren’t in Omaha, but “taco tours” are popular down here in PV. You can take breakfast (desayuno), luncheon (comida) or dinner (cena) taco tours, which usually involve 4 or 5 places, plus often ice cream to end the tour. The average price of a carnitas or asado taco is 13-16 pesos (about 75-85 cents) per taco. Fish, shrimp or octopus versions top out at about a dollar. Four tacos would fill most people up. Of course I usually go for 5.
The tacos pictured were not from the tour. They were 5 fish tacos served at one of our favorite street side cafes.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0kH8tLK ... os_Muertos
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

I think the tacos at Voodoo Taco are great.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I still have yet to try this place..

Honestly from what I’ve been told, the cost ratio compared to what you actually get just doesn’t seem worth it to me..Hence why I haven’t been in any hurry eat there..

Never say never though...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm I still have yet to try this place..

Honestly from what I’ve been told, the cost ratio compared to what you actually get just doesn’t seem worth it to me..Hence why I haven’t been in any hurry eat there..

Never say never though...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
DOn't bother. I have tried it enough times even though I know better you can use one of mine as your try.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ScrattyB wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am I think the tacos at Voodoo Taco are great.

There has to be someone out there to have them be open. Glad you like it.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I use to go the one on n 90th and thought it was ok. But don’t visit either one much any more.

Jimmy Buffett
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

ScrattyB wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am I think the tacos at Voodoo Taco are great.
I like them too. They're not the most authentic, but then they're not trying to be either. They're pricier than most people want to pay for tacos, but the ones I've ordered have always been stuffed full. It would take 2 or 3 South-O taco truck tacos to get the same amount of food I usually get in a single Voodoo Taco.

My only complaints are that seasoning they put on their nacho chips (which isn't optional) and service is hit or miss. Sometimes I'm blown away by how friendly and genuine they are and sometimes I'm blown away by their indifference and incompetence. I guess it really depends on whose working that day.

I typically frequent the one in Gretna at NEX.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Voodoo is overpriced. I've generally liked what I've had there, but the cost is a barrier for me to consider it. Still, I'd probably take it over the fad of Street Tacos. I've had so many people tell me of amazing street tacos they've had, but I just don't get it. They are cheap, but that's about all I usually find they have going for them. They all tend to taste the same to me and I need to eat about 6 of them to get full which defeats the purpose of them being cheap.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Street tacos are hardly a “fad.” And where I live they are about M$13-17 apiece. Three will fill you up for under US$3.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am Street tacos are hardly a “fad.” And where I live they are about M$13-17 apiece. Three will fill you up for under US$3.
Don’t know where these are, but I agree with an earlier post that they are often one or two bites and I usually don’t consider 3 to be filling. At least the ones I have had in Nebraska.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You can get any Taco as a Burrito or Nacho.
Steak Fajita Nacho:

image.png
image.png (6.83 MiB) Viewed 5190 times
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am Street tacos are hardly a “fad.” And where I live they are about M$13-17 apiece. Three will fill you up for under US$3.
I'd say that street tacos are absolutely a fad for suburban white people.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

omaha79 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 pm
I'd say that street tacos are absolutely a fad for suburban white people.
Not in Lexington. Plenty of Hispanic and white gills eating at Rosario’s last time we were there.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Lol go to Dos de oros and tell me street tacos are a white people thing!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Street tacos ARE a fad. Yes, they've been around forever. However, they're more popular than ever outside of their core demographic and more and more chain restaurants are adding them to their menu. They were around before the fad and they'll be around after the fad, but that doesn't make them any less of a fad.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Taco wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:28 pm Lol go to Dos de oros and tell me street tacos are a white people thing!
I'm talking about all the suburban white hipsters that have discovered street tacos over the last few years and talk about it like it's some revelation they've discovered and added to the local scene.

That's the part that annoys me.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

omaha79 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm
Taco wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:28 pm Lol go to Dos de oros and tell me street tacos are a white people thing!
I'm talking about all the suburban white hipsters that have discovered street tacos over the last few years and talk about it like it's some revelation they've discovered and added to the local scene.

That's the part that annoys me.
Would it be preferable that they hadn't discovered it? Seems like its been pretty dang beneficial to the trucks coming from South O.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

fad

noun
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

When I think of fads I think of beanie baby’s, cabbage patch dolls, and potato skins.

Street tacos have a long and storied history. The fact that they weren’t familiar to people in your demographic until recently doesn’t make them a fad. Back in the 1980s the film Urban Cowboy helped fuel a run on cowboy boots (I still have mine. Remember Shepler’s). That didn’t make cowboy boots a fad, as they had been around for generations and are still around. Their popularity simply waxed and waned.

Street tacos are simply too delicious to fade away. Come down to PV and I will line you up with one of the “taco tours” that frequently sell out. Or I will just take you on my own walk through Old Town. Three or four will fill just about anyone up. Of course that doesn’t mean we need to stop at four. Just save room for helados afterward.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Received an email yesterday that Voodoo aksarben is going to start serving breakfast.

Jimmy Buffett