Voodoo Tacos

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Voodoo Tacos

Post by Uffda »

Came across this on FB tonight. It is opening August 6th, the spot where Salgados was.

Voodoo Taco will be a fast-casual restaurant specializing in gourmet tacos; he pointed out that this new eatery’s ingredients and recipes will be “all over the board and will be a completely unique concept” to the Omaha area.  Specifically mentioned by Chef Newton was the fact that Voodoo Taco will be serving virtually every meat under the sun (jalapeño sausage, salmon, alligator, and lobster, just to name a few) with the sole exception of ground beef.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Voodoo-T ... 5161134181

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Interesting (Under construction...):

http://voodootaco.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

“Voodoo Taco” Launching in Omaha
Omaha News wrote:According to Newton, Voodoo Taco will be a fast-casual restaurant specializing in gourmet tacos; he pointed out that this new eatery’s ingredients and recipes will be “all over the board and will be a completely unique concept” to the Omaha area.  Specifically mentioned by Chef Newton was the fact that Voodoo Taco will be serving virtually every meat under the sun (jalapeño sausage, salmon, alligator, and lobster, just to name a few) with the sole exception of ground beef.

“We want to take the vibes of Austin and Portland, and find a way to naturally blend those with the Omaha scene; and of course, serve the absolute best tasting and value priced tacos ever to hit this city.”
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Nice concept.  I really question the location, however.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This location is very much another of the doomed restaurant locations around town... I'm sure I'll be giving this a shot though since its a mile away from where I'll be staying when I move back and I LOVE mexican food! It sounds like it will be pretty tasty though just wonder how many people will be turned off by their attitude of if you don't like what we do then too bad.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

guitarguy wrote:This location is very much another of the doomed restaurant locations around town... I'm sure I'll be giving this a shot though since its a mile away from where I'll be staying when I move back and I LOVE mexican food! It sounds like it will be pretty tasty though just wonder how many people will be turned off by their attitude of if you don't like what we do then too bad.
That far north on 90th is out of the way for all the people in Omaha who live south of Dodge and all the people who live east of 60th street north of Dodge.   It is also surprisingly out of the way for the people in far NW Omaha, who seem to drive west on Dodge and once home, cut off eastern travel on Maple at I-680.   Have to agree, that it seems doomed.  Not entirely though, as Jim and Jennie's Greek Village has been booming for a long time.  But then, they don't have the attitude problem that you picked up on.

Frankly, it is a bad plan to not have ground beef tacos there.  There are people who will go there once for some exotic meat, find they like the place and the rest of the food, but not the meat.  They will want to go back, but give up as they don't want or cant afford exotic meat tacos.   There are a lot of us who are adventurous eaters but who have family/friends who are less so.   Will I go there with a group of such people?  No.   They could have the best tacos ever, and I am still going to pass as the friends being happy is more important than some alligator taco.  

Hope they don't go too far into debt to open this one year and done place.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I suppose they also didn't realize that Ablardoes Spelling? is right down the street and kicks complete A$$... This area of the city is pure families looking for a Restaurant they can frequent that won't have all the kids fighting the whole time about not liking the food. Clearly not what this place has to offer!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

guitarguy wrote:I suppose they also didn't realize that Ablardoes Spelling? is right down the street and kicks complete A$$... This area of the city is pure families looking for a Restaurant they can frequent that won't have all the kids fighting the whole time about not liking the food. Clearly not what this place has to offer!
Of all the fast food mexican, this place rules over all (including the taco trucks except Dos De Oros).   But again, they have exotic food (for the taste buds of Omaha), but they also have regular food.  If I want some really out there combination, and my wife wants a couple of tacos, not problem.  Don't sound like that will be the case with Voodoo.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I don't have any problem with a taco place not serving ground beef.  I never order ground beef in a taco.  Much too greasy.  Once you try other proteins in a taco your taste buds will grow up and you will never go back to ground beef.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

guitarguy wrote:This location is very much another of the doomed restaurant locations around town... I'm sure I'll be giving this a shot though since its a mile away from where I'll be staying when I move back and I LOVE mexican food! It sounds like it will be pretty tasty though just wonder how many people will be turned off by their attitude of if you don't like what we do then too bad.
Julio's survived in this spot for many years.   It's 2 successors did not last long.  Matts' Grill and Salgados were the same owner I believe.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

bbinks wrote:
Julio's survived in this spot for many years.   It's 2 successors did not last long.  Matts' Grill and Salgados were the same owner I believe.
I remember Julios.. was pretty good but the reason it survived so long was because it was simple no nonsense Mexican. A place where you could take your family and everyone would be happy... back when they were open the population in NW Omaha was a lot less as well. I'm sure there is some format that will thrive here.. I bet a Diner would do great here now that Golden Corral shut down.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

guitarguy wrote:
bbinks wrote:
guitarguy wrote: I remember Julios.. was pretty good but the reason it survived so long was because it was simple no nonsense Mexican. A place where you could take your family and everyone would be happy... back when they were open the population in NW Omaha was a lot less as well. I'm sure there is some format that will thrive here.. I bet a Diner would do great here now that Golden Corral shut down.
Golden Corral just relocated to 72nd and Crown Point. Not hat far from this location.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Haha that is pretty close.. Been almost 4 years since I've lived in Omaha honestly the only reason that Golden Corral shut down was because of a greedy owner and not because they didn't do big business. Good to see another one opened up to serve NW Omaha.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

They put up the menu on their FB page

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Now on PinPoint.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We plan to check it out tonight.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was extremely disappointed with Voodoo Tacos. It took more than 30 minutes to get these two tacos which from their looks should have taken no more than 5 minutes. I have read MANY complaints about the service here. While I was waiting two ladies walked in an said they phoned in their order 40 minutes previous to arriving. They were not ready. They had to wait 15 minutes.

I ordered the Alligator and the Baja Shrimp Tacos. 30 minutes later (at 1:30 - after the lunch crowd should have been gone) the waiter came by and said "Alligator and Chicken Tacos?" I said "Alligator and Baja Shrimp?" He looked at my platters and said, Yes, Baja Shrimp. So I thought the shrimp may be battered and started with the Alligator Taco, which was good, seasoned well, had a corn, tomato mixture and great seasoning, so I could excuse the wait. The I went after the Baja Shrimp. After a few bites I realized it was indeed Chicken, and seemed just thrown together by a 12 year old. I never received any chips nor sauce, I wanted bottled water and they had none.

I am sure that most people that have gone there this week will never come back. I never will. It will not last very long if they don't change things.
There was no menu to look up to except written menus you had to find, they were not offered, and the checkers expected you to come forward with your order.

C- and only because they were "New"

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Andddddddd I saw this coming a mile away.. You don't start building hype for a place by telling people that you have to play their rules.. Those tacos look pretty pathetic and I hope they were not expensive.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Oh, Thanks for reminding me - $4.00 Tacos. A $3.50 rip off.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mgmlot93 blasted them on yelp yesterday...  Said it was horrible.

They don't even warm their corn tortillas.  That's just wrong!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

True, by the time I got to the second Taco - the soft shell was almost hard.
I asked the checker how large they were, wondering how many to order, and she said two would be enough, if I had a nap in between.
She being (Non-discriminative biased word) I thought I might need to bring the second one home... Nope.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This will get a lot of unwanted business here:

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Interesting selection of drafts.. I wish I could have been at the meeting where the details were being ironed out and could have slapped some sense into them.. What a waste of an investment.. sad to see a place open to only be expecting it to shut down from their own incompetence.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I should open a taco truck up in the parking lot.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I should open a taco truck up in the parking lot.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The food was not even on par with some Taco Trucks I have tried.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

jessep28 wrote:I should open a taco truck up in the parking lot.
We could name it Screw You Tacos.. and only sell ground beef tacos!  :lafcry:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Those tacos look awful.  I was really looking forward to this place too.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have some friends who went and loved this place and they said they didn't have to wait a long time.  He has been involved in the restaurant business in the past and put together the great feast at their wedding himself.  So not sure what to think... guess i will have to try it out myself.
Last edited by Uffda on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I'll take one for the team since this place is very close to me but I'm gonna wait a few weeks to hope they get the kinks worked out during opening... and if it sucks I am telling the owner myself!
Voodoo Taco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Voodoo Taco »

guitarguy wrote:I'll take one for the team since this place is very close to me but I'm gonna wait a few weeks to hope they get the kinks worked out during opening... and if it sucks I am telling the owner myself!
I look forward to it. :)
IALADY
New to the Neighborhood

Post by IALADY »

I've been to VooDoo twice now.  And everyone in my 15 person office has been at least once.  Other than opening week issues (which are normal) it's been great food.  They had to work out a few kinks, but the food quality is good, tons of flavor and it's a unique to Omaha concept.  Plus, it's the best sign I've seen in a long time.

Most of the ladies in the office love it because 1 taco is plenty filling and it's a bargain at $4.00.  Most of they guys get two, and it's still cheaper than a sit-down or a lot of other fast-casuals.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I finally tried it tonight and I thought the food was pretty good. I had an alligator taco and a barbacoa taco both with their Dona sauce on the side. That sauce was probably has 'hot' as I will go as it opened up my sinuses. :-) Since I used my PinPoint card for a free welcome taco, I tried some chips and con queso. It was good with a little bit of a bite to it.

It took about 15 min for tacos but my chips were there before that so I had time to enjoy those and the red beer.

The owner was working the floor and he bought a round of drinks of the table behind me as something didnt show up at their table.

Tables for the most part were full and just a short line at the counter.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Voodoo Taco review: Meat’s good, but tacos aren’t magical
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The restaurant forgot to consider one thing: creating a good taco. We tried many and found little to go back for.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That was a bad review...  and of course all their fans jumped on the OWH...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Of course they would. But the most damning of the article is here:
All of Voodoos tortillas — the flour ones we tried and the corn ones that are also available — are pre-packaged
Unacceptable!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Everyone has their own tastes I suppose.  I took my mother out for her birthday. She choose The Egg and I.   I've seen better eggs served on aluminum plates cooked off a Coleman camping grill.   My sandwich was nothing spectacular either.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have eaten there a couple of times and I liked it. As for price - if they want a cheap taco there is always the dollar menu at Taco Bell  :D
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Or at real Mexican restaurants
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Axel wrote:Or at real Mexican restaurants
Yeah, I learned my lesson, I'll go to Azteca if I want a real non-24th St taco...